The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 am UTC

3 things of the utmost importance, y'all.

1. Lynch Zen.

2. somitomi's and BoomFrog's avatars are amazing. I had to look at and appreciate theirs for a solid 5 seconds, which translates to roughly 20 years in internet time.

3. I'm very glad to see y'all still lynching and murdering each other in the name of friendship.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 am UTC

Hey YOLO! Good to see you again. Too bad you didn't drop by a couple days ago, you could have played a few hands of poker with us.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 am UTC

Poker:
Spoiler:
A lot of people feeling very active lurky this game. Town is allowing discussion of mechanics to take precedence over scum hunting. They may not get a lot out of D1 unless they're pretty lucky or someone starts to stir the pot a bit.At this point I'd probably have Town Sabrar/BoomFrog/mpolo, most others still nullish.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:35 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I hope that the previous post by LaserGuy isn't him thinking that I think he's massively goofed or something, now I'm just going to be paranoid about all the damn Gojoe posts argghhhh. I don't want to start trying to reason using meta information a ton but people are probably going to keep talking about it. Bleh.

For a meta discussion that I hope is completely irrelevant for this game, I'm not sure what the best way of resolving such a situation is in general, if a mod accidentally gives an incorrect mod response and wishes to redact the information from as many people as possible. Giving out the information in general after planning the balance around not doing so can screw up careful planning, trying to tell people to not give out the information can make them behave weirdly...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 am UTC

Poker:
Spoiler:
I'm posting this to mess with Vicarin. I will be nice and not quote ping him.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am UTC

Poker

Spoiler:
no one's yet arguing for my lynch I consider that a win based on usual form for me! I have a suspicion boom and Jedi maybe scum but only 50% confident
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
I don't think I'll have many Gojoe posts this game as I'm VT and pretty open in the thread already. However I need to keep up some appearances otherwise scum might easily guess that I'm not a PR. Playing to get nk-d just feels so wrong...

This reminds me that the setup provides a unique opportunity to analyze the nk as with no Doc/Watcher/similar role there is no reason for scum not to kill their biggest enemy. This also means that any scum PR-falseclaim is doomed to fail once the player survives the night and I'm very surprised that no-one pointed this out.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:3 things of the utmost importance, y'all.

1. Lynch Zen.

2. somitomi's and BoomFrog's avatars are amazing. I had to look at and appreciate theirs for a solid 5 seconds, which translates to roughly 20 years in internet time.

3. I'm very glad to see y'all still lynching and murdering each other in the name of friendship.
Agreed with all this.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Vicarin's numbers here are way off, he is still not discarding the irrelevant games. Which probably means that if bessie is Town then he is as well and maybe it means that he might be defending his scum-buddy if bessie is indeed Mafia. Also same issue with Mark here. So bessie's flip could be very revealing...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:17 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Oh boy, here I go doubting all my reads after my track record in Chaos Mafia. Ugh.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
So I would not be totally surprised if Vicarin and bessie would claim Masons but it would be unfair how often bessie gets that role and I don't... :(

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:43 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Have to update the "Rules and Noob Guide" thread with some definitions of terms like meta read, if only to avoid talking past each other for so long like that again...

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:39 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
plato wrote:BoomFrog:This feels like a confused BoomFrog performance more than a confused BoomFrog. He only talks about his confusion and doesn't ask any clarification. He's literally saying I'm confused about 9-3.

BoomFrog leaning somewhat scummy. I'm not really that confident in my case but if I'm right at least I have it on record :)

I award partial credit. :) This is a good read, and I'll have to keep my reactions more sincere in the future. If you catch me performing again assume I'm scum.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Let's see if soft-claiming Vig gets me killed. :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I'm feeling like I was in NNYM, with so much scummy behaviour around that I can't tell who to focus on properly. Bah. And now I'm getting paranoid that the people who I'm not getting scummy behaviour off are just better at hiding it...

I do find it very interesting that Sabrar and plytho have both tried to go for bessie independently, not sure whether it's bessie actually doing weird stuff (not seeing it) or scum trying to push her early (which seems really difficult and it's way easier to just NK someone you're worried about here seeing as there's no doc or watcher to worry about).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Nice, Mark is defending bessie super-hard. If they are not Masons then I really got the whole team and will be nk-d as usual.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I want to bludgeon Sabrar over the head SO BAD with Bayes' Theorem for getting that analysis wrong, but it wouldn't be appreciated in thread. Oh. Well.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
The first time I get to be a vigilante and I can't get my head in the game. I've spent at least three hours staring at the thread, and I've got like three people in my ordered list, one of which I can't even justify. Probably not going to use my kill tonight, there's just no use to killing someone basically at random. Maybe I should just admit defeat and ask to be replaced. :oops:
—◯-◯

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
To the spectators, I drew the Queen of Hearts, so I get to track someone. That was going to be bessie, but it looks like we're going to be lynching her. If I were to believe Sabrar 100%, I should be tracking Vicarin. I want a cross-check though, so I will be seeing where wam goes N1.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Oh god now bessie has an almost identical reads list to me going on, we've either undergone a mind meld or she's being incredibly lazy scum.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:11 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
It's so blindingly obvious that Vicarin is protecting bessie. Can't believe more players don't see it. Or scum might see it and not comment if Vic and bessie are just Masons. However in that case I would have expected a claim by now, although bessie is usually against such things...
Then again, in this particular case claiming would be beneficial I think.

Late edit: is it bad that I want to be nk-d because that would mean I was right?

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 pm UTC

Texas holdem
Spoiler:
I'm pretty confident we got scum. Also, I hadn't really looked into the bessie-vicarin link but Vicarin asking moody to switch away from bessie out of the blue was a massive ping.
I'm vanilla for the first time ever, I think. I hope some other vanilla gets the NK but I think if bessie is scum I'm a likely target. Me or Sabrar, actually, two dangerous conf town.

I haven't really been thinking about the powers. I only properly read them just now. That's a vanilla luxury I guess :D

I feel I'm pretty much caught up with the game now, although there are some things I haven't paid much attention to, like the PR probabilities and whatever Sabrar and Vicarin were bickering about.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:19 pm UTC

@LaserGuy, I'll be able to replace as of Monday, I think, if needed.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Damn. Was about 99.9% sure that Vic and bessie had chat. I did notice BoomFrog defending bessie but he also attacked Vicarin so in my mind he couldn't be part of the scum-team. I would like to believe that I'd have taken a second look at him following Vic's mislynch but who can say?

@LaserGuy: can we have link to scum-chat please?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:26 pm UTC

Texas:
Spoiler:
I'll post scumchat at the end of the game if they agree. There have been indications that certain players may want to redact bits of it, so I don't want to post prematurely.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@LaserGuy, I'll be able to replace as of Monday, I think, if needed.

Hmm... Madge is going to be away for all of the week you get back. Maybe you guys should form a hydra so you can cover the time together :P

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
bessie flipping scum is less of a surprise than I'd imagine it being. Sabrar being killed looks like Vicarin told player 3 "you do the kill, I'll likely be tracked." The target also suggests that player 3 is new, since he's the most obvious target, which means Mark or SuperJedi.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@LaserGuy, I'll be able to replace as of Monday, I think, if needed.

Hmm... Madge is going to be away for all of the week you get back. Maybe you guys should form a hydra so you can cover the time together :P
Haha, I like it. Not sure how Madge would cope with my walls though :lol:
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
I'm assuming third scum is Zen?
If so then that team was super-scary...

Good to see that my streak of being the N1 kill continues as planned. :cry:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm UTC

Texas:
Spoiler:
Scum is bessie, Mark, Zen. You actually had all three of them right on your first reads list. Mark is the rolestopper.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Oh... Thanks. Then I totally misread BoomFrog's comments here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

Texas:
Spoiler:
Scum is in some trouble here. Vic lynch is basically a given at this point, but if Mark is lynched next it's kind of a disaster since the trackers can clear people very easily, and he's pretty vulnerable to either lynch or even vig at this point.

I think they had some bad luck with both bessie and Zen having issues with low activity for RL reasons. Got off on the wrong foot and never really recovered. I guess path to victory is something like Vic -> SuperJedi -> Mark lynches and hope for LYLO with something like Zen/mpolo/moody.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Bahahaha I'm so sorry Sabrar :lol:
I just thought you were blatantly overconfident. Our TvsT wastes of time will be LEGENDARY!

Though I'd still appreciate those answers after the game, now you know I meant them coming from a townie place :P

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:33 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
For BoomFrog's question, it probably was dropping to 40% near the end of the day, because I knew Sabrar was wrong about something. But if everyone else is seeing bessie as scummy, then who am I to disagree with a majority :P (I'll fight for it though). I guess I was just amazed to see bessie get seen as scummy D1 and then lynched despite cruising by so easily the past few games.

Now I've got to convince people that my backup plan was to see if anyone jumped on my somewhat strange plytho read. It was backed up with just the stats, and I was willing to go with that seeing as scum!plytho has been tough to separate from town!plytho, but unless bessie was aggressively bussing, he's pretty town now. bessie and SuperJedi ended up adopting my read, for different reasons.

This Sabrar kill is so silly, trying to frame me. Like I would want to kill him, I was having too much fun :P.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:

Haha, I like it. Not sure how Madge would cope with my walls though :lol:

i'm down for this in theory lol. but it does take away from the ability for there to be an extra replacement (unless we start using zombies)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:25 am UTC

Texas
Spoiler:
Just want to look like I'm saying something.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:12 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
No scum would bus Bessie D1 until it was obviously too late. (Maybe YOLO would :p ) Vic defended too hard to be a mate, and his shock D2 was genuine. And wam+ SuperJedi are not mates, wam was too blatant.

That means most likely Jedi and Mark are the remaining scum.

I'll let Zen pressure moody a bit. But I don't have a ton of credit to use up after I voted Sabrar and wam over Bessie, so no shenanigans from me. Best thing I can do for town is not attract suspicion. If we misslynch today I'll be under suspicion D3.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 pm UTC

Texas holdem
Spoiler:
I'm so happy my two early reads were correct! We're in a great position now. With Madge claiming vig we're likely to get an extra kill. (And I'm likely to survive to D3). God I hope we don't mess this up. I haven't won with town since my very first game (diablo almost 2 years ago).

@bessie and Sabrar: enjoy the gojoe conversation!

@Sabrar: I was annoyed when you said "sheep me for an easy win" because I had already written the "Hoo, boy" response in my head and didn't want to look like I was just sheeping you. :)
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:02 pm UTC

Texas holdem

Spoiler:
Well sabrar you got one right! Let's find out if you got any others!

So I watched boom he didn't visit anyone. Going to pick whoever out of Vic and Jedi doesn't get lynched tonight.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:38 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Just need to convince people to not be lazy and go after me by showing off my townie card relentlessly. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Right??? :lol:

Return to “Mafia”