The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby wam » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
I'm in agreement with all the posts above, scum were 90% sure that sabrar was naive so why not kill the claimed doctor. Even if they did get watched its better odds than counter claiming.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Is that the dumbest read I've ever done? I think it might be.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
I'll feel kind of bad if we win because of a replacement, but MoA isn't exactly doing the best job of not looking incredibly suspicious right now.
Still looks like jimbob is screwed though so it might not matter.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
I will also maintain that D1's length got out of control because people just wouldn't drop the damn NL idea. Ugh. Also, a game with 12 people and weak PRs for investigating people is going to require a lot of content from everyone if scum is going to be caught, it's just how it is.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm UTC

@Vicarin
NNY
Spoiler:
This game must be painfully slow to watch for you from the outside. Too bad about the early death. Look forward to playing with you again soon.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 pm UTC

NNY @BoomFrog can read

Spoiler:
It may be rather slow, but will definitely play again.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

I may need a replacement for newbie new year mafia.
Anyone interested please let me know.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
I swear, if someone says "breadcrumb" and "Vicarin" in the same sentence again...

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 am UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
IM SORRY BESSIE!!!
I WONT BE MANIPULATIVE AGAIN!
(Unless I’m scum again)
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm UTC

NNY @ Peaceful Whale

Spoiler:
Warning: being manipulative as scum will get everyone saying that you're crying crocodile tears whenever you're complaining about how something is unfair as town.

But that can still be fun in its own way :twisted:

You almost managed to guilt trip Bessie into backing off, which is kind of impressive in a weird way.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:44 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:NNY @ Peaceful Whale

Spoiler:
Warning: being manipulative as scum will get everyone saying that you're crying crocodile tears whenever you're complaining about how something is unfair as town.

But that can still be fun in its own way :twisted:

You almost managed to guilt trip Bessie into backing off, which is kind of impressive in a weird way.

NNY
@Bessie after the game. Please read.
Spoiler:
Yeah, it was my scum buddies idea...
I’m sorry Bessie, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.
(If we win I’ll be very happy)
(Even though I didn’t help much)
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
I will be extremely pleased with myself if the team is bessie + Hari, given that nobody seems to be seriously considering them. However, for RL reasons, getting lynched is probably better for me!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:08 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
I'm feeling a bit spiteful unfortunately. I am very tempted to self-hammer, simply because everybody else is so very wrong and isn't even listening (has anybody actually bothered to look at Hari's case again, like I asked, for example?). Town have likely lost this game, I reckon.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
I will be disappointed if we lose this because BoomFrog/Sabrar (+Hari, apparently) are going to townread bessie on meta for the entire game in spite of any evidence to the contrary.

*sigh*

I'm going to go out on a limb and call it that jimbob/flicky are both Town. jimbob is lynched today. BoomFrog is killed tonight. I'm lynched tomorrow to end the game.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
I was seriously tempted to try to swing the vote on to me. Decided against it since there's still a decent chance that jimbob might flip scum.

But if jimbob is Town, then we've just lost since Sabrar will vote with mafia tomorrow.

[edit]Also I am amused that at least on two occasions in this game I've felt the need to double-check my role PM and make sure that I wasn't mafia :P

[edit2]But in all seriousness I actually don't really have a sense at all of why people are finding me scummy this game. I think the only person to really have a case on me this entire game has been jimbob, and I guess Hari for the stupid "slip" business.

This is this still the most suspicious comment in the entire game, btw, and, IMHO, strongly indicates at least one of bessie/cemper is scum:
PW wrote:She [Madge]’s pushed really hard for NL... and makes a lot of valid points, however I don’t know if this is scummy or towny. If she’s scum, I bet she’s developed a pretty good plan. (I looked back at (smallville?) and saw the ending, where she apparently played a pretty mean scum. Mean as in smart/strong/very good)

I do not believe for a moment that scum!PW was spending his time reading 3 year old games. But nobody pays attention to any of my cases :roll:
Last edited by LaserGuy on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:53 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 pm UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
If jimbob is really Town then I can be confident that I'm reading him wrong all the time so I'll have a sure tell for next game. :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 pm UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Welcome to the spoiler zone jimbob!
I'm guessing you'll be followed by BoomFrog pretty soon as well.

Turns out you were correct about half the scum team? I think there's a bit of a chance of MoA coming under suspicion, but yeah, it's looking pretty atrocious right now.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
D4 strategy for drawing the night kill was to be so super townie that I will never be lynched, scum will have to kill me. I don't think it's going to work. I don’t think that anything can save BoomFrog. Sabrar is naive, as I said in this post there’s no way watcher Sabrar misses two nights in a row. Even if Sabrar was sane, scum needs to knock off him or BoomFrog tonight and it looks like BoomFrog is sane and will probably protect Sabrar again.

bessie potter wrote:I really hate “would I do this if I were scum” replies because they’re usually done by scum, but I would have totally killed BoomFrog.
BoomSnape wrote: Even though I had shown I think you are town and had at least three people I wanted to lynch before you?

Sorry BoomFrog, you and I were always on the same team and I was too dense to see it. Now you’re going back to your Ivory Tower, watching over me.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:33 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
RIP town...
I really hope Sabrar makes something up... just so it’s interesting...
Spoiler:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
I still find it kind of silly that if town had policy lynched everyone who supported NL D1,
then town would have won. Don't NL D1 as town, everyone.

As Sabrar pointed out, NLing now is kind of pointless unless town correctly lynches today, but they may as well. This game is going to take forever to finish...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Newbie New Year:
Spoiler:
@remaining players: Told you I was town.

I've offered to not read spoilers in the event that a zombie replacement is needed. Hopefully I won't be needed, but I'll be keeping track of things. I'm about 95% certain flicky isn't scum (earlier town slips, reaction to needing to claim, and his day opening reaction). I still don't think MoA is scum, but I'm not as confident. If MoA isn't scum, it's unlikely that LaserGuy is, due to lack of partners, but that needs more reviewing to verify my earlier theory. Assuming that's correct, then bessie + Hari must be the team, which conveniently matches up with my reads. I'm still troubled by the change in style of scum from killing somitomi, then not killing, then killing BoomFrog. It's going from aggressive to passive to aggressive again, although less so with the most recent kill, due to basically being forced to. The best theory I can come up with, other than MoA being scum, is that scum decided to test BoomFrog's sanity, at no risk to themselves, due to the No Lynch. That points to an analytical scum team, or at least one member, which unfortunately doesn't rule out any teams, because I think Hari, and Laser certainly could be candidates in this, maybe bessie too. I don't feel like flicky would, but his team-mate could. I do not know MoA well enough.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 am UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Argh... I should have trusted myself. Everyone seems town => the most experienced players contain scum.

Sigh. I just got so worn down. Hari played an excellent game. And well done on the fake slip Cemper. Was I right that you asked the mod that question at the start of N1?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 am UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
Aaaahhhhaaarrgghhhh. No chance of getting night killed now. And fair chance of getting lynched. Which I wouldn’t care about if it wasn’t MYLO.

So BoomFrog, how’s the view? Did you see how it really must be? If you saw it right I will need to find flicky’s partner first because Sabrar is stubborn when he makes one of his early game meta reads, and probably can’t be persuaded to lynch flicky. Did you read the spoilers, do you see how it really must be to be like me, to see like me?

Sorry jimbobmacdoodle. You should at least have some satisfaction that I can’t tell your scum game from your town game.

my game

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:40 am UTC

NNY @BoomFrog

Spoiler:
The entire scum team was drawing a decent amount of flak by the end of D1, it's just people mysteriously forgot about all that afterwards for some reason.

I just wish people had looked at my suspicions list or something instead of just going "he must have breadcrumbed cop". It's a bummer you didn't end up protecting me N1, but ah well, hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am UTC

NNY @BoomFrog
Spoiler:
Hari played an excellent game. And well done on the fake slip Cemper. Was I right that you asked the mod that question at the start of N1?
Thanks for the flowers. And no, I didn't ask a mod because I already knew. I wanted to raise the question in-thread before anybody else did. Those sweet, sweet townie points were the important thing to me. And to be honest, if I had been town, I probably would have actually been confused about this, so just acting like I thought it obvious that day chat implied night chat would have been a slip.

Now I just have to hope MoA doesn't throw this game. He seems to not understand that in xkcdia, lurking gets you lynched. That was the entire reason I needed a replacement!

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 am UTC

NNY @Vicarin
Spoiler:
Note that we didn't kill you because your suspicions were correct, so I think that town is playing correctly in not putting too much weight on them. They are, after all, only speculation based on outdated information. Too bad for town that the ignored speculations were correct, but they really don't have much reason to assume that they would be.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am UTC

NNY @cemper93

Spoiler:
Yeah, I know that it did turn out that way, but I think it's a better assumption than assuming that scum picked up a breadcrumb or something. It'd be nice if town had at least looked over them once or twice.

I mean, I reread through D1 for funsies, and Sabrar specifically says that there's no reason for the PRs to breadcrumb because the claims are so good and even he goes along with the "must have been a breadcrumb" explanation. Arg.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

Newbie New Year:
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Which means that there must be scum in {Hari Seldon, LaserGuy}.
Hmm... sounds familiar. Where have I heard that before?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
I may need to take back my earlier comment about Sabrar voting with scum. He's actually working through this pretty carefully.

It's starting to look to me like jimbob was right and it's bessie/Hari. Just did a reread of Hari and found a lot of things that looked suspicious; reread flicky and his content is, if scarce, better than I remember it.

[edit]re: Sabrar. Or not :roll:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 pm UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
I wanted to observe as if I were still alive, but I just couldn't wait. Spoiler time!
Boy, was I wrong about cemper...
Peaceful Whale finding a doctor that turned out to be a cop is kind of funny. Come to think of it, that "desperate newbie" smokescreen seems to have worked well in the sense that he managed th throw shade on two townies.
Correction: boy, was I wrong about the entire game :oops:

Bessie, you don't need to worry about hammering on me too much, how else would I learn to hold up under pressure? At least this venture taught me to read more carefully. Now, if only you could teach me the magic of always appearing townie.
—◯-◯

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
Oh look, there's Sabrar voting with mafia. *sigh* I hate being right.

GG scum. Well played.

[edit]Started on a big reread of cemper/MoA, but have very little motivation for it. Looked at the slip section though, and almost positive he's cleared as Town.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 am UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
Only a dozen posts in the last 2 days. Hard to stay enthusiastic... :(

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 am UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
Hello Gojoe thread, my head hurts and I’m trying to come up with some good analysis but am getting nowhere, I’m completely dry for content. Maybe something will come to me tomorrow morning when I am more sober.

Non-sober me had a great idea. :idea: If BoomFrog can play an entire game with just woofs, I can play an entire game with just YouTube clips.

physical

Anyway, as already stated, I am running dry for content. My only strong reads this entire game have been as follows.

Town: Vicarin
Scum: Peaceful Whale, somitomi, Madge, BoomFrog

I knew I should have pushed harder to lynch flicky yesterday. My usually very unreliable gut told me jimbob was town, but my little puppy brain told me there was enough evidence to lynch.

I've been discouraged (again) last night after making this post. I somehow need to get more aggressive. I don’t think I can handle one more self analysis.

mental

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
GUYS YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE US LOSE PLEASE LET PSYCHIC POWERS BE REAL SO THAT WAY MY SCREAMING THIS AT YOU FROM A SPOILER WILL MAKE YOU KILL MASTEROFALL I MEAN SERIOUSLY SABRAR YOU VOTED AND CHANGED YOUR MIND EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:23 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Yeah, going by how MoA just keeps putting out no content I'd have thought that would look pretty damn scummy. Oh well.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 am UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
It relates to my feelings about the nature of the scum team. You can probably infer it from my opinions on the wagons here, or perhaps in my discussion with jimbob at the bottom of these two posts. Ask me again sometime closer to end of day if this is still bothering you.

For those curious, my feeling here is that the scum team is extremely passive and has basically just been following along with whatever mislynch Town seemed most interested in at the time. They aren't really pushing a lot of wagons or trying to make things happen... So Sabrar voting leaves us vulnerable to scum just sheeping whatever wagon he ends up on. What we actually need to happen is for scum to try to make a move, since that's how we're going to catch them. The only way scum can lynch correctly today, basically, is if they vote together and vote with Sabrar. Pretty much no other wagon is going to lead to a mislynch today.

The flip side is that no wagon is going to lead to a scum lynch today unless everyone in Town agrees, which is :?

I still think this game is probably lost.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 am UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
I will be at work at deadline and Monday mornings are not good for me (I have an early meeting) so I have about a day remaining to post. I’m not getting anywhere with my reads, and having no success with pairs. I have no plan. Should I try to look super townie and go after flicky? Perhaps flicky will night kill me instead of Sabrar. No, if flicky’s scum that won’t work, since it looks like Sabrar isn’t changing his mind on flicky. I’m running out of time, I need a flash of brilliance soon.

twenty twenty twenty four hours to go

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am UTC

NNY:
Spoiler:
Well, that's all I can do. I imagine I will be lynched in a last minute scramble and scum will win. bessie/Hari are my final picks.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Hey, peaceful whale/cemper, that remark about me playing scum in smalltown - was that PW's observation or did Cemper mention it to him? Laserguy's recent post has got me wondering.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am UTC

Madge wrote:NNY

Spoiler:
Hey, peaceful whale/cemper, that remark about me playing scum in smalltown - was that PW's observation or did Cemper mention it to him? Laserguy's recent post has got me wondering.

NNY
Spoiler:
That was actually my observation... the post I made about copying Bessie however was all Cemper’s idea...
Spoiler:

Return to “Mafia”