Mini: Whistling In the Dark--Day Two

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Matthias

Mini: Whistling In the Dark--Day Two

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Flavorlicious Intro
In what can only be described as a military-industrial compound of unkown provenance, fourteen strangers awaken in fourteen rooms surrounding a central lobby area, strange mechanical collars locked securely around their neck, with no idea how they got there. After a period spent trying to get a handle on their situation, longer for some than others, they find themselves meeting in the lobby. Once all have arrived, bulkhead doors close the lobby off from the fourteen bedrooms, and a digitized voice blares out from a speaker in the ceiling.

"Greeting, test subjects one through fourteen, and welcome to Social Experiment code-number 319. On the tables in front of you, you will each find a personal digital assistant which will aid you in the experiment. In your PDA you will find a message informing you of your team affiliation. Success in this experiment entails the termination of all test subjects not affiliated with your team.

Terminations will be decided by majority vote. During the 'day phase,' each test subject will be allowed one vote. During the 'night phase,' test subjects will remain in their assigned quarters and the lobby area will be flooded with a deadly neurotoxin. During this 'night phase,' test subjects affiliated with Team B--code-named "Mafia"--will be allowed a second termination attempt. Test subjects affiliate with Team A--code-named "Townies"--will be allowed to protect one person from this additional termination, also determined by majority vote. Other actions may also take place at night, as determined by relative factions sizes. Discussion of these additional actions will result in safety protocols disengaging, and possibly test subject termination. As this would be detrimental to the experiment, test subjects are discouraged from such actions.

Day Phase One will begin once all test subjects have retrieved their PDAs. Good luck!"

The gist of it from the discussion thread (With one a few important changes.)
Spoiler:
Before the game starts, each player PMs me to tell which side they would prefer to be on. The catch is, you won't know who else is on your team--this means that Mafia will probably not be talking strategy at night. Players may receive PMs from any other players during the night, but may only send PMs to one other player. You may pick a different player each night. Send me a copy of all PMs, for my own amusement and one other reason. There will be no day actions other than lynching, but each side will be assigned night actions based on how many people it has--a smaller side will have more actions to balance things out. Mafia will start with a minimum of one night-kill, and the town will start with a minimum of one protection. The town's possible actions will be made public; the Mafia's will not. To prevent a faction from going "oh hey, the other team has more actions than us; everybody claim, we must be bigger than them," the town's protection and the mafia's night-kill are the only publicly known night actions. You are not allowed to discuss your faction's additional actions in the thread.
Also take note: it is possible for your faction to have only one action and still be smaller than the other.
Additional note: There is something I specifically did not prohibit in these rules. One player already figured it out. It confers no game-breaking benefit, so don't stress too much over it. All will be revealed once the game is over.

During the night, each player will PM me with votes for the targets of each of their faction's actions (haha rhyming). You cannot vote to target yourself with any action. Victory goes to the last team standing, not to the majority vote.

Test Subjects
1. Azrael001 (This sounds different enough to be interesting.)
2. Vieto <insert witty comment here>
3. Master (I was waiting for some of the other minis I was in to wrap up. Now looking forward to Matthias as a mod.)
4. crucialityfactor
5.There-is-no-spoon Killed N1- Town
6. Silknor (also known as there-is-no-spork)
7. MartinW (Please protect me the first night. I always get killed by everyone.)
8. michaelandjimi
9. Bulvox (Still least serious player)
10. Wildcard (*whistles* BONK! Ow.)
11.CntRational (It is still dark. You are eaten by a grue, again) Lynched D1- Town
12. Tigerlion
13. Sungura (if I can squeeze in)
14. Kellsbells (nick of time)

Stuff you mostly should know already
Spoiler:
Written by Vox Imperatoris, edited by pretty much everbody.

Hello everyone!
Mafia, also known as Werewolf (to infidels, we shall not speak of them), is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small village of innocent people group of test subjects, but hidden among them is a group of nasty mafiosos, whose sole goal is to have at least 50% of the population belong to their organization so that they can control the lynch-votes kill everybody else. Since they cannot recruit people (probably), the only way to achieve this is bloody murder, but not more than one per night (probably). The rest of the town uses their deductive abilities, along with some special roles night actions, to find these infiltrators and lynch them.

To Vote: You must bold it, if you don't and I miss it, not our fault! It should also be on a separate line such as:
Vote: Matthias

If you want to change a vote, do it in this manner:
Unvote: Matthias
Vote: Hal 9000

Night—when everything else happens:
People who are not regular townies send in their votes for night actions, discuss among themselves (mafia, cult), etc.

Rules:
1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.(Well, there is that whole "discussion thread" thing...)
3. Please stay on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers risk MODKILL (Or lynching. Mostly just lynching)
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis. (*grabbing popcorn* is okay, just don't be too disruptive.)
6. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the thread AT ALL please do not post anything of content in the thread. *sleeps* posts, etc, I don't care.
7. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
8. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
9. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.

Some special rules for this game:
1) During the night phase, you may PM each other, with a couple of caveats. First: you can receive messages from any number of people, but you can only send messages to one person per night (you can pick a different person each night if you like). Second: send me a copy of all PMs for my own amusement. And possibly other reasons.
2) There CAN be night talking in the thread...you may see questions posted and such, feel free to discuss/answer them - but DO NOT talk about the game itself in night phase.
3) You can faction-claim in the thread if you like, but discussing your faction's actions in the thread (apart from the protection and, if you're feeling bold, night-kill) is strictly prohibited.
Last edited by Matthias on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm UTC, edited 7 times in total.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

There-is-no-spoon

Re: Mini: Whistling In the Dark--Test Subjects, Please Confirm.

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

Confirm.

The night PM could be interesting as one may receive PM's from more than one player, but can only respond to one of the players.....hmm.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Ima here...do you want my faction preferation?

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

I'm here as well. Will we get our chosen fraction's abilities by pm?

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Confirming.

I might be missing something TINS, but I think you're never allowed to PM another player (esp since you don't know who is on your team!).
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Confirmed.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Silknor wrote:Confirming.

I might be missing something TINS, but I think you're never allowed to PM another player (esp since you don't know who is on your team!).

In second the spoiler on the first page. (special rules for this game)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Uh...I'm here...I got no role confirmation...but if it was just us PM'ing in which alignment we wanted I'm good to go.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

"Confirm" probably wasn't the right word. It will shortly read "Choose your Factions." My bad.
There-is-no-spoon wrote:
Silknor wrote:Confirming.

In second the spoiler on the first page. (special rules for this game)
It is now in both spoilers so it can't be missed (probably).
MartinW wrote:I'm here as well. Will we get our chosen fraction's abilities by pm?
Yes. This will happen after everyone sends in their faction preferences, so I can determine which abilities are unlocked for each faction.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

MartinW

Re: Mini: Whistling In the Dark--Subjects, Pick Your Factions.

Postby MartinW » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Yes. This will happen after everyone sends in their faction preferences, so I can determine which abilities are unlocked for each faction.

Thanks.

Also, I may lurk a bit for the first day if the game starts tomorrow as I will probably be busy.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

My bad, I always skip the spoiler with Vox's original rules. Makes more sense now.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Confirming.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Conforming.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Also...only 1 person a night? :(

So much for my idea of asking everyone to be my friend...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:So much for my idea of asking everyone to be my friend...
I'll be your friend!
*starts singing*
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
And I'll help you carry on
*forgets the rest of the chorus and gives up singing*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 am UTC

guess I'll pm amy tonight.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Okay, my alignment preference has been sent via PM. Now I will go back a read the rules.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Can this start yet please? Or are we still waiting on the big radio star?

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

Still waiting on Kells and Cnt. I will mod-poke them after I post this. If I don't receive word back in 36 hours, I'll determine their alignment via coin-flip. Probably.

Also: Once I receive word from everybody, I'll send out night-action information and Day One will begin immediately. I see no need for a second confirmation.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Team Information has been sent. Day One begins now.

MartinW

Re: Mini: Whistling In the Dark--Day One

Postby MartinW » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

All right people. Let's get started. As usual random voting is rather pointless so let's discuss strategy.

I think the mafia will be very indecisive. The won't know whether a suspicious person is on their side or not so they'll probably hold back. I say we watch out for people who are quick to post [and so not lurking], but slow on action.

I would also like to discuss who to protect. In a word, me. Please. For the last few games I played I always get killed by every non-town fraction.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

This game will be different from other Mafia games. The things which we normally use to catch newbie-mafioso, like protecting each other and working together, will not happen because the Mafia does not know who their partners are.

We will have to think new and lateral here. Has anyone played a mafia game before where the Mafia did not know who the other members are? (I have not)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Closest I have played is one where the mafia rotates every night. So you do know who the mafia are when you are mafia, but you don't know them the next day. (See: Nebu's Nth game, which while it stopped here on the forum, we did play out a full game on the IRC the first night he was back).

I almost wonder if this will be more meta-gameish...like "who would want to be mafia" or "who prefers town" so on and so forth.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

I'm assuming Amy would choose Town. ;)

Also, thinking about possible roles. For town it seems that the Cop would be most powerful. If one were to exist, he/she would basically be able to confirm people through investigations and slowly be able to spread information to other confirmed townies. Basically it seems like in this setup he/she would be looking to find townies rather than scum.

Probably the biggest thing to watch for in this game are people's attempts to reach out to their various factions. I feel like there will be a lot of powers to allow for this, because this game seems almost impossible to play with everyone being completely blind.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

@Cruciality: Why would you assume Amy will chose Town? I see on her trophy "Most Town", perhaps she wanted to try Mafia this time?

Also remember, she was very keen to communicate with you in the night, what would that mean, just to jest?

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Well mainly she's been very vocal in hatred of being mafia. So unless she's been putting a huge front on in our outside of game interactions I would find it very unlikely that she would choose to be mafia.

And really...who WOULDN'T want to get in contact with me? I'm fucking awesome.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

While Amy may hate being mafia, she would know that we know that she hates being mafia. The question is: Would she count on us knowing that she knows that we know that she hates being mafia?

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Shall we just lynch her first to find out for sure? ;)

/JOKE

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

I still think speculation will just bring us more speculation.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

ROFTL at this game so far.

WIFOMIFOYIFOMIFOY to infinity and beyond!

crucialityfactor wrote:And really...who WOULDN'T want to get in contact with me? I'm fucking awesome.
This morning the IRC topic was still CF + Amy from last night :oops:

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Given that the Mafia get a kill each night (n-1/n chance of working), whereas the Townies only get a protect (1/n chance of working), it seems almost guaranteed that the townies will have/get more power roles.

What I will find interesting is which side people will pretend to be on. This all depends on which side they reckon has the majority of people.

I reckon that there is probably a Mafia majority, as on IRC I've heard people say they enjoy being Mafia more often than I've heard the same about being town. But that's just a guess.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:01 am UTC

FoS at MaJ, because his post makes me think that he is not on the same team as me. But I have not convinced myself yet if it is wise for me to be open about which team I am on. I have to think some more about this game.

But yeah, if I was a betting man (and I am), I would bet heavily on Amy choosing to be town.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:33 am UTC

I think there is a reasonable chance that, until the mafia unite (possibly into 1 or 2 groups), they might accidentally kill themselves.

just a shot in the dark.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 am UTC

pretty much.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Okay, the percentages for an NK are (Fraction of Townies/Everyone)(n-1/n) and the percentages for a protect are (Fraction of Townies/Everyone)(1/n).

Vieto wrote:I think there is a reasonable chance that, until the mafia unite (possibly into 1 or 2 groups), they might accidentally kill themselves.
It's going to be difficult for the Mafia to do that, as even PM's you might not be able to trust.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:41 am UTC

The role of Mafia members is not that much different than that of the Town.

Both do not know who the other team members are.
All the players have the same ability to discuss strategy overnight.

I think what makes the Mafia members different from us, is that they need to somehow show each other their alignment to avoid being night killed. I do not think the night PM would be enough because they can only probe one other player per night, so it will have to happen in the forum during day time. We should look out for that.

Also, as this role of Mafia is very different than that of the "normal" Mafia, we cannot assume that if a player hates being Mafia he/she would also hate being Mafia in this game.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I think TinS has a point, in that just because someone may not like a role, they may or may not want to try out the role again, so we should not do too much in the way of metagaming in that sense.

We should, on the otherhand, keep track of who is a terrible mafia/townie, and keep an eye on them.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:06 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:FoS at MaJ, because his post makes me think that he is not on the same team as me. But I have not convinced myself yet if it is wise for me to be open about which team I am on.

Interesting thought, why be secretive about which team you're on? A side claim is as usual pretty pointless so why bother not making one? I think you're mafia and also that you think the mafia are in the majority. So your considering that, maybe, the mafia should all roleclaim and so give them an edge over town because then they'd control the lynching as well.

I also think we should not make any judgements based on the night actions. Both sides only have one side's information. 20 actions for each side would indicate a balanced number of players. But 30 actions mafia 20 town would indicate a large number of town players. But in both cases the town has the same amount of night actions. (I exaggerated the figures but the gist of the idea is the same)

FoS at MaJ, because his post makes me think that he is not on the same team as me.

Also, Maj's post gives the feeling that he's town.
What I will find interesting is which side people will pretend to be on. This all depends on which side they reckon has the majority of people.

Here he is talking about whether the mafia are in a majority and will claim. But it looks to me like he is doing it from a town side perspective. I'm probably reading to much in both posts; but at least it's somewhere to start.

FOS: MasterOfAll

EDIT: Clarified and extended my post.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Er... Apologies everyone. I forgot editing of posts isn't allowed. It seems I'm a bit rusty. :oops:

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am UTC

I don't see a "last edited by" section on your post. That is interesting. Does that section only show up when you attach your signature?

Edit: Nope. Apparently not. So as far as I can tell, no editing occurred.
Last edited by Matthias on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:18 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Mafia”