The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

cjdrum

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby cjdrum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:existential_elevator, pick DttC! It's fun because you either get to be scum, and practice your scum shenanigans in a friendly environment, or you get to be a frickin' vigilante!

Also because the Designer ability set is so ridiculous that it'll be even MORE swingy than DttC is. :twisted: DttC only has about a 0.1% chance of ending on N1, but I'd give Designer about a 30% chance of ending on (or before) N1. :P

(probably what he said)

Wait... Designer is friendly too!
And if it has such a high chance of ending quickly, you could join both! :P

And... You could... Practice your scum whatever... AND be a frickin' Vigilante[1]! Or be a Town Frickin' Vigilante AND something!

[1] Subject pending change.
:shock:

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Lorenz wrote:How would the voting work? I could see townies just not voting and night-killing everyone who voted?

I have a system in place. No Lynch is not permitted, ties result in a random lynch favoring town, and players are not permitted to refer to cryptography, the initial player list order, or any other external source of randomness. The town are supposed to actually vote for who they think is scum; if anyone comes up with another way to circumvent that, I'll ban that way too (but I think I've covered all the easy ways.)

"If anyone votes, they get vig killed" Random lynch favors town=optimal strat then.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

cjdrum wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:existential_elevator, pick DttC! It's fun because you either get to be scum, and practice your scum shenanigans in a friendly environment, or you get to be a frickin' vigilante!

Also because the Designer ability set is so ridiculous that it'll be even MORE swingy than DttC is. :twisted: DttC only has about a 0.1% chance of ending on N1, but I'd give Designer about a 30% chance of ending on (or before) N1. :P

(probably what he said)

Wait... Designer is friendly too!
And if it has such a high chance of ending quickly, you could join both! :P

And... You could... Practice your scum whatever... AND be a frickin' Vigilante[1]! Or be a Town Frickin' Vigilante AND something!

[1] Subject pending change.

...So... which has the higher chance of bastardry? Because that'd be the one I'd want in on. I think whatever one I don't play I'll volunteer to replace in :P

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

I've been considering changing the official bastardry level, so uh...

Definitely sign up to replace into D2tC. :lol:

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:"If anyone votes, they get vig killed" Random lynch favors town=optimal strat then.

Perhaps you didn't understand. Random lynch favors town to be lynched.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

cjdrum wrote:I've been considering changing the official bastardry level, so uh...

Definitely sign up to replace into D2tC. :lol:

Aye aye capt'n ;)

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

ah, gotcha.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Without discussing the current game too specifically, maybe we should have a maximum time limit for all games to run. Something generous like two or three months...

It seems unfair to the mods waiting in line, and a unfair to the players as well as many feel they have a responsibility to stay in a game they signed up for.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

tried that discussion before, it wasn't well received. I personally believe homestar has gone on long enough to have completed a few times over, considering the extremely long length given to each game day. All long deadlines do is kill games IMO, since players get bored, and nothing really happens. No offense to ahippo or DL intended here, but homestar is a prime example of my earlier arguments against open ended game lengths, as it doesn't put any pressure on the mods to keep their games moving at a decent pace.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

See, back in the day (oh dear) mods generally called ad-hoc deadlines if the game was slowing down? So, you know, you don't have these awful artificial deadlines in the middle of interesting discussion. If things are slowing, you haven't reached majority, you say "guys, deadline now in one week/day/hour/second" and that shimmies things along.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

That still happens. In some games.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Is no-one interested in AvP Mafia?

Unless we start getting a surge in sign-ups, I might have to pull it. I may be able to run with less players, but still, a minimum of 11 would be needed.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 am UTC

The Lydhampstead Mystery
Spoiler:
webby wrote:I like this strategy - several townie points to PE. :P
What the hell do I use these for, though? :twisted:
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 am UTC

Because I'm bored, here's a list of holders of the 'longest game on the fora' award in chronological order (measured from the start of the thread to the end of the game):

Mafia Game (8 players) - 12/09/2007, 3 days
Mafia 2.1 (14 players) - 08/03/2008, 6 days
XKCD Village (12 players) - 09/06/2008, 7 days
MafiaScum Round 3 (21 players) - 20/06/2008, 10 days
MafiaScum Round 4 (24 players) - 30/06/2008, 18 days
Mafia Round 5 (23 players) - 16/07/2008, 31 days
Hammertime! (20 players) - 16/08/2008, 32 days
Proscription! (12 players) - 17/08/2008, 89 days
Princess Bride (27 players) - 06/02/2009, 107 days

Honourable mentions:
Futuramafia (over 100 days)
Discmafia (over 100 days)
Homestar Scummer (91 days and still running)

Dear god I'd forgotten just how hideously long Princess Bride went on for. :shock:

I noticed doing this that games seem to have largely stabilised at two-month duration for medium/large and ~4 weeks for small, in general.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 am UTC

that isn't even counting the fact that it went into signups Feb. 26th... this game is going to be well over half a year long before it's done with.

webby

Postby webby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Lataro wrote:that isn't even counting the fact that it went into signups Feb. 26th... this game is going to be well over half a year long before it's done with.

Yeah it was in signups when I started playing, and I've played 8 completed games now.

Lucid Dreamers:
Spoiler:
I hope I didn't miss out - I sent a PM at 8:46 (exactly deadline), but the forum timestamped it 8:45, so I sent another one at 8:47. I ended up going for poisoning TLC. Still no idea who's scum.

Resistance 3.5:
Spoiler:
So I'm going to look pretty scummy when this mission fails, but hopefully I can at least bring Boomfrog down with me. I think I've done my job, anyway, by getting on both teams and helping us to 2-0. And also getting mpolo to open up to me. One of the other two spies should be able to get on a mission barring a major plot power disaster or someone being really scummy, and Overheard Conversation is the only one which can get us. I thought when I got the PM that it was an extremely good scum team, and it's gone incredibly smoothly so far. In the very first scum PM when we got the 24 hours to talk, I said that I was going to try to buddy Boomfrog and that roband should play up his whole 'I'm not good at logic' thing. :P

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
Time for one of my analysis posts! This game feels very unbalanced in favour of town.

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Four more days until the signup deadline for Death to the Conspiracy. Keep the signups coming!
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Looking for possible replacements in The Lydhampstead Mystery. PM me if interested.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Resistance 3.5:
Spoiler:
Well, that should be 0-2 to the spies, with us winning the easiest one for the resistance. We might be able to win this after all. I got a bit anxious there when Adam posted, but we got the mission through.

Hopefully Boomfrog neglects to use his power, and we can pin some of the blame on him. cjdrum is also under suspicion, so we might actually be in a very good spot to get another spy on the next mission.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

Resistance 3.5:
Spoiler:
Ugh I wrote up a mega-long post and then was ninja'd by the mission phase... gotta wait 24 hours now?!?

Spies: webby, misnomer, Roband, VectorZero... AMIRITE AMIRITE!?!? Oh how wrong I must be...
-Adam

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:The Lydhampstead Mystery
Spoiler:
webby wrote:I like this strategy - several townie points to PE. :P
What the hell do I use these for, though? :twisted:

(Lydhampstead, PE may read.)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:

I didn't consider that town might want to NL repeatedly... I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, as Az looks set to take out the cop with the nk tonight, but if it weren't for that I think town may have found an excellent breaking strategy for this setup... :x
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:09 am UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
Well, that almost went disastrously :lol: I was just about to say "heck with it" and claim cop, but held off in case of something like that coming up that invalidated the strategy...and I guess it's a dang good thing I did.

Of course, I've been increasingly less careful about letting coptells slip, and wasn't doing well at it in the first place, so I'm guessing just about everyone knows I'm the cop anyway; thinking they might leave me alive due to wine over the strategy thing. Unless Lorenz is scum and gets lynched, in which case, whatev, I helped get a scum lynched.

Most likely, webby's going to get NK'd (as he's basically confirmed townie IMO for pointing out the fail, when scum could have just let it slide at least until after people claimed), and I'm going to get roleblocked. We'll see how it goes...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Ibarra

Postby Ibarra » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 am UTC

Lucid Dreamers:
Spoiler:
Breakdown of Actions: (in the order in which they were sent in)
- webby Poisons [Kill] tastelikecoke.[SUCCEED] - tastelikecoke will die in N2 unless protected.
- Misnomer Faction Kills webby. [SUCCEED]
- Misnomer Kills [Kill] cjdrum.[FAILED] - Ninja'd by webby
- cjdrum Bus Drives [Redirection] Misnomer and webby. [SUCCEED] - Misnomer targets himself with Faction Kill.
- John Citizen Tracks [Investigation] webby. [SUCCEED] - Shifted to Misnomer - Result: "Misnomer targets himself".
- tastelikecoke uses Mirror Move [Copy]. [SUCCEED] - First action targeting tastelikecoke will also target those who used it on him - webby gets Poisoned too.
- mpolo Roleblocks [Restrict] tastelikecoke. [SUCCEED] - tastelikecoke's action will no longer work - webby is no longer Poisoned.
Red text is for solid facts.
Blue text is for accusations.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
Note to self: in future, don't rush the role PMs >_<

Lucid Dreamers:
Spoiler:

...I want to be angry, but actually I'm pretty impressed by how well that worked out for town.

Ibarra

Postby Ibarra » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Lucid Dreamers:
Spoiler:
Anyway, here's the classification of the possible actions:
[Protect] [Investigate] [Kill] [Redirect] [Copy] [Communicate] [Conceal] [Falsify] [Upgrade] [Restrict] [Convert Action]

Yeah Misnomer that worked out well for town. Incidentally, no one did any "exciting" actions :(
Also I bet cjdrum will be laughing and smiling so much now.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have revealed my breadcrumb just yet. Would have been funny if someone tried to counterclaim me...though I don't think scum would risk that.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
For those of you playing at home... yes, the watcher did just get lynched. :P

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Lydhamp:
Spoiler:
Ffs... The hell did I do that was so scummy?

Who's scum then, Misnomer?

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

roband wrote:Lydhamp:
Spoiler:
Ffs... The hell did I do that was so scummy?

Who's scum then, Misnomer?

Lydhampstead
Spoiler:
I'm not entirely sure what you did either tbh - that lynch on you seemed to come from nowhere... :shock:

Anyways, the scum team is Az and PE.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Lydhampstead:
Spoiler:
I'm glad to see that my instincts aren't horribly rusty when it comes to sniffing out power roles, of course now that he's claimed, I can't kill him, but when I block DaBigCheez and kill someone else, we'll have the same results as if we killed him, with a slightly better chance of killing the watcher who will finger me if I don't.

Hopefully no one will realize that the person who claims first has got to be the one telling the truth, as I have no way of knowing who the watcher is until they claim, so that I can counter claim. I'm really just pinning my hopes on killing the person, which is our best bet at this point.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:54 am UTC

Homestar Scummer:
Spoiler:

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am UTC

Only two more days until the provisional Death to the Conspiracy signup deadline. If I don't get more signups, I'll have to drop it.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:Only two more days until the provisional Death to the Conspiracy signup deadline. If I don't get more signups, I'll have to drop it.

I'd sign up if you needed 1 more person, but with an additional 6 required I don't see the value :)

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

I only need two in two days to extend the deadline. I got eight signups in six days, so if I get just two more by Sunday, which allows me to extend the deadline by a week, then I think I have a pretty good chance of getting the required number in that week.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Move me out of reserve, if you like. The other two games I signed up to don't appear to be moving :P

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

EBWOP: Actually, don't move me. I just signed up for the NES PyP. If everything starts at once I won't be able to keep up.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Hmm... Lots of things I could sign up for, but I'm also planning on being on vacation in a couple of weeks. I guess it would be irresponsible to sign up until I come back. Sigh.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

I forgot how irritating night was.

Ibarra

Postby Ibarra » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:17 am UTC

Lucid Dreamers:
Spoiler:
webby hit it right on the head.
Usually this game is decided by what actions were sent in and how cunning the Nightmares are.
Misnomer could have used his nice ideas, but he sent in a kill instead. GG for town.
Bad luck for mpolo.

Return to “Mafia”