Mafiascum Round 6 - Enter The Matrix - Day 4

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Mafiascum Round 6 - Enter The Matrix - Day 4

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 am UTC

The Basic Rules - Props to Vox Imperatoris:

Spoiler:
Vox Imperatoris wrote:Hello everyone!
Mafia, also known as Werewolf (to infidels, we shall not speak of them), is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small village of innocent people, but hidden among them is a group of nasty mafiosos, whose sole goal is to have at least 50% of the population belong to their organization so that they can control the lynch-votes. Since they cannot recruit people, the only way to achieve this is bloody murder, but not more than one per night. The rest of the town uses their deductive abilities, along with some special roles, to find these infiltrators and lynch them.

Lynch Voting:
xkcd Village is a lawless place, and the only form of justice is the old-fashioned lynch mob. Every "day" (this will be explained shortly), the town chooses a member to hang with a simple majority vote. For the more peaceful towns :? , "no lynch" is also a valid vote. After the mob has strung up the citizen, his house will be investigated overnight (it would seem reasonable to do that before the hanging, no?) and it will be announced if the town hanged a member of the mafia or an innocent townie. There are no "takebacks", once a majority vote has been reached, even for one minute, the "day" is over and the night begins.

You must bold your vote and place it on a separate line for it to my fault if I miss it and therefore do not count it in the official tally.
Example: I think Vox Imperatoris is dirty mafia scum because he said he was the cop, then later said he was the doctor. NB: That would be really stupid, don't do something like that.

Vote: Vox Imperatoris

I changed my mind now, it's definitely RandomGuy.

Unvote: Vox Imperatoris
Vote: RandomGuy

Night—when everything else happens:
People who are not just regular townies (that will be just over half of you), have special powers that are used at night. The most important of these is that of the mafia, but there are also other roles.

The mafia confer through PMs at night only (this part requires the honor code, so please don't ruin the game) about whom they plan to kill; when they reach a unanimous decision, they will PM it to me and I will record it secretly. If you receive the role of a mafia member, you must try especially hard to blend in with the others and subtly place the blame elsewhere. Too little, and the lynch mob will eventually find you; try to take control of it on the first day, and the mob will start to wonder why the mafia hasn't killed you.

Rules:
1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.
3. Please stay on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, I'll keep a running tab of players who want to be replacements.
5. Conversely, don't spam the thread with low content posts; it's very annoying, especially for the lurkers, and it makes it hard to actually analyze you.
6. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis.
7. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the thread AT ALL.
8. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
9. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
10. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.

The roles will be assigned randomly. The game will also start in the day phase to give everyone at least a day of playtime. There are no time limits yet, but I may decide to implement them if the game starts dragging on forever.

Additional Resources
1. Excellent Tutorial: http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikebur ... scum04.swf
2. A whole wiki about this: http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The Matrix has you...

Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world, you don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

You xkcdians are part of this world. You have been born into bondage. But you have heard about the 'Real World'. When Neo said that he was going to show us a world without rules or boundaries, you were some of the first people he thought of. You live in a city centre, and are taking a quick route through a building on the way to work.

There is an old lady, sitting on a chair, smoking and eating cookies. A Taiwanese guy is wearing some mildly traditional clothing, and some sunglasses. Now that you think of it, a lot of these people are wearing sunglasses. Even you are.

Chaos breaks loose. Men and women you have never seen are pulling off martial arts stunts the like of which you have never seen. An oddly familiar man places his hand in another person's chest, and you watch in horror as he becomes the other man.

The dust clears. Some of you remain. Given the similar dress, everyone is hard to tell apart. But you know that some of you are responsible for a lot of the deaths of the civilians, lying around. Luckily, a guillotine is "rescued" from a Museum nearby by some of the more bloodthirsty of you, and you all want to kill those responsible for those dead around you.

Welcome to Mafia, Round 6.

Sign-ups are now open. So far, there are:

1. JayHsu
2. Blast
3. Megatriorchis
4. crucialityfactor
5. Azrael001
6. Kellsbells
7. Drconcon
8. Vox Imperatoris
9. Overbored
10. Nebuduck
11. Tigion
12. Gojoe
13. une see
14. The Moo Prophet
15. Bulvox
16. Oneofthedragon
17. Cycoden
18. Aeiss
19. Mat-tina
20. Chrismcleglass
21. Sarr
22. Ishindri
23. InstinctSage
24. Dashiva33

It will be modded by Silknor and myself.

Roles:

Pro-town:
1 Neo
1 Trinity
1 Morpheus
1 The Oracle
1 Seraph
1 Tank
1 Niobe
1 Switch
1 Apoc
7 Redpill Townies

Cult:
1 Smith
2 Replicas

Machines:
1 Deus Ex Machina
1 Cypher
1 The Architect
1 Agent Thompson
1 Agent Johnson

Pro-Town:

Neo - I know kung fu.
The One, The Only. Neo is the saviour of mankind and can manipulate the very code of the Matrix. Neo is a Jack of All Trades. He gets one use each of: Rolecop, Roleblock, Kill, Elite Bodyguard, Doctor and Watcher. With the Elite Bodyguard option, he can protect one person, and if that person is attacked or recruited, the attacker/recruiter dies. The Watcher can watch one person's 'house' and if they leave, or someone enters, Neo is told this. He is not informed of the identity of any visitor, and Mafia/Mason communication does not count. He can also learn one role (but is told townie if he investigates the Deus Ex Machina), roleblock once, kill once and protect once (lasts 2 nights). He is restricted to one role emulation per night. He cannot target himself with any role. Furthermore, Neo is part of the Masons - he can communicate with Trinity and Morpheus via PM each night. This Masonic circle is non-recruiting.

Trinity - Dodge this.
Trinity is in love with Neo, and a skilled hacker and warrior. Is a member of the Masonic circle. Can communicate with Neo and Morpheus at night. Has no further powers.

Morpheus - There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
Morpheus is the Captain of the Nebuchadnezzar, and a skilled hacker and warrior. Is a member of the Masonic circle. Can communicate with Neo and Trinity at night. Has no further powers.

The Oracle - I'd ask you to sit down, but you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
The Oracle is a program that can tell the future. Each day sends the name of one living player to the mods. Later that day will get a cryptic PM from the mods containing information about the target. The PM may have unusual structure such as poem/iambic pentameter and will intentionally be confusing (and will have some possibly obscure references to previous Mafia rounds, history, or fiction). But each PM from the mods will contain some useful information, even if is difficult to figure out the meaning. The Oracle is told who Seraph is, but cannot communicate with him/her.

Seraph - You do not truly know someone until you fight them.
Seraph is the bodyguard of the oracle. Seraph is an Elite Bodyguard. Each night, he chooses a person to protect. If that person is targeted for a kill or Smith recruit, the recruiter/killer dies instead (and Seraph still lives). Seraph is told who The Oracle is, but cannot communicate with him/her.

Tank - So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Tank is the Operator of the ship Nebuchadnezzar and can use programs to summon items and train the crew. During each day, sends the name of a device to the mods (this name should be fairly complicated, formal, technical, and somewhat vague ideally). The mods then converse and determine what the device should do, using the name as a basis for the function. The mods will then inform Tank what his device does and Tank must use the device that night on a specific target (if applicable for that device). Each device is destroyed after one use, and cannot be reinvented, nor will overly similar devices be created. We won't give any examples, but suggest the role lists on the sites in the spoiler at top as a possible source of inspiration. Each device Tank invents will do something, though for balance reasons it may need to be weaker or different than what Tank was hoping for (and sometimes will have no significant effect).

Apoc and Switch - Our way, or the highway.
Apoc and Switch are two members of the Nebuchadnezzar and are skilled hackers and warriors. One Shot Day Cops. Can send a player's name to the mods via PM, and are told whether the player is pro-Town, pro-Smith or pro-Machines. Are told pro-Town if they investigate Deus Ex Machina. Must send PM to both mods. We will respond ASAP.

Niobe - I've got a feeling this is going to be one hell of a ride.
Captain of the Logos, and good friend to the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar. Is possibly the most skilled non-Neo fighter. One-Shot Day Vigilante. During the day (Not at night, though) says "DayKill:<Name>" (in bold, please) in a post, and that person is dead. That person may continue to post and vote until the mods announce they are dead, but we won't count their vote.

Pro-Machines:

Deus Ex Machina - We don't need you! WE NEED NOTHING!
It seems that the Deus Ex Machina is a physical representation of the machine collective, or some sort of a "leader" or emperor of all the machines, or at the very least a representative authorized to speak on their behalf. He has powers akin to Godfather - immune to night kills and Smith transformation, appears innocent to cops. Is not replaced if he dies. Calls the night kills and so night kills can be blocked by roleblocking either the designated killer or Deus Ex Machina.

The Architect - What do you think I am? Human?
The Architect is the program that created the Matrix and oversees its function. As a program of the Matrix, he is artificial, but this is much more noticeable than with other programs. A machine aligned player with the same powers that Tank has (invents his own devices, but same rules as govern Tank).

Agent Johnson - Hmm... upgrades.
An Agent, upgraded with new features. Standard Roleblocker - He chooses a player each night and that player is unable to perform any action that night. Roleblock vs other roleblockers has priority over the other roleblocker's roleblock.

Agent Thompson - Hmm... upgrades.
An Agent, upgraded with new features. One-Shot Day Vigilante. During the day (Not at night, though) says "DayKill:<Name>" (in bold, please) in a post, and that person is dead. That person may continue to post and vote until the mods announce they are dead, but we won't count their vote.

Cypher - All I do is what he tells me to do. If I have to choose between that and the Matrix, I choose the Matrix.
Cypher was a member of the Nebuchadnezzar, until he betrayed it so that he may have a perfect life, back in the Matrix. One-Shot Rolecop. Can learn a player's role at night. Because Cypher doesn't believe Neo is the One, Neo comes up as a normal Townie.

Pro-Smith:

Agent Smith - Go ahead, shoot. The best thing about being me... there's so many of me.
Agent Smith was previously a normal Agent, until he was encountered and killed by Neo. When he was Exiled due to this, he became able to spread like a virus. Agent Smith is the leader of his cult. Each night, he may submit a name to the mods, and that person becomes part of his cult. If he targets Neo or Deus Ex Machina, Agent Smith dies and the recruit fails. When a person becomes part of this cult, he wants the cult to win but retains his previous abilities. A new person may not reveal any knowledge he got as part of his/her role (eg Seraph's knowledge of the Oracle, Morpheus and Trinity's knowledge of the masonry, any Machine member's knowledge of the remainder of the Machine), but may reveal any knowledge learnt via Cop investigation. He may PM any member of his cult at night. If Agent Smith dies a Replica will inherit his abilities, determined by the mods.

Replicas - It is purpose that created us. Purpose that connects us. Purpose that pulls us. That guides us.
Agent Smith's clones. Cult Goons. They may PM any other member of the cult at night.

In the coming days, the future is in your hands.

The first day will last for 96 hours after the mods say Day One has begun. No roleclaims, at all.
Last edited by michaelandjimi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 am UTC, edited 11 times in total.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Re: Mafiscum Round 6 - Enter The Matrix - Signups

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Signing up as per request, with the warning that my schedule is quite full over the next three days.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:29 am UTC

YAY! Quix is playing... (pst she is a lady) I still feel bad about messing that up...
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Great. I have to remember meme-atic Legolas Avatar is a lady.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:40 am UTC

I'll join in!
sje46: tell them to shove plungers into their anuses
sje46: make clear that that was only for OOTD

Kells: OOTD, I am giving you my death stare
Kells: Just so you know

Christmas: OOTD I will burn your village and make slaves of your children

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Well i was scolded because HER name ends in otess... which makes her a lady.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 am UTC

So, then, what on earth is a Quixo?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Ii think its like
Don Quixote

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:51 am UTC

But...but....that's silly!

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 am UTC

oneofthedragon wrote:I'll join in!
Awesome. I'll edit you in when we have a couple more.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:07 am UTC

So, quick question, why haven't the agents killed / Smith assimilated us by now?

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Still running with that. I'm thinking you guys are protected by some redpills (the people who have used them, distinct from the "red pills" that you consume), and that's why the agents haven't bodyjumped you. You haven't been assimilated because some of the people from the Matrix are actually there.

All will be properly explained when roles are posted.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:11 am UTC

This is kind of a brutal cool theme. Good going.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:12 am UTC

I will be keeping track of how many times I can use the phrase "I know Kung Fu." during this round.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:13 am UTC

Thanks.

You just wait until you see the roles...

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 am UTC

Can't I go two weeks on these fora without my username/avatar/gender coming under debate? I mean, it's not like my board presence is androgynous...

Also, I forgot to compliment MAJ on his delightfully camp game intro.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Camp?

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:40 am UTC

I'll sign up then :D
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

Yes please! :D

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Hello. Sign me up too.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Ach, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to bow out. Better now than when the game's started, eh?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

I will miss you quix!

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

I be here.
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Confirming. Also, if you have time, please sign up for my Kingmaker Mafia game. We need 5 more people.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Hey vox, i think you should leave sign ups to the mafia discussion thread...

If you make a list, people will come. we have a very big mafia community here now.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:Hey vox, i think you should leave sign ups to the mafia discussion thread...

If you make a list, people will come. we have a very big mafia community here now.

I was just going to post that once, in case people missed it in the discussion thread.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

I'm bumping this thread. It'd be good if we could get, say 1-3 more people, I reckon, Silknor?

When I come home this afternoon I should be able to post roles and PMs should go out not too long after that. This may or may not be contingent on getting new players, but I'm pretty sure we can.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

I'm in. This'll be my first online mafia game, but I've played werewolf IRL so I should be OK with the rules.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:I'm in. This'll be my first online mafia game, but I've played werewolf IRL so I should be OK with the rules.

Infidel!!
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Whee, confirming! This should prove to be exciting.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Sarr the always-townie reporting for duty!
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Count me in! I've been following the last few games, and it looks like great fun.
All is well. We are not like the others.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am UTC

I signed up for F11 and my spot got nicked while I was out for the weekend. I signed up to replace someone in Round 5 and got killed by the hitman only hours later. So now I'm down to the raptor game.
Can I sign up for this one, too? The more the merrier!
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Ain't noone gonna stop you.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I AM in this game. Don't think I am, know I am!
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:20 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I signed up for F11 and my spot got nicked while I was out for the weekend. I signed up to replace someone in Round 5 and got killed by the hitman only hours later. So now I'm down to the raptor game.
Can I sign up for this one, too? The more the merrier!

Sorry Sage, that was me. Man I needed you in Round 5, with your vote we could have convinced them to lynch Cycoden.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Do you want to be in this one?

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I restrict myself to one game, otherwise my co-workers will lynch me. With a name like mine I should be :D.
I am not going to read any spoilers and be a replacement (if needed) later once F11 has finished.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Should be in this game I mean.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 am UTC

I was just wondering, when are we planning on starting this game?

Return to “Mafia”