The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

webby

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby webby » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

I plan to start the Scales of Justice game 48 hours from now. I can make it work with anywhere between 5 and 9 players, but more is better.

We have two completely new and one semi-new player in the game out of the five players so far, so it would be nice to have some experienced players to join them.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

Amygame:
Spoiler:
Blatant cop claim is blatant. Though it's a lie, I do have a very strong reason for believing bio is scum, aside from what I've said in thread. I should have picked up on it yesterday, but the whole 2-mafia thing didn't click in my head.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:30 am UTC

I hope the mafians had a good Christmas. Still minimal activity from me in games, m'afraid, lots of family to visit and stuff. Posts in all games ASAP, I promise.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
The current numbers are 3 town, 3 scum and 1 survivor... but with AS's power still in play, it's not LYLO yet. My money's still on scum winning this though.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:30 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
@Conman: I am the one who gave you action hero. Did you like it? Who did you target N2? I'm guessing you targeted Angry Squirrel and got Roband and TLC killed?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

roband

Postby roband » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Secret Santa
Spoiler:
@Conman: I am the one who gave you action hero. Did you like it? Who did you target N2? I'm guessing you targeted Angry Squirrel and got Roband and TLC killed?

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
More to my interests, as you're online - did you like YOUR role? ;)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:38 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I did, it was very thematic and interesting. Getting someone to quote me and question me was a LOT harder then I thought it would be though. I also like your meta motivation for the role which is that if you avoided questioning anyone you'd be immune to one of the kills out there.

Especially appropriate since I recently became a father too :p Not too stressed though. :)

Who do you think is scum? No one has claimed in spoilers.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

roband

Postby roband » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Pass. I didn't really care - I was taking the easiest vote possible tbh. As indie, I didn't care who died as long as it wasn't me.

I'd be interested to learn how I died - I targetted no-one on N1, and Conman on N2.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
I'm curious about how my sent role. Based on stuff so far, Vieto has it, he's town and hasn't told his forum crush yet. I wonder who he chose :wink:. Moreover, I wonder how my role actually got amended, because I'm sure there's a lot of broken strands about it.

My sent role was a bit based on School Days hehe. A 1-target stalker/role & alignment cop that can kill his target when Day 4 arrives. Hope such mechanic works.

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Secret Santa:

Spoiler:
Hopefully we can get a perfect win for scum :twisted: . It's definitely on the table if I can convince people of T1mm or bio's scumminess.

Oh and did you like your SK role roband, courtesy of moi? =D

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
You defended 2 people that are likely to be town. Therefore, you shall die. Wait. What?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I still don't quite get why it's so surprising that I keep meta-notes. I think I've mentioned it before. I've got a freaking book on ya'all :p

I know I'm taking a chance by voting for FOAT so early, but it will be interesting to see if a bandwagon forms, and how quickly.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:28 am UTC

More Secret Santa (for roband):
Spoiler:
roband wrote:I'd be interested to learn how I died - I targetted no-one on N1, and Conman on N2.

I'm not sure - my role, described by Misnomer as "Paranoid PGO-Creator", is that whoever I target is jailed, and anyone who targets them dies. Unless somehow it redirects on myself - or someone else redirected the effect.

Interestingly, I haven't seen the role I sent in mentioned yet - it's essentially a redirecting role, called the "Regifter". It's possible they had something to do with it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Guess we have to wait for the Big Reveal to find out about everything. :?
Speculations mode!:
FOAT is scum.
His friends are, mpolo, GoP, or webby.
so far based on guess, webby has some possible slips.
webby's vote to mpolo seems to connect to a scum distancing. GoP is the odd one out me guesses, since he's lurking. (Not that lurking is a townie tell, since scum's as likely to lurk due to IRL reasons.) I hope there's a medium chance for town to win in this stage. I want to see timmeh murder his crush :D

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Oh lord, this is like watching a car crash...

T1mm has a crush on Webby... but Webby's role redirects actions at others, including investigations. So neither of Vieto/T1mm's investigations have actually been on Webby (in fact, last night's investigation failed entirely). Anyways, in addition to actual useful information, T1mm also recieves meaningless info, such as his crush's 'birthday'.

However, T1mm seems to think the information is genuine... oh dear oh dear...

Also, he's done the "I love you" thing a day early, but I'll let it slide if both he and webby survive the night.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Where art thou, my town Juliet? I'm quite sure it isn't webby.. Or else mod is just messing with me. That'd be really sad. I want to know who is born July 9th >.<

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

REMINDER: Firefly mafia still needs more players. See the signups thread for more info.
20 players by January 6th and you can vote on whether or not reavers are included.

Also recruiting vote-counter/Flavor poster in case I need to be away from my computer for any length of time.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Gah. I'm really tempted to sign-up for Firefly-mafia, but I really shouldn't.

they/them/theirs

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Im in it. You really should.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 am UTC

Me too! You really really should!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Do it.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 am UTC

I'd like to join the Firefly mafia, but (I'm sorry to say, I've heard it's really good) I know next to nothing about Firefly. Would that be a problem? Just want to make sure.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Hey, on Firefly, I can join too, perfectly since I have an unfinished copy of Firefly lying around.
But I might lurk the whole thread in the worst case scenario...

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:33 am UTC

There's a special place in hell for lurkers... A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Firefly mafia without reavers? Infina are you sure you know what your doing? :|

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:I'd like to join the Firefly mafia, but (I'm sorry to say, I've heard it's really good) I know next to nothing about Firefly. Would that be a problem? Just want to make sure.

I hope not, since I still don't know what Firefly is. >_> <_<

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 am UTC

ForAllOfThis wrote:Firefly mafia without reavers? Infina are you sure you know what your doing? :|

Don't worry, I have other things available to replace the reavers, if need be.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Does #xkcdmafia need to start showing reruns now?

Also, I suppose I ought to sign up for that game >.>
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

greenlover wrote:
Mostlynormal wrote:I'd like to join the Firefly mafia, but (I'm sorry to say, I've heard it's really good) I know next to nothing about Firefly. Would that be a problem? Just want to make sure.

I hope not, since I still don't know what Firefly is. >_> <_<

The greatest yet shortest sci-fi ever made.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Surprise and Secret Santa
Spoiler:
mpolo seems to have caught a lack-of-opinion syndrome over the weekend. Which normally would make me think he's scum. But I don't think he's scum in either game. :?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Okay, so I think I just flipped the paranoid-switch. There's 4 players that are all looking very much like scum, but that would mean town has already lost? Right? I mean, we lynch one, they kill me, there's a 3 vs. 2 situation the next day, a no-win situation. But it wouldn't make sense with that many scum, so one independent? Or two? That's a lot of independents for such a small game? Or, more likely, more people have abilities that lets them avoid death. Also, my power is going to make a mess out of tomorrow if someone doesn't kill me soon. Come on you guys! Kill me! But then again, if I was scum I wouldn't waste a kill on me knowing I'd die tomorrow anyway. So, uhm, sneaky tactics time?

I am rather enjoying this game though. Thanks for my role whoever made it! And thanks Misnomer, for modding this :D

they/them/theirs

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 am UTC

:( I think Secret Santa was enough of a game for me, so I'm back to mafia game hiatus.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
There's a lot I want to share, but I can't in-thread cus it will affect what I'm trying to share.
First off, I get to kill Webby N4. That's nice. If his claim is true, he can redirect it to scum, if his claim is false, he dies. Works well so far. The things that need to happen in order for this to work out:
1: We need to kill scum. Badly. Luckily, FAOT has offered himself there, so this part of the plan seems to be working out. If this fails, all else does.
2: I need to live through N3, and so does Webby. That's the reason why I'm not claiming this yet. Scum could kill me, and get my NK out of business.
3: I need to convince Webby to be on the town side, and that actually may be harder.
As a matter of fact, I don't see what's currently refraining him from saying "Mafia, come out, I'll help you and kill them townies. Expose yourself, vote a townie, I'll join. Town is quite defenseless against that.. Bar AS, but that's generally not a good thing to rely on. That's a coinflip whether we'll lose through the night, and another coinflip next night, and another coinflip the night after. I don't want to face those odds...
Still wondering what b.i.o is actually up to. I believe webby (it's my sent in role :X) but I don't know about anything else. FAOT, you're going down bro :)

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

I found an interesting game called Neptunes Pride, a browser based space conquer game that lasts around 4 weeks:

http://np.ironhelmet.com/rules

and a really good diary of it from Rock Paper Shotgun seems to suggest that the game is a lot of fun and is more focused on diplomacy than mangaging resources (so lots of alliances, betrayals and lies). The winner seems to be whoever can manipulate the other people the most and it reminded me of mafia somewhat.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... more-87390

Anyway, I've looked more into it and it turns out a premium account is needed to create games. So i'm going to go on search for a similar game that is free to create games and invite people. I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a group together from the forum to play something like this? If there is, I'll see what I can find, or possibly even pay a few quid for a month of premium account to create a game for us (as it does sound good). Let me know if your interested either by PM or in this thread.

Edit: Another link which shows why this game reminds me of mafia - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2715 ... _Pride.php

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

Surprise
Spoiler:
So mpolo is basically a claimed ghost, meaning I'm probably right about him being town. I really hope there's no ghostbuster...

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

I can't find any completely free alternatives. If we get a group of players on at the same time though we could all join the same free game (although it would be a non xkcdmafia player hosting, just a randomer with a premium account). I'll be in #xkcdmafia over the next few days if anyone wants to join a game together.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

If it sways anyone else's decision - I'm now playing this game too.

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:30 am UTC

roband wrote:If it sways anyone else's decision - I'm now playing this game too.

This game has instantly turned me into a lieing deceitful villain. I always knew I had it in me.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:44 am UTC

Surprise & Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Grarg. People are not posting enough.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Amy's Surprise:
Spoiler:
mpolo wrote:This lynch is probably not particularly tragic for us, as I have a little bit of an "Obi Wan" mechanic going here.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[deep breath]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

/compose myself

I ain't afraid of no ghost! I ain't afraid of no ghost!
-Adam

Return to “Mafia”