In what can only be described as a military-industrial compound of unkown provenance, fourteen strangers awaken in fourteen rooms surrounding a central lobby area, strange mechanical collars locked securely around their neck, with no idea how they got there. After a period spent trying to get a handle on their situation, longer for some than others, they find themselves meeting in the lobby. Once all have arrived, bulkhead doors close the lobby off from the fourteen bedrooms, and a digitized voice blares out from a speaker in the ceiling.
"Greeting, test subjects one through fourteen, and welcome to Social Experiment code-number 319. On the tables in front of you, you will each find a personal digital assistant which will aid you in the experiment. In your PDA you will find a message informing you of your team affiliation. Success in this experiment entails the termination of all test subjects not affiliated with your team.
Terminations will be decided by majority vote. During the 'day phase,' each test subject will be allowed one vote. During the 'night phase,' test subjects will remain in their assigned quarters and the lobby area will be flooded with a deadly neurotoxin. During this 'night phase,' test subjects affiliated with Team B--code-named "Mafia"--will be allowed a second termination attempt. Test subjects affiliate with Team A--code-named "Townies"--will be allowed to protect one person from this additional termination, also determined by majority vote. Other actions may also take place at night, as determined by relative factions sizes. Discussion of these additional actions will result in safety protocols disengaging, and possibly test subject termination. As this would be detrimental to the experiment, test subjects are discouraged from such actions.
Day Phase One will begin once all test subjects have retrieved their PDAs. Good luck!"
The gist of it from the discussion thread (With
Also take note: it is possible for your faction to have only one action and still be smaller than the other.
Additional note: There is something I specifically did not prohibit in these rules. One player already figured it out. It confers no game-breaking benefit, so don't stress too much over it. All will be revealed once the game is over.
During the night, each player will PM me with votes for the targets of each of their faction's actions (haha rhyming). You cannot vote to target yourself with any action. Victory goes to the last team standing, not to the majority vote.
1. Azrael001 (This sounds different enough to be interesting.)
2. Vieto <insert witty comment here>
3. Master (I was waiting for some of the other minis I was in to wrap up. Now looking forward to Matthias as a mod.)
6. Silknor (also known as there-is-no-spork)
7. MartinW (Please protect me the first night. I always get killed by everyone.)
9. Bulvox (Still least serious player)
10. Wildcard (*whistles* BONK! Ow.)
13. Sungura (if I can squeeze in)
14. Kellsbells (nick of time)
Stuff you mostly should know already
Mafia, also known as Werewolf (to infidels, we shall not speak of them), is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small
To Vote: You must bold it, if you don't and I miss it, not our fault! It should also be on a separate line such as:
If you want to change a vote, do it in this manner:
Vote: Hal 9000
Night—when everything else happens:
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers risk MODKILL (Or lynching. Mostly just lynching)
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis. (*grabbing popcorn* is okay, just don't be too disruptive.)
6. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the thread AT ALL please do not post anything of content in the thread. *sleeps* posts, etc, I don't care.
7. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
8. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
9. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.
Some special rules for this game:
1) During the night phase, you may PM each other, with a couple of caveats. First: you can receive messages from any number of people, but you can only send messages to one person per night (you can pick a different person each night if you like). Second: send me a copy of all PMs for my own amusement. And possibly other reasons.
2) There CAN be night talking in the thread...you may see questions posted and such, feel free to discuss/answer them - but DO NOT talk about the game itself in night phase.
3) You can faction-claim in the thread if you like, but discussing your faction's actions in the thread (apart from the protection and, if you're feeling bold, night-kill) is strictly prohibited.