March Of The Newbies Mini - The Mafia Victorious

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Now that everone's had a chance to add a question, I'm going to go back and answer the ones I missed, and everyone else should do the same. :)

9. What is your (other) favourite website? = I guess I'm going to have to go with Wikipedia. It's just so mind-bogglingly useful.
10. Ideal holiday = Whistler ski vacation
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Rufaellie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:00 pm UTC
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Rufaellie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

1. A/S/L = Get/Back/To the Game
2. Occupation or Major = Modwhoistryingtogetthegamegoingagain
3. Favorite food = Popcorn, but only if I'm watching you guys get back to the game.
4. Favorite scent = The smell of lynched players in the morning, you know so you have to get back to the game.
5. New year's resolution(s) = This year I will get these newbs to stop making silly qiuzzes and get back to the game.
6. Thing you hate that everyone else loves = Quizzes. Not getting back to the game.
7. Favorite music genre = The sound of a game going.
8. Favorite xkcd comic = The one, I can't remember which, so I can't find the url, but the newbies get back to the game.
9. What is your (other) favourite website? = This thread, with the game going.
10.Mafia role = Mod getting the (you guessd it) game going again.
10. Ideal holiday = I'd take a holiday if this bloody game would get going again.

In all seriousness do stay on topic, and if you finish the game then I will personally fill out this quiz for reals at the end. Day 1 may be hard but keep at it.

Carry on.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

My #10,
10. Ideal holiday = Anywhere with sandy beach + clear, warm ocean + surfable waves + perfect weather. Although there are a lot of close seconds. The kind Jess posted is something I have done quite a bit of, and always enjoy it.

Also, I re-read the 1st post, and Ruf states that there will be no time limits. Interesting.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

10. Ideal holiday = anything with my bf, preferably.

OK, back on target.

I have a suspicion that MasterOfAll is scum... I don't have a lot of reasoning, my only suspicion coming from a post in the first page saying 'us townies'. For some reason it stuck in my mind as being forced. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Vote: MasterOfAll

If nothing else, it'll make good conversation.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:12 am UTC

I just reread the rules, in particular this section
TOWNIES
The townies have no power besides the power of deduction. The Townie wants to rid the town of the mafia scum. Every day the townie can vote for one person by posting Vote:Person x (note that this must be bolded) if you later decide to switch your vote, you do so by typing UNVOTE vote:person y (note again that this must be bolded). Townies do not know who anyone else are.

and just now noticed the difference between x and y. So in case I wasn't entirely clear, when I said "UNVOTE vote: greycloud", I meant that I was unvoting my vote for greycloud (which was the only vote I had made), and not intending to vote for anyone else instead. In the future, I'll just write UNVOTE x to avoid confusion.

Matthias, is this what you meant by vote hopping? If so, chalk it up to my noobishness, since I have only voted one person (and that was just to get conversation going), who I have now unvoted.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:33 am UTC

greycloud wrote:I have a suspicion that MasterOfAll is scum... I don't have a lot of reasoning, my only suspicion coming from a post in the first page saying 'us townies'. For some reason it stuck in my mind as being forced. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Vote: MasterOfAll

If nothing else, it'll make good conversation.

Well, it didn't strike me that way at all. It's day 1, so we have to lynch someone, and don't really have much to go on. He did propose the quiz, which was kind of a waste of time (in that the quiz-related posts will probably be useless for analysis later on). But he had a somewhat plausible reason for that: it lets us compare how people post when they are talking normally with how they post when they are playing the game, which may help suss out the people who are constantly lying through their teeth, or pretending to be helpful without actually being helpful. Also, if it were up to me, I'd rather vote someone who has been less vocal than MasterOfAll.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Matthias voices agreement with the skeptical one, and requests for somebody to start lurking again so they might be lynched with no overly harsh feelings.

Matthias is not fond of first days. Fnord.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Hmmm, greycloud must be referring to this post from early on in the game:
Spoiler:
MasterOfAll wrote:First of all,

UNVOTE

Since I cast my vote before day 1 had even started, I don't think it really counted, and I just wanted to see how Sje would react to such an early vote against him.

So, since there are only 7 of us, I think we can assume with 99% certainty that there are 2 scum to hunt down (if there were 3 scum, we would already be at a lynch or lose situation, and starting with only 1 scum would be almost as bizarre).

Again, since there is no doctor (Ruf stated that cop is the only special role), the cop will be at risk if (s)he roleclaims, so I recommend the cop should try to avoid roleclaiming (if the cop can subtly sway opinion without roleclaiming, this is the best) unless 1 scum is already lynched and 2nd scum is found.

Obviously, if a lynching party starts gaining momentum with the cop as a target, (s)he will be tempted to roleclaim as a last resort, but only do this if things get really desperate, and then be sure to share results of all investigations (regardless of result), so even if the cop is nightkilled, us townies will at least have some solid info of who is/isn't scum.

Also, it should not be too surprising if we end up in a lynch or lose situation (3 townies and both scum left) on day 2. If that happens, don't panic, but it would be great to lynch scum on day 1 and get the odds in our favor. So scum, please do something stupid and give yourselves away.

Ummm, I don't get her accusation at all. I thought this was pretty decent analysis of what we should do to have best chance of winning. I'm not sure why my use of the word "townies" should mean anything at all. What term would you prefer, greycloud?

So, instead of trying to defend myself against a baseless claim, I will instead supply some additional analysis of the game permutations, again going with assumption that there are 2 scum, 1 cop, and 4 vanilla townies. (dammit, I said it again!) Analysis coming up in a bit.

Oh, and for the record, if it makes you feel better to hear me say it, I am town-aligned.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:25 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Oh, and for the record, if it makes you feel better to hear me say it, I am town-aligned.

It doesn't. It's not like you were going to come out as mafia. But then I didn't particularly suspect you before, and it doesn't make me suspect you any more. Since everyone is going to claim pro-town alignment, it almost seems silly to even ask.

I think we can be pretty certain of 2 mafia, as that's the standard for vanilla newbie games of this size. That means (assuming we have a 2/7 chance of picking mafia on day 1, which seems likely) that we have a high chance of being in lylo (lynch or lose) tomorrow. I have no idea what we do if that happens, but hopefully the events of the night and morning (i.e. finding out who is nightkilled, and what the lynchee's role was) will shed some light.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:06 am UTC

If lynchee was picked randomly (of course, we hope we can do better than random chance by using our brains instead of n-sided dice), there would be a 1/7 chance we lynched the cop, 4/7 chance we lynched a vanilla townie, and 2/7 chance we lynched scum.

Killing the cop would be very bad, because it is our only power role, but at least it is least likely to happen. Also, since my this is based on random pick rather, I am going to lump the cop in with the other townies for the rest of this analysis.
Lynching a townie is bad because we do not outnumber the scum by much in this game, so we cannot afford to make more than 1 mistake (lynch 1st townie = LyLo. lynch 2nd townie = game over).
Lynching scum on day 1 is of course very good, as the game then becomes 4 vs. 1 on day 2, and our odds then improve significantly, as we then get 2 tries to lynch the 1 scum --> 1/5 + 3/4 * 1/3 = 9/20 = 45% of winning if scum is lynched day 1.

But back to what happens 5/7 of the time if we just picked randomly: we inadvertently lynch a town member. Night comes and the scum kill one more of us.
Day 2 starts 3 vs. 2 (LyLo), and there is 3/5 chance that scum win game on day 2 (the only way game will end day 2 instead of day 3, odds are 5/7 * 3/5 = 3/7 chance) and only a 2/5 chance that scum is lynched and the game then continues.
If we do lynch scum to continue the game, day 3 would then start 2 vs. 1, and the odds are again against us, with 1/3 chance of winning by lynching the scum --> 2/5 * 1/3 = 2/15 = 13.3% chance of winning if cop/townie is lynched day 1.

So putting them together, overall odds of town victory, assuming random lynching, are 2/7 * 9/20 + 5/7 * 2/15 = 9/70 + 2/21 = 47/210 = 22.3%, which is not very good.

Now, since I know that I am not scum, and if I can convince everyone to not vote for me day 1, the odds improve since there is then a 1/3 chance we kill scum on day 1.

And of course, paying attention to how people are acting and who voted for lynchee on day 1 should help us to have a much better chance of winning than these numbers indicate.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:44 am UTC

MasterOfAll (redacted) wrote:Also, since my this is based on random pick rather, I am going to lump the cop in with the other townies for the rest of this analysis.

1/5 + 3/4 * 1/3 = 9/20 = 45% of winning if scum is lynched day 1.

So putting them together, overall odds of town victory, assuming random lynching, are 2/7 * 9/20 + 5/7 * 2/15 = 9/70 + 2/21 = 47/210 = 22.3%, which is not very good.


Fix by replacing with:

Also, since my this is based on random pick rather, I am going to lump the cop in with the other townies for the rest of this analysis.

1/5 + 3/4 4/5 * 1/3 = 9/20 8/15 = 45% 53.3% of winning if scum is lynched day 1.

So putting them together, overall odds of town victory, assuming random lynching, are 2/7 * 9/20 8/15 + 5/7 * 2/15 = 9/70 16/105 + 2/21 = 47/210 26/105 = 22.3% 24.8%, which is not very good.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

I like the analysis which is going on here. It's really interesting and thought-provoking, and I wish I had more to offer.

My theory, from above, as I said before was pretty groundless. Just, as you would say, "a hunch". I suppose if we all just went for things like this then we would be staring at MasterOfAll's statistics, which is great if you happen to be a mafia, but awful for townies (like me).

So, in other words, to win this we have to come up with some sort of plan to squeeze scummy factors out of them. I'm not prepared to have under a one in four chance of winning. D:

So....

Q. What would you be saying if you were mafia?

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Matthias would likely be saying the same things he is saying now: day one analysis amounts to speculation of neither consequence nor evidence. He imagines that, for a mafioso, speeding things along to day two would lead to fewer posts for the town to analyze. For a townie, he admits that speeding things along to day two is simply a matter of impatience.

He feels that the mafia's night actions are a greater source of evidence than percentages, however pleasing to the eye they may be.

He also wishes to offer an addendum to the speculation, but it would be better served by a flow chart than text. He will perhaps add this later.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

I honestly have no idea how I would be acting differently if I were mafia. Obviously you try to act as much like town as possible, so that town has no reason to suspect you, so I would try to act more-or-less as I have been. The only question is how successful I would be.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:I honestly have no idea how I would be acting differently if I were mafia. Obviously you try to act as much like town as possible, so that town has no reason to suspect you, so I would try to act more-or-less as I have been. The only question is how successful I would be.


Very true. I think I'd act differently, in ways blaringly obvious to me only. In all honesty, I don't think I'd've posted my first post claiming townie.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

greycloud wrote:Q. What would you be saying if you were mafia?


While I am in 3 games currently . . .
Spoiler for Anon:
Spoiler:
I am town.

Spoiler for S.S.:
Spoiler:
I am town.

This game: I am town

So, it is hard for me to speculate how I would be acting if I was scum, since the last time that happened would have to be in a meat-o-sphere game, but I have not played one of those for at least 15 years. (Yes, when most of you were still wearing diapers.)

But, I guess I would strive for the middle ground: not lurking too much, not standing out too much, not jumping on bandwagons too much, not trying to be too helpful to the town, etc.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
LL Cool J
___ and ___
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:19 am UTC

First page:
skeptical scientist wrote:Okay, that's everyone. We really don't have much to go on, this being day 1, and this is an open game, so we don't really have much to talk about other than who to lynch. So...

vote: greycloud

...since he was the only one to claim town. :P

Third page:
skeptical scientist wrote:
greycloud wrote:I have a suspicion that MasterOfAll is scum... I don't have a lot of reasoning, my only suspicion coming from a post in the first page saying 'us townies'. For some reason it stuck in my mind as being forced. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Vote: MasterOfAll

If nothing else, it'll make good conversation.

Well, it didn't strike me that way at all. It's day 1, so we have to lynch someone, and don't really have much to go on. He did propose the quiz, which was kind of a waste of time (in that the quiz-related posts will probably be useless for analysis later on). But he had a somewhat plausible reason for that: it lets us compare how people post when they are talking normally with how they post when they are playing the game, which may help suss out the people who are constantly lying through their teeth, or pretending to be helpful without actually being helpful. Also, if it were up to me, I'd rather vote someone who has been less vocal than MasterOfAll.

Ok, so first skeptical scientist votes greycloud arbitrarily- because she claimed town. Then skep defends MasterOfAll against greycloud. It seems a little odd to vote greycloud and then argue when she uses the same tactic against someone else, no?
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 am UTC

There's a big difference between voting and lynching. I didn't suggest that greycloud shouldn't vote people to get day 1 discussion moving; I just don't think that I want MasterOfAll to be our day 1 lynch, since he seems to be rather helpful so far.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

Well, I'm not sure. I mostly did it to encourage discussion, and I voted so early so that I'd have plenty of time to change it. I'm sticking to the vote, but it's not set in stone...


.... yet.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

So, yesterday/last night I got to play my first games in IRC-land, and even modded a game at the end of the night when I was getting really tired. Jess and sje could let you know how I did as a mod, since they were both involved. In fact, why don't I just post the whole thing here, so you all can read if you are interested. Warning, it will take some time to read all the way through, and my copy-paste caused all the nice formatting to go away, but I suppose you can always just scan it for interesting details. Also, it was a PyP game, where I decided what people were based on the Rolename they PM'd me.
Spoiler:
The Players:
Kells
Bulvox
Frogman
Cf
Korora
SN, had to leave in middle of game, gets replaced by OOTD (whose early comments are as spectator/overlord)
MaJ
sje

Alignments, Role Names, & Role Descriptions revealed by me at end of game.

So, picking up slightly into day 1 . . .
[22:38] *Master* sits back down and hopes he didn't miss anything important
<crucialityfactor> why am i scum now?
<sje46> you didnt raise your hand
scum
<frogman> I'm playing from that ribbit thing, whatever it's called, so I don't think I'll be able to talk if I'm given voice.
<Bulvox> because you didn't raise your hand
mibbit
<sje46> i have mibbit
<Bulvox> I'm also playing from there
<sje46> i can talk
<frogman> Ah, yes. Mibbit, ribbit, same difference.
<Bulvox> not really....
[22:39] <crucialityfactor> i think frogman really is a frog
<frogman> lol...
I'm thinking like a frog, that's for sure.
<MichaelJess> Sorry, we got distracted by the fora.
[22:40] *MichaelJess* raise our hands belatedly.
<crucialityfactor> he's said ribbit three times already
<MichaelJess> *their
<Bulvox> bibbit
[22:41] <sje46> why "ours"
<frogman> I'm just going to ribbit from now on, seeing as I'm a frog!
ribbit
<korora> I'm just going to throw this out: Bulvox is Kellsbells
<Bulvox> Indeed I am
<MichaelJess> sje, we're two people, Michael and Jess.
<crucialityfactor> i knew it!
<Kellsbells> Does that make me Bulvox?
<OneOfTheDragon> Like Tigerlion
<korora> no
I don't know what you are
<OneOfTheDragon> There is a Tiger, and there is a lion.
<korora> Bulvox's rolename is Kellsbells :p
<Kellsbells> Ah hm.
<Bulvox> XD
<MichaelJess> ???
<sje46> why are you on the same computer
<Kellsbells> Haha, really?
[22:42] <sje46> i thought you wre one guy
<Bulvox> yeah
<korora> Really really
<Bulvox> it's true
<Kellsbells> That's pretty sad/funny.
<MichaelJess> Lynch Bulvox, he's trying to win.
:d
*:D
<frogman> No! How could he?
<Kellsbells> :D
<Bulvox> Indeed, how could I!!! This is an outrage!!!
<MichaelJess> sje46: Because we're in the same house and there is only one computer. Ergo, we're one person for the time being.
<Bulvox> I demand that you lynch me immediately!!!
XD
[22:43] <Kellsbells> So if I vote for Bulvox, do I lynch myself...
*MichaelJess* votes Bulvox
<MichaelJess> :D
<Bulvox> lawl, I did ask for it
<crucialityfactor> what is the vote count even?
<MichaelJess> korora, are you a rolecop?
<Master> working on vote count now
<korora> I
*Bulvox* demands a vote count
<korora> er
sort of
<frogman> day-rolecop. that would be awesome
[22:44] <MichaelJess> ?
<korora> I only get rolenames
<Bulvox> penis
<korora> so not really that helpful :/
<crucialityfactor> also...a list of players would be helpful
<MichaelJess> One-shot, or every day?
<korora> one-shot
<frogman> darn
[22:45] Oh well.
<Master> Day 1 votes:
Kells
Bulvox - Sn, MaJ, CF
Frogman
Cf - Bulvox
Korora
SN
MaJ -
sje
<frogman> Kells and Bulvox are the same person, but kells has no votes!
[22:46] <Kellsbells> It's not mutually exclusive
<Bulvox> I thought it would be funny XD
<Master> 5 needed to lynch
<MichaelJess> SN is supernova? S/he's being quiet.
<Bulvox> Quiet person is quiet...
[22:47] <korora> very quiet
<frogman> obvious bulvox is obvious
is that some sort of meme?
<Kellsbells> Repetitiveness is annoying.
<Bulvox> oblivious Bulvox is oblivious
<Kellsbells> Combo breaker?!
<Bulvox> XD
<frogman> annoying meme is annoying
<MichaelJess> Yes, yes it is.
<Bulvox> no, it's not a combo until at least 3 people do it
[22:48] <Kellsbells> Shush.
<Bulvox> Legos
<sje46> what is the meme
<supernovamaniac> legos!
<Kellsbells> You're the source of my problems here.
<sje46> long cat is looooooong
<crucialityfactor> <3 Thunder
<Bulvox> <3 Thunder
<frogman> So it follows that short cat is short?
<sje46> <3 thunder
<crucialityfactor> KICK FROGMAN!
<korora> no, short cat is sh
<MichaelJess> Ok so anyway...
<sje46> short cat is sht
<Kellsbells> Please stop.
[22:49] <Bulvox> XD look what I did
*Master* wonders what this has to do with game
<Kellsbells> Or I will call in a favor with OOTD and get you all kicked.
<sje46> sorry
<Bulvox> I created a monster
<sje46> sorry
<frogman> It was Bulvox's fault!
lynch him!
<crucialityfactor> i think kells wants us all kicked because then she would win
<Kellsbells> :p
<supernovamaniac> ouch this burns
alright back
<frogman> Unless she's Jester.
<crucialityfactor> she doesn't deny it!
<Kellsbells> Well, I am trying to win...
[22:50] <Bulvox> she's trying to win more than I am
<crucialityfactor> LOOK AT HER HEAD FULL OF EYEBALLS!
<supernovamaniac> as a jester?
<Kellsbells> Ah god now I'm doing memes.
Back to the game...
[22:51] Anyone...
<Bulvox> It's still totally CF who's Mafia
*Master* vote: progress
<Kellsbells> Vote count?
<crucialityfactor> I'm tired of your wild allegations Bulvox
<Bulvox> on me: 3
<frogman> Same as last I think
<korora> I think it's 3 bulvox, 1 cf
<Kellsbells> Fine
*Kellsbells* votes Bulvox for being a doppleganger
<Bulvox> I'm tired of my wild allegations too crucialityfactor
<Master> yeah, hasn't changed since last vote count
*korora* votes progress (i.e. bulvox)
[22:52] *Kellsbells* votes for change
<frogman> That's a lynch I think
<sje46> i dont understand why youre voting for bulvoz
<Bulvox> I'm sick and tired of being told what I'm sick and tired of
<Kellsbells> Oh hey, inauguration day is tomorrow. Neat.
*Master* that's 4 votes Bulvox, 1 vote CF
<frogman> No, it's Tuesday.
<Bulvox> that's five votes for me
<Kellsbells> Oh, right.
<Bulvox> korora voted for me
<Kellsbells> Well, lynch, regardless.
<sje46> why are you voting bulvox
<frogman> Progress
<supernovamaniac> lynch bulvox
<korora> uh, day 1
<Kellsbells> To move the game along.
[22:53] <Bulvox> because I'm totally derailing this game
*Master* @SN, please use the /me command and use word vote
<Kellsbells> And he impersonated me :p
<Bulvox> and having fun in the mean time
<MichaelJess> He asked us to.
<korora> day 1 is all about who has the most votes when we get sick of day 1
<sje46> i think hes a jester . . .. .
<Kellsbells> What korora said, really.
<Bulvox> There's a reason that I was voted least serious player
*Master* did I miss a vote, I have Sn, MaJ, CF, Kells
<korora> I voted bulvox too
[22:54] <MichaelJess> Korora.
<Kellsbells> You missed korora's.
Ninja'd.
<MichaelJess> at 17:51
<Bulvox> although I don't recall anyone ever voting for that category
*sje46* votes bulvox
<korora> [12:51am] • korora votes progress (i.e. bulvox)
*Bulvox* unvotes, votes bulvox
<Bulvox> It's unanimous
* frogman votes bulvox
<Bulvox> I died
<sje46> :(
im sorry
<Bulvox> XD don't worry
*Master* NIGHT
[22:55] <Bulvox> it was all in good fun
<frogman> *snore*
*Master* Bulvox has died, was Kellsbells, town
<Kellsbells> Aw.
<Bulvox> XD told you
<sje46> wait that was his role thing
[22:56] <korora> yeah
<frogman> I like how it looks like you called him "Master Bulvox"
<sje46> ithink bulvx has a crush on Kellsbells
<frogman> who wouldn't?
:D
<Kellsbells> D'awww.
[22:57] *sje46* crushes on kelly
brings flowers
*Bulvox* woo's/woes kellsbells
<frogman> past your curfew, sje46. It's night, remember?
<sje46> :(
*Kellsbells* is flattered, but back to the game?
<sje46> i live in sri lanka
<OneOfTheDragon> >.> You know, I declare this creepy.
NO MORE
=-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame +m by OneOfTheDragon
[22:58] =-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame +o Master by OneOfTheDragon
[23:00] =-= Master has changed the topic to “Playing: Kells, Frogman, Cf, Korora, SN, MaJ, sje”
[23:01] *Master* a pink hue can be seen over the horizon
[23:02] as day dawns, there are 2 discoveries made
*Master* 1. a note on Bulvox's body says: I'm sorry you died, but I will ALWAYS love you.
2. a fresh body is found. It is Kellsbells.
[23:03] She was Special Relativity (town)
<Master> Day 2, go!
[23:04] =-= Master has changed the topic to “Playing: Frogman, Cf, Korora, SN, MaJ, sje”
=-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame -m by OneOfTheDragon
<MichaelJess> Transformers, roll out!
<OneOfTheDragon> (that's why I gave you +o master)
<Kellsbells> :(
<sje46> day two yay!!
[23:05] <Bulvox> You think he knows how to do that?
<frogman> So, were kells and bulvox lovers? or kells was mafia kill'd? speculations?
*Master* Thanks OOTD, I hadn't noticed that you muted them.
[23:06] <supernovamaniac> back
<korora> I'm thinking it was probably a mafia thing
<sje46> oh wait
Kellsbells died?
:(
<MichaelJess> Yeah.
[23:07] <supernovamaniac> relativity, i think, can refer to sib
<frogman> It was sje46! He brought her a flower-bomb
*Master* brb
<crucialityfactor> haha
aren't you supposed to be ribbiting?
<frogman> Oh, sorry.
ribbit. heh heh
[23:08] <crucialityfactor> that's more like it
<MichaelJess> So when one dies the other suicides, or something?
<frogman> ribbit. That's right. ribbit
<supernovamaniac> guys
i have to go
<crucialityfactor> :/
<supernovamaniac> (i thought it was going to end earlier)
<frogman> ribbit. aww. ribbit
<supernovamaniac> so lynch me
or have me modkilled
[23:09] |<-- supernovamaniac has left irc.xkcd.com (Quit: Master sorry!)
<crucialityfactor> uhh
*Master* supernova has left, will OOTD step in?
<crucialityfactor> should we just lynch him?
<OneOfTheDragon> SURE
[23:10] Ahem.
Caps.
<frogman> hi ootd!
[23:12] <crucialityfactor> stirring game we have going...
*OneOfTheDragon* votes cf
<crucialityfactor> sigh...this again?
*sje46* contributes
* crucialityfactor votes ootd...omgus...blah blah blah
<MichaelJess> contributes?
[23:13] <frogman> I'm still alive.
*OneOfTheDragon* votes frogman
<OneOfTheDragon> I can't be lynched, so it's pointless.
<frogman> Don't you have to unvote first?
<OneOfTheDragon> Nope.
I'm that cool.
<frogman> Cool!
<OneOfTheDragon> Thanks.
*Master* ooh votes to keep track of
[23:14] * crucialityfactor unvotes
<crucialityfactor> i'm not that cool
<OneOfTheDragon> Yeah
<frogman> The Mafia isn't cool either!
*OneOfTheDragon* double votes cf
* frogman votes cf
*OneOfTheDragon* unvotes froggy
<crucialityfactor> :/
* frogman unvotes
[23:15] * crucialityfactor votes me
<crucialityfactor> just lynch me...i grow weary of this
<sje46> no
*OneOfTheDragon* daykills CF
<OneOfTheDragon> as you wish
<sje46> dont vote for him
*Master* syntax error, OOTD
<korora> ?
[23:16] <OneOfTheDragon> Daykill:CF
*Master* nope
*OneOfTheDragon* Daykill:CF
<OneOfTheDragon> Damn.
I'll get to it later.
<frogman> Do you even have a daykill?
<OneOfTheDragon> Yes.
<crucialityfactor> stop trying to daykill me!
<frogman> We'll just have to lynch you then.
<OneOfTheDragon> Yeah.
<sje46> wait you can daykill in this game
<korora> if it's part of your role
[23:17] *Master* I currently have no votes, not even OOTD voting CF
<korora> OOTD, are you killing CF or what?
[23:18] =-= Entropy is now known as Entropy_Away
*OneOfTheDragon* Vote:CF
<OneOfTheDragon> I've been truing
trying*
* crucialityfactor votes cf
<sje46> freudian slip?
[23:19] <frogman> Poor freud. I hope he's okay after his slip.
<crucialityfactor> boooooo!
*sje46* votes frogman
unvotes
*Master* two votes for CF
*OneOfTheDragon* Kill:CF
<sje46> why are we killing CF though?
<MichaelJess> ?
[23:20] <OneOfTheDragon> Why not?
<sje46> hes obviously not mafia
<Master> 4 votes needed for kill
<frogman> Because it's ootd
[23:21] *OneOfTheDragon* votes ootd
<sje46> CF is OOTD?
<OneOfTheDragon> for the lulz.
VOTE ME FOR PRESIDENT!
<sje46> >_<
<korora> didn't you claim unlynchability earlier?
<MichaelJess> Sje, why is CF obviously not mafia?
=-= Master has changed the topic to “Playing: Frogman, Cf, Korora, OOTD, MaJ, sje”
[23:22] *Master* is waiting for some progress to be made
<sje46> because hes not fighting back .. .
<frogman> The mod speaks!
*Master* 1 self-vote for CF, 1 self-vote for OOTD
[23:23] * frogman votes cf
unvotes
<MichaelJess> Ok...
<--| Kellsbells has left #xkcdmafiagame
* crucialityfactor unvotes
*MichaelJess* votes OOTD, on account of craziness.
[23:24] *Master* 2 votes OOTD, no other votes
<crucialityfactor> what happened to korora?
<korora> I'm still here
<crucialityfactor> oh good
how are you?
<korora> good, and you?
<crucialityfactor> tired
want this game to get going
so
* crucialityfactor votes ootd
<korora> yeah, I'm getting burned out on this game
*korora* votes ootd
[23:25] <frogman> is that lynch?
<OneOfTheDragon> Nope.
<korora> believe so
<Master> that's 4 votes OOTD
<OneOfTheDragon> I already said I can't be lynched.
=-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame +m by Master
*Master* Day 2 ends.
[23:26] a mob formed, intent on lynching OOTD, but got distracted by some killer tunes coming from somewhere, and lost interest
<Master> Night 2, PM your actions
[23:28] *Master* and dawn is quickly approaching
[23:29] OOTD dies!
<Master> A Guitar Hero Master - is town
*Master* Daytime, go
=-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame -m by Master
[23:30] * crucialityfactor votes cf
<korora> change topic?
=-= Master has changed the topic to “Playing: Frogman, Cf, Korora, MaJ, sje”
<sje46> its getting intense
<frogman> ootd might have known something, eh?
<MichaelJess> Hey, know what else is intense? Camping.
<frogman> about cf?
<MichaelJess> Is this lylo?
[23:31] <crucialityfactor> camping is fucking intense
<MichaelJess> We haven't lynched mafia yet.
*Master* refuses to tell players when it is or isn't LYLO
<sje46> so only ootd died
<MichaelJess> Camping is fucking outdoors, or so I've heard.
[23:32] *Master* 1 vote for CF (self)
<korora> we started with 8, so only 1 mafia would be a little small
[23:33] <frogman> My suspicion is that ootd for some reason or another tryed to get cf lynched yesterday.
He was pro-town.
<korora> I think it's safe to assume there are 2 mafia and it's lylo
<crucialityfactor> i wanted him to get me lynched
and he gave up
:/
<korora> on that note: MaJ is Kellsbells Fan! and CF is I'm a street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
[23:34] for what it's worth
<sje46> lylo?
<korora> lynch or lose
<sje46> oh
<korora> we have to lynch scum
<frogman> Korora, I have a cop too and can vouch for that.
<crucialityfactor> kells is popular
<frogman> I can also tell you that CF is scum.
<MichaelJess> 'heart full of napalm' sounds like some kind of bomb.
*MichaelJess* votes CF
[23:35] *Master* wants game to speed up a notch
<crucialityfactor> i'm a ticking time bomb
tick tock
tick tock
* frogman votes cf
*Master* 3 votes for CF
<korora> who else have you copped, froggie?
*sje46* votes cf
* crucialityfactor unvotes
<frogman> it was a one-timer
*Master* 5 votes for CF
<crucialityfactor> awww
too late
<Master> 5 votes
done
[23:36] =-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame +m by Master
*Master* a mob formed, with CF as a target
it quickly got out of control
some idiot brought a bomb to the lynching,
*Master* it goes off, killing sje
the mob disperses, forgetting about CF
<Master> Nightime, PM actions
*Master* sje is Wide Receiver - is town
[23:40] =-= Mode #xkcdmafiagame -m by Master
*Master* GAME OVER - SCUM WIN!
[23:41] <frogman> Good game!
<MichaelJess> :D
<korora> who was scum?
<sje46> i lost twenty dollars and my self respect :(
<crucialityfactor> maj and I
<Master> Overall winner: MaJ, for both winning as scum and lyncher
<Bulvox> shit...I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect
<crucialityfactor> I'm kinda confused still...
<frogman> MaJ was my supsicion.
[23:42] <Master> 2nd place: CF, for winning as scum
<korora> yeah, I was a little suspect of MaJ when he interrogated me about my role
but then I forgot about it overnight :/
<--| Bulvox has left #xkcdmafiagame
<Master> 3rd place: Korora, for surviving the last night to endgame
<sje46> so why did you kill me
[23:43] <Master> go ahead and post your roles, everybody
<crucialityfactor> Master Cf is I'm a street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm - is mafia, can pick a target each night for napalm bomb, if that person is hammer for your lynch, they die instead of you.
sje, you died because i chose you
<MichaelJess> MaJ is Kellsbells Fan! - is mafia, and obsessed fan of a certain person, gets extra point if that person is lynched
<Master> @sje46, because CF correctly predicted you as hammer.
* frogman is Lord of the Frogs - is town, if successfully ribbits 3 posts in a row with nobody questioning why, gains night investigation
<korora> Korora altoids - is town, provides fresh breath air by revealing role name of target (day action)
[23:44] <sje46> im a hammer?
<Master> Since you had double vote, there were 4 needed to lynch
<sje46> how did you knwo that
im stupid
i cant do math
<Master> Your vote counted as #4 and #5
<MichaelJess> What was your role, sje?
<sje46> well isnt it very obvious whenever i vote that im the hammer?
[23:45] hammer
i guess
<Master> The last night action was totally unnecessary, but I just wanted to see who MaJ and CF left alive
<frogman> Can we get dead peoples' roles?
<sje46> oh
<Master> @sje46, hammer is whoever casts the final vote for lynch
[23:46] <sje46> oh sorry
<Master> All roles:
Kells is Special Relativity - is town, can bend space and time to prevent a night kill. (night action)
Bulvox is Kellsbells - is town, unfortunately, there is an obsessed fan trying to lynch you. You do have power to make 1 public announcement through me each day and another each night.
Frogman is Lord of the Frogs - is town, if successfully ribbits 3 posts in a row with nobody questioning why, gains night investigation
Cf is I'm a street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm - is mafia, can pick a target each night for napalm bomb, if that person is hammer for your lynch, they die instead of you.
Korora altoids - is town, provides fresh breath of air by revealing role name of target (day action)
Supernova is A Guitar Hero Master - is town, plays video game guitar well, distracts any day action targeting you
MaJ is Kellsbells Fan! - is mafia, and obsessed fan of a certain person, gets extra point if that person is lynched
sje is Wide Receiver - is town, vote counts double for lynching
<sje46> m the wide receiver guy
haha frogman
[23:47] <frogman> Darn cf had to mess it up the first day
:D
<sje46> haha
*Master* Korora totally helped Maj by revealing that Bulvox's role was Kellsbells
<korora> :/
[23:48] <frogman> Well that was fun, thanks Master
<MichaelJess> Yeah, that was the luckiest thing ever.
<Master> thanks for playing, frogman, and everyone
<frogman> Good night everyone!
[23:49] <MichaelJess> Night
[23:50] <sje46> bye :)

I should point out that it was total coincidence (as far as I know) that there was a "Kellsbells" rolename and a "Kellsbells Fan!" rolename sent to me, but I just *had* to turn that into a lyncher/lynchee pair.

Also, I did edit this slightly to fix a couple of my own typos, remove people entering or leaving, and also to fix the vote count reports for that final lynch where I had been ninja'd twice, since it makes more sense for later reading now.


Also, as a player, I did get to be scum (actually cult leader, and yes, I LIKE to be scum, and am always disappointed when I'm not) in one of the games, but it was a bit unbalanced in my favor and I won without even trying (there were 6 players, the game started on a night so I got to recruit right away, the town failed to lynch either me or my fresh recruit, and then failed to roleblock on night 2, ending the game when I was able to recruit 3rd member to give us half the votes). I actually went with being an aggressive player (even cast the deciding vote, aka hammer, on day 1), but it did not matter, since there was only 1 day in the game.

OK, so now you all have more info on me, sje, and Jess and the games we have participated in.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

I also played a game last night, which can be found in the irc thread. However, I don't really think it's worth the effort to dig through other games we've played in order to do a lot of metagaming.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Fifi
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:21 pm UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Fifi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Okay so this has been going on for days and we haven't reached night yet! Mod - can we only have night when we've lynched someone? How many votes are needed for a lynch?
Greycloud seems kinda suspicious...I don't know, just a general feeling with no real evidence.
Ummm generally a sign of being mafia is posting a lot to avoid suspicion for being a lurker. Maybe sje46? What do you guys think?
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Fifi wrote:Okay so this has been going on for days and we haven't reached night yet! Mod - can we only have night when we've lynched someone? How many votes are needed for a lynch?
Greycloud seems kinda suspicious...I don't know, just a general feeling with no real evidence.
Ummm generally a sign of being mafia is posting a lot to avoid suspicion for being a lurker. Maybe sje46? What do you guys think?


But then that could also just be a sign of wanting to get the game moving, which you said you wanted.
I guess a mafia's role is to not bring attention to his- or her-self. This means getting the right balance between posting and lurking, so you barely even notice they're there. The only person I've seen doing anything along those lines is Jess, but I'm not sure if that's scummy or not.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

We do need to vote for someone for it to be night. Depending on the mod, we could probably also get to night by voting no lynch, but that's a bad idea: if you do an analysis along the same lines as Master's above analysis, our chance of winning drops significantly if we vote no lynch (from 23% to 8%, by my calculations). The only time it is ever advantageous to vote no lynch is when the total number of players in the game is even, which should never happen in this game. Or, of course, if you are not town-aligned.

I don't have a particular feeling about sje being suspicious. But then, I don't have a particular feeling about anyone being suspicious, yet, and we do need to lynch someone. Since sje's contributory posts have been negligible, I would not have a problem with lynching him in the absence of real suspects. But right now I'm waiting to see if someone else advances a better argument.

But then that could also just be a sign of wanting to get the game moving, which you said you wanted.
What do you mean? Are you referring to sje's non-contributory posts? If a post contributes little, it doesn't get the game moving; in fact, it distracts from it. The perfect example would be Master's "quiz".
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Rufaellie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:00 pm UTC
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Rufaellie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Fifi wrote:Okay so this has been going on for days and we haven't reached night yet! Mod - can we only have night when we've lynched someone? How many votes are needed for a lynch?


Night occurs when a vote is reached to lynch a player or to lynch no one. 4 votes to lynch. Votals:

greycloud
MasterOfAll 1 (greycloud)
Fifi
sje46
Matthias
__jess
skeptical scientist
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
But then that could also just be a sign of wanting to get the game moving, which you said you wanted.
What do you mean? Are you referring to sje's non-contributory posts? If a post contributes little, it doesn't get the game moving; in fact, it distracts from it. The perfect example would be Master's "quiz".


True, I suppose. I forgot that the majority of his posts weren't really all too helpful. I guess it's still better then sitting in silence.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

vote: sje46
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
LL Cool J
___ and ___
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Meta-gaming surely isn't that much help. IRC mafia is completely different to fora games.
So what're your reasons for voting sje, skep? I'm not convinced, but then it's day one and something has to happen sooner or later.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

User avatar
LL Cool J
___ and ___
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

EBWOP: Ack, you gave your reasons, sorry. I should know better than to post as soon as I wake up. Let me try that again.

Fifi wrote:Okay so this has been going on for days and we haven't reached night yet! Mod - can we only have night when we've lynched someone? How many votes are needed for a lynch?
Greycloud seems kinda suspicious...I don't know, just a general feeling with no real evidence.
Ummm generally a sign of being mafia is posting a lot to avoid suspicion for being a lurker. Maybe sje46? What do you guys think?

Sje hasn't posted a lot. Nothing on this page, and not a lot before it, as skep pointed out. Even though you're leaning towards voting him for different reasons, the fact that he hasn't posted a lot is convincing me. Quiet on Day One gives us much less information to look back at later on, and an active game is a good game.
Vote: sje46
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:56 am UTC

OK, first of all, it wasn't an effing quiz, it was "The Newbies Mini Get-to-know-you Questionnaire". Calling my finely crafted creation a "quiz" grates on my nerves the same way that calling this fine game of Mafia we are playing "Werewolves" would.

Incidentally, if you want to fill out endless numbers of quizzes, quiztron is a site run by a good friend of mine. I have spent exactly zero time on that site, but since my friend is something of an elite web ninja, I am sure it is a quality production.

Back to the issue at hand. Since I do not want this day 1 to go on forever, I am willing to vote for Sje. But, I will wait until he has had a chance to defend himself first. I honestly don't think Sje is scum, but I could be reading him completely wrong, so . . . I will wait to see what happens before casting my vote.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

I agree. I don't think Sje46 is scum, but he at least needs some chance to speak out.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby sje46 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Thank you greycloud.
Check my recent posts, and you'll see that I just got back to college from vacation, and haven't been posting in any mafia games at all lately, except for that IRC game which I was a bit hesitant to play in (Mastr was a good mod by the way).
The last few days have been full of packing, moving, and the first day of work and classes. Also, the keyboard in my room is being a little dysfunctional (the shift key is stuck).
Anyway,
Spoiler:
7. Favorite music genre = classic rock. Beatle, Rollingstones, etc
8. Favorite xkcd comic = I like the James Bond one the best, although I do like a lot.
9. What is your (other) favourite website? = Wiki, 4chan, maybe Achewood
10.Mafia role = townie
10. Ideal holiday = Talk Like A Pirate Day ARGGG

So all this, plus the fact I basically have no confidence in the game, is why I have very little contributory posts.
So let me do some thinking. Jeez. I'll post back in a few hours, after the inauguation and when I get my GD keyboard fixed.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Although there are no time limits in this game, I *would* like for day 1 to end at some point so we can get more data for our decisions, and then this game can actually end at some point.

So, I will cast my vote for somebody approximately 24 hours from now, and right now I am still leaning towards Sje. Maybe there will be some more discussion before then, or maybe you will all vote before that point and a lynch will already have occurred, but you now know what I am planning to do.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
greycloud
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby greycloud » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Well, as I said before I honestly don't think that sje is scum. I do have suspicions, possibly more so then my suspicion for Master, but since none of them have any more ground then my useless attempt at justifying my last one, I'm going to keep them to myself.

Also, because these are all just intuition from me, I'm not going to change my vote. Chances are my indervidual vote won't matter all too much anyway.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby sje46 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Okay . . .I have to stop putting this off. I'm going to go back and do a write up of everyperson here. I'll try to finish within the hour. I won't do a good job, since I'm terrible at this game.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 am UTC

Okay Sje, I am waiting to see what you post.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:27 am UTC

Okay, I am going to cast my vote now, for the only player to jump on the lynch sje bandwagon.

Vote: __jess
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 am UTC

Whoops, didn't mean to post here. Sorry.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
LL Cool J
___ and ___
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:31 am UTC

Fair enough, though I'd rather not be lynched, considering that I am voting for sje46 based on the same ideas that you and skeptical outlined-
(a) That a no-lynch is a Bad Idea.
(b) That lynching players with low-content posts is a solid tactic, as you stated a few pages ago:
Spoiler:
MasterOfAll wrote:If we can't find anything else to base our vote on, lynching the lurker is still a good strategy (even in a vanilla game with only 7 players) because
1. The lurker may, in fact, be scum.
2. We encourage each other to post more which makes for a more interesting game.
3. We will also have more postings upon which to base future decisions since our policy encourages discussion and we get rid of non-contributor.

I know I am not stating any novel theories here, but that does not mean they are not valid.
Also, this is hardly a bandwagon. Three pages, multiple posts and a whole lot of thought went into it. I wasn't trying to blend in with the majority, given that the majority can't make up their minds. Voting for me just because I happen to have thought about and agreed with the arguments presented by several other players (including yourself) seems tenuous.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

User avatar
Rufaellie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:00 pm UTC
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Re: March Of The Newbies Mini

Postby Rufaellie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 am UTC

Ahem:

One of the players, dear Fifi, will not be able to continue the game. Problems with her internet access. Asmodieus has first claim, but if he does not want to then we are looking for a replacement.

That is all.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests