March Of The Newbies Mini - The Mafia Victorious

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Lynching the first person to claim town is pretty arbitrary. Both mafia and town are going to claim town no matter what. We have no time limit for day lengths, so there's no need to jump straight in and lynch someone. We've only got seven players, we shouldn't rush into an arbitrary lynch. The more time we spend gathering information, the better chances we have of lynching actual mafia. Also, a long first day gives us lots of info to work with later on.
Who's played before? I have, once, but I had to leave that game halfway through to go on holidays with my family.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:12 am UTC

I played Lynchers, was the lyncher, and died on the first day. I played two days of IRC mafia, and wasnt good at all. I am currently playing this game, Intrigue, and the anon game. That makes me sound experienced, but I'm really not.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:12 am UTC

Well, I've never played before, or anything similar to it.
I really don't think it makes much difference when you say you're a townie. I mean, everyone says it at one point or another, right?

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am UTC

__jess wrote:The more time we spend gathering information, the better chances we have of lynching actual mafia. Also, a long first day gives us lots of info to work with later on.

That's certainly true. But we need to talk about something, hence the vote - if only to get conversation started. Since it seems to have served it's purpose, I'll go ahead and

UNVOTE vote: greycloud

Who's played before? I have, once, but I had to leave that game halfway through to go on holidays with my family.

Recently, I've played twice in irc. Once was an odd game (basically the goal was just to be the last man standing with everyone else lynched/daykilled (in the event of a tie), but nobody knew this). The other was an almost vanilla game where the game ended because a jester voted to lynch himself and CntRational went along with it while I was trying to suggest a strategy.

Also I've played several times in R/L with friends or at camp, but not recently.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:22 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Also I've played several times in R/L with friends or at camp, but not recently.

Edit by way of post: this doesn't really mean much. I all happened at least 6 or 7 years ago, and I think I lost every game. So I'm pretty inexperienced, but I like theorizing.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 am UTC

I have played Mafia in real life, and also have been a real life Mafioso, but the 3 games I am currently in here are the first time I have played intertoobs Mafia.

(2/3 of that statement is true.)
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:16 am UTC

My cousin is in the real life mafia. Only he isn't Italian. He lies and says his name is Vinnie
/true story
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:22 am UTC

My boss' name is Vinnie.
Oh me yarm COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.
Heehee.

Conducive to the game: Ok, so it seems like we're all on the same level. Hopefully Fifi will post a bit more today, she's the only one not to have joined in much, right? Lynching lurkers doesn't seem like a very good idea when there's only seven players, so hopefully she posts and we don't have to worry about it.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 am UTC

*Cough, snort, double take*

There's no such thing as a funny sig.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Wildcard, feel free to discuss this game in the kibitz thread, or anywhere else that isn't here. We don't butt into your games.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 am UTC

__jess wrote:Lynching lurkers doesn't seem like a very good idea when there's only seven players, so hopefully she posts and we don't have to worry about it.
If we can't find anything else to base our vote on, lynching the lurker is still a good strategy (even in a vanilla game with only 7 players) because
1. The lurker may, in fact, be scum.
2. We encourage each other to post more which makes for a more interesting game.
3. We will also have more postings upon which to base future decisions since our policy encourages discussion and we get rid of non-contributor.

I know I am not stating any novel theories here, but that does not mean they are not valid.

gojoe wrote:(in this thread, http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32315)
Spoiler:
DAY ONE:

Person 1: How should we kick this day off?
Person 2: Random lynch?
Person 3: That won't work, it never works.

(much later, after mostly fruitless discussion)

Person 4: Person 1 is lurking, lynch the bastard! Votes:Person 1
Person 3: Well we need to move this day ahead. Votes:Person 1
Person 2: Votes:Person 1

(etc)

Mod: Person 1 is lynched.
(modified slightly and spoilerfied by me)
Last edited by MasterOfAll on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:58 am UTC

You've messed up your quote and spoiler tags there.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:06 am UTC

What in the world happened here? Request for a mod to fix this?

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:26 am UTC

Subsilver > prosilver. But even in prosilver, you can still see everything I think; it just moves his avatar to the wrong place.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 am UTC

To fix that, quote me (remove this sentence) and edit your post to match mine.

__jess wrote:Lynching lurkers doesn't seem like a very good idea when there's only seven players, so hopefully she posts and we don't have to worry about it.
If we can't find anything else to base our vote on, lynching the lurker is still a good strategy (even in a vanilla game with only 7 players) because
2. We encourage each other to post more which makes for a more interesting game.
3. We will also have more postings upon which to base future decisions since our policy encourages discussion and we get rid of non-contributor.

I know I am not stating any novel theories here, but that does not mean they are not valid.

gojoe wrote:(in this thread, http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32315)
Spoiler:
DAY ONE:

Person 1: How should we kick this day off?
Person 2: Random lynch?
Person 3: That won't work, it never works.

(much later, after mostly fruitless discussion)

Person 4: Person 1 is lurking, lynch the bastard! Votes:Person 1
Person 3: Well we need to move this day ahead. Votes:Person 1
Person 2: Votes:Person 1

(etc)

Mod: Person 1 is lynched.
(modified slightly and spoilerfied by me)

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:32 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:You've messed up your quote and spoiler tags there.

Are you talking about my post? Because it came out just how I wanted it. If you want to read the quote, then click the spoiler button. What's messed up about that?

Wait, is this another one of those prosilver vs subsilver things? *checks by changing settings* Yup, sorry about that folks. Things look totally fine if you use subsilver.

@new squirrel overlord: is it okay if I fix that post so it looks fine in prosilver, too?

Since __jess has quoted me so the record is official, I will go ahead and edit.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:36 am UTC

for the record, that happened because my tags went something like this:
start quote, start spoiler, end quote, end spoiler
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:38 am UTC

Back to the game.
MasterOfAll wrote:

Definitely valid theories, it's a valid reason for lynching. I was just trying to say that I'd prefer to avoid it and have everybody be nice and active. I'd rather encourage everybody to post early on, without setting the example of lynching someone.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:25 am UTC

__jess wrote:Definitely valid theories, it's a valid reason for lynching. I was just trying to say that I'd prefer to avoid it and have everybody be nice and active. I'd rather encourage everybody to post early on, without setting the example of lynching someone.

I will have to respectfully agree with everything you have said. It would be nice if it were impossible to employ this strategy due to a lack of lurkers.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:43 am UTC

__jess wrote:Who's played before?

Well I've played in real life - but that's pretty much just "I could hear the person next to me moving!" and not much strategy, and once online a few years ago in another forum. I was just vanilla town.

Sorry I haven't been on much -internet wasn't working last night :(

So yes...definately have to agree that lynching the first person to claim town isn't very good, because I mean I know we're newbies and all but I don't think the mafia would come out and be the first to claim town. Seems a little obvious.

Yeah the whole lynch the lurkers thing has always sounded pretty good, are there any lurkers in this game so far? I'm out for the day today but I should have the internet when I get home.
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

Rufaellie
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Postby Rufaellie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 am UTC

I've just been informed of the situation and see no infraction of rules.

Carry on.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Fifi wrote:Yeah the whole lynch the lurkers thing has always sounded pretty good, are there any lurkers in this game so far? I'm out for the day today but I should have the internet when I get home.
It's kind of odd that you read this page without realising you were the one mentioned for being quiet. Least vocal people in the game so far are you, greycloud and matthias. But we've just started, I don't think any of you are really lurking just yet.

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

__jess wrote:
Fifi wrote:Yeah the whole lynch the lurkers thing has always sounded pretty good, are there any lurkers in this game so far? I'm out for the day today but I should have the internet when I get home.
It's kind of odd that you read this page without realising you were the one mentioned for being quiet. Least vocal people in the game so far are you, greycloud and matthias. But we've just started, I don't think any of you are really lurking just yet.

I'm just quiet because I needed sleep. Wonderful, wonderful sleep.

Anyway, about the game. I'm really quite lost about people to vote for. Everyone seems so... unscummy. I wouldn't vote for lurkers yet, as this needs time to get through all of the different time-zones.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Matthias still has no real input, given the lack of data. This is a shame, really. He therefore decides to list his thoughts on everyone; perhaps this will lead somewhere.

MasterOfAll: Appears rather analytical, a trait robots appreciate.
__jess: Another analyst. See above.
sje46: Makes jokes. Says he's bad at Mafia. Uncertain.
greycloud: Claims town immediately. Accomodates other time zones. Uncertain.
Fifi: Lurks. Seems nice otherwise. Uncertain.
skeptical scientist: Lynch-happy. Vote-hopping. Post editing. Slightly scummy.
Matthias: Lurks. Speaks in the third person. Slightly scummy.
Wildcard: Is not actually playing. Doesn't seem to know that. Scummy.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

I'm so not lurking! I've posted at least.....three times. :)
Actually what timezones are you guys in? Mostly America I'm guessing? (I'm in Ireland btw)
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

Matthias lurks in Baghdad.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

I wish I could be more analytical. I will try . . .=/
America, Eastern time. But my schedule is all mixed up. More like it I'm on Beijing time (though I woke up at 11 today.)

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:I wish I could be more analytical. I will try . . .=/

How much analysis can you do if it's only the first day and we're only on page 2!?! :lol: (damn that smiley looks retarded...)

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Matthias wrote:Wildcard: Is not actually playing. Doesn't seem to know that. Scummy.

Good enough for me. Vote: Wildcard.

Too bad that does not actually help the town, so UNVOTE. (I'm getting good at that, since it is 2nd time this day. At some point I will have to cast a serious vote, though)

@Matthias: Getting back to your list, I agree that Skeptic's behavior is a bit erratic, but I think that may just be his nature, assuming he is just trying to get the game moving, since an actual game moves a lot slower than reading through the posts of past games. I was a bit disappointed to discover that the actual pace of these forum games is pretty slow (IRL or IRC go much faster, of course). But the slower pace does allow for more careful analysis, so that is nice, but since there is just not that much to analyze on day 1, I guess we might as well continue to get to know each other.

And the only other person you claimed was a bit scummy was yourself, so I will not even bother responding to that.

@Fifi: the info under my avatar is correct; I live in California.

@Ruf, the local representative of our new squirrel overlords:
1. Thanks for understanding about the editing thing. I would not have done it if Jess had not re-posted my message so that it was clear I was not changing anything.
2. Did you have any sort of time limit in mind for day 1?
3. Do you mind if we go a bit off-topic in this thread, just as a way to get to know each other (which could come in handy for calibrating our scum detectors)?
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Aw, Matthias thinks I'm scummy. :( I'm not sure what you meant by the post editing thing; afaik the only person to edit a post was Master, and the only thing he changed was the switch the [/quote] and [/spoiler] tags so it wouldn't break the boards.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

The Newbies Mini Get-to-know-you Questionnaire

Instructions: Replace answers as appropriate, add at least 1 new item, and post to the forum.

1. A/S/L = 35/M/Los Angeles
2. Occupation or Major = Engineer
3. Favorite food = Pizza
4. Favorite scent = Vanilla
5. =
6. =
7. =
8. =
9. =
10. =
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Matthias double-checks the thread, and realizes his mistake. He must have somehow correlated SS's name with MoA's behavior. How very unlike him. He makes minor modifications to his list.

MasterOfAll: Analytical. Edits posts. Uncertain.
skeptical scientist: Lynch-happy. Vote-hopping. Slightly scummy.
Matthias: Speaks in third person. Misappropriates blame. Slightly scummy.

Matthias apologizes for the inconvenience.

Non-Edit: Matthias notes the appearance of a questionnaire ninja in the midst. He decides to play along.

1. A/S/L = 23/M/Baghdad
2. Occupation or Major = Tank mechanic. Dabbles in writing.
3. Favorite food = Really good salad.
4. Favorite scent = WD-40
5. New year's resolution(s) = Go skydiving. Hit up Anthrocon.
6. =
7. =
8. =
9. =
10. =

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

1. A/S/L = 19/M/New Hampshire
2. Occupation or Major = Majoring in Psychology
3. Favorite food = whatever I'm hungry for right now. So maybe ribs then?
4. Favorite scent = . . . I've always liked how women's perfume smells like. So that.
5. = New year's resolution(s) =Make more friends, be in a relationship
6. = Thing you hate that everyone else loves: The Breakfast Club. Ech.
7. =
8. =
9. =
10. =

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

1. A/S/L = 16/F/Ireland
2. Occupation or Major = Still at school...but want to go into neuroscience
3. Favorite food = Lemon Tart
4. Favorite scent = Cinnamon
5. New year's resolution(s) = Keep up my grades, be more social
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = Obsessing over fashions (I wish our school had a uniform...)
8. Favourite music genre = Jazz/Classical
9. =
10. =

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Fifi, what happened to number 7?

1. A/S/L = 25/M/Chicago
2. Occupation or Major = Graduate student in mathematics
3. Favorite food = I was tempted to echo the "really good salad" comment, but instead I think I'll go with shish kebab (also lamb kebab and chicken kebab).
4. Favorite scent = Garlic
5. New year's resolution(s) = Play more DDR for exercise
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = Clothing with clothing company names/logos (e.g. shirts that say Abercrombie and Fitch)
7. Favorite music genre = Folk Rock (e.g. Jonathan Coulton, Great Big Sea)
8. Favorite xkcd comic = Nerd Sniping
9. =
10. =

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Fifi, what happened to number 7?

:oops:

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

I'm assuming when the questionnaire is finished, all of the early posters are going to come back and fill in the ones they missed?

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

1. A/S/L = 18/F/England
2. Occupation or Major = University student in mathematics <- hey, I didn't have to change that answer! :P
3. Favorite food = Um... Pringles?
4. Favorite scent = Burning matches
5. New year's resolution(s) = Be more sociable
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = Roleplaying
7. Favorite music genre = Indie (Keane, The Killers, Athelete, Snow Patrol...)
8. Favorite xkcd comic = Useless - http://xkcd.com/55/
9. What is your (other) favourite website? - :oops: neopets...
10. =

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Wow, that was a fast response to the questionnaire.

I think we can officially declare that we no longer have lurkers. Now I will have to base my day 1 lynch decision on scent analysis.

Including the items I missed (Let's reserve #10 for Jess):

1. A/S/L = 35/M/Los Angeles
2. Occupation or Major = Engineer
3. Favorite food = Pizza
4. Favorite scent = Vanilla
5. New year's resolution(s) = Full rehab of ruptured Achilles' tendon
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = stupid (but somehow popular) reality shows and game shows (ie. American Idol, Deal or No Deal)
7. Favorite music genre = 90's alternative (e.g. Nirvana, Pearl Jam)
8. Favorite xkcd comic = Collecting Double-Takes
9. What is your (other) favourite website?= wikipedia (I can waste hours and hours following links, aka wikiwandering)
10. =
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Ooh, a quiz? How intriguing.

1. A/S/L = 18/F/Australia - I'm on AEST, it's 9.30am here at the moment, so forgive me if I'm quiet while the rest of you are active.
2. Occupation or Major = Photographer. Or, photography student pretending she is a photographer.
3. Favorite food = Garlic bread. Yum.
4. Favorite scent = Coffee and home.
5. New year's resolution(s) = I don't make them. But if I did, probably to go skydiving again or hang-gliding.
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = Quizzes. I'm kidding. Um, fireworks. They're, uh, not actually that good.
7. Favorite music genre = A whole lot of stuff. I corner the market on teenage indie/folk/rock/funk/jazz/blues/electronica obsession.
8. Favorite xkcd comic = Not my favourite but it's pretty awesome.
9. What is your (other) favourite website?= Tvtropes. Or the stumble tool. Or wikipedia.
10.Mafia role? Town. :D
10. Ideal holiday Camping, hiking, lots of swimming and outdoorsy things. Bonus points if it's somewhere remote and inhospitable.

Return to “Mafia”