The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 05, 2017 6:49 am UTC

Dark Tower
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:I assume you didn't want any possible stagnation of choices.
Exactly, one of the issues I had with a previous game I modded as well as another where I played was that a roleblocker could perma-block a suspected PR or scum. So I introduced the 'no targeting the same player on consecutive nights' rule to all powers where it made sense. In that regard claiming alternate-night commuter might be more sensible, yes.
Idea of full commuter comes from me, however even though I provided fully written out false pm-s to all scum it was always up to them what parts to use and what to add. E.g. after all other roles were revealed LaserGuy could have confidently claimed Jailer to make his role sound more townie (they had a rolecop result on FF) but he went with the original suggestion which was simply RB because I didn't want to reveal to scum that there was no Jailer in the setup.

BoomFrog wrote:Also, I assume JimBob's item descriptions are from his PM. I like how they are all themed as junk found in the back of old comic books to hint at their uselessness.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun coming up with those!

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Fri May 05, 2017 10:13 am UTC

I for one would sign up for most things!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am UTC

SDK wrote:YOLOSWAG was talking about running one. Whatever works though. I'll be in now that things have calmed down for the summer. Might even run a game of my own here finally.

In the 'good old days' multiple games ran parallel to each other. Can we not do it again? Or would that be too much for most people?

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Fri May 05, 2017 12:52 pm UTC

I'm a one-at-time kinda guy these days. I don't think we have the numbers to support two games, but we can always try.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Formerly NYC, now LA. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

Someone should run a Romeo & Juliet themed mafia game!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1012
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 05, 2017 3:13 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Someone should run a Romeo & Juliet themed mafia game!

Or another Shakespeare mafia! That one was hella fun.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Someone should run a Romeo & Juliet themed mafia game!

Civilians and then two mafia teams - the Capulets and the Montagues. Romeo and Juliet are lovers, but on different mafia teams, ensuring that they will both be dead by the endgame. Genius!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:@Boomfrog
Btw re: name spelling (thank you for getting it right!) - the easiest way is to just shorten it to dim. And for what it's worth, it doesn't terribly bother me when you misspell it.
But it did bother you a little, so sorry for that. I'm a reckless speller, I misspelled definitely as defiantly for a few years on this forum before someone finally pointed it out. Please don't hesitate to correct me, I love being corrected, it makes me more correct.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 pm UTC

Except sometimes when you correct him he starts calling you CDK for fun. :P
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm UTC

Oh man, Shakespeare mafia was my first game. I was Julius Caesar and could doublevote people, that was a fun introduction to the forum.

I'm still kicking around ideas for a game to run. I think I've got like 9 out of 13 roles down, but I'm in no rush to jump in the queue as a heads up to anyone considering running something.

User avatar
flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby flicky1991 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

Dark Tower
Spoiler:
Hahahahaha. Seriously, watching townies getting it wrong/half-right, scum implicating other scum, all the confusion going on here... I love watching this as an outsider. (Another reason not to play. :wink: )
Discord for Forum Games posters (people from other parts of the forum are allowed too :P )
---
adopted by emlightened

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 05, 2017 9:58 pm UTC

Dark Tower:
Spoiler:
I'm disappointed that Frozen didn't cop me as that weakens my case a bit, but hopefully this still works. Putting all my townie credit on the line with this one.

If YOLO is a real commuter, this is going to be rough for us. On the plus side, town doesn't have any kills.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Oh man, Shakespeare mafia was my first game. I was Julius Caesar and could doublevote people, that was a fun introduction to the forum.

I'm still kicking around ideas for a game to run. I think I've got like 9 out of 13 roles down, but I'm in no rush to jump in the queue as a heads up to anyone considering running something.
Shakespeare II saw me as Brutus with a double vote! And I actually used it to lynch my target D1 (I was a lyncher, who won after my target died, but only if they died before me, and only if Town also won). I'll play anything, but maybe not two at a time, especially if they are at similar points in the game (i.e. don't start two games simultaneously if you want me in both).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Formerly NYC, now LA. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

As long as people don't expect me to be able to post during work hours (so some kind of an extreme turbo), I'll play anything. My work environment changed a bit so I have much less time throughout the workday, but my hours are slightly better and more predictable (at least till September).
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Sat May 06, 2017 3:46 am UTC

I'm going to stick to one game at a time for now too.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm UTC

One game for me. I would (reluctantly) make an exception for a newbie game, anything to encourage new players to join our community. mpolo, is the Shakespeare game newbie friendly?

The Dark Tower
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Idea of full commuter comes from me, however even though I provided fully written out false pm-s to all scum it was always up to them what parts to use and what to add.
So scum had powers they could false claim too? I think I’m going back to “how is mafia supposed to lose this game?”

BoomFrog wrote:Edit: Look how interested YOLOSWAG ​suddenly is in the game. It's because he's SK and finally cares about the outcome of the lynch.
I think you can say the something similar about SDK. He spent the first two days posting most of his analysis the last day before deadline. Now he’s suddenly interested in posting analysis early in the day.

I’m still very disappointed and honestly quite discouraged that on D2 everyone just assumed that I was killed because I was townie, not because my reads might actually be good. Everything is there: mafia read on jimbob, and suspicion on SDK for not going after him (later defending him). Finally, D3 someone looks at my content, and it’s scum bussing scum. Also, if dimochka is town he has a good record of picking out scum on D1 and everyone should know that by now.

The Dark Tower @flicky
Spoiler:
flicky1991 wrote:Hahahahaha. Seriously, watching townies getting it wrong/half-right, scum implicating other scum, all the confusion going on here... I love watching this as an outsider. (Another reason not to play. :wink: )
I know for my part I always try to put on a good show for the spectators. It also helps me keep going when the game is slow and everyone is lurking to know that someone is watching and interested, like when I was seriously floundering here. You, adnapemit, Deva, and plytho saved me!

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

The Dark Tower (@bessie)
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:So scum had powers they could false claim too? I think I’m going back to “how is mafia supposed to lose this game?”
Please let me know what would be in your opinion the ideal solution when it comes to mass-claims. Should scum be instantly identified because they have no real abilities (like in Diablo)?
In my opinion mass-claims should not decide the game so I gave scum full townie role-pm-s to false-claim if necessary. However I think my main contribution in this regard is only the flavor part (giving a character that could have that power) as otherwise the claimed powers are basically the same as their real ones. I mean what do you think e.g. jimbob would have claimed if I don't give him any suggestions? I'm 100% sure that it would have been Inventor.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Sat May 06, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

Dark Tower
Spoiler:
I agree, claiming shouldn't decide anything by itself but should be a piece of the puzzle to chew on and promote discussion. I fully support full false claim PMs bring provided to scum, and town should know that mass claims are almost always bad for town in a well designed game.

I'll reserve judgement till the end, but my impression so far is that this game was very well designed and thoughtfully run. Scum are winning because they played well.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

Dark Tower:
Spoiler:
I keep somehow persuading myself that Townies are actually scum, when I know that they aren't. Some players just seem to be so easy to paint as scummy when looked at from a certain point of view. If I weren't scum, I'm pretty confident that my read of the two HBCs would be the same.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

The Dark Tower @Sabrar
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:In my opinion mass-claims should not decide the game so I gave scum full townie role-pm-s to false-claim if necessary. However I think my main contribution in this regard is only the flavor part (giving a character that could have that power) as otherwise the claimed powers are basically the same as their real ones. I mean what do you think e.g. jimbob would have claimed if I don't give him any suggestions? I'm 100% sure that it would have been Inventor.
I don’t get your point. You gave scum townie-ish powers. They could claim their real powers (or close variations). Why give them false power claims too? Doesn’t that give them even more information on the setup, since they now know some powers that are not in the game?

I have no problem with the character name safe claims. I think that’s a good idea because (lack of) flavor knowledge shouldn’t be deciding a game.

Sabrar wrote:Please let me know what would be in your opinion the ideal solution when it comes to mass-claims. Should scum be instantly identified because they have no real abilities (like in Diablo)?
I don’t get your point here either. Mafia #1 was lynched for being scummy (sorry, don’t take that wrong, I don’t mean anything negative by that). Serial killer was seen by the watcher. Mafia #2 was seen by the follower. Mafia #3 claimed mafia. How was mafia identified “because they have no real abilities”? And what does this have to do with giving scum additional false power claims if they have real townie powers they can use and claim?

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 am UTC

bessie wrote:One game for me. I would (reluctantly) make an exception for a newbie game, anything to encourage new players to join our community. mpolo, is the Shakespeare game newbie friendly?


I would say yes. The roles may have little quirks because of the the character traits, but I think that should not discourage a new player. I will add this to the signup.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Sun May 07, 2017 11:47 am UTC

My first game was a bastard mod game where the mod was trying to kill all the players. I got a listener role with no clear win condition iirc. I was mafia with secret allies that we didn't know each other. Ended up dying because my allies didn't see my signal that I sent them with a message I got to send so voted to lynch me.

Would definitely recommend being thrown into the deep end like that. It was fun!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 am UTC

Also will shakespeare have optional post restrictions like last time? Because I wasn't a fan of them personally.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sun May 07, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

Dark Tower (@bessie)
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:You gave scum townie-ish powers. They could claim their real powers (or close variations). Why give them false power claims too? Doesn’t that give them even more information on the setup, since they now know some powers that are not in the game?
I think power duplication is rare on this forum so if at any point 2 players claim e.g. Tracker then everyone else will immediately assume that one of them is scum. Therefore giving False Inventor to scum is basically letting them know that there is no real Inventor in the game, so me giving them the same as false-claim isn't really giving out too much info.
Of course if your main problem is that scum has townie-looking powers then all I can say that it was on purpose and I apologise if that doesn't fit into your sense of balance. I think if scum is not given good false-claims then mass-claim on D1 could decide the game and I would like to avoid that.
bessie wrote:How was mafia identified “because they have no real abilities”?
I phrased that sentence incorrectly, I didn't meant to imply that that was the reason, just giving an example.

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 pm UTC

Madge wrote:My first game was a bastard mod game where the mod was trying to kill all the players. I got a listener role with no clear win condition iirc. I was mafia with secret allies that we didn't know each other. Ended up dying because my allies didn't see my signal that I sent them with a message I got to send so voted to lynch me.

Would definitely recommend being thrown into the deep end like that. It was fun!
Um, that would be an interesting newbie game. :)


The Dark Tower @Sabrar
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Of course if your main problem is that scum has townie-looking powers then all I can say that it was on purpose and I apologise if that doesn't fit into your sense of balance.
I think perhaps we are misunderstanding each other, which seems to be a theme with every game. :? I don’t see where I implied I thought this was a problem (I don’t think it’s a problem), and I don’t see why the conversation keeps returning to this.

I’ve been typing and deleting for 20 minutes, because I realize I’m probably misinterpreting your false claims. It read to me like here’s your townie power (OK) and here’s another townie power you can false claim that isn’t in the game (why would they need this?). I will shut up about this until endgame because I shouldn’t be commenting on things where I only have partial information, and I apologize if you think this is an attack. Your games are always among my favorites, and one reason is because of the great care you put in to developing interesting roles.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sun May 07, 2017 10:08 pm UTC

Dark Tower (@bessie)
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:I think perhaps we are misunderstanding each other, which seems to be a theme with every game. :? I don’t see where I implied I thought this was a problem (I don’t think it’s a problem), and I don’t see why the conversation keeps returning to this.
This was definitely me misinterpreting you, sorry about that.
Would it make this conversation easier if I just copy-paste here all the scum-pm-s? Probably:
Role: André Linoge a.k.a. 'Legion' (Storm of the Century, tv-series)
You've been walking the Earth since millennia, not exactly immortal of your own but capable of acquiring a new host if you can blackmail someone to hand over their child to you. You have had your fun inflicting nightmares and driving people to suicide but now the Crimson King himself took notice of your abilities and recruited you to his cause. You've managed to worm your way along with a few others into the newly formed group of Roland Deschain who is the main threat to your new Master. You are for the moment outnumbered so you'll have to be very cautious when eliminating all his supporters.
Abilities:
- You can find out everyone's deepest, darkest secrets in the blink of an eye. You're a Rolecop, each night you may target another player to receive the name of his/her role and ability/abilities (you will not receive alignment, win-condition or any specifics of the ability)
- You have private chat with the other members of your team, jimbobmacdoodle and LaserGuy
Alignment: You are Mafia and win when all factions opposing you are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.
Additional info: I don't want to limit your creativity and force you into a specific false-claim. King's universe is massive and there are a lot of good candidates to choose from. However in case you're flavor-blind or just want to have a safe claim as a backup, here is an example role-pm you might have received from me in other circumstances, feel free to use any part of it or none at all:
Role: Red (Shawshank Redemption)
You made a terrible mistake in your youth and not a day goes by where you don't feel regret for the crime you've committed. Society decided that you served your time after 40 years in prison and they set you free in an environment that completely changed from what you used to know. You've just started to reintegrate yourself when an unknown force has transported you to a mostly deserted world along with a few others to protect something they call the 'Beam'. Your instincts allow you to sense that the intentions of this force are genuine and this is a cause worth fighting for, however you're also sure that there are evildoers in the group who conspired against the rest of you.
Ability: You're the type of man who makes connections easily and who is able to find out quickly whatever he needs. You're a Follower, each night you may target another player to find out what kind of ability s/he used (categories are: killing/protective/investigative/other). However you may not target the same player on consecutive nights as you constantly need to expand your network.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.


Role: Todd Bowden (Apt Pupil)
To all outward appearances you were the perfect teenager but you always knew that there is dark streak within. It begin innocently enough with a morbid fascination regarding the Holocaust but soon lead to consorting with a war criminal and even murder. After a while it became increasingly hard to avoid detection. Every cloud has a silver lining though and the Crimson King himself took notice of your abilities and recruited you to his cause. You've managed to worm your way along with a few others into the newly formed group of Roland Deschain who is the main threat to your new
Master. You are for the moment outnumbered so you'll have to be very cautious when eliminating all his supporters.
Abilities:
- You make plans well in advance to distract others who could be a problem for your activities. You're a standard Roleblocker but you may not target the same player on consecutive nights as that would make them suspicious of you.
- You were a model student and no-one suspected you of any wrong-doings. You appear as Town to all investigative abilities that determine alignment.
- You have private chat with the other members of your team, jimbobmacdoodle and SDK
Alignment: You are Mafia and win when all factions opposing you are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.
Additional info: I don't want to limit your creativity and force you into a specific false-claim. King's universe is massive and there are a lot of good candidates to choose from. However in case you're flavor-blind or just want to have a safe claim as a backup, here is an example role-pm you might have received from me in other circumstances, feel free to use any part of it or none at all:
Role: Father Callahan (Salem's Lot, The Dark Tower)
A formerly pious man, you lost your faith when confronted by a vampire and have lived a complicated life ever since. After a lot of adversity (not to mention dying once) you seem to have found your place in Calla Bryn Sturgis where you continue the work God originally intended you to do. But now it seems God has another task for you as he directed your path to coincide with Roland Deschain's, whom you're supposed to help to protect the Beam, the thing that holds the entire multiverse together and prevents it from slipping into total chaos.
Ability: Ever since you found your faith again you seem to be able to stop the actions of others when you think they would hurt you or your friends, either by reasoning with them if they're human, or by channeling your faith through your crucifix if faced with monsters. You're a Roleblocker, however you may not target the same player on consecutive nights as they build up a small immunity against your words/power and you need to wait a bit until that dissipates.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.


Role: Leland Gaunt (Needful Things)
A reptilian demon in human form, your main purpose of life was to collect souls by tricking people into selling them to you. However last time you tried this you were chased away by someone who was canny enough to look through your disguise. Every cloud has a silver lining though and the Crimson King himself took notice of your abilities and recruited you to his cause. You've managed to worm your way along with a few others into the newly formed group of Roland Deschain who is the main threat to your new Master. You are for the moment outnumbered so you'll have to be very cautious when eliminating all his supporters.
Abilities:
- You always seem to know what others covet and can use this to your advantage. You are a False Inventor, able to give people what they think they need, though your gifts always turn out to be useless or even harmful in the end. Each night you may target another (non-Mafia) player to give him one of the items from the list below, granting them a 1-shot power that can be used simultaneously with their own abilities. Every item can only be given once and you may not give multiple items to the same player as each gift must be carefully tailored to look like the receipient's heart's desire.
A bottle containing a couple of mysterious pills - supposedly gives 1-shot Doc power, in reality prevents Doc powers to work on the target for that night
A sun-glass with X-ray vision capabilities - supposedly gives 1-shot Cop power by looking at the true nature of the target, however the X-ray doesn't work and the result is always Town no matter the target
A battery operated security camera - supposedly gives 1-shot Watcher power by planting near a target, however you may pre-edit the recordings, specifying in advance the result. You can make it show 'No result' or showing a single specific player. You must declare whether you use this option at the time you hand over the item, otherwise it reverts to a standard Watcher-power.
A cloak made of a material similar to chameleon-skin - gives 1-shot Bulletproof by hiding the wearer from the killer, however it does not protect against the Mafia NK as you know the weakness of the cloak and how to circumvent it.

- You have private chat with the other members of your team, LaserGuy and SDK
Alignment: You are Mafia and win when all factions opposing you are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.
Additional info: I don't want to limit your creativity and force you into a specific false-claim. King's universe is massive and there are a lot of good candidates to choose from. However in case you're flavor-blind or just want to have a safe claim as a backup, here is an example role-pm you might have received from me in other circumstances, feel free to use any part of it or none at all:
Role: Ben Hanscom (It)
You've always possessed the mind of an engineer and knew instinctively how things worked. That came very handy when a demonic entity from an another dimension threatened to destroy your town and everyone in it. You've almost managed to forget about the incident and return to a normal life, when an unknown force has transported you to a mostly deserted world along with a few others to protect something they call the 'Beam'. Your lingering psychic abilities (from your time spent with the rest of the Losers' Club) allow you to sense that the intentions of this force are genuine and this is a cause worth fighting for, however you're also sure that there are evildoers in the group who conspired against the rest of you.
Ability: You are an Inventor, able to craft simple devices from common materials. Each night you may target another player to give him one of the items from the list below, granting them a 1-shot power that can be used simultaneously with their own abilities. Every item can only be given once and you may not give multiple items to the same player as you don't trust either of them with that much power.
List would be same as above but with only the 'true' powers that the items would give.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.


Role: Pennywise (It)
You're a demonic entity of evil, originating from a different universe. You hibernate a lot but are extremely hungry once awake. You found a nice feeding spot in Derry where you spent more than 2 centuries, however a bunch of kids recently managed to drive you off. Finding yourself among a group of travellers you must satisfy your hunger by all means necessary. You don't care about the Beam or the multiverse, your only concern is yourself and your well-being. You just need to take care that nobody notices anything strange before it's too late.
Abilities:
- You feed off the fear humans emit when facing imminent death. Each night you may target another player to kill them.
- You're a shapeshifting eldritch being from another dimension. Usually anything thrown at you just bounces off, giving you immunity to all night actions that target you. However your weakness has always been a concerted effort from those pesky humans, that's what led to your recent defeat as well. Should you be targeted by at least 3 separate abilities during the same night your current form will collapse and you will immediately die.
Alignment: You are Independent and win if you are the last player alive or this outcome is inevitable.
Additional info: I don't want to limit your creativity and force you into a specific false-claim. King's universe is massive and there are a lot of good candidates to choose from. However in case you're flavor-blind or just want to have a safe claim as a backup, here is an example role-pm you might have received from me in other circumstances, feel free to use any part of it or none at all:
Role: Johnny Marinville (Desperation)
How the mighty have fallen. Once you were on the cover of People, now you're just a washed-up writer battling with his demons. Trying to recapture some of the old fire that drove you, you decided to hop on your Harley and travel across the country to collect materials for a new book. However an unknown force has suddenly transported you to a mostly deserted world along with a few others to protect something they call the 'Beam'. Your instincts allow you to sense that the intentions of this force are genuine and this is a cause worth fighting for, however you're also sure that there are evildoers in the group who conspired against the rest of you.
Ability: Ever since you returned from the war you've always been a coward, running from danger and thinking only about yourself. However with the help of others you may find some hidden resolve within yourself should the need arise. You're a Commuter, making you immune to all night-actions. However you are also a 1-shot PGO. Once during the game you may choose to face the dangers head-on and let all who wish you ill close to you and detonate them with the explosives in your possession. If at least 1 player targets you during the night you and all who targeted you will die in the explosion. If noone targeted you then you survive the night though you lose the explosives.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.


Feel free to ask about anything.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 am UTC

Oh wait... I got my first two games combined.

My "adacore tries to kill you all" and first ever role was a simple town doctor. Someone claimed doctor and I never counterclaimed because I was like "DOCTOR SHOULD NEVER CLAIM I WILL GET KILLED", which means the scum who claimed doctor got a free ride. That was dumb in retrospect...

Then I played webby's Crush mafia as a vanilla townie

THEN I played Vytron's "mafia the prequel redux", where I got this role:

Vytron wrote:Description: You woke up that day, with a huge headache. You were on a big mansion, with plenty of rooms, several pools (some to swim, others to play), huge TV screens, a collection of classic cars parked in the garage, and well, you were really rich, evidently. But the pain wouldn't go away. You went to the bathroom and freaked out, because, you didn't recognize the guy in the mirror, who is that guy? Who are you? It seems, you don't remember anything.
Name: You don't remember your name!
Role: You don't remember your role!
Alignment: You don't remember your alignment!
Powers: You have amnesia, every day, and every night, you don't remember who you are.
Abilities: You can listen to conversations of other players by night, and you can send them a single, anonymous message in the night (they will receive it, but they won't know it was from you.)
Win condition: You don't remember your win condition!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Mon May 08, 2017 6:01 am UTC

The Dark Tower @Sabrar
Spoiler:
Thank you I understand things a lot better now. Mafia’s powers appear very well balanced for this game. The safe claims make perfect sense, as they are quite similar to the mafia powers, and for the roleblocker and inventor really weren’t needed as they could have just claimed their powers. The flavor is brilliant as usual, and it seems a shame that such well-written roles were “wasted” on safe claims!

This last part of D3 will be quite interesting, mafia is soooo close.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 am UTC

Madge wrote:Also will shakespeare have optional post restrictions like last time? Because I wasn't a fan of them personally.


I was thinking more in the line of having "role-playing" restrictions related to your character traits, but I have to work out how to make that not onerous for the players or the mod. Although if someone proposed a trait that would be an obvious post restriction, I might give that to the person on the grounds that he proposed it himself…
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 am UTC

Playing "in a personality" sounds like it could be fun!

I just had trouble reading those long iambic pentameter lines that had people forcing their prose to fir the format rather than be written clearly.

No doubt I would have had a grand time of it as scum, but as town it was frustrating.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I need to think of personality traits...
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Tue May 09, 2017 3:46 pm UTC

Dark Tower
Spoiler:
@dimochka, claiming usually is beneficial, but yes, I was attacking you because I was scum - you were counterwagon to my teammate! In the future, if you don't want to claim for ideological reasons, just say so and I will drop it 100%. Some people don't believe in claiming. I don't understand that point of view, but I'm not going to attack you for it (though I may try to lynch you for it on occasion :wink: ).
@freezeblade, hello! :mrgreen:
@bessie, your GoJoe posts make me sad that we killed you because I know you would have had fun, but also very glad we killed you because your reads we so good! Also because of your cop shot aimed at me, of course. I hate getting found out by cops. :P
@Gopher, apparently you can read me. At least, when I make dumb mistakes which truthfully were mistakes! Well, except the thing where I didn't use both abilities - that was intentional.

It's fun seeing everyone somehow immediately *know* that I am scum as soon as they die. There was quite a bit of suspicion on me this game, as usual, but thankfully not quite enough. Guess our kill targets were good choices.

@Sabrar/flicky, if you made for shorter days, I couldn't play. That's fine, and I know some people prefer that, but my favourite style of game is a slow one. Two weeks per game Day is perfect for me! I can handle playing a Day in a week, but no faster than that. I need time to wrap my head around things. Also, with our typical track record, you might have entire days where a certain player doesn't even post (potentially me included if I get busy for a couple days).

Yeah, I don't think mafia was overpowered here at all. Roleblocker was basically required with those townside roles in the mix, and my and jimbob's abilities were nothing special. By far the most powerful ability we had was daychat. Seemed very well balanced to me (though the SK was annoying!).

Re: Fake Claims, this is something that should be done more often here, I think. In a flavor-based game, I always give my scum teams a list of names that are guaranteed not to be in the game. I've never gone so far as to write up a full fake role PM for them (complete with town versions of our abilities), but I don't think that's particularly over the top. It was helpful, but not required.

Anyway, good game again. Hope the spectators had fun too. :)
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm UTC

I've put Crossfire back into signups (If you signed up before, I removed you.)

I'll leave a day or two for signups, and the game only goes for a few days. Lets get another one in before Shakespeare starts up!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:00 pm UTC

Mpolo, for the traits in Shakespeare, are you looking for things like "speaks in iambic pentameter" or abilities like roleblocker?

User avatar
kalira
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby kalira » Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Mpolo, for the traits in Shakespeare, are you looking for things like "speaks in iambic pentameter" or abilities like roleblocker?


Usually when a mod asks for character traits, it's things like "has stage fright" or "can't find his light" or "overbearing asshat" or "addicted to throat lozenges" (those may be bad examples, so I'll let mpolo speak for himself on that, but character traits =/= abilities). I know there have been games in the past that used character traits, though I can't for the life of me think of one atm -- anyone got one they remember?

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 pm UTC

Pretty sure there hasn't been a game like that since I've been here, at least.

EDIT: Wow, have I been here for three years already? Time flies.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 pm UTC

kalira wrote: I know there have been games in the past that used character traits, though I can't for the life of me think of one atm -- anyone got one they remember?

mpolo's Thanksgiving Turkeys is the only one I can think of right now. There's probably others.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 pm UTC

Shakespeare 3
Spoiler:
1-shot Doctor here (obv Town), with my protection not working against supernatural attacks. That means at least 2 kills per night (unless Vig has it) and me almost being VT. Oh well.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby SDK » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Sorry bessie! I'm town, but apparently you have to die in order for me to win! I hope you're not town so I don't have to feel bad about that, though I suspect you are (because otherwise, what's the point?). I'll probably just drops hints that you're town and try to get you nightkilled.

This is by far the scummiest town role PM I've ever received. I have no kill or anything, but I do have the ability to force people not to vote me. Scummy. The only endearing quality to my role is a Doctor-eque ability to protect people from supernatural attacks, though I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Should be fun!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Shakespeare III:
Spoiler:
I feel like I missed out by not role-playing in my confirmation post...! My traits are womaniser (why did I submit that???), a role-playing restriction, and peacemaker, which means I can forcibly prevent two players from voting for each other, if they are, for the rest of the day, by PMing mpolo. I have literally no idea how I'd usefully use this ability at the moment. My "main" ability gives me a 1-shot "supernatural" cop-like ability. I get informed if he is supernatural. I have no idea what that means either (at the moment - will figure that out later).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Being Town is waaay less stressful. :D
Though I know I'll hate the nights were I'll be anxious to find out if I'd been NK-ed or not.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kalira and 11 guests