Large and in Charge: Mafia Round 7: MAFIA WIN!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Re: Mafia Round 7: Day 1

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Well in the first post of this thread you can find and answer.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Oh, by the way, whoever the cop is, PLEASE DON'T CLAIM, since although there is a doctor to protect you, scum have a roleblocker and a hit-man. Now, if you are about to be lynched, that is another matter. Or, maybe we will lynch the roleblocker and hit-man (or hit will be used up), then a FTC could work. Or, hopefully there will come a time when there are only a couple scum left AND you have found them, which really is just too much to hope for, but that would also be a really good time to claim.

@Mod - Is the traitor the only player who will not be fully identified, or does the same hold true for mafia inventor and mafia roleblocker?
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Fri May 22, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

It seems like people who rush lynches always have a reason. Az seems to want to shove blame to someone relatively quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if later into this game they accuse more people.
~steve

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

Vote: Dromtry for logical reasoning.unvote Ok, I've had my bit of fun. I'll get serious now.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri May 22, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:@Mod - Is the traitor the only player who will not be fully identified, or does the same hold true for mafia inventor and mafia roleblocker?

The traitor will not be fully identified. All other roles will be.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Dromtry wrote:It seems like people who rush lynches always have a reason. Az seems to want to shove blame to someone relatively quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if later into this game they accuse more people.

They always have a reason b/c everyone in this game has a reason for doing everything they do. You mean malicious reason.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Fri May 22, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:
Dromtry wrote:It seems like people who rush lynches always have a reason. Az seems to want to shove blame to someone relatively quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if later into this game they accuse more people.

They always have a reason b/c everyone in this game has a reason for doing everything they do. You mean malicious reason.

Yeah, I figured people would get what I meant. I'm not too suspicious of Az, but it is very early in the game to be voting to lynch someone with not a whole lot of evidence.

Vote: Bulvox for voting for me.

Unvote
~steve

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 23, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Az always does this, though. He very rarely FoS's.

Course, last time I saw him vote in his first (I think this was his first...I'm too lazy to go and check) post in a thread he was a jester. But I still see no reason to believe he's scum with just that.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat May 23, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Honestly, I don't think Martin is that suspicious. It's true that the last game played with a traitor, the traitor just revealed all the mafia and helped engineer a town win. But as has already been pointed out, the rules are much different this time. The fact that Martin wanted to use a successful strategy from last time doesn't mean he's mafia, I don't think. It just means he didn't know the extent to which the rules about the traitor have changed this time.

Same with Az. I'm pretty sure he always does this.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat May 23, 2009 4:20 am UTC

I don't think anything interesting is going to happen here on day 1, so I am going to go ahead and vote for someone who is a habitual lurker . . .

Vote: Mega
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat May 23, 2009 9:05 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Well in the first post of this thread you can find and answer.

cough.... I was just... umm... testing you? Really must read more carefully.... but there are so many words!

Lurker lynching eh? I'm not opposed to it, but I'll give everyone a little bit more time. Also lurking someone who is a habitual lurker isn't particulalry useful, because thats non-informative non-response. I don't mind doing it, because it helps games survives and if theres not a better candidate then it's got the same odds as anyone else. At the moment I think az or indeed MR are the most solid lynch candidates.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 am UTC

mister k wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:Well in the first post of this thread you can find and answer.

cough.... I was just... umm... testing you? Really must read more carefully.... but there are so many words!

Lurker lynching eh? I'm not opposed to it, but I'll give everyone a little bit more time. Also lurking someone who is a habitual lurker isn't particulalry useful, because thats non-informative non-response. I don't mind doing it, because it helps games survives and if theres not a better candidate then it's got the same odds as anyone else. At the moment I think az or indeed MR are the most solid lynch candidates.

actually with mega the odds are much higher of being scum

:p

Spoiler:

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 23, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:I don't think anything interesting is going to happen here on day 1, so I am going to go ahead and vote for someone who is a habitual lurker . . .

That's a pretty stupid way to start out.

Yes, day 1 can be tricky, but that doesn't mean we can't learn things from it, and immediately lynching lurkers is extremely silly.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat May 23, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:
MasterOfAll wrote:I don't think anything interesting is going to happen here on day 1, so I am going to go ahead and vote for someone who is a habitual lurker . . .

That's a pretty stupid way to start out.

Yes, day 1 can be tricky, but that doesn't mean we can't learn things from it, and immediately lynching lurkers is extremely silly.

Not such a stupid way, but we should try for other leads first before resorting to it yes.

Spoiler:

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sat May 23, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Well, if Az does that kind fo thing often, I put my suspicious finger back in my pocket.

I guess someone has to get the ball rolling, but it seemed so early to me.
~steve

bravewolf127

Postby bravewolf127 » Sat May 23, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

I find it kinda suspicions of master rahl to jump on a band wagon and then jump out of it. But that is just me so yeah.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

bravewolf127 wrote:I find it kinda suspicions of master rahl to jump on a band wagon and then jump out of it. But that is just me so yeah.

wait MR22 is IN this game?
Vote: MR22
completely avoiding my notice even when you somehow bandwagoned.
Unvote

Spoiler:

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat May 23, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

What? I'm so confused...

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat May 23, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

For future refernce. Do not ever vote for someone called "master". MasterOfAll can be shortened to MoA and Master_Rahl22 can be called Rahl, or MR22 like brook did, but neither can be shortened to master
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat May 23, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:For future refernce. Do not ever vote for someone called "master". MasterOfAll can be shortened to MoA and Master_Rahl22 can be called Rahl, or MR22 like brook did, but neither can be shortened to master

Yeah...you might just get modkilled.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Okay, I shall not be calling anyone Master from now on. :shock:

CF, your signature makes me giggle a little bit every time I see it. That may be partly because I seriously do not remember what winning strategy I was talking about.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat May 23, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Yeah, I was tempted to vote for MR22 just to get rid of the confusion. But, I figured that could wait for another day.

As for my vote on Mega, I figured it was time. If y'all want a long, drawn out day one, then go ahead and have one. I agree that the longer the day, the better chance that there will be something someone says that can be used later. The problem I have with that, though, is that I have become too lazy to ever go back and read through multiple pages of posts.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sat May 23, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Vote: MoA because he just admitted he isn't going to read through pages of text, which will make any moves he makes D2+ have very little basis.
~steve

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Alright, this exchange has been bothering me. Distilled to the important bits:

Master_Rahl22 wrote:Wow based on CF's clarifications on the traitor, I'd vote for Martin again if I wasn't already.

MartinW wrote:CF didn't clarify, he specifically uses the words "rule addition".

Entropy wrote:I'm willing to accept the possibility that Martin simply didn't think his idea through.

Master_Rahl22 wrote:Ok, you're right it was an addition and not a clarification. The idea was still bad, but it's less scummy than I thought at first.
Unvote

Rahl was convinced that Martin was scum, then doubly so when the rule addition was made, but all it took was Martin mentioning that it was an addition instead of a clarification and me mentioning that I wasn't convinced to completely change Rahl's mind. Martin's post and mine were the only posts to appear between Rahl's condemnation and his complete reversal. This makes it look like Rahl was overeager to find and promote a lynch candidate without actually having been convinced himself of that candidate's scumminess.

Vote: Master_Rahl22

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

I would agree with that entropy, I'm just not a fast voter. I did notice that myself and was just about to post about it and found you'd done my work for me!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Master_Rahl22

Postby Master_Rahl22 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

I honestly didn't expect that we would lynch MartinW right away, but that vote did two things. First, since I don't believe FOS have any meaning at all, it made it clear to everyone that I thought MartinW's idea was bad at best, and scummy at worst. Second, it clearly provided something to talk about on day 1.

Day 1's are generally spent role and flavor speculating in closed setups, or discussing whether or not to lurker lynch to start the day off. Since there's no need to speculate about roles and flavor in this game, we can see that we've already started talking about lurker lynches. I'm not opposed to lurker lynches in and of themselves, but when we've only had 1 1/2 pages of discussion when it comes up, then I get suspicious. When that person admits that he won't reread things, then I think we've found a better target than a lurker.

Vote: MoA

Ninja'd: Entropy, the reason I unvoted Martin was because I had actually interpreted the Traitor role exactly as the additional rules CF added make it. Thus I was thinking that he was merely clarifying what was already on page 1. When I went back and looked and realized that those two rules hadn't previously been there, it took Martin's idea a step back from scummy to just a bad idea or not clearly thought through like you said.
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

The book, not the stupid tv show.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Sat May 23, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

I don't really know about lynching Master... (looks around furtively ;-)) Rahl.

While he does seem somewhat suspicious, I am thinking he was just trying to get the game started and found me the most scummy player. His defence does also make sense to me.

I also don't really agree with lynching a lurker, that wouldn't really get the game started as such because [IMHO] we'd be at more or less the same point as D1 only with less townies. While we would then have a cop investigation I don't think it will have much of a dramatic effect D2 unless the cop is suicidal and claims.

I plan to take a good look at the game again sometime tonight or tomorrow. If I can't find anything much I'd re-evaluate lynching a lurker or MR22.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun May 24, 2009 12:15 am UTC

I am pretty against lynching lurkers as a general rule. But I don't really think MR22 has been that suspicious either. Maybe he has been a little aggressive, but I don't think it's because he's lynch-happy. His objections to Martin's idea were very reasonable, and it makes sense that if he thought cf was just clarifying the rules, not adding them, he would think Martin was even more suspicious. But he went back, saw that they were indeed rule additions, and took back his vote. None of that strikes me as particularly scummy.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sun May 24, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I believe Rahl.

His argument makes sense, and voting early day 1 is not scummy.

It generates conversation--lots of it. Even if the conversation doesn't turn up anything today it'll make for a lot more and a lot better analysis tomorrow, and tomorrow's what we're playing for. A FoS is a lot easier to ignore.

Bandwagoning day 1 is of course another story. But that's not what's happening.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Master does not ring any warning bells for me.

Rahl that is. :mrgreen:

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun May 24, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Yeah...so I don't think MR22 has really been suspicious at all. As for MoA: I think he's just lazy...:P

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

I should prob add up votes huh... I will do that after i get home, in like 1 hour

Master_Rahl22

Postby Master_Rahl22 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

It could very well be that MoA is just lazy, but then why doesn't he just join the IRC games which take much less time and effort to get his mafia fix? He says he doesn't want to reread things, and I propose we make it so he doesn't have to. :twisted: Seriously though, a townie's best weapon is re-reading and analysis and to give that up so readily makes me question his townieness.
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

The book, not the stupid tv show.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun May 24, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

EDIT: Sigh... I will be mod now i promise
Last edited by Gojoe on Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Gojoe what are you doing?!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun May 24, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

haha I saw that post.

He was posting thinking he was a player.

It was funny, I wasn't going to say anything.

:lol:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun May 24, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:He was posting thinking he was a player.
I almost did that in PB like five times. It's awesome.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun May 24, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:
Sungura wrote:He was posting thinking he was a player.
I almost did that in PB like five times. It's awesome.

I totally tried to use my history to get it back to quote it, but alas, I closed my browser which clears all that data. :(

Unfortunately, it was not pointing a finger at anyone. He was just saying (paraphrasing of course) that in all fairness to MoA he plays games by memory and doesn't go back to look at things, and if he does, he knows what he is looking for and goes to find the particular post.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun May 24, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Yes I know. It was like nearly 7am.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun May 24, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

See, the co-mod defended my laziness! That has to count for something.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Return to “Mafia”