Mafia Crazy Round 3 Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Silknor

Mafia Crazy Round 3 Over

Postby Silknor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:50 am UTC

The game has ended, results near the end.

All PMs sent, PM me if you haven't received your role PM. Day 1 will end in just over 50 hours from now, at 9 PM PST Sunday (5 AM GMT Monday).

Mbrownmx is co-modding with me, all PMs to the Mods must be sent to both of us.[/b]

The basic Mafia rules are posted here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25190&start=0

Welcome to Mafia Crazy Round 3: "Castle Camelot"

No roleclaims, at all.

The setting for this round is an English Castle (complete with a dragon of course) where French Spies have infiltrated and killed the Her Royal Majesty. There are several intentional anachronisms (it is Crazy Round after all).

Basic Setup:
English (Town Side):
1 Somewhat Loved Princess
4 Guards
1 Lyncher
1 King Arthur
1 Q
1 Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Ass
1 Mystic
1 CSI

French Roles (Mafia Side):
1 French Ambassador
1 Evil Q
2 French Field Agents

Additional Second Roles:
1 Jester
1 Lynchee

English Roles:
1 Somewhat Loved Princess: The heir to the throne, she is well liked by all, but it wouldn't devastate anyone if she died. Is faint of heart. The first up to 12 hours of the day after she dies will be her funeral, all the town will attend and there will be no discussion about lynching or justice during the ceremony. But the Mafia will take advantage of this and get to discuss and make one day kill. The Princess does not know she is the princess. No special powers.

4 Guards: Sworn protectors of the princess, these guards are firm believers in security through obscurity (we'll see how that works out). Are told who the princess is, but may not say who the princess is publically. No special powers.

1 Lyncher: A vengeful man who was wronged years ago, the Lyncher tries to use the chaos of the French attack to kill his target, the lynchee. Knows who the lynchee is, but not the role/alignment of the lynchee. While the lynchee is alive, has sole goal of lynching them. After the lynchee is dead/lynched the lyncher becomes a vanilla townie and wins with the town.

1 King Arthur: A great and honorable man, recently made a widower by the vile French, he has sworn to drive the French from England; his talents as a Knight should help greatly with this. Each night can pick one target and chooses to either protect them (successful vs all night attacks/the pumpkin's laser) or kill them.

1 Q: A mysterious Brit who claims to be from the future, he has great knowledge of technology and crafts esoteric devices to help the town. During each day, sends the name of a device to the mods (this name should be fairly complicated, formal, technical, and somewhat vague ideally). The mods then converse and determine what the device should do, using the name as a basis for the function. The mods will then inform Q what his device does and Q can choose to use the device at night (he may also save the device till the next night) on a specific target (if applicable for that device). Each device is destroyed after one use, and cannot be reinvented, nor will overly similar devices be created. We won't give any examples, but suggest the role lists on these sites (http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikebur ... scum04.swf http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page) as a possible source of inspiration. Each device Q invents will do something, though for balance reasons it may need to be weaker or different than what Q was hoping for (and sometimes will have no significant effect). Some devices may work on the Flying Pumpkin when flying, but others will not, Q will be told which is the case for each.

1 Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Ass: While none know it's origin, nobody is foolish enough to underestimate this flying, well-armed, and quite popular gourd. Has two night abilites, fly and arm laser, and each night can use one and/or the other, or use neither. Fly is 3 charge and if the Pumpkin chooses to fly then a charge is depleted, even if they aren't targeted. Fly avoids normal night kills/Arthur protection, but may not provide protection from some devices. Arm Lasers is 1 charge, but is not depleted if it doesn't fire (it is depleted though if it fires and doesn't kill due to protection). If Arm Lasers is used, the first person to target the Pumpkin that night will be shot with a laser and will die if not protected, if multiple people target the Pumpkin that night, a random one will be targeted. Is highly encouraged to make as many Halloween/Orange/Trick or Treat references as possible, but since no one is allowed to roleclaim, this will not be required. Obviously nothing too explicit of a roleclaim is ok.

1 Mystic: That old man that always seems to be staring at something behind you and talking to animals claims he can communicate with those beyond life and pledges this power to help King Arthur. Each day sends the name of one living player to the mods. Later that day will get a cryptic PM from the mods containing information about the target. The PM may have unusual structure such as poem/prose and will intentionally be confusing (and will have some possibly obscure references to previous Mafia rounds, history, or fiction). But each PM from the mods will contain some useful information, even if is difficult to figure out the meaning.

1 CSI: The star of CSI: Arthur's Court has strange eyes following him around at all times, but he claims to care about getting rid of the French and so the castle reluctantly accepts him. Each night picks one player to secretly co-star on the show, if that player is killed during the night, the CSI will get information on the killer, anywhere from a couple solid clues to the guaranteed accurate name of the killer. Like everyone else, cannot roleclaim.

French Roles
:
1 French Ambassador: Responsible for the murder of the Queen, the Ambassador hopes to overthrow the English Court from within so that he may take power and claim England for France, has evil minions for this purpose. Functions like a traditional Godfather: Appears innocent to cops (mystic/Q devices), cannot be killed at night (except by the Pumpkin when the Ambassador is not the target of protection), picks the French night kill target and the killer. Cannot be replaced if he dies, the kills/killer selection for the French will be based on consensus then.

1 Evil Q: Q's twin brother, separated at birth, he was corrupted by his adoptive French family and now has traveled back in time to defeat the English,;he is also a skilled inventor. Just like the Q in terms of powers, but of course will have different names and intentions for the devices he picks.

2 French Field Agents: Loyal Frenchmen, they serve their Ambassador with their lives. Standard Mafia Goons, nothing special here.

Additional Second Roles:
1 Jester: A funny figure in a strange outfit and always very happy, the Jester seems to have a death wish which he constantly tries to fulfill when not entertaining, this is probably because he has a keen sense of irony. The Jester wins when they are lynched, they lose if they are alive at the end of the game or are night killed. This role was randomly assigned to someone who already had another role (either English or French), and the Jester/Other Role will still have all the powers of their second role, but will only want to get lynched. Knows who they are and knows their other role. May not roleclaim, even falsely (can't say I am a French Spy etc), they have to be suspicious without being explicit.

1 Lynchee: The target of the Lyncher. This role was randomly assigned to someone who already had another role (either English or French), and the Lynchee/Other Role will still have all the powers of their second role. The Lynchee does not know they are the Lynchee, only the Lyncher knows who the Lynchee is.
Last edited by Silknor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:17 pm UTC, edited 10 times in total.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Re: Mafia Crazy Round 3

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Woo!

So, like, crazy and stuff.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Ohhh man, this is gonna be double extra crazy fun and stuff. Nice job on the rolls, mods.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:09 am UTC

But the French will be easy to find, all we have to do is find the people with the outrageous accents (you silly king).

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:15 am UTC

This looks to be insanely awesome. Points for including the FPTSLBOOIA once again, Silknor. That orange rascal is the most fun to play, ever.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:18 am UTC

Do you think we should all cover for the ORANGE pumpkin man again? or just let it run it's course? Also, a few of the roles mean this game will be awesome fun for the mods (Like the mysric and Q)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Well, this time around saying orange, Halloween, etc. is not actually required, just recommended. So we don't really have to do it.

Also, I've been thinking about the roles. If the Princess does not know who she is, then I'm thinking she must have two roles because otherwise she would be the only vanilla townie, and thus deduce that she is the princess. Am I right?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Whoops, i did not read the description of the pumpkin. I just assumed it would be the same.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:29 am UTC

You know, guys, orange is my favorite color.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Also, I've been thinking about the roles. If the Princess does not know who she is, then I'm thinking she must have two roles because otherwise she would be the only vanilla townie, and thus deduce that she is the princess. Am I right?

Or we lied to the Princess for the justifiable reason of preventing that.

That in fact is what we did, we don't want the princess to know who they are and so had no choice. Once the princess dies though you'll all know you aren't the princess. To be specific, the princess was told they were a Guard and was given the name of a Guard as the Princess.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Silknor wrote:
kellsbells wrote:Also, I've been thinking about the roles. If the Princess does not know who she is, then I'm thinking she must have two roles because otherwise she would be the only vanilla townie, and thus deduce that she is the princess. Am I right?

Or we lied to the Princess for the justifiable reason of preventing that.

That in fact is what we did, we don't want the princess to know who they are and so had no choice. Once the princess dies though you'll all know you aren't the princess. To be specific, the princess was told they were a Guard and was given the name of a Guard as the Princess.
Ah, okay, gotcha. Sorry if I revealed a devious part of the mod plan... :wink:

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Player List:
1. Blast
2. AngrySquirrel
3. Overbored
4. Tigion
5. Kellsbells
6. Bulvox
7. une see
8. drconcon
9. nsmjohn
10. Azrael001
11. Megatriorchis
12. The Moo Prophet
13. Gojoe
14. OneOfTheDragon
15. michaelandjimi

All PMs sent. If you haven't received on PM me, do not post here.

It was late one peaceful night when the French Spies made their move. The Ambassador slipped into the Royal Chambers and found the Queen there alone. King Arthur was not there! Running out of time, the Ambassador knew he must make his move now, and so slipped his Rapier into the Queen's heart. The next morning, King Arthur returned from his trip and found the Queen dead in Bed, the a note in French left there saying "Welcome to l'Angleterre, Province of France." The King called together all his subjects and announced the sad news, and the town was whipped into a frenzy for lynching. Thus began the Crisis At Camelot Court.

If I make mistakes in my French throughout the game I apologize, I have no knowledge of French, and will rely on Babelfish and Websites when I want write something in French.

Her Majesty's Frenzy! As the Queen has just died, the subjects at Camelot are in a particularlly bloodthirsty frenzy, they demand justice, even the justice of a plurality. For today only the lynch requirement is set at 6 instead of 8. No Lynch requires 10 Votes.

It is now Day 1. Day 1 will end in just over 50 hours from now, at 9 PM PST Sunday (5 AM GMT Monday). If 6 votes for someone have not been reached by that time, the highest vote count will be lynched, if there is a tie I will select randomly.

Bonne Chance!

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Kells: I was going to have to reveal that anyway, no worries.

Megatriorchis

Re: Mafia Crazy Round 3 Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Je sais parler français, mais je ne suis pas française.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Non? Mais c'est impossible que tu put parler Francais si tu n'est pas Qubecois ou Francais.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:03 am UTC

J'étudie le français à l'école.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I hate you guys... french bastards...

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Keep that up and I'll start to think you two are French :evil:

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Quoi? Vous ne savez pas lire le français?

I'm not French, I'm just pretty good with the language. XD

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Anyway, to kick things off, lets discuss the new roles. How they are awesome, or how they are not

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Bonjour, mon ami!

That's the uh...extent of my knowledge of French. :P
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Ma Mere a diside que je besoin (sp?) etudee la Francais pour tout mes ecolle, mais... bah!

I can't take this any more.

I have forgotten a lot more than I thought. I am not disappointed. I am one of the anti-french Canadians, if you knew the things I did you would be too.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Je ne suis pas français, mais je suis capable d'utiliser des traducteurs.

Anyways, lets get things moving here...
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Anyway, to kick things off, lets discuss the new roles. How they are awesome, or how they are not
Righto. So I'm thinking that Q and the Mystic are pretty tough roles, because each relies on the player's ingenuity and deduction. So whoever you guys are, be really clever, okay?

With a Jester in play, things are tricky. Silknor said it was a secondary role, which means that the Jester could either play as an overly suspicious townie or a very obvious Frenchman in his attempts to get lynched. He loses if he gets night-killed, which is interesting. If he's town-aligned, then that might require him to be pretty quiet and avoid French attention (which goes against getting him lynched), but if he's French-aligned, the only person who might night-kill him is King Arthur. It's all rather difficult to balance out.

CSI is kind of useless unless the mods want to be generous with the info he receives when his co-star is killed. I hope he's really good at detecting who scum targets, because he needs to do it subtly and not deter scum from killing that co-star. Eh. Complicated.

The French Ambassador is practically invincible unless he targets the pumpkin when its ass-laser is charged, or we lynch him. Q and King Arthur are useless against him... so finding him fast would be great. He's way too damn dangerous, and the French (especially Evil Q) will be protecting him as much as possible.

The Lyncher/Lynchee dynamic is intriguing. The lynchee has no idea who they are, so I'm figuring that we can identify the Lyncher if he jumps on lynching somebody who nobody else really suspects. The Lyncher could be either pro- or anti-town, depending on the Lynchee's alignment. No roleclaims makes this all rather painful.

...That's all for right now. I realize there wasn't too much actual content in that post, but I'm still working on wrapping my head around most of these roles.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Gojoe: The roles are awesome, but it's a lot to take in. This is my first Crazy Mafia, so I might mess up with some of the roles... :roll:

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 am UTC

I was able to read all that French stuff! Yay!

Hmm, regarding the roles...

I like the Princess + Guard dynamic. That they each could be the Princess and not know it. I'm not sure how we could stop lynchng her, at least at the moment. Because a bunch of people protecting one person could be Mafia or Guards.

The lyncher become a townie is a bit interesting. It means that, when we discover that someone is a lynchee, it means that there is a good chance of one of the people voting for them being a lyncher, and therefore someone we can trust.

The King Arthur is a cool cop/hitman. Is definitely a good power role for the town.

The Q looks interesting. I can just imagine him saving all of his inventions and then, one night, unleashing them all in a flurry of Mafia death. Perhaps we could give him/her ideas? Definitely fun for the mods. I'm sad that I actually know the source for the role.

The FPTSLBOOIA looks hilarious. Definitely good for the town.

The Mystic would be a fantastic role to play. I definitely want it next crazy round.

The CSI looks cool too.

Between Mystic and CSI, they can easily drop clues about who is Mafia and whatnot. They are both very useful characters. I strongly encourage them to drop hints during the game.

The Jester, we just have to hope isn't a power role. Hope that he is a guard or Mafia. If he is Mafia, it would seem a very easy role. He avoids night kills, and just has to avoid being noticed by the King Arthur and potentially the Pumpkin.

The French: Field Agents and Ambassador are nothing we haven't seen before, merely dressed up in a different name. The Evil Q is a wildcard, and I suggest we take him out ASAP.

Just for reference, 4 out of 15 are Mafia.
1 out of 15 is out for himself until he gets lynched, and may be pro-Mafia or Town.
1 out of 15 is out for himself until he gets someone else lynched, and then is pro-town.
10 out of 15 are pro-town.
1 out of 15 is going to be targeted by the lyncher.
2(or 3, if Q gets a device) are town-aligned information-gatherers.
1(or 2, if Q) are town-aligned nightkillers.
Potentially 2 Mafia killers a night.
Potentially 1 Mafia information-gatherers.

That's all I got so far.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 am UTC

My first thought is how the complete lack of role claims really changes the dynamics here. Players are going to have to really get down and use what they know and what the read to pick the details out of everyone's posts.

Obviously King Aurthr and Q (both evil and non-French variants) are potentially powerful, and probably potentially amusing in Q's case.

The Mystic and the CSI roles may or may not come up with anything great, depending a little on luck, but mostly on what the mods decide to do with them and how good the two players are at putting together/puzzling out the information.

I think of the Princess role and it reminds of the siblings from Crazy Round 1, except worse since the French get to choose the second target when she dies, instead of a pre-determined other person dying. It also provides the difficulty that the Guards may appear to be working together to protect someone.

I'll add more if anyhting else occurs to me. I think everyone should go ahead and post their thoughts.

Oh yeah, I'll say it again. Players are going to have to think about everything everyone says, and really try to put posts together. It really helps to take notes, though I suspect most of us that have been in a few games already know that.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:The Lyncher/Lynchee dynamic is intriguing. The lynchee has no idea who they are, so I'm figuring that we can identify the Lyncher if he jumps on lynching somebody who nobody else really suspects. The Lyncher could be either pro- or anti-town, depending on the Lynchee's alignment. No roleclaims makes this all rather painful.

That's not quite true, I have accused people with little to no evidence except for a gut feeling. Though I seem to be the only one who does that...

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
kellsbells wrote:The Lyncher/Lynchee dynamic is intriguing. The lynchee has no idea who they are, so I'm figuring that we can identify the Lyncher if he jumps on lynching somebody who nobody else really suspects. The Lyncher could be either pro- or anti-town, depending on the Lynchee's alignment. No roleclaims makes this all rather painful.

That's not quite true, I have accused people with little to no evidence except for a gut feeling. Though I seem to be the only one who does that...
I tend to do it later on in games. Not early, though.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:38 am UTC

MaJ, don't forget about potential protections too. I believe King Aurthur may choose to protect one person, and I imagine it is possible that the Q's could end up with a protection/role blocking device.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Oh yeah.

So, add 2 potential town-protectors
and 1 potential Mafia-protector.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Well yes, when the thread is read as it is being written a person will seem perfectly innocent, but when you have a whole bunch of their posts to go through, a bigger picture is painted. Day two or three is the best time for this in my opinion.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:43 am UTC

I think that the Q, King Arthur and the Mystic are the most powerful roles this game, and the most valuable players.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Hmmm... Have we discovered any startling new insights yet?

Man, I hate first days. Want to get into a big argument about what the best first lynch is? That seemed to happen other times.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:49 am UTC

I think that you are. :lol:

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I think that you are. :lol:
Man, it took me a couple of reads to work out what you meant.

It is my professional opinion that my death would be lame.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:54 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:It is my professional opinion that my death would be lame.

Sig'd to the extreme!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Watching Shoot 'em Up now, be back later.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Just a reminder, day 1 you have about 2 extra hours and need only 6 of 15 votes for a lynch, so an important purpose of day 1 is to understand all the roles before the first night.

I'll check the thread often to answer questions, but if you don't want to give away your role, you can PM me, I'll post my answer in the thread if it's relevant to all players' understanding.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:The French Ambassador is practically invincible unless he targets the pumpkin when its ass-laser is charged, or we lynch him. Q and King Arthur are useless against him... so finding him fast would be great. He's way too damn dangerous, and the French (especially Evil Q) will be protecting him as much as possible.
Not so sure. To me, it seems as though they would protect the Evil Q (assuming they know who it is) more. Because if the Ambassador dies, the Mafia aren't too penalised - they can still make kills and everything. But if the Evil Q dies, they lose the devices each night.

That's not to say they won't protect the Ambassador. I just think they'll protect the Evil Q more.

I agree that we should try and take him out, of course. He's just not as potentially dangerous for us as EQ.

Return to “Mafia”