The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

Crossover Mafia:

Spoiler:
I'm a normal bus driver. I swapped SirGabriel and #HBC|Zyth last night. I would really like the day to start!
Image <-- Evil experiment

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
This is taking so long what's the hold up Marshy :evil: I made a whole case and everything. I stayed up until 6am, had a half hour to get to work AND prepare my stuff to go out of town to a friends house. I stayed up all night re-reading the thread thoroughly, man did I find some things. Then,
I played the game where my character hails from. That's right, Crystalis. I heard it's a damn GOOD game, so much respect to the mods for choosing that. You went all out, I'm sure. BUT OPEN THE DAMN THREAD PLZ. Thank you. I'm enjoying this game, I hope we the town wins.

Also my guess is [Moody Boomfrog Sabrar FrozenFlame Madge] Scum
[Peaceful Whale SirG] Indy

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
I hope I'm not dead. If I am, I hope red can earn his keep. I think our best chance of winning is for him to keep me alive and sacrifice himself at end game but I can't force him to do that and saying, "I'm a better player then you so die for me." seems mean.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Getting impatient...

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Is everyone else getting anxious about day start?

ETA: Warning the following post by Peaceful Whale has crossover spoilers, active players, do not read.
Last edited by plytho on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
he him his

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:51 am UTC

Edit: Crossover.
Spoiler:
I am slightly worried, 3 people suddenly posted here... I wonder what they're saying, I bet Sabar is loving the long night. I really don't. :P

Edit: I'm an idiot, thanks plytho
Last edited by Peaceful Whale on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Fridge
Are you sure that's a Fridge spoiler? I'm afraid to click.
he him his

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 pm UTC

He means Crossover, I looked.
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm UTC

Thanks, flicky, I added a warning to the preceding post.
he him his

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I really hope i'm not in a multi-ball game. If this isn't multi-ball, I pretty much feel that the scum are ZEN BESSIE PEACE WHALE. I really wish this megaman person would claim their info. I guess for now I have to pretend like I town read some people because I'm not even sure who's scum in a multi-scum game. I honestly don't know how to play it as town. I feel like I'm playing monkey in the middle.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I'd lynch Red Ryu on the strength of that Light Yagami jpeg alone.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Bessie is usually right when she tunnels. Is she scum when she's wrong? Stay tuned to find out. Well, if you're reading this thread I guess you already know :D

It does mean I have a vote on me. I Can use my power! Do I want to make bessie my friend? Best case scenario: she's town and becomes convinced I am too by the end of the day. Worst case scenario: she's scum and I out my power to the other scum. Something in between: she's town but doesn't trust me at all so our chat is just more fighting. Maybe that's a worse case than the previous one.

I really like how hard my role is :D
he him his

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote: heury hasn't posted in 10 days. If he were scum, there's no way his buddies wouldn't have done something about that by now.

Unless, of course, his scumbuddy is already dead; wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Seriously, heury really should get his ass back in the game, or explain why he needs subbed out. I'd do an empty quote on him in here, except that seems like it'd be skirting the rules a bit.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 pm UTC

For those who spend time here and in FaiD, this might interest you.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 am UTC

I’m not authorized to see that...?
What is it?
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 am UTC

Free as in Destitute is the sooper sekrit part of the forum where you have to opt into "The Truly Free" (if you apply, you will be accepted) to participate. It is unmoderated (except for rare occasions), does not allow editing of posts, and has developed its own culture separate from the rest of the forums.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 am UTC

Cool.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:00 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote: and has developed its own culture separate from the rest of the forums.

So, it's kind of like the Time thread, but with fewer molpies. :D

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:05 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Free as in Destitute ... does not allow editing of posts

Wouldn't mafia work better there then?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am UTC

....I will never edit posts again....
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Would anyone be interested + willing to be a mentor for somitomi / Peaceful Whale (as our two new players) for the X-Men Game? I thought that was an awesome idea from last game. Please PM me if you are.

Way too late, obviously, but I just wanted to mention that though I do not have time to play or replace into games at the moment, I would be happy to act as a mentor to anyone who would like that. I don't check in here often these days, so send me a PM and I can help!

I might be able to start playing again in a few months, so I'll see ya'll around either way. :D
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Thanks BoomFrog for pointing out how bold it would be for me to do what I did in fridge as scum again. I'd been thinking that myself, but as Sabrar said it looks a lot stronger coming from someone else.

I'm having some trouble getting good reads today. Gamma and Spak look bad and are lynchable but that's about it now. I'm also still concerned about Zen and bessie. I don't think bessie has been contributing all that much today (I guess in part because she's tunneling on me) her defense seemed to become weaker near the end. I'm worried about trying to build a case against her because I don't want more of the same but she feels suspicious.

Mpolo and Madge aren't contributing that much and LaserGuy's push on me is weird.

I also have two people to choose from: bessie and LaserGuy.

I'm getting a bit behind on the thread I think. I've avoided the Judgement speculation. Was LaserGuy going to die from that? In that case there's no choice I guess. Well, if I read bessie as scum I might not invite her to my chat.
he him his

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I feel we are making some real progress in the game. Town might just win. I might have to protect myself again. I was losing motivation because I felt like there were two scumteams, but I realize that some of the townies may just be holding back on their reads. I had this weird feeling that Zen, Bessie, Peace Whale, and Mpolo were B-Scum but then I realized that they may just be scum since, Boomfrog still doesn't seem weird,
just lazy. I did dislike his way of getting on the Moody Wagon but that is it. Secretly I scumread LaserGuy but I have no ammo for him at the moment,
but he'll make himself vulnerable soon enough. FrozenFlame is getting better too. I disliked his post to me about being aggro, I thought FF + Sab were a team but not anymore.

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Madge just copied a lot of plytho's reasoning so there's two ways this goes down. One: she gets called out for it and no problems arise. Two: she doesn't get called out and give the people who attacked me for it all sorts of hell.

plytho

Postby plytho » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am UTC

Huh, weird things happened with my posts.

Crossover:
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
plytho wrote:I don't want to talk about Peaceful Whale's role. I want to talk about this, and only this:
plytho wrote:Re: Peaceful Whale’s soft claim and my response vs bessies
bessie wrote:As I am not the brightest or most clever player in this game, I’m sure that anything I noticed would also be noticed by everyone else.
I disagree with this on principle. I think, especially in a game as large as this one (but also in general), that it’s very easy for this kind of public information to get lost to some townies.
Some numbers for clarity: (assuming 5 scum and 15 townies for easy maths)
If 1 in 5 people notice A, all scum will know A and around 12 townies will miss it.
If 3 in 5 people notice B, all scum will know B and around 6 townies will miss it.
If 9 in 10 people notice C, all scum will know C and 1 or 2 townies might miss it.

So making sure this information is known by everyone is the townie thing to do in. That’s what I was getting at.
This point is all I wanted to make. It is a general case where we seem to have a different view on townie way to respond to public information that may be missed by other players. This is what I want to talk about. And I won't drop this until you acknowledge my view and we end up either in agreement about how to best handle this or we agree to have different, valid views on this kind of situation. The nature of Peaceful Whale's role is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

I don't want to drop this because I feel very strongly that this is a townie thing to do and I will keep doing it in future games. I want to talk this out so you know where I'm coming from next time I do something like this.

Well. …Ok…Let’s see if I can explain this calmly and rationally.

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

Listen, after the game hit me up. I will discuss statistics and game theory all day with you. I will talk your ear off. But too much of my D2 has been responding to the same points over and over again from you, and you’re keeping me from looking at anyone else. Or is that intentional? Are you worried I might actually have time to do a proper reads list? What will I find when I read jimbob?

Oh, and I’m not going to give you the answer you are fishing for. Vote me for it.

I want you to acknowledge that sharing public info is the townie thing to do or explain why not.
It's not intentional, I'm sorry for making you spend all your time on this. At every point I was hoping for a quick resolution.
No, in fact I'm looking forward to your reads list.
Not much, I think. You're a bit behind on the thread here (I know why.)

Will you give me the answer here in Gojoe? The major part of my motivation to keep pushing this is the underlined bit but I'm also genuinely very curious about what you think I've been fishing for.
Last edited by plytho on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
he him his

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:07 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Interesting that Zen posts his case after I state I'm going to sleep. That was tactical. He was viewing the whole time waiting for me to leave.
I'm convinced he's scum now for that. His tone is detached when speaking to me. It's 6AM, time to go to work. I wonder what I should do, let myself die or keep myself in the game? I don't want to burn out. Yet there is so much scum to catch. I also want to say that this whole game has plenty of good players in it. It is very stimulating and challenging to be in this game, I'm enjoying you all! I feel like town and scum are both having a close match here. At least, with the advantage tipping to town's favor right now. LaserGuy I have to hand it to you, really A+ in effort there. Yet I noticed the attempt to undermine me as top town read. It's easy to spot Zen resort to this as well.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:01 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
dimochka wrote:Would anyone be interested + willing to be a mentor for somitomi / Peaceful Whale (as our two new players) for the X-Men Game? I thought that was an awesome idea from last game. Please PM me if you are.

Way too late, obviously, but I just wanted to mention that though I do not have time to play or replace into games at the moment, I would be happy to act as a mentor to anyone who would like that. I don't check in here often these days, so send me a PM and I can help!

I might be able to start playing again in a few months, so I'll see ya'll around either way. :D
You should offer to replace into Crossover! There's only 39 pages of content after less than two days so far, with 18 players currently alive! That's nice and short right? :lol:
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
So, lets see. We have SirG/Amrock as a survivor/bomb, Madge as a semi-jester, and now Gamma claims defacto lyncher (allegedly anyway).
Basically means FrozenFlame was lying out of his butt about YOLO/Overswarm's mod preferences in an attempt to lull us into a false sense of security,
or YOLO/Overswarm decided to pick some more special roles for this game.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Spak it's funny that you say town has to side with the gang they feel is most likely to win. I feel I'm doing that right now. I'm choosing the Boom Boom Gang. Boom Sab and maybe Madge are prob B scum.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:You should offer to replace into Crossover! There's only 39 pages of content after less than two days so far, with 18 players currently alive! That's nice and short right? :lol:

That's actually what got me to stick my head in here again! I was PM'd asking if I'd like to. I looked at the thread and..... not gonna happen. :P
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:You should offer to replace into Crossover! There's only 39 pages of content after less than two days so far, with 18 players currently alive! That's nice and short right? :lol:

That's actually what got me to stick my head in here again! I was PM'd asking if I'd like to. I looked at the thread and..... not gonna happen. :P
I mentioned this in the game thread, but Crossover is now the longest game of Mafia, in terms of post count, on this forum. Next stop: longest thread in this forum. Only a little less than 700 pages to go before it overtakes Gojoe!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I love reading the mountain range of speculation about who all my teammates are, while all the while my actual teammate is lurking his ass off. :lol: Oh wait, that probably means that he's likely not going to use his powers for the second night in a row :roll: , including the possibility of making someone else scum upon his death should bessie prove immune somehow (I know he did that N0).

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Haven't posted here all game, hard just to keep up in the main thread.

Just had an epiphany that Zyth and BoomFrog are masons, which is incredibly obvious in retrospect and explains so much of what was going on.

Basically committed myself to dying at this point. Doesn't bother me too much, this game is exhausting.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
@Spak: You were right for all the wrong reasons. :mrgreen:

(Please don't put @Boomfrog on the outside of any spoilers. It'd look slightly suspicious. Thanks.)
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Glad we lynched Town and Gamma revealed himself indie, should make tomorrow easy if I'm right about Judgement mechanics (and why wouldn't I? :D ). It is actually great to have a second Mafia team, I can legitimately scum-hunt this way. Was funny to see EGW list all 3 of us as his top townies, are we just that good or is he scum as well not really caring about it?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
So... I think that Zyth and BoomFrog have between the two of them dropped maybe thirty breadcrumbs. What are the chances that EGW didn't see any of them? FrozenFlame? He's pushing Zyth=scum as well. Has bessie missed it too? Kind of looks like it. Ryu reading both as scum. jimbob doesn't make any mention of it and has both Zyth and BF as scummy. Hard to say about mpolo. plytho is reading both as kinda scummy... nobody noticed? Sabrar is buying what EGW is selling.

I'm gonna have to double-check to make sure I'm not seeing things.

Zyth wrote:because clearly Boom knew what I was doing.

Boom's thoughts have consistently aligned with my own, many of which I have/had not shared.

At least I still have Boom.

Boom town

Moody told me that Sabrar would be the way to go. If I gave it to a dgames player and they would likely deduce that it came from another dgames player. Would've been bad if they were scum.

Obviously BoomFrog did.
jim is the strongest scum player of the 3. We take him out and the rest falls apart. I just have a feeling about this.

Haha, I was close. This is definitely BoomFrog's read. He was very leery of jimbob, SDK, and I after Dark Tower.
We aren't lynching Boom, Zyth...

btw our reads have diverged o:

This is an awful post. Whoever gets my Hidden Message ability, please send me Laser & Boom.

The Boom tunnel. So fake. It's actually really funny to me that people aren't able to see it.

Zyth freaks out over my dropping him and Boom as the sharks (jets?) scumteam.

BoomFrog is a bit more subtle, I guess
BoomFrog wrote:The mind meld is strong. Woof. Woof.

Zyth - There are two possibilities: The Cojones Museum has requested Zen donate her amazing collection in the event of her death or Zen is town. I know most people are bad at reading the "wagon-omics" but Zen was sincerely only trying to tempt scum with a bad counter wagon, she want trying to stop the Moody lynch.

That said, there are more details to the ballsyness of a Zen-moody scum team. Like putting Moody as "shrug stick figure". You don't put that as your read of a scummate. It's so obviously suspicious.

That's just the obvious stuff, not counting all of the constant references back and forth and soft defending each other.

So... did everyone really miss this? I... find that hard to believe.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 am UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Great. So we mislynched (probably) and my other top scum read looks likely to be indie. I still have no idea how or when I should use my ability. Options are 1) Save it for end game, as a way of preventing my own mislynch. 2) Use it now for the same reason. 3) Try and figure out how to use it to generate lots of info on the two potential wagons.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:15 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
SDK wrote:

I mentioned this in the game thread, but Crossover is now the longest game of Mafia, in terms of post count, on this forum. Next stop: longest thread in this forum. Only a little less than 700 pages to go before it overtakes Gojoe!

At this rate it'll get there. Seriously, 6 pages in 24 hours?

How many rules do I need to break for an automatic modkill? Asking for a friend :lol:
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am UTC

I’ve got 3...
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 pm UTC

Crossover:

Spoiler:
So, these are the three people that voted for me today:
-Gamma is indiescum and isn't a useful chat partner
-LaserGuy, if he survives GLaDOS is probably town. Reasoning: he seemed quite willing to be the last judgement vote on amrock near the end of the Day. He might be scum and know that the judgement vote won't trigger GLaDOS but that would mean his power will trigger GLaDOS so he'll die. So if he survives he's very likely town. If he's scum he's been playing dangerous gambits all day.
-bessie: no one is more convinced about my scumminess than bessie. Unfortunately that's affecting her reads. I also still have some doubts about her townieness. I'll have to to a real good reread of her to see if I can convince myself she's townie (one point in her favor: Peaceful Whale said he though she was town unprompted. I think that's his night result. I also think scum might have picked up on that and will nightkill her). If I can't I'll have to hope LaserGuy doesn't die.

If LaserGuy survives I'll get him to join my chat. If he doesn't I might risk it with bessie (if I'm not convinced by my scumread on her). There's also the risk that bessie will be the nightkill.
he him his

Return to “Mafia”