The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
I think plytho's right: it's a way to ensure he lives longer, so he can get the sash win. Glad to see the sash is causing all sorts of town-on-town shenanigans! Was really worried it'd fall flat somehow and although some people seem inclined to ignore it, it's looking good.

I'm also hoping that we'll be able to get the arsonist to do its thang. I'll be so very upset if mpolo doesn't get to smoke his opponents...
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am UTC

B99:
Spoiler:
Interesting. Turns out that a failed heist on a player with the sash reveals that they had the sash. I blocked bessie. Flavour implies the ability failed, but I was explicitly told she had the sash. I'm guessing she doesn't any more, because I'd expect to have gained the sash myself as a result otherwise.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Madge wrote:I think plytho's right: it's a way to ensure he lives longer, so he can get the sash win. Glad to see the sash is causing all sorts of town-on-town shenanigans! Was really worried it'd fall flat somehow and although some people seem inclined to ignore it, it's looking good.
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed that people didn't take it as seriously as they should I did, so I was glad when you confirmed that this was in fact a serious wincon. Now, none of my play D1 was related to personally grabbing the sash (aside from asking for the sash-holder to claim and refusing to claim the sash myself), D1 was all about scumhunting. I was intending to be sash-batman: awesome scumhunter by day, devious sash hunter by night. (At least after vigging scum N1.)
Last edited by plytho on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Yeah, not buying a bulletproof claim by Zen. Though, we don't really have to risk getting around it if we Strongman him N2 and then Doc kill N3...

I do like this large amount of claims going out though, if I can juuuust frame a Tracker, Cop or Watcher each night then there could be a hell of a lot of chaos. Self watcher is significantly weaker than normal watcher though, wonder what the strength level of the rest of Town is. Hell, we might have safe claims stronger than a bunch of town PRs...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

@plytho - unlabelled spoiler B99?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm UTC

Yes, it's b99
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm UTC

:oops: yes, edited

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

Madge wrote:...

Madge - want to co-mod a New Years / Chrismukwanza game?

Edit: Make that Madge, LaserGuy, and/or anyone else who is interested. Generally thinking heavy-ish on flavor, not incredibly complicated on roles although some less common roles, and no/low bastardry. Open to suggestions though.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm UTC

Jimbob expressed interest in doing secret Santa this year, but I may be interested in doing something afterwards! Depends on how I feel after b99

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Jimbob expressed interest in doing secret Santa this year, but I may be interested in doing something afterwards! Depends on how I feel after b99
Yes, I'm still interested in doing it, assuming everybody in the queue is happy for me to jump in for the traditional Christmas game. I imagine that it will start shortly after B99 finishes, but that will depend on how long that game takes. There could be space for a quick game in between.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 pm UTC

I added the xmas game to the queue months ago, with mod TBA, so you should be right :)

It's mid November so I think whenever B99 finishes it will be appropriate for a Christmas game to start

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 pm UTC

I was thinking of trying to put in some sort of small 5-9 players "low content, limited word count per day" sort of game in between our regular games. There are a lot of players who have trouble with the high volume games we've been having and I think having an alternative style game would be a good option. And running it in parallel to existing games means high volume people can play both. This would be newbie friendly as well. Hoping to pull back in people like threetwoone, superjedi, and Sir_Gabriel, and be accommodating for people like Mark and somitomi and give something to do for the people who die early in the main game. What do people think?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm UTC

Thumbs up from me on that one BoomFrog.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:46 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
So, if this is really what happened, I'm wondering if my kill getting blocked wasn't too bad after all. If I'd murdered LaserGuy, I'd probably end up with the Sash, and there'd be a paper trail from bessie to LaserGuy assuming jimbob has useful information, so I'd probably be incredibly screwed as soon as someone targeted me.

Yay?

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
I tried to make my flavour as non-confirmatory as possible, but of course people are still taking it as confirmatory...... I'm feeling like I did bad even though I know I told people that the flavour was for entertainment purposes only!

Just watch, Vic will end up thinking that Boyle is a secret traitor to scum because the Boyle character's personality is to worship the ground that Jake walks on.

Also, all my night flavour contradicts each other: Scully thinks he 'sung' results to Bessie, but Bessie/Holt received the results written on an antique globe. Jimbob thinks he stole the Sash out of Bessie's pocket, but Bessie/Holt thinks it was stolen out of Holt's desk safe. Because there's no way to make the flavour funny and consistent without outing peoples' rolenames, so I'm ignoring that. If that makes any sense at all.

Repeat after me, everyone: the flavour is just for fun.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
FrogBoom wrote:We are unlikely to have a straight up town roleblocker,
:twisted:

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Zen's gambit is a thing of beauty. By "confirming" he still has the BP he's not interfering with any results anymore. Town is no longer mislead about who might have been targeted. Scum won't shoot him because he takes two shots and the kicker is that the doctor has one less townie to worry about.

I have high hopes for LaserGuy rereading D1.

I hope someone realizes that my reads D1 were made with the same pov everyone has now, so they're still entirely valid.

Things I want people to pick up from my reads:
-LaserGuy: town for his unvotes
-Zen: town for not believing the sarcasm in my first post
-Vicarin: scum for that reads list and not updating his opinion on BoomFrog (and also the slip)

-mpolo talking about SK a lot

Reads that I hope will be ignored:
-bessie
-BoomFrog

Zeniiiii wrote:laser you should totally copy-paste plytho's post
I love you, dude.
I forgot to put that on the list :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:44 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Oh my god plytho has sooooooo many spoilers in here why on earth is he talking so much aaarrrgghhhhh!!!

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
:twisted: this is all about freaking Vic out.

Actually, I got way too invested in the game D1 and can't stop thinking about it.

If Zen manages to lynch somi that would be great for town. Getting rid of the strongman means town have massive protection: Mark is actually protected by Zen, LaserGuy is virtually protected as likely doc target, Zen is virtually protected by his claim. This means the NK target is either protected (Mark or mark's target) or someone scummy looking, leaving less room for scum to hide.

If both scum survive to N2 they may still not use the strongman if they're convinced Mark is the doc.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
throwback to a while ago. Zens move is very reminiscent what Adam H used to pull as town.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I was thinking of trying to put in some sort of small 5-9 players "low content, limited word count per day" sort of game in between our regular games. There are a lot of players who have trouble with the high volume games we've been having and I think having an alternative style game would be a good option. And running it in parallel to existing games means high volume people can play both. This would be newbie friendly as well. Hoping to pull back in people like threetwoone, superjedi, and Sir_Gabriel, and be accommodating for people like Mark and somitomi and give something to do for the people who die early in the main game. What do people think?
I'm definitely into this. You could make it like maximum 5 "tweets" a day or something with tweets being limited to 140 characters.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:01 pm UTC

Or maybe like haikus or limericks :D

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:22 pm UTC

I might play that. I don't really have time to play a real game, but could probably manage a twitter game.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

Yeah I could do a limited game too. Or a game where people don't mind that I'm posting 1-3x/day (but they can be big posts).

And/or can help with the Christmas game.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

plytho wrote:Or maybe like haikus or limericks :D

Haha! I will definitely include some non-mandatory encouragement for poetry. Actually that sounds like fun flavor. Poetry Slam mafia it is. (note, I have never attended a poetry slam in my life)
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:36 am UTC

We are trying to lower the time needed to write words to others. I think your idea would make everything harder and raise the work needed to play the game.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:34 pm UTC

Ah, that's just me then.
I always found the non-technical parts of English class a huge chore compared to everything else.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:Ah, that's just me then.
I always found the non-technical parts of English class a huge chore compared to everything else.

Oh, writing poetry is a huge chore as well. That's why I said it'd be non mandatory. I'm thinking 10 posts a day, but one poem will not count against the limit. So it will be totally fine to play without writing any poetry if someone wants to. Besides, a terrible haiku is usually pretty easy to write. Tell you what, I'll even allow "spoken word" poetry. No rhyming needed, just some attempt at keeping a meter. You could make "up-goer-five" speak your style. :) Poetry is really just any message that plays with words sufficiently.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:12 pm UTC

So 10 posts (maximum?) a day, but 11 if you use a poem?

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:24 pm UTC

What happened to peaceful whale, I miss him

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:So 10 posts (maximum?) a day, but 11 if you use a poem?

That's the plan I'm going with at the moment. 10 tweet sized posts a day plus 1 poem of reasonable length. You can only vote with a post although the vote doesn't count towards character limits. Questions to the mod do not count towards the limit. I'm open to suggestions.

Zenii wrote:What happened to peaceful whale, I miss him
Ditto. I can't remember what happened. I think his last game was NNY?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
My gut says JimBob is town and Vic is scum, but I need to do the reread before I make the switch. If I do it too casually Zen will get paranoid again and switch to JimBob. I'm in 'poison pill' mode. Whichever lynch I vote for will be treated with suspicion, but not enough suspicion for me to actually get lynched.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:52 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
This situation is.... not ideal, but I can work with it. Turns out that I might be able to give somitomi a bunch of town cred if I do go down, but I'd reaaaally prefer to be able to coordinate first.

Still wondering what the hell the setup is. bessie as Indie starting with the Sash does make the most sense to me, but noone else seems to be buying it. BoomFrog is also a good choice for Indie, as pointed out by Zen. Hmmmmmmm... I'm really doubting it's just 8-2, because that is HARSH for Mafia, and wouldn't match with the Sash wincon questions, and I'm also not seeing a 7-3 with Traitor.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Ah, the reverse of Texas, where I'm now scum getting read as scum because of connections to town. Good times.

I do find it amusing that BoomFrog occasionally calls me Vicarian and people think he's my partner though :P.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 am UTC

B99
Spoiler:
Vic and jim seem to be the most skeptical about my bp claim. I want to lynch whichever of them is more likely to gamble against it, which I think is Vic. I think jim would be more concerned with killing bessie for cop soft.

@plytho I wasn't avoiding your questions because of my read on you. I was avoiding them because i didn't feel the discussion was an efficient use of page space considering other players were struggling to keep up. if everyone was as able to as you and i, then i would have loved to engage

btw I still don't understand your vic slip, no more than I understood your sabrar read in texas. If we're right about vic, I'm going to just relent that your thought processes are beyond my capacity to comprehend.

don't know who to target tonight - laser or whoever i think will target him. hmmmm

also why is mpolo not saying anything about the message lmao. maybe i should have said "I'm traitor" rather than "Traitor". the latter is too ambiguous

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Zennii wrote:btw I still don't understand your vic slip, no more than I understood your sabrar read in texas. If we're right about vic, I'm going to just relent that your thought processes are beyond my capacity to comprehend.
One more try on that slip: Vic said "we don't need to worry about who has the sash" based on the fact that there could be no accidental pyrrhic victory. We already knew town wasn't allowed to collaborate with scum or force a scum victory to get the sash win. So Vicarin is saying that "we don't need to worry" about the accidental pyrrhic only. He's saying we do need to worry about who has the sash if an accidental pyrrhic victory is possible and we don't need to worry if it isn't.

That sentiment is quite true for scum: if that pyrrhic victory is possible it means scum need to capture the sash before they win. If it's not possible they don't need to do that. They just need to win and they automatically win the sash. In other words: they don't need to worry about who has the sash. (this is particularly true for a shared victory)

For town, the sentiment makes a lot less sense imo. There's almost no difference between the two scenarios. Townies want a town win in both scenarios and they want the sash in both scenarios. If Vic had said "now we know everyone will be fully committed to reaching the town wincon" it would have made sense, but the words he chose were "we don't have to worry about who has the sash" and I still don't see how we'd need to worry about who has the sash more if they can accidentally win with scum. Even if a townie with the sash would subconsciously not be fully focused on lynching scum.

As for the current state of the game:
I'm really liking that Vicarin wagon. I also like that LaserGuy picked up bessie's signal about mpolo. I'm not sure bessie picked up LaserGuy's signal back, though. I do hope bessie manages to use her tracker result to catch mpolo.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Ugh, always so frustrating having mpolo just trip over all the facts and then happen to vote correctly, why can't he roll scum again already and wipe the floor with everyone who automatically town reads him :P.

Welp, guess we get to find out if Town does happen to have a downside for having the Sash and BoomFrog and plytho managed to not mention it, or whether I'm being way too paranoid.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 pm UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Ok, so it wasn't the passive thing, phew. THAT would have been a disaster. On the other hand, we now have Zen apparently with an investigative power that makes me look like a liar, but I framed him last night sooooooooo it should be ok? Does framing when the person is targeting scum return a result which is helpful to scum, or will it just make me look ridiculous??? Argghhhhhhh...

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 am UTC

B99

Spoiler:
Vicarin said.... wrote:Ugh, always so frustrating having mpolo just trip over all the facts and then happen to vote correctly, why can't he roll scum again already and wipe the floor with everyone who automatically town reads him :P.

:lol:

Don't worry Vic... zenii has no way to know you're lying... he's just somehow really good?

Return to “Mafia”