The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

moody7277

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
So, bit of an interest in Zen/Zyth's ability for scumhunting. Huery really stepped in it with the whole "might be more than one mafia" thing which just reeks of extra information. I looked at that and agreed with Zyth that it indeed looked scummy, then remembered of course heury is scummy, he's my scummate; he also happens to be right about a second scum team since that was some info I got as part of my role. Luckily, he has a possession power that allows us to recruit another scum upon his death, so we have a whole bussing scheme setup, just hopefully not to be used on D1. :roll: The kicker? We don't have a NK, though the other scumteam does. Fortunately, Zyth also looks interested enough in Peaceful Whale that we could use him as a distraction for D1 and perhaps get another candidate for scumming.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:21 pm UTC

Crossover mafia

Spoiler:
I am rather ok with being scum read. I am hoping to make it to another day at least, but it would be beneficial if I get lynched since it would mean potentially another player coming to become mafia. I chose Bessie to be at the top of my possess list because she has never been scum, and it gives her a chance to be her normal townie self (if she is town) and gives me some sick satisfaction knowing I might finally force her to be mafia this game. She could be independent though.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
I give up, let town lynch me. Then they'll regret it. (I'll have the most confusing meta ever)
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 pm UTC

Ugh I miss you all haha. xkcd is randomly blocked at work now, so until I switch jobs (not related but probably within 3-4 months), I won't be able to play. But hopefully soon-ish!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:16 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Trying to keep in the conversation but not be too aggressive so I get neither lynched nor night killed.

A good strategy as either cop or Mafia...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Ugh I miss you all haha. xkcd is randomly blocked at work now, so until I switch jobs (not related but probably within 3-4 months), I won't be able to play. But hopefully soon-ish!

Oh, dimochka, I was actually starting to worry that you changed your password and got locked out of your account or something (there's an email bug, NO ONE SHOULD CHANGE THEIR PASSWORD!).

Crossover Mafia
Spoiler:
Sorry Gojoe thread for neglecting you. I've been busy so I haven't had time to make you a nice post. Just this.

My reaction upon opening my role pm:

AARGH, FUCKING HELL!

Regular readers of this thread know what that means. :wink:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:45 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Pity I had to sit out such an exciting game. I'm really impressed with the quality of play for D1 so far.

Oh well, maybe Dark Horse will drop out and I'll be able to join in for D2 :)

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Still no votes/potential chat partners. Some people seem to read me as scummy without me even trying so I'm afraid to try to look scummy to get votes. Claiming I need a vote for my power, like Madge seems very risky. I'm way too cautious for that. Part of the challenge is that I don't know how to redeem myself after I've looked scummy enough to get some votes. Going from looking townie to looking scummy is easy, the other way around not so much.

I noticed Peaceful Whale claiming a sort of cop power here and I don't know what to do about that. I don't think pointing it out is helpful to town but scum likely noticed it and sharing information is better for town? I kind of expect PW to be the (a?) night-kill target now. Can't be a proper cop if he withheld his power N0.

Edit: with SirGabriel's claim mpolo seems like another night kill target. My first thought after that claim is 'let's redirect the night kill to the bomb'.

Maybe I should point out these two to town so protective powers can act. I'll get a good night's sleep first and see other people's reactions first.

Edit2: I would love for bessie to vote for me and join my mason chat.
he him his

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
And that, my friends, is how you avoid the lynch. Just stay cool and keep scum hunting.

Now hopefully I can narrowly avoid lynching Red Ryu...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Composing that post was brutal. Because instead of fabricating reads like a smart scum, I actually did the read through to make actual judgements. That is what is so frustrating about this. I'm doing everything the same as I would if I were actually town, haven't explicitly lied that I can recall, and I'm still at the top of most scum lists. Your right for all the wrong reasons people!

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:30 pm UTC

Crossover:

Spoiler:
Hmm I seem to have more or less cleared my name. I think only bessie still has a bit of a problem with me but not enough to vote. I have to figure out a plan to get a minimal amount of votes. This is hard. See Madge, I took option 1.

In retrospect, maybe I should have lurked a couple of days or until I got at least one vote before towning things up.
he him his

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Hmm...
Beginning to think Zyth might be right. YOLO said that Monday night he would "ring me up" but I haven't heard anything from him since. And Dark Horse was definitely on the forum as of Friday. Very curious.

[Edit]YOLO says I'll sub in N1, though I will be shocked if I'm not vigged, so may be a moot point

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
If jimbob flips scum I'm gonna look so bad :| But, hey, it's more important to act townie than to look townie and I really don't like what Zen's been doing. If jimbob's town though I'll get all the townie points. (ok maybe not all of them as scum would know he's town, but still) Plus side if he's scum: I'll be sure to get some votes for future friend making. Not too many I hope. If my survival seems unlikely I'll have to volunteer for the SirG hammer and do so early enough to prove I'll go through with it.

That's all in the potential future though, for now: try to get get moody or Gamma lynched.

Edit: Allright, Sabrar and EGW are with me. I really feel like I'm messing up scum's plan here. [spectators: nooo, you're walking right into their trap]
he him his

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
@Moody: You got pretty unlucky actually, probably 1 in 400 unlucky. I bet I'm the only role in the game that could have investigated you successfully. I am a role cop who asks the mod, not targets a player, so that bypassed your wraith form. I don't get alignment but I did get the text that said "there is another mafia" so I knew you were Mafia.

I didn't think we'd get the lynch on you D1, but Sabrar's great at the subtle pushing. Hopefully, we can find connections to your scum buddies and distract town for a while. I wonder if town will get your whole role PM. Hopefully not. :twisted:

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 am UTC

Spoiler:
LMFAO I'm a lyncher variant and jimbob was one of my targets, this day phase is such a tease for me

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:54 am UTC

@ gamma emerald: it doesn't realy matter these days but generally we label our spoilers with the game name (there was once a time where we had three games going at once!)
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
For those playing along at home, my claim is truthful and town.

I am intrigued by my meta because it's very true. I should do something about that. I like playing stream of conscious but I should find a way to fake that as scum......
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Amrock

Postby Amrock » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 am UTC

Test post

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 am UTC

Doesn't need to be spoiled, just read what I posted in crossover.

I keep forgetting the rules. :cry: time to reread them

(It's fine if I don't spoil this right? I mean it doesn't affect the game at all... right?)
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:50 am UTC

Spoiler:
I feel happy to see Moody flipped Mafia. I half didn't expect it, but I felt him to be actually more suspicious then boom or jim, I don't know what I was thinking with those two. I'm wary of Bessie and Zen. I intend to do a re-read sometime soon, I have things to do. I wonder what scum are saying now. I think there is a possibility I am night killed due to being obv town and active. Yet I don't pose a threat to scum I think, so they might go for someone who is more accurate. I am annoyed Bessie doesn't really converse with me, but I wonder if that is due to her alignment or how she plays. I think Bessie is a likely target for tonight. I have a few actions I can use, I might use one tonight, while leaving myself vulnerable to kills.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51 am UTC

Crossover @ BoomFrog

Spoiler:
Hell of a time to roll a crit fail. Then again, you probably weren't the deciding factor in my lynch.

BoomFrog wrote:Crossover
Spoiler:
@Moody: You got pretty unlucky actually, probably 1 in 400 unlucky. I bet I'm the only role in the game that could have investigated you successfully. I am a role cop who asks the mod, not targets a player, so that bypassed your wraith form. I don't get alignment but I did get the text that said "there is another mafia" so I knew you were Mafia.

I didn't think we'd get the lynch on you D1, but Sabrar's great at the subtle pushing. Hopefully, we can find connections to your scum buddies and distract town for a while. I wonder if town will get your whole role PM. Hopefully not. :twisted:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 am UTC

@Peaceful Whale: you should spoil everything that is even remotely connected to the game.

Crossover
Spoiler:
@moody: BoomFrog rolecopped you (no idea why your protection didn't work) and this was the only reason I 'found' you scummy. You looked super-dangerous so I took the chance to push your lynch.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:33 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Maybe I should break some rules to get modvotes on me to activate my ability? :lol:

(I know the mods wouldn't use them in determining if my ability got activated, but still!)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Yay I get to play. And I'm town.

I have a super scummy role though.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
@Moody actually only 1 in 20 not 1 in 400 since of course someone would be my role. Still, bad luck.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:12 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Also... WTF just happened?

So I'm a miller (bleh). I also have a pseudo-gladiator power. I can pick one other player, and we'll have a separate lynch between the two of us. One of us dies, the other gains complete immunity to night kill + other actions for next night. The obvious thing to do is to use this on GlaDOS. Currently trying to figure out how my role will interact with her. Might just end up killing me, which would be less good.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
YESS, I'm so happy we got scum. I'm glad I was paying attention to Zen. He's going down tomorrow!

Peaceful Whale is showing madge the way to get votes :D (although mod punishment might not always be votes)
Chuckled at PW's realisation about boomfrog's avatar :lol:

Wait, bessie can only agree with me on one point? (Gojoe is fun) By now there should at least be a couple of things. She did say it jokingly, but still. I think Sabrar has been picking things up from bessie and I'm not feeling too good about her either. Her defense of the SirG lynch was weird. Something else to pursue D2.

I'm on Zen, bessie and Gamma now. I hope I make it to D2.

Hooray, replacements! Tough job for amrock :?
he him his

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
jeez, two modvotes... I don't think I'm going to be lynched... maybe.

:cry:
Here's to hoping I was night killed so I don't have to keep messing up.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Curious about whether I will have any effect tonight: My power is passive, the "unwilling voteblocker": Anyone night-targeting me will be unable to vote the next day (mod-announced at day start). Assuming nobody else removes people's voting ability, the ideal outcome would be that mafia kills me while nobody else targets me: Between the one voteblock and my flip suggesting a reason, a mafioso has a lot of explaining to do.

I went back and forth a bit on whether or not to hint at this. I ended up choosing not to, but I should probably think ahead and figure out whether or not to give an explanation if I survive the night and wake up to voteblocked players.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:35 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Part of the info I got as the "Know-it-all" was that this role was in the game. Didn't have enough time to develop a tactic for this.

Znirk wrote:Crossover
Spoiler:
Curious about whether I will have any effect tonight: My power is passive, the "unwilling voteblocker": Anyone night-targeting me will be unable to vote the next day (mod-announced at day start). Assuming nobody else removes people's voting ability, the ideal outcome would be that mafia kills me while nobody else targets me: Between the one voteblock and my flip suggesting a reason, a mafioso has a lot of explaining to do.

I went back and forth a bit on whether or not to hint at this. I ended up choosing not to, but I should probably think ahead and figure out whether or not to give an explanation if I survive the night and wake up to voteblocked players.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I just noticed this night is three days long. Sabrar must be loving this :D
I hope everyone is quick with their night actions. Mine is in! (it's no action :( )
he him his

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
As I'm producing my reads... huh. I don't know if I have ever had as strong of scum ping as I have had this game. If town doesn't vig me, this could be a very entertaining D2.

For the record:
Scum team 1: Zyth, bessie, moody
Scum team 2: Ryu, Spak, jimbob

Only person I'm not positive about is bessie. Everyone else I think is a lock.

Also, team 1 knows the whole setup, apparently. I might need to activate my power tonight.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
LOL Megaman! I look forward to how this plays out. I assume he either knows the full setup or gets clues of the setup or gets parts of the setup revealed slowly. (Similar to clues but instead of clues you get outright told what role there is)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Submitted my night action. Going to go into judgment with Zyth, and going to call out the rest of the (likely) scum.

I'm in a scummy slot with a negative utility role, so my goal is to go all in right from the start and get night killed N3. If not, I'll jump on GlaDOS D4.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:39 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
I'm glad about the flip, especially given that I was starting to second guess myself. I have no idea where this might lead though. There's certainly lots of interesting things to look at now, given moody's flip.

@moody - how honest were you with your answer about your activity level? One theory I had was that you were posting more often because you were online more to participate in scum chat, but I considered that too much of a stretch to be worth putting down.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

Crossover @ jimbob

Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@moody - how honest were you with your answer about your activity level? One theory I had was that you were posting more often because you were online more to participate in scum chat, but I considered that too much of a stretch to be worth putting down.

Pretty much what I said in the game. I did notice I was a bit chattier than usual, and was a little concerned that it might be seen as scummy.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
This is a placeholder for my usual complaint about the length of the night.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:00 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
"I just noticed this night is three days long. Sabrar must be loving this :D"--plytho
"This is a placeholder for my usual complaint about the length of the night."--Sabrar

That is a bit of a hoot. And if the other scum team is BoomFrog, Sabrar, and bessie as I've kind of gleaned from the other spoilers, town is in for a world of hurt (the xkcd regulars anyway, the Dgamers won't be blinded by meta). I just hope that heury remembered that he's actually still playing and got in who to Ice Beam and who to put on the list for scumming.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Ugh, night phase is so boring :P

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Crossover mafia
Spoiler:
A few hours to go, sorry for waiting so long to post here but I’m really nervous about being night killed. For any DGamers and other new spectators that didn’t understand this post, I am town. I haven’t been non-town for a year and a half. And I’m very rarely non-town anyway. I’m usually the towniest player in the game. It’s turned into a forum meta joke. Dozens of examples available upon request. Anyway, I’m actually very much enjoying playing with people that don’t know me and having them read me as neutral or giving me an uneasy townie lean. I very often am auto-meta-read town by everyone, so any read of me by an xkcd player is inconclusive and gives me no read of them, but new players do not know my meta.

That said, it’s also suspicious when an xkcd player tries to push a lynch on me because of my super-townie meta. It always fails, and the mislynch pusher ends up being scum and lynched. plytho knows this (see this post), and he is being much too cautious in going after me. So is jimbobmacdoodle. I think they may night kill me.

And there’s this:
Regarding Bessie: I'm suprised that she didn't pick up on the mpolo thing. She noted it, but she didn't feel it odd that mpolo's "data was lost". I'm leaning slightly scum which makes me sad. :( .
Is BoomFrog thinking of challenging my meta? :P

Return to “Mafia”