cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Mafia "Win"!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 am UTC

Phoenix112358 wrote:What exactly makes me look 'very suspicious'? The no lynch thing? I expressed that I was looking from a merely numbers-point of view.

I meant more like 'suspicious at all' than 'really suspicious' basically if I made a scale of 1-10 of suspiciousness then everyone would be like a 2 or 3, and you and goose would be like 4 or 5. More suspicious than others, but not much.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Well, it's been almost 24 hours since somebody's posted, so I figured I need to do something to move the game along.

Vote: Angua
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

I'm curious, why me? Did you just pick at random or is there something else?

I am still suspicious of Gregoriev, so in order to also help the game along

Vote Gregoriev
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 am UTC

I picked you at random.

My intention was to pick somebody at random, vote for them, and then try to come up with reasons that they look scummy. I didn't intend to admit that it was random until there was a risk of there being a bandwagon -- whether it would be on them or on me.

But then I looked through your posts, and you look innocent as hell. I mean, uh... as heaven?
I think you get the point. You look too darn townie to me. I can't even think of a way of making this a discussion vote. I fail. So, so hard.

Unvote: Angua

That said... What about Grevoriev seems suspicious? I think it's kind of odd that you voted for him... especially right after "somebody" voted for you.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Stuff needs to happen, we've had three posts in the last day. We could always lynch a lurker, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for a Mini.
More people need to be talking.
I've looked through all the posts by people, and I haven't come up with anything new really...
Vote: Cellery
So far you've only had three posts, one confirming, one saying why you hadn't posted more, and one discussing things. You said you'd start posting on Saturday night, but you haven't, though we can hardly blame you for that, since we haven't had much posting at all. It seemed like your other post was just re-saying what had been said before, though there's only so many things that can be said about the topic... Just want to hear what you have to say about whats going on I suppose.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Vote Count:

Gregoriev- 1 (Angua)
Cellery- 1 (Flying_Cookie)

5 to lynch.

User avatar
Phoenix112358
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:29 am UTC

I'm not so sold on those lurker candidates to lynch; what about McCaber who has not posted a thing since confirming apart from "Wait, does that signify the Mafia are extremely impaired compared to normal, or is it just referring to the inexperienced playerbase?" during pregame phase.

At least the other people have at least made some posts.

Vote: McCaber

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:32 am UTC

Guys, you know who's really been the source of all our trouble? The one guy who, if it weren't for him, we could all live together peacefully? The one guy who's responsible for putting us in these situations to begin with?

Vote: crucialityfactor

Also, look. You know how scummy he's been. Plenty of posts, but not a single bit of content in any of them. Only vote counts and commands.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 am UTC

EBWOP: But actually, I do kind of like the "lynch the lurkers" idea. There's no way for the town to win if the game never moves ahead and if we don't get any information because nobody speaks. Lynching the lurkers should, hopefully, fix that.

So I'd vote for Cellery, but I hesitate to make that into a bandwagon.

I am so, so lost right now.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Phoenix112358
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:49 am UTC

I don't mean to be harsh but can you stop messing around? :/

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 am UTC

At the top of my list atm I put McCaber/Game_Boy for being very quiet (in newbie games silence tends to be a scumtell, and I generally don't like it when people don't participate) and Psycho Goose for muddying the waters.

If McCaber/Game_boy at some point turns up scum I really want to take a closer look at Phoenix due to it looking a bit like he's trying to draw attention away from him. However, at the moment there can be many different reasons for that and I don't like the idea of voting for active players this early in the game (unless they are muddying the waters like Psycho Goose).
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
Phoenix112358
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Me voting for McCaber means that if he's scum I'm drawing attention away from him? I'm confused.

Unless you mean draw attention away from myself? Forgive me, but I don't quite see the point in doing the opposite and painting a big red target on myself after everyone thinks I'm suspicious from expressing my opinion on the no-lynch and misinterpreting your lurker-vote-prodding.

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Ah, I've been muddying the waters? My apologies. Is there anything I can clear up for you?

Also: I'm not sure that Phoenix has been trying to draw attention away from Game_boy/McCaber; after all, s/he1 voted for McCaber.2

Also:
Phoenix112358 wrote:Unless you mean draw attention away from myself? Forgive me, but I don't quite see the point in doing the opposite and painting a big red target on myself after everyone thinks I'm suspicious from expressing my opinion on the no-lynch and misinterpreting your lurker-vote-prodding.
1. The big red target, my friend, is where the two of us differ.
2. For what it's worth... I don't think you've been "very scummy" at all. Flying_Cookie said that and I'd love, as a matter of fact, to hear why...


1. I'm sorry, but I really don't know anybody's gender here yet.
2. BTW, Phoenix -- you do know that McCaber's been replaced with Game_boy?3 I wasn't sure if you were joking or not
Seeing as it honestly sounds like the kind of joke I'd make...
3. Of course, Game_boy hasn't said anything either since s/he1,4 unvoted me. Not that I'm complaining about that unvote, but still -- silence ain't golden.
4. Granted, he does have the word "boy" in his username...
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Phoenix112358
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:[size=85]2. BTW, Phoenix -- you do know that McCaber's been replaced with Game_boy?3 I wasn't sure if you were joking or not


Wow epic fail on my part.

-_-

Unvote McCaber :/

Well, his replacement has still been eerily quiet since joined in, still having very little contribution to discussion.

Vote Game Boy

User avatar
cellery
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:07 pm UTC
Location: Right behind you...HA! Made you look!

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby cellery » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Flying_Cookie wrote:You said you'd start posting on Saturday night, but you haven't, though we can hardly blame you for that, since we haven't had much posting at all. It seemed like your other post was just re-saying what had been said before, though there's only so many things that can be said about the topic... Just want to hear what you have to say about whats going on I suppose.


I did get a chance to start reading the thread on saturday, but not all that much was happening. There were a total of two posts that night, and I didn't feel like I had anything to say at the moment, so I left and went to bed. How ironic is it that all the talking happens after that?

As for who I'd vote for...I can't quite say at the moment. Like I said, I did get a chance to read the thread, and I did my best to do a post by post examination (but it was late, and I think I stopped paying attention about halfway through the second page). When I read through, I did find a few things that were a little odd, but nothing really incriminating and I don't think that I should bother with it unless more evidence against the people involved is found.

At the moment, though, the two people who have been pinging me the most (but not by that much more) would be Phoenix and PsychoGoose. I can't blame AS for voting for me on the first day, and I understand that I haven't been as active as I probably could've been. Phoenix seemed like he was trying to drive his point against AS a little too hard, as if to point blame somewhere else as quickly as possible, but again, I can see where he's coming from.

PsychoGoose, on the other hand, is just kinda hard to read. He plays the game seriously enough, but a good piece of his post have been some sort of joke. Is he just having that much fun, or is he trying to cover something up...but these things have already been brought up earlier.

Anywho, I'll try to do a reread (again) after school today. I hope something else comes up before then, so I'll have more to talk about than what's already been said.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:I picked you at random.

My intention was to pick somebody at random, vote for them, and then try to come up with reasons that they look scummy. I didn't intend to admit that it was random until there was a risk of there being a bandwagon -- whether it would be on them or on me.

But then I looked through your posts, and you look innocent as hell. I mean, uh... as heaven?
I think you get the point. You look too darn townie to me. I can't even think of a way of making this a discussion vote. I fail. So, so hard.

Unvote: Angua

That said... What about Grevoriev seems suspicious? I think it's kind of odd that you voted for him... especially right after "somebody" voted for you.
I just don't like his eyebrows (mentioned in my previous posts) and thought to myself, everyone else seems to be voting for different people, why not make my first every vote in mafia?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Game_boy has been replaced by Sungura.

Sorry about all of these replacements. I expect this to be the last time.

Votes reset again.

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Sungura » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Hi everyone! I just got my PM that I am replacing game_boy.

Lots of new faces so give me this afternoon/evening to get a read done (I was sorta following it, but I left off top of pg 2) and I need to calibrate my scumdar since so many new people therefore I don't want to do a fast read and let stuff soak in. Meta doesn't work on new players so I need to figure out everyone's playstyle first before I'll be of any use. I will get a content post out sometime tonight though.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:2. For what it's worth... I don't think you've been "very scummy" at all. Flying_Cookie said that and I'd love, as a matter of fact, to hear why...


Flying_Cookie wrote:I meant more like 'suspicious at all' than 'really suspicious' basically if I made a scale of 1-10 of suspiciousness then everyone would be like a 2 or 3, and you and goose would be like 4 or 5. More suspicious than others, but not much.


Very was not the word I meant.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Also Welcome Sungura, to our not really killing fest we have going on. Maybe you can provide us with insight on who to lynch.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Sungura » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Wow. All of that and no one's scumdar is pinged enough by psycho_goose to put out a vote on him? You must be kidding me.

About psycho_goose
We start the day with joking about avatars. Then we continue some nonsense joke posts. Then we move to suggesting we talk about Az's game here. Next comes my favorite line, "Which is exactly what the scum would say!" Later we have a joke about muddying the waters, but in that whole post and his whole play, he's been muddying the waters! He's voted so many people, like he's trying to get something started. If there were a jester in the possible roles, I'd say jester, but there isn't. And there is no reason for any townie to act like that whatsoever. Therefore, what is left of possibilities is that he's mafia.

Vote: Psycho_Goose
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Vote Count:

Psycho_Goose- 1 (Sungura)

5 to lynch

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I have things to say about this post, (though, as much as I hate to say it, I can see what you're saying), but I don't have enough time at the moment. So, until later, I would like to point out that one of your points was just plain untrue.
Sungura wrote:Then we move to suggesting we talk about Az's game here.

If I may put this in context:
Psycho Goose wrote:Well, since the game's been going pretty slowly, I will suggest that we talk about what we were talking about in Azrael's game -- namely, strategy.
*proceeds to talk about strategy*
The emphasis is new. But you just plain misread what I said.

Please don't ignore the words in bold. I sure try not to.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Flying_Cookie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

I mostly agree with what Sungara has to say, but I don't plan on starting a bandwagon, and I guess I felt goose was just the kind of person who makes joke votes and such. I suppose it doesn't really make much sense to do that though.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Phoenix112358
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Phoenix112358 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:01 am UTC


User avatar
cellery
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:07 pm UTC
Location: Right behind you...HA! Made you look!

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby cellery » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 am UTC

Basically a recap of the game that I spent too much time writing, but there might be something worth looking into in here. Spoilered because it's a wall of text. Feel free to read it.

Spoiler:
I understand that some of the things in here might seem pointless to mention. This is mostly for quick (yeah right) reference for me, but I’m putting it on here in case it brings up things which could potentially prove useful later on.

Kolko: Kolko only really has a handful of posts (not that I’m one to talk), and there isn’t really much info to get from them. The only thing that I found worth mentioning was that s/he mentioned that “If the cop didn’t claim, then we wouldn’t know who the scum were”. While technically true, we can still make educated guesses as to who’s scummy and who’s not.

No reason to suspect right now.

Gregoryn: When Game_boy votes Psycho Goose for joke voting him, Greg replies “Because Goose is obviously scum!” May be a joke, may be an early conclusion. It’s also worth noting that this is his first post in some time. He (I kinda determine gender based on avatars sometimes, please correct me if I make a mistake) also has the whole shifty eyes thing, but I think that that’s extremely trivial.

Again, I don’t see much of a reason to suspect him yet.

EDIT (not a real edit, though, since I wrote this up in Microsoft word.): In light of this post: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=45241&start=40#p1789922, (namely, that it seems to have been edited, as Phoenix brought to attention) Gregoryn seems more suspicious than I originally thought. Not that it matters, since he’ll probably be modkilled before long, but hopefully we get some new info out of this.

Angua: The first one to post, and misinterprets the opening flavor. She admits her mistake when cf corrects it, though. Angua also brings up Greg’s “shifty eyes”, but he/she makes it a bigger deal than I think is reasonable. When Goose discussion votes her/him, s/he replies right away and asks why. Instead of and OMGUS, though, Angua then votes for Gregoryn in the same post, probably for the reasons stated earlier.

More suspicious than the previous two people. I might look into it more if something else comes up, but right now Angua seems townie enough.

AngrySquirrel: Has been generally helpful the entire game. In her first post she discusses cop/doc claiming strategy, and explains the “breadcrumbs” bit. In her next post she votes for me, but I understand her reasoning entirely, and she unvoted right after I replied. She also explains the reason for the mafia roleblocker in scenario #2. (Note: There is the possibility of there being NO Cop or Doctor in this game. Take any and all roleclaims with a grain of salt.) Later mentions suspicion on McCaber/Game_boy (Strangely not me, but I’m not complaining), as well as Psycho Goose. Mentions that if Game_boy turns out to be scum, she would look into Phoenix’s posts (even though Phoenix voted for him before).

Conclusion: AngrySquirrel has been a great help to the town, and gave good advice to us humble newbies. The only reason for mafia to help out the town that much would be A.) Because this is a newbie game and she wanted to help the newer members out, or B.) She’s extremely over confident. If she’s scum, she’s doing a really good job at it

Flying_Cookie: Mentions Phoenix’s claim, and suggests that it should be treated as a joke (but also list an amount of other, more complex possibilities). Brings up suspicion on Phoenix for arguing with her discussion votes. Later decides to bring up the topic of voting, and says that he’s suspicious of Phoenix and Goose, but that he’s not quite as suspicious of goose. Votes for me (again, I understand the reasoning), but he or she brings up that my second in-game post was just repeating what was said, which I disagree with.

cellery wrote:However, I think that, assuming he/she does find scum, that the cop should try to claim before LYLO, if at all possible. If we reach LYLO and the cop claims just then, there's almost definitely going to be a scum counter-claim, and we won't know for sure who the real cop is until it's already too late.


Sure, some of what I said was said before, but this part is different. At the time, people were discussing about how if it’s LYLO, then the cop should definitely claim. I counter that notion, explaining the problems with that. This is not just repeating what was said. But I digress.

After Sungura votes for Psycho Goose, Flying_Cookie says that he doesn’t suspect him much.

He did misread my post, but that’s an easy mistake for anyone to make. Unless Psycho Goose were to come up scum, I see no real reason to suspect Flying_Cookie.

Cellery: After looking at his posts I found nothing worth mentioning. Carry on. (Really though, I kinda find it counter-productive for someone to look at his own posts when trying to look for possible scum-tells. Not so much because there’s no reason to, because you should definitely read your own post, but because they are at least a little bit biased on the matter. If anyone wants to analyze my posts, go ahead.)

Psycho Goose: Hoo, boy. Half of this guy’s posts are a joke. Really. He could be muddying the waters, he could just be having too much fun for the town’s good. However, the posts that actually take things seriously were the ones I thought I had to mention. He does start up the discussion on what the doc/cop should do as far as claiming goes, that’s good. Also replies to Phoenix’s infamous claim, says that he thinks that it’s a joke. During the AS/Phoenix debate, he mentions how no-lynch is bad. Then he brings back the cop/doc discussion (maybe he was trying to distract us from the current argument?). Says that he doesn’t really suspect anyone, but (kinda) suspects phoenix, and mentions Greg and myself (for being silent). Brings up lynch-a-lurker, but he doesn’t want to start a bandwagon. When it’s brought up, he questions his water-muddying (but for all I know this could be another joke). After being voted for, brings up a mistake/oversight that Sungura made.

Without all the joke posts, there are still some things that would be worth looking into. However, it is true that he’s been muddying the waters, so at the moment he seems more likely to be scum than the other people on this list.

Phoenix: Early on s/he mentions that s/he believes that the setup is the one with two goons, because of the flavor. Then in his/her next post, there’s the whole “I’m town” claim. After AS tries to get discussion going by voting McCaber (and earlier me), he jumps on her. (It may be worth to mention that s/he did this after McCaber was voted, although it could be just after the second person was voted, too) S/He continues to put suspicion on AS in later posts, as well as suggest a no-lynch, despite the reasons why not to. Then he says that the no-lynch idea was based purely on numbers, and that he overreacted a bit. Votes for McCaber for lurking, (changes his vote when it turns out that McCaber’s been replaced). Then s/he questions AngrySquirrel’s Phoenix/Game_boy connection, since Phoenix voted for Game_boy not much earlier than that.

Phoenix seems to jump the gun a bit, which is normally a scum tell. But despite this, I’d still like more evidence to come up before voting.



My thoughts: Well, at the moment, the two most scummy looking people in this game seem to be Psycho Goose and Phoenix. But that is to be expected, they’re also the two people who have posted the most. Sure, much over half of what Psycho Goose has said has been joking, but still, the more you say the greater chance that there is something incriminating that can be used against you.

Like somebody said (honestly, I forgot to write down exactly who), in newbie games the mafia tends to be quiet, so that they don’t make any mistakes. By that logic it would seem that the two most likely people to be scum would be me and McCaber/Game_Boy/Sungara, neither of which I believe at the moment (The first one should be obvious why).

So, yeah, IGMEOY: Psycho Goose and Phoenix, but I still don’t think there’s enough for me to want to vote either of you just yet. And that doesn’t mean that I’m not paying attention to other people.

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

Yeah...issue with replacing people is everyone's past actions (or in this case, non-actions) are used against you.

I did a search (and the search fxn seems a bit screwy as of late) but I found no McCaber posts and one GameBoy post. To "lurk" that much usually means they aren't playing attention and/or too busy to play. There is a difference. A real lurker is one who pops in here and there, so you remember their name as being around, but never says anything of use and rarely posts (maybe 1-2 posts per day for a game this size). That is what a lurker is, not someone who never posted or only posted once and then asked to be replaced right away.

I hope that makes sense. It is the second type of lurker that you need to be concerned about. By definition, to lurk, you need to be around to actually hang back in the shadows (To Lurk: To lie in wait, as in ambush. To move furtively; sneak. To exist unobserved or unsuspected.) A lurker is around, and actively following things, posts a bit, but nothing much, so they can hang back in the shaddows. From my searches, McCaber and GameBoy were not even around. Therefore, they couldn't even lurk.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Kolko
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Belgium/België/Belgique/Belgien

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Kolko » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

I sound like that exact definition of a lurker :(

My scumdar this day has been pinged mostly by Psycho Goose, but mostly for "the way he plays". I.e. very deflective, posting a lot of silly non-game related posts and generally throwing his FOSses and votes around. I haven't voted him yet since I thought this was quite flimsy reasoning at best, but a reread showed me that he is just messing around. This, together with Amy's evidence gave me enough to do this: Vote: Psycho Goose
Environ 20% plus chouette.

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

With Sungura taking over for McCaber/Game_Boy my main reason for wanting them lynched is gone. Sungura particpates and for day one that is good enough for me (I really hate it when people don't participate).

I did not see Phoenix's vote earlier, which is why I still kept my suspicion on him, this I also now drop, at least for the moment.

Which leaves the Psycho Goose. I don't like leaving players that muddy the waters around for too long. However, I will do one last read-through and look at everyone before I cast my vote.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

You know what? I changed my mind. Psycho Goose don't seem like a good target for a lynch when I do a read through, he mostly has been acting pro-town with his content posts and his jokes are easy to see through even though not very funny (sorry, I don't have a sense of humor).

I'll be back with more when I get through more players.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Phoenix112358 wrote: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=45241&start=40#p1789922

Post was edited?

I'd like to know why this was edited as well.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=45241#p1783215

And this one too.

Gregoriev has now risen to the top my list of suspects, partially because of the editing (rules clearly states no editing, if you didn't catch that Gregoriev), and also because as far as I can see he hasn't contributed with anything at all.

Vote: Gregoriev
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

Woah, someone is editing posts???

Yeah. Against the rules. I expect a modkill sometime soon. I could see him doing it once by accident, but twice??? That is clearly against the rules. Someone going through and doing that is very scummy, like he posted it and read something that seemed implicating and then went back and edited it. Especially since it happened twice. Much better case than someone messing around too much and muddying waters. So, on the offchance cf decides to not modkill him for rule-breaking:

Unvote: Psycho_goose
Vote: Gregoriev
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Kolko
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Belgium/België/Belgique/Belgien

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Kolko » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Well, this is newbie mafia, has anyone actually told him he can't edit his posts? It's easy to read over something like that in the rules. I'd like to hear from him first, let him tell us why he changed those posts?
Environ 20% plus chouette.

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

As odd as it may be to argue against lynching somebody when they've taken votes off of me, I will play devil's advocate here and say that it's simply possible that Gregoriev wasn't used to the "no editing your posts in a mafia game" rule -- this is a newbie game, after all.
That said: WTF, dude?

And about me: I apologize that my earlier, gratuitous joking around has muddied the waters. If there is anything I can do to make things clearer, I will do so.
That said, I am kinda glad that it provided a topic for discussion -- I joke-voted and stuff mainly out of frustration with the glacial pace of this game, and am somewhat pleased to see that it's led to some of this discussion (though very little of that discussion has been in my favor.)

Once again, I don't have much time at the moment, so you can expect (hopefully) more intelligent posting this afternoon.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Right, as votes have been reset, I'm sticking with voting for Gregoriev for my reasons before and the fact that he has been editting posts.

Vote: Gregoriev
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Psycho Goose
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Psycho Goose » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

What previous reasons? All you said was that you didn't like his eyebrows...
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Kolko wrote:Well, this is newbie mafia, has anyone actually told him he can't edit his posts? It's easy to read over something like that in the rules. I'd like to hear from him first, let him tell us why he changed those posts?
I know it is newbie mafia, but the rules were clear in the OP. Like I said, one edit I could put off as an "oops" but when it gets to two posts, then there is an issue I believe.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:What previous reasons? All you said was that you didn't like his eyebrows...
Well, I didn't like the wording of the post. The eyebrows were part of that.
Spoiler:
Angua wrote:
Gregoriev wrote:
Angua wrote:What's with with Gregoriev going it has nothing to do with my alignment >.>.

That seems kind of suspicious, a bit wifomy.


I was replying to Goose's light FoS. Is this a problem? :P
The wording was definitely a bit off. You could have just said that you didn't really have any new thoughts/didn't know what to say.

>.> just looks suspicious, that's practically the whole point of the emoticon. Looking obviously suspicious seems a bit wifomy to me.
People looking purposefully suspicious is just weird.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Kolko wrote:Well, this is newbie mafia, has anyone actually told him he can't edit his posts? It's easy to read over something like that in the rules. I'd like to hear from him first, let him tell us why he changed those posts?



It's in the rules. It's not my problem nor is it an excuse if you don't read them. I'll have a decision on this soonish.

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: cf's Experiencely Impaired Mafia Challenge: Day 1!

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Kolko wrote:I sound like that exact definition of a lurker :(

My scumdar this day has been pinged mostly by Psycho Goose, but mostly for "the way he plays". I.e. very deflective, posting a lot of silly non-game related posts and generally throwing his FOSses and votes around. I haven't voted him yet since I thought this was quite flimsy reasoning at best, but a reread showed me that he is just messing around. This, together with Amy's evidence gave me enough to do this: Vote: Psycho Goose


Also, you need to read the rules as well. Votes are suppose to

Go on their own line.

So I can see them easier, if I miss a vote because it's buried in a wall of text that won't be my problem.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests