Large and in Charge: Mafia Round 7: MAFIA WIN!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Re: Mafia Round 7: Day 1

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue May 26, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

EBWOP:
Sorry
Unvote
Vote: mega

still had a vote on MoA
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

GODDAMMIT and I just saw MR22's post
Unvote

waiting for the mod-prod.

MR22 trying to redirect a lynch from one lurker to another equal lurker is usually considered as scum trying to protect other scum (otherwise why bother changing from one to the other). Now, you could go on and on about how the mafia could have started it or picked the lurker, but in the end as we have no evidence of which one is scum.....there is no valid argument to pick one over the other.

Spoiler:

korora

Postby korora » Tue May 26, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

OK, I've reread the thread a couple times now and I'm getting a weird vibe from Amy. Something seems off about how she's playing this game. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to pin down my thoughts this evening.

(Also, sorry about the lurking... I really don't enjoy being a lurker!)
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue May 26, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

I'm not sure how I'm playing different...people have been saying that lately in the last three games I've played. I think my style is just developing as I feel more confident now, to be honest. I used to pussyfoot around and now I get an idea and run with it. Perhaps that is the difference you are noticing. I've also not played a full forum game since I was killed Princess Bride and Batmanfia. Both of which I was town. People in both those games thought funny of me, but I nailed scum anyway. Well, PB I was killed, but still. Just saying.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

You know what... she is being too confident, we must lynch her! :wink:

Master_Rahl22

Postby Master_Rahl22 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Brook, I understand what you're getting at, but I'm concerned that the first person/persons to pick Mega are the ones directing a lynch against a townie. I just went back and looked and MoA was the first person to vote Mega. Since I still don't like his explanation and still find him scummy, I'm even less inclined to have Mega be our lurker lynch target today. Personally I feel that MoA would make a better lynch than a lurker, but since he's the one that suggested Mega I'd settle for any lurker other than Mega, if that makes any sense.
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

The book, not the stupid tv show.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue May 26, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Whatever. Let's see how the modprods work and then go from there. The only reason I singled out Mega is because she is an habitual lurker, which means that she often gets more of a pass than other lurkers (and since she is a long time player here), which actually makes it more likely that she will survive to the later stages of the game, at which point we basically have to guess at her alignment.

But yeah, maybe she will even be modkilled in this game, and then I will be happy to vote for someone else.

And MR22, the last I checked, there are not any lyncher-lynchee pairs in this game, so what possible reason would I have for singling out Mega other than what I've explained?
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Sorry about the lack of content/posts; I'm still relatively new to this, and not so good at the post analysis side of the game, giving me little to go with day one.

If the general consensus is that lynching mega is a good idea, then I'm happy for that to happen. It does seem a little unfair that she is going to be lynched while tokol will get of freely (I imagine we will have a better target tomorrow, I may be wrong in this.) However, I'm willing to let the modprods do their work, and if they don't, a lynch/call for a modkill is a good idea.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Tue May 26, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:And MR22, the last I checked, there are not any lyncher-lynchee pairs in this game, so what possible reason would I have for singling out Mega other than what I've explained?

Master_Rahl22 wrote:I'm concerned that the first person/persons to pick Mega are the ones directing a lynch against a townie.

You are not being accused of being a lyncher, you are being accused of being scum and intentionally choosing a lurker you know is not scum (in other words, "I find MoA suspicious, so I am leery of letting him choose our target")

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

I'll work on poking those players when I get home...if you catch my drift :winky:

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Last game we lynched a lurker, we killed the cop.

I notice something about MoA, the other game I'm playing with him and this one, he's become a target quickly. This could be two things: he may be scum in both games or he could just be bad at being town. Not lynching him means either we let a mobster live, or we leave someone who can help conceal mafia by accident, because if we grow suspicious of MoA everyday, what scumtells are we missing from other people? We dissect what could be a plain old townie's posts while someone else is saying "HURP DURP I'M MAFIA!1" and we miss it.

FoS: MoA as Mafia Sympathizer

I am not changing my vote.

[I hope you guys understood me, I'm a bit pressed for time right now.]
~steve

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

EBWOP:

Mafia Supporter, not sympathizer, I'm silly
~steve

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue May 26, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Now that MR22 pointed that out, I am happy with lynching any other lurker besides Mega as well, as I too am suspicious of MoA (see my earlier vote). Also happy I withdrew my vote on Mega before that bandwagon went any further as my reason for bandwagoning that was that the day was stagnated and a lurker lynch on D1 isn't terrible. Now that we have discussion (and that mega seems suspicious to be lynched) I agree with holding off on the lynch-a-lurker. Especially given that MoA was the one who started that.

Spoiler:

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue May 26, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Dromtry wrote:I notice something about MoA, the other game I'm playing with him and this one, he's become a target quickly. This could be two things: he may be scum in both games or he could just be bad at being town.

Dromtry, pretty much I just suck at this game. Actually, I tend to either die very quickly or survive until the end of games.

But, yeah, it will be nice if Mega gets modkilled and ends up being scum, but my guess is that she will respond the the modprod, make a couple minor posts here, and we still won't know anything. But, since modprods are in process, I will . . .

Unvote: Mega
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Mega's last post was 5 days ago, so I'd be willing to bet she's just not been around this week and is not specifically trying to lurk (for once). I'd prefer not to lynch a lurker today. There's been enough conversation that I think lynching a lurker is a cop-out. Rereading time, I'll get something up by tomorrow at least. I have a presentation to prepare for tomorrow.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed May 27, 2009 12:52 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:Mega's last post was 5 days ago, so I'd be willing to bet she's just not been around this week and is not specifically trying to lurk (for once). I'd prefer not to lynch a lurker today. There's been enough conversation that I think lynching a lurker is a cop-out.
Pretty much this, especially with the incoming mod pokes (I just got one, oh dear). If everyone's getting poked, I think we should give it some time and see which lurkers drift into playing more actively. Ideally, the lurkers that don't resurface will be modkilled and save us all that trouble.

I haven't noticed all that much up with MoA, but that may be that I'm just used to him playing this way. He does kind of jump on things sometimes, and I'm accustomed to it. I am also notorious as hesitant to vote unless it seems necessary, so that is part of why I haven't. Regrettably nobody else has really pinged my scumdar either, so I'm going to just keep observing.

Also, my apologies for any inactivity, I'm getting around finals time and I'm admittedly freaking out a bit. So if I'm quiet (which isn't unusual for me anyway) that is why.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed May 27, 2009 1:28 am UTC

Really, guys...? I am generally against lynching lurkers, but in this case especially, the bandwagon against Mega seems very ill-thought-out and lazy. But I do hate lurkers...perhaps we can get replacements?
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed May 27, 2009 1:47 am UTC

hey guys, sorry for semi-lurking.

I don't think MoA is scum. He has been overall helpful in the game, as shown in his suggestion on how to get as much info out of the traitor as possible (now impossible, of course), and also suggested an optimal cop time. He was also worried about the roleblocker in that post, implying he either hadn't really paid attention to roleblocker falls (doctor blocks roleblock), and showing he, at least, wasn't the roleblocker or doctor.

On that note, I'm tempted to agree with Dromtry. Even with the meta-game logic, MoA may have been trying to rat out the traitor.

As for mega... yah, she doesn't post much. A replacement would be a good idea.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed May 27, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I guess I'm getting tired of giving lurkers a ride. Perhaps that is one reason people continue to do it.

I switch to Mega to 1) get things moving and 2) send a message. If she gets lynched, I am perfectly fine with that. If she is town, she's not going to help us anyway so we aren't loosing a thing. If she's mafia/anti-town, we're one down. At this point, this is my theory on all lurkers. Mega just seems the worst and although it's like her MO I am getting a bit sick of it.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 am UTC

Vieto wrote:hey guys, sorry for semi-lurking.

I don't think MoA is scum. He has been overall helpful in the game, as shown in his suggestion on how to get as much info out of the traitor as possible (now impossible, of course), and also suggested an optimal cop time. He was also worried about the roleblocker in that post, implying he either hadn't really paid attention to roleblocker falls (doctor blocks roleblock), and showing he, at least, wasn't the roleblocker or doctor.

On that note, I'm tempted to agree with Dromtry. Even with the meta-game logic, MoA may have been trying to rat out the traitor.

She just got replaced in music mafia
Sungura wrote:I guess I'm getting tired of giving lurkers a ride. Perhaps that is one reason people continue to do it.

I switch to Mega to 1) get things moving and 2) send a message. If she gets lynched, I am perfectly fine with that. If she is town, she's not going to help us anyway so we aren't loosing a thing. If she's mafia/anti-town, we're one down. At this point, this is my theory on all lurkers. Mega just seems the worst and although it's like her MO I am getting a bit sick of it.

Hear Here

Spoiler:

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Honestly, LtL is a completely viable strategy for the town, so I'm not sure why there is all this fuss over it. I think MoA picked a legit target of Mega as she does this all the time. Maybe he had ulterior motives, maybe not. We can deal with that later. He's talking and giving ideas, and that makes him more valuable at this point than a lurker. We can deal with him later if need be. Or maybe someone can cop him tonight if they are that concerned. (Do we have cops? I really should make a notebook page for this game).

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed May 27, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Honestly, LtL is a completely viable strategy for the town, so I'm not sure why there is all this fuss over it. I think MoA picked a legit target of Mega as she does this all the time. Maybe he had ulterior motives, maybe not. We can deal with that later. He's talking and giving ideas, and that makes him more valuable at this point than a lurker. We can deal with him later if need be. Or maybe someone can cop him tonight if they are that concerned. (Do we have cops? I really should make a notebook page for this game).

We have but ONE cop.

Spoiler:

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 am UTC

I'm kind of getting sick of Mega's lurking myself. Perhaps a day one lynch will wake her up.

For the good of us all:
Vote: Mega

Yes the lurker lynch is lazy. I don't care. I'm tired.

korora

Postby korora » Wed May 27, 2009 2:34 am UTC

The problem with LaL is that it gives scum a perfectly justified reason to lynch a townie, without anyone really being able to call them on it later. That's why it's better to lynch someone based on analysis.

I think what's pinging me about Amy is that she's posting a lot of short, low-content posts with almost no analysis. For someone who keeps a meticulous notebook of her suspicions, that seems a little weird and out of character to me. What it reminds me of most is Intrigue, when I had more or less unsubstantiated Amy-pings and she turned out to be scum. I didn't play Batmanfia, and I didn't find her suspicious in PB (because I was scum then).
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed May 27, 2009 2:54 am UTC

korora wrote:The problem with LaL is that it gives scum a perfectly justified reason to lynch a townie, without anyone really being able to call them on it later. That's why it's better to lynch someone based on analysis.

I think what's pinging me about Amy is that she's posting a lot of short, low-content posts with almost no analysis. For someone who keeps a meticulous notebook of her suspicions, that seems a little weird and out of character to me. What it reminds me of most is Intrigue, when I had more or less unsubstantiated Amy-pings and she turned out to be scum. I didn't play Batmanfia, and I didn't find her suspicious in PB (because I was scum then).

and then if we dont lynch lurkers scum only lurk.....I smell a vicious cycle starting to spin here.

*drinks wine in front of him, after adding iocane powder neutralizer*

Spoiler:

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 am UTC

Vieto wrote:I don't think MoA is scum. He has been overall helpful in the game, as shown in his suggestion on how to get as much info out of the traitor as possible (now impossible, of course), and also suggested an optimal cop time. He was also worried about the roleblocker in that post, implying he either hadn't really paid attention to roleblocker falls (doctor blocks roleblock), and showing he, at least, wasn't the roleblocker or doctor.

Point of interest: MoA was quite helpful at the beginning of the last game I played with him too. More helpful than normal. That game was Mini Vanilla, and he ended up being scum. Damning evidence? No, but it is making me take a second look at him again.

Brooklynxman wrote:and then if we dont lynch lurkers scum only lurk.....I smell a vicious cycle starting to spin here.

Lynching people who are lurking and active elsewhere on the fora is one thing. Lynching someone who hasn't posted anything at all in five days is stupidity. If she doesn't come back in a few days then that warrants a replacement, not a lynch. Lurkers are annoying, yes, but lynching lurkers because they're lurking when we have other alternatives is a waste.

Sungura wrote:Honestly, LtL is a completely viable strategy for the town, so I'm not sure why there is all this fuss over it.

Well, to start, it's no fun at all. The larger problem, though, is that it gets us very little information and lets scum easily suggest lynch targets. If scum are trying to get someone active lynched they need reasons, and generally pretty good reasons. On the other hand, it's trivially easy for the scum to pick a lurking townie and get them lynched.

korora wrote:OK, I've reread the thread a couple times now and I'm getting a weird vibe from Amy. Something seems off about how she's playing this game. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to pin down my thoughts this evening.

I think what's pinging me about Amy is that she's posting a lot of short, low-content posts with almost no analysis. For someone who keeps a meticulous notebook of her suspicions, that seems a little weird and out of character to me.

Yeah.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 am UTC

korora wrote:The problem with LaL is that it gives scum a perfectly justified reason to lynch a townie, without anyone really being able to call them on it later. That's why it's better to lynch someone based on analysis.

I have to agree. I've never liked lynching lurkers as a strategy because it feels like a complete waste of a lynch to me. The point of lynching is to gain information for the town, and lynching a random lurker, while making a point, I guess, just doesn't strike me as useful in terms of gaining information. Honestly, I'm fed up with Mega's lurking as well, but I don't think that should be dealt with within the game, by us. As players in this mafia game, we're supposed to try to obtain our respective win conditions, not dole out punishments for lurking, or set an example for other lurkers. I think the Mega problem should be dealt with by the mods, or outside the game or something.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 am UTC

I just reread what's been posted thus far and noticed this:
Sungura wrote:EBWOP: Also, this is a holiday weekend in the US - lots of folks are probably gone. Actually, I think it's a holiday weekend in the UK too. Yeah my calendar says something about it being Bank Holiday there. So most playerbase is gone most likely.

korora

Postby korora » Wed May 27, 2009 4:57 am UTC

I'm adding Brooklynxman to my scum shortlist. Here's his post history for reference, sans analysis:
Spoiler:
Brooklynxman wrote:I agree with everything the town does once the traitor is dead, and suggest we stop telling the mafia what to do about the traitor mid day 1 (before they can communicate in private and decide). We'll know what they decide when the traitor ends up dead. Honestly.
Brooklynxman wrote:
Entropy wrote:Given the latest rule clarification, I find it unlikely that the traitor will risk doing much but trying to blend in. As a result, I don't think that the traitor is as important to us as the knowledge that the traitor could still be alive. The hypothetical threat of the traitor seems more likely to do damage to the mafia than the traitor's actual actions, especially considering the godfather's ability.

I completely agree with you. SOrry for short post. But thats all I have to say. Paranoia amongst the enemy is a powerful weapon
Brooklynxman wrote:
Dromtry wrote:It seems like people who rush lynches always have a reason. Az seems to want to shove blame to someone relatively quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if later into this game they accuse more people.

They always have a reason b/c everyone in this game has a reason for doing everything they do. You mean malicious reason.
Brooklynxman wrote:
mister k wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:Well in the first post of this thread you can find and answer.

cough.... I was just... umm... testing you? Really must read more carefully.... but there are so many words!

Lurker lynching eh? I'm not opposed to it, but I'll give everyone a little bit more time. Also lurking someone who is a habitual lurker isn't particulalry useful, because thats non-informative non-response. I don't mind doing it, because it helps games survives and if theres not a better candidate then it's got the same odds as anyone else. At the moment I think az or indeed MR are the most solid lynch candidates.

actually with mega the odds are much higher of being scum

:p
Brooklynxman wrote:
b.i.o wrote:
MasterOfAll wrote:I don't think anything interesting is going to happen here on day 1, so I am going to go ahead and vote for someone who is a habitual lurker . . .

That's a pretty stupid way to start out.

Yes, day 1 can be tricky, but that doesn't mean we can't learn things from it, and immediately lynching lurkers is extremely silly.

Not such a stupid way, but we should try for other leads first before resorting to it yes.
Brooklynxman wrote:
bravewolf127 wrote:I find it kinda suspicions of master rahl to jump on a band wagon and then jump out of it. But that is just me so yeah.

wait MR22 is IN this game?
Vote: MR22
completely avoiding my notice even when you somehow bandwagoned.
Unvote
Brooklynxman wrote:
MasterOfAll wrote:See, the co-mod defended my laziness! That has to count for something.

no. Because he started it with "in all fairness".
Vote: MoA
Brooklynxman wrote:
mister k wrote:Hmm, MoA votes for lurk a lyncher when discussion is still going strong, and then wants day 1 to be short? The excuse strikes me as trying to be cutesy in one's defence. I'm ready to vote now I think.

vote:MoA

must......avoid.....trolling.....terrible....usage....mafia terms.....and bad grammar........resisting poorly
Brooklynxman wrote:For the sake of game progression and because you cant say much to defend a lurker
Brooklynxman wrote:EBWOP:
Sorry
Unvote
Vote: mega

still had a vote on MoA
Brooklynxman wrote:GODDAMMIT and I just saw MR22's post
Unvote

waiting for the mod-prod.

MR22 trying to redirect a lynch from one lurker to another equal lurker is usually considered as scum trying to protect other scum (otherwise why bother changing from one to the other). Now, you could go on and on about how the mafia could have started it or picked the lurker, but in the end as we have no evidence of which one is scum.....there is no valid argument to pick one over the other.
Brooklynxman wrote:Now that MR22 pointed that out, I am happy with lynching any other lurker besides Mega as well, as I too am suspicious of MoA (see my earlier vote). Also happy I withdrew my vote on Mega before that bandwagon went any further as my reason for bandwagoning that was that the day was stagnated and a lurker lynch on D1 isn't terrible. Now that we have discussion (and that mega seems suspicious to be lynched) I agree with holding off on the lynch-a-lurker. Especially given that MoA was the one who started that.
Brooklynxman wrote:
Vieto wrote:hey guys, sorry for semi-lurking.

She just got replaced in music mafia
Sungura wrote:I guess I'm getting tired of giving lurkers a ride. Perhaps that is one reason people continue to do it.

Hear Here
Brooklynxman wrote:
Sungura wrote:Honestly, LtL is a completely viable strategy for the town, so I'm not sure why there is all this fuss over it. I think MoA picked a legit target of Mega as she does this all the time. Maybe he had ulterior motives, maybe not. We can deal with that later. He's talking and giving ideas, and that makes him more valuable at this point than a lurker. We can deal with him later if need be. Or maybe someone can cop him tonight if they are that concerned. (Do we have cops? I really should make a notebook page for this game).

We have but ONE cop.
Brooklynxman wrote:

and then if we dont lynch lurkers scum only lurk.....I smell a vicious cycle starting to spin here.

*drinks wine in front of him, after adding iocane powder neutralizer*
Yes, he's been a prolific poster in this thread, something I can't exactly claim about myself. However, he has a pattern of making short, low-content posts, and consistently agreeing with whatever the trend in the thread is. When people are voting for Mega, he hops on, all gung ho with the LaL. Then, when Rahl dissents, he quickly shifts his opinion to match - to the point that he's angry that he didn't see the post soon enough to agree faster. The worst is when he says:
Now that MR22 pointed that out, I am happy with lynching any other lurker besides Mega as well, as I too am suspicious of MoA (see my earlier vote).
This strikes me as a particularly scummy line to use. The best thing a townie can do is voice their opinion and argue for their convictions. Agreeing with the popular opinion is a clear scum tactic. Also, his MoA vote was a no-reasoning bandwagon... and now he wants to take credit for voting for MoA, despite the fact that we still don't know if he's scum or not.

There are a couple other things in there too, like possibly trying to stifle discussion about the traitor, which is fairly ambiguous, but I'd lean toward more discussion always being better for the town. And since that was pre-rule-addition, and the discussion was actually focusing on how the traitor could be most helpful, that's another mark against Brook in my book.

My grain of salt here is that I pretty much always find Brook to be scummy, but on the other hand, he's ended up scum pretty often. I actually don't think I've played a game with him in which he was town.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed May 27, 2009 5:07 am UTC

*is on holiday*- it's UK half term. I'm luckily in a place with internet access.

I suppose what we need to do is distinguish between lurkers and people who are inactive.

People who just don't post at all in any games (as mega is at the moment) are inactive, and probably should be modkilled. Lynching them gives us more of a chace of hitting a townie, as it is essentially a random lynch, and there are more townies than scum.

People who post rarely and unhelpfully are actually actively lurking; they are making a conscious effort to slow the game down, withhold information and stay out of the limelight, thus making it explicitly scummy (with one or two exceptions).

Lynching Mega isn't lynching a lurker, it's lynching an inactive, which is why Une for example feels bad about it. I think it would make more sense to lynch people who have a low postcount, but are still in the game, if we are set on lynching a lurker. According to Rahl, that would probably be me, Kells, Bulvox, Vieto, Bravewolf, or Korora, as none of us have posted disclaimers. The last two probably count as inactive a little bit anyway. The list is a little out of date, but the warning probably flushed the mafia out of the bushes a little bit.

Addendum: (Got Ninja'd) You have a point, I suppose, but I think that might just be Brooklynx being Brooklynx. Perhaps if someone does a bit on in depth analysis, we'll see.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed May 27, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Sorry for not posting in a while, but I've been kinda busy. Last week I started college, and I was out all weekend with my friends. I'll look through the other pages later, but I don't think I'll be able to get through them all until Thursday, as I'm busy tomorrow with school and stuff. But you can expect me to post on Thursday.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Wed May 27, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Apologies for my recent lurkage. I expect to return to regular scheduled levels of participation after the weekend.

Here are my thoughts so far:
MartinW wrote:
Silknor wrote:What? Why would the mafia not want to get the traitor lynched?

Because then everybody would see he was the traitor and look back and see his attacks on mafia members. It's a bit like NK'ing a cop, his investigations all get confirmed. But unlike a cop the traitor has already done all his investigations at the start of the game and will reveal them by his behaviour. So unlike killing a cop the mafia doesn't reduce the investigation done, it just confirms them all. The mafia need to either kill him soon (before his attacks and analyses are enough to show who's mafia) or in the later game leave him alive and try to convince the town he's wrong (after he's left enough evidence, but can't claim and is so trying to influence the town indirectly).

Later in the game he could try to get himself lynched deliberately (think Jester). But even if he does the mafia still don't want to NK him as it'll basically be wasting a kill on someone that the town would kill anyway.

I personally think the traitor is going to be a big advantage for the town. If you look at the balance you see the mafia are crawling with powers while the town isn't. I think we may want to somehow hide the traitor by all acting like one (much attacking of players, I don't know), but last time I tried to hide a power role by getting everybody to be one it failed badly (Dr concon's zombie game).
More importantly, if the mafia traitor thinks the bandwagon against them is irreversible, they will simply drop some *very* blatant hints (although other mafia could pretend to do this too. Hmm). Still, the mafia would most likely prefer to kill the traitor at night.

Also, its obviously impossible for pro-town players to convince the mafia that they could be the traitor. So how exactly would acting scummy help in any circumstance, martin?

MoA wrote:I guess my thinking is that, no matter how subtle he tries to be, as soon as one scum throws another under the bus, the godfather is going to use his kill the player who acted like a traitor. At which point, it would be really nice if we then find out that there were other players the traitor had been suspicious of, and that becomes the short list for who is most likely scum.
That's textbook WIFOM. Still, the mafia are likely to be cautious, especially if they do not know the identity of the godfather (do we know whether this is the case?).

MoA wrote:Yeah, I was tempted to vote for MR22 just to get rid of the confusion.
I hope you are kidding :P

korora wrote:OK, I've reread the thread a couple times now and I'm getting a weird vibe from Amy. Something seems off about how she's playing this game. I have to go to work now, but I'll try to pin down my thoughts this evening.

(Also, sorry about the lurking... I really don't enjoy being a lurker!)
...now that you mention it, amy has indeed been acting more... covert? Also, I agree BLM appears odd; but I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Also. I'm not going to vote for mega. Its Day 1, we should be able to arrange a replacement. For all we know, she could be a pro-town power role.

I'll try and come up with a firmer opinion on potential scum by the weekend...
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Someone pointed out my lack of analysis - I haven't even had time to make a notebook page yet for this game. I'm going to do that now. Also, I've learned whenever I talk a lot day one I get lynched or night killed, unless the mafia is good and can play me. Which cf, IS, and cycoden tend to be able to do because I catch on then wifom my thoughts about them and get all confused. All three are great at doing that to me. Luckily IS isn't in this game, and cf is mod, so I don't have to worry about either of them.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed May 27, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

I am working on replacements right now. The people who have gotten back to me right now will be replaced first. Anyone I don't hear from and don't get a replacement for by the weekend will be modkilled.

Rest assured I am on your side with all this lurking crap. As someone said before it's not even lurking...it's just not playing altogether. It's annoying , it's rude, and worth of all it's unfair for all of you to have to deal with it.

I would say don't bother trying to lynch a "lurker" as they probably won't be around by the end of the (game) day.

And also I will be answering your 3rd question Silky, I just need to confer with Gojoe, and we appear to be on exactly the opposite sleep schedule right now.

tokol

Postby tokol » Wed May 27, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

*back from holiday trip* *stretches*

So, rereading the thread, I think we've discussed Mob Traitor strategy, lynching early voters, and lynching lurkers. Only the last seems to have any substance. Sadly, my untrained eye can't detect much scuminess from these fluff posts, I'll hop onto the LaL bandwagon until something actually happens or cf modsmites.

</languid>

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

What did I just say...honestly...

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

OK. It seems the lurking thing will resolve itself so: Unvote

I will try to analyse the entire lurking discussion sometime later today.

tokol

Postby tokol » Wed May 27, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

EBWOP: Ninja'd. Sorry cf

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

It starts...

Bravewolf127 has been replaced by dedalus.

Master_Rahl22

Postby Master_Rahl22 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

I completely agree with Rakysh that there's a difference between lynching lurkers and lynching inactive players. I'm also extremely glad that CF is replacing/modkilling inactives. I plan to go back over the thread today now that we have heard from more of our players, so for now I will

Unvote

although that vote may come back if my re-read convinces me that MoA is still scummy.

Ninja'd: Welcome dedalus
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours."

The book, not the stupid tv show.

Return to “Mafia”