[normal] CELL CULTURE: LONG LIVE THE CELLS (town win)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 3 - Publish or Perish

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:10 am UTC

It only clears for D1
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

OK. We've killed the two original viruses. Now we need to find people who may have been recruited by viruses or possibly turned into viruses. I don't think we can rule out anyone being scum on the basis of when they joined so we'll have to do this the old-fashioned way.

I'm trying to get a read on the new people and so far the only thing I've really noticed is this:
Kipper wrote:@CF, what kind of info? Was it a role description, a flat out "VZ is scum", or what? And do you know where it came from?

Kipper wrote:Whatever happened to waiting for VZ to come back before lynching him?

Kipper wrote:For some reason, I don't think 1 post is going to make (VZ) multiply. And it'd be good to at least hear something from him in case CF's info is wrong.

Kipper wrote:Hm, a lot of what VZ has said is very reasonable. CF, what kind of cell are you?

I also didn't want to lynch VZ without hearing from him so I don't find that sentiment too scummy. Really, his last quote is the one that I find somewhat troubling. To me VZ's move seemed like a last desperate act (of course, I knew he was lying) and asking CF to claim was pretty weird.

Still, there's almost too much of a connection for me to think Kipper is actually scum.

Also,
crucialityfactor wrote:Wasn't a fan of Azrael001 yesterday

As far as I can tell he believed you and voted VZ right away. What makes you suspicious of him? Do you think he was distancing?

And one thing we should remember:
The Rules wrote:~ If you don't post anything, you may die. This may be worse for your whole culture depending on what cell type, your role, so how you would die. It is possible with one cell (player) dying from not posting, their whole culture will die.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

^ He was just very ready to accept my claim. I was purposely vague from the start to see how people would react. I didn't like how he was willing to do whatever I said.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

My modus operandi is to trust cop, and cop like claims 100% unless I have some reason to disbelieve them. If we find that you are lying then we lynch you next. It's pretty simple and it works.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

When I look at what you show us of Kipper, I guess that it does look a bit iffy, but not so much that it bothers me.

I tend to think that CF trying to gauge people by their reaction to her indictment of someone fits in pretty well with what I expect from her, so that doesn't bother me, either. Especially because she mentioned it right after the responses were posted, not just when the strategy was question. I tend to do the same thing as Azrael with cop-claims myself, so again, that doesn't bother me much.

The awful/awesome thing about this game is that every day is turning out to be almost another Day One. No on you trusted yesterday has to be safe today. Props to Amymod.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

Are....are you calling me a girl?

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:It only clears for D1
Umm, what is this in response to? Are we still talking about keeneal not starting out as a virus? I don't think that 5 words that don't make a whole lot of sense are going to count as a post for the sake of multiplying or not dying off.

PossibleSloth wrote:OK. We've killed the two original viruses. Now we need to find people who may have been recruited by viruses or possibly turned into viruses.
I could be wrong, but I doubt that cells can be turned into viruses. Infected cell, yes. Virus factory, yes. But I don't expect to find a player who was once a cell turn into an actual virus. Doesn't mean we don't need to sniff out the infected cells, but if we are looking for possible viruses, I think we need to be looking at the 6 players who were recently added. Then again, we don't really have much info on those players yet, so it probably is best to be looking for an infected cell from the players who have been around a while. Then again, they might have only just been infected last night, so there wouldn't really be anything in how they were playing to tip us off yet. So, yeah, I think we have a pretty difficult task in front of us.

crucialityfactor wrote:Are....are you calling me a girl?
Yes. Yes, I think he was.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

@MoA
The Rules wrote:Supporters are likely, even turned cell turned virus are likely.

This is the sort of thing I'm worried about. As keeneal pointed out, even people who we thought were town yesterday could easily be scum today. This is (one reason) why it's important for everyone to contribute.

Adacore, Dark Loink and Brooklynxman have only made a few short posts. Knightshire, Kipper and Flying_Cookie have made 1 post each and Frogman hasn't posted yet today. Publish or Perish people! :o

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

Okay, good call. I was trying to think in terms of the biology, but obviously didn't remember that bit from the rules.

But, yeah, with all the chances of a town player turning anti-town, we are just going to have to continually take a fresh look at players, with special attention on most recent posts. And like you pointed out, recent posts are therefore even more important than usual. So, it is good that Amy has must-post rules in place.

Still, I don't think there is any mechanism in this game to turn an anti-town player into a townie, so it makes sense to look at D2 to pick out who might have been infected or who was a H1N1 virus child of VZ (For now I am standing behind my hope that the herpesvirus was eradicated). I still haven't had a chance to do a thorough re-read, but should get to it eventually. In the meantime, I would love to hear thoughts from other players.
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

I agree that's it's probably in our best interest to look for those players that enter the game as virii instead of looking for infected people, especially if all infected people can do is make more virus. Since there's only one more batch of people coming in (probably, anyway), then one more or one less factor isn't too big a deal. If they do actually change alignment, then they're just yet another scum to kill off. So, why not aim for the scum that we *know* can kill us instead of the ones that *might* be able to kill us? Good logic, and I support it. :)

And sorry, CF. I knew you're a guy, but I was thinking of someone else when I was writing.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

^ scumtell ^

Is it just me, or does anyone else think keeneal's post screams "I'm an infected cell!" I mean, he seems just a bit too enthusiastic to focus on newly arrived players.

(oh, and in case you are one of those people who has posts sorted with most recent showing up on top . . .)

˅ scumtell ˅
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 am UTC

keeneal wrote:I agree that's it's probably in our best interest to look for those players that enter the game as virii instead of looking for infected people, especially if all infected people can do is make more virus. Since there's only one more batch of people coming in (probably, anyway), then one more or one less factor isn't too big a deal. If they do actually change alignment, then they're just yet another scum to kill off. So, why not aim for the scum that we *know* can kill us instead of the ones that *might* be able to kill us? Good logic, and I support it. :)

And sorry, CF. I knew you're a guy, but I was thinking of someone else when I was writing.

Im with MoA scumtell.

What I meant was, everyone who is still alive from D1 is cleared as NOT having been a virus D1, as both original viruses from D1 are dead, however, they are only cleared as town for their posts D1, as they could easily have been infected since then.

And I wasn't even thinking about the post-count replicate thing.

Spoiler:

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:10 am UTC

We can still compare the way people posted on D1 to the way they post know, because we know that the people alive during D1 were town then. It may help us to find converted cells.

Keeneal's post is weird though. How would we differentiate between viruses and converted cells anyway? Don't try and muddle the matter, just kill the scummy people!
Amy: (11:06:09 PM) ***Amy huggles Kipper
Amy: (11:06:13 PM) Amy: Leave my fishy alone.

[3:05pm] Amy: NO TOUCHING KIPPER
[3:05pm] Amy: MY FISHY!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:17 am UTC

All of a sudden, a bit of the astrocyte culture doesn't seem to be doing so well. However, other cultures are growing like mad and decide to divide. Some cultures are becoming quite large!

Joining the game now are:
Entropy
mister k
mpolo
___already playing:
keeneal
Azrael001
Possiblesloth
Adacore
Knightshire
CF
Kipper
Dark Loink
Brooklynxman
Flying_Cookie
MasterOfAll
Frogman

15 players, 8 to lynch
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:16 am UTC

keeneal wrote:I agree that's it's probably in our best interest to look for those players that enter the game as virii instead of looking for infected people, especially if all infected people can do is make more virus. Since there's only one more batch of people coming in (probably, anyway), then one more or one less factor isn't too big a deal. If they do actually change alignment, then they're just yet another scum to kill off. So, why not aim for the scum that we *know* can kill us instead of the ones that *might* be able to kill us? Good logic, and I support it. :)

Right. Your assumptions here are concerning. How do we "know" that viruses can kill us and that infected players "might"? The only thing I've seen as far as deaths go are two lynches and an nk that appears to have been a cell, not a virus. MoA is right, the first thought I had when reading this post was that it was screaming "I AM INFECTED".

If you assumption about infected people being able to create more virus is true, then it would seem to me that we would want to eliminate them first. Try to keep them from spreading too much.

Until we actually see a kill at the hands of a virus, we would be best to assume that we have two competing cult factions and the best way to deal with that would be to root out those who are recruiting.

How are you so sure of everything you've just said? You MUST have information that we are all not privy to here. I really want an explanation before I vote for you. Which I am very close to doing at this point.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Huzzah, go time! :D

I am inclined to agree with the keeneal scumtell and would throw down a vote right now, but I think the other new players should also have the opportunity to post before we move toward lynching anyone.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I originally misread the keeneal post in question, and while he almost makes sense, if there are two competing factions that can convert, then we must assume that there are...

Now I'm just repeating what other people are saying. I'm too tired to write right now. I'll be back in the morning.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:if there are two competing factions that can convert, then we must assume that there are...

Errrrr.......what?

Are you saying if its a possibility we have to assume it, or its whats going on and we have to assume it (in which case just say it so we can KNOW it), or.....we must assume that there are what?

That confuses me to no end (though in all fairness its 1:40am here and Im distracted)/

Spoiler:

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:45 am UTC

It's one forty here as well. I had a reading comp fail when reading the post in the spotlight, then I started my own analysis, only to find that it was the same as CF more or less. Half asleep posting does not good writing make.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:52 am UTC

I'm alive! And I actually was paying attention to the thread, so can more or less participate immediately!

Keeneal's statement looks really fishy to me. Are you, Keeneal, a virus?

Or maybe you're just infected... But your concern for "These are not the viruses you want" *waves hand* does not look good at all.
Image <-- Evil experiment

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 am UTC

But, those are the droids I'm looking for! Oh, right, this isn't Star Wars mafia. It's not even Stargate mafia.

Sungura wrote:All of a sudden, a bit of the astrocyte culture doesn't seem to be doing so well.
I could be wrong, but I suspect this is due to a lack of posting rather than becoming infected.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:33 am UTC

Wait? What?

Maybe I was talking too much. What I said boils down to:1. let's not worry about why people are scummy, kill scummy people. 2.If we have two people who are scummy, and we somehow know that one is an infectee and that one is a virus, then we should kill the virus first because its more dangerous.
I honestly thought I was agreeing with and just flushing out the opinion expressed in the post above me. Did I really misinterpret it that badly?

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Hello all! I have vaguely followed this thread, will no doubt read it again. I can tell you some information about how I came to be if you find it necessary, I don't know how pro-town that would be or not. I shall attempt to have something longer and more cogent to write tomorrow.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

O.K. Keeneal is not a virus, then.

Back to the drawing board on that one. Unless he's lying, of course.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:Wait? What?

Maybe I was talking too much. What I said boils down to:1. let's not worry about why people are scummy, kill scummy people. 2.If we have two people who are scummy, and we somehow know that one is an infectee and that one is a virus, then we should kill the virus first because its more dangerous.
I honestly thought I was agreeing with and just flushing out the opinion expressed in the post above me. Did I really misinterpret it that badly?

I don't think this really makes sense as an explanation, your post looked to me anyway like it was saying that we should be trying to lynch viruses joining now because they can do more damage, and that we should ignore supporters for now, unless we can't tell, and then we should just lynch whoever looks scummy, which seemed more like an escape clause, so you could go 'But I said that we should just go for whoever looks scummy'

I might be completely misinterpreting that, but unless I'm the only one with that opinion, then I don't really trust the way mpolo accepted that reasoning rather easily.

Thinking back to some of keeneals other posts in this light, I find the way he said that he didn't trust PS during Day 2, and wanted him copped, but then only brought it up as a minor point today, and seemed to agree with forgetting about it a little too easily. So if PS was scum lying about his role, then it wouldn't make sense for Keeneal to forget about it unless he became a supporter. And since his post seemed to be saying go after the new guys, not the old people, it could be that hes trying to keep the lynch mob away from him, and PS. Right now I don't trust Keeneal much at all, but I'd like to hear what take other people have on him, even more so after his latest post.
Flying_CookieTM

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Flying_Cookie wrote:I don't really trust the way mpolo accepted that reasoning rather easily.

mpolo wrote:Back to the drawing board on that one. Unless he's lying, of course.

I read mpolo's post as being fairly sarcastic; "Oh, he says he isn't scum, so he must not be. Unless he is trying to trick us or something." I don't think there is a whole lot to read into there.

In other news, everyone has gotten a say now.

Vote: Keeneal

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Under the premise that he was one of the original 3 non-virus cells in the game...keeneal has been making very strange arguments since the start. The more I think of his play as a whole the more I and starting to think that his mind is just working its way through this game in a much different way than most everyone else.

Now, I've had the luxury of being able to talk with him in PM today. It's his power, that's been established. He came forward with a claim of just about everything he had information-wise. He is afraid that he has become infected, but he never received any information that he was or that his alignment has changed.

Now, I know what you are thinking, well, maybe the infected don't get notified. I think they do.

Sir_Elderberry. A fellow macrophage. We could talk during the night. He is confirmed to have been infected. The reason I bring him up is that I believe that he KNEW he was infected. From my talking with him at night it was very clear that he was trying to play me against other players, players who I trust very much. He continually tried to plant seeds of doubt in my head in the night, but come day time he never came out with those suspicions in an attempt to lynch those players. He was trying to use me to get his agenda across without putting himself in harms way.

Keeneal has been pretty steady this entire game, regardless of how scummy his conclusions and posts have looked. He has been upfront with his information and his opinions and really does not seem to be playing in a manner that would lead me to conclude that he is scum.

So there's my $.02

I believe that the scum that we are looking for are among the newer players. So far we've only focused on the original 5 or 6 players, while loads of new players have joined us. We really haven't taken a look at any of them yet, and very few have stepped up to contribute/help lead things.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Votals:
1 - keeneal (entropy)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Refuting Flying_Cookie's (and other peoples') arguments. Spoiler'd for length.
Spoiler:
Flying_Cookie wrote:Thinking back to some of keeneals other posts in this light, I find the way he said that he didn't trust PS during Day 2, and wanted him copped, but then only brought it up as a minor point today, and seemed to agree with forgetting about it a little too easily. So if PS was scum lying about his role, then it wouldn't make sense for Keeneal to forget about it unless he became a supporter. And since his post seemed to be saying go after the new guys, not the old people, it could be that hes trying to keep the lynch mob away from him, and PS. Right now I don't trust Keeneal much at all, but I'd like to hear what take other people have on him, even more so after his latest post.

First point: very true. However, I am - and have been since Day One - a popular source of criticism. If the culture wasn't going to support the idea, then I don't want to be seen as being too pushy, now do I? That, coupled with the general consensus that PS's falseclaim isn't scummy led me to simply drop it and not draw even more fire down on my head. During my last PM to CF (which I rather expected to be my last), I explained PS's falseclaim and that if I still suspect him. I do suspect him, you know. It just wasn't a viable lynch case at the time, so I dropped it to save myself from pointless criticism. Besides, all I wanted was for him to be copped. Either it didn't happen because the cop doesn't trust me, or it did and he turned up clean, or the cop is keeping it quiet. In all cases, me talking more about how I want him copped isn't going to change anything, now is it?

Second point: The point I was making is that our time is better served killing off the viruses than it is trying to find the infected people. We know one can hurt us, and given the number of people there are available to join the game, being able to make more viruses isn't quite as important as being able to kill. Therefore, kill the viruses if you can find them, and once they're gone - or if you can't find them - *then* go after the infectees. Think of it this way: it's easier to take down an organization by killing off the brain and then the henchmen, not the other way around. If I'm wrong about infectees not being able to hurt us, then killing the original viruses is still a valid strategy, because in that scenario it doesn't matter who dies first. Same goes if none of the groups have a NK. See? Nothing bad comes of targeting the viruses first, but there are scenarios in which targeting infectees first could be detrimental to the culture. Doesn't it make sense to therefore concentrate on the viruses first?

I've also been accused of having knowledge that I haven't been sharing. PS knows everything that I knew or suspected on Day One with the exception of what S_E and I talked about (mostly him and who we might want to go after... and those people are now dead anyway), and CF is pretty well caught up with what I was thinking today. I had no PM yesterday because I messed up and used two on Day One. Pretty much everything else is public knowledge.

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Only have time for a short post:

I've had a hard time getting a read on keeneal since pretty much the start of the game. I'm still not entirely convinced he's scum, just paranoid and maybe a little confused (understandable in this game).

@Keeneal:
People think you have inside knowledge because you keep saying that the infected cells are less of a threat than the viruses when we don't actually know the infection and kill mechanisms. This is the biggest problem I have with you at the moment, since it seems to indicate you're an infected cell and therefore know what infected cells can and can't do.

@CF:
Are you saying you think S_E was infected on N1 or N0? One thing I did find odd on D2 was that he backed up keeneal in saying I must be a virus. If we knew there was only one virus left and he had been talking to you at night, shouldn't he have known that you were telling the truth about VZ being a virus?
However, there are 2 virus strains which could mean 2 different mechanisms of infection.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 am UTC

PossibleSloth wrote:@CF:
Are you saying you think S_E was infected on N1 or N0? One thing I did find odd on D2 was that he backed up keeneal in saying I must be a virus. If we knew there was only one virus left and he had been talking to you at night, shouldn't he have known that you were telling the truth about VZ being a virus?
However, there are 2 virus strains which could mean 2 different mechanisms of infection.

That's hard to guess really, I was suspicious of him from the moment he pm'd me on N1. I'm not really understanding your question. Sorry.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 am UTC

I'm going to be out of the house today, and don't have time to say anything coherent at the moment. I'll be back.

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 am UTC

I don't know anything. I assume that infectees are less dangerous. If I'm wrong, well, they have to die either way and then it doesn't matter which group dies first, so whatever. Hell, I don't even know if I'm infected or not. I almost voted for myself a few posts back.

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

@CF:
I'm just saying I agree that S_E may have been acting odd D2, but that we shouldn't assume both virus strains have the same effect when a cell is infected.

@Keeneal:
None of us knows we're not infected. Is there some reason you think you might be?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

But we know infections can turn into viruses.

Atleast that is what the rules say. Thus, ignoring infected today means more virus tomorrow. I am starting to think the only way to stop the virus is to have a simultaneous failed infection and have the virus not replicate. Anyone else getting that vibe?

Spoiler:

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

where in the rules does it say that? the closest I see is
4. Viruses may be able to infect different cultures. Once a culture in infected, certain possibilities may happen. Obviously, a virus cannot kill a cell in a culture it is not in, for example. However, remember, viruses invade cells and make more viruses with the cell's machinery. Supporters are likely, even turned cell turned virus are likely.

sorry if I'm being a bit daft here, but I don't see anything about infectees turning into viruses. But if you're right, then it doesn't matter who gets killed first, does it, since they're all equally dangerous?

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:But we know infections can turn into viruses.

keeneal wrote:where in the rules does it say that? the closest I see is [...] cell turned virus are likely.

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Okay. I see the problem here. I'm just misinterpreting a couple key words.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

All of a sudden, a cell shrivels up and dies, dumping a bunch of ions which overload a neighboring cell and it dies as well.

Frogman is dead
Dark_Loink is dead

Current Players:
Entropy
mister k
mpolo
keeneal
Azrael001
Possiblesloth
Adacore
Knightshire
CF
Kipper
Brooklynxman
Flying_Cookie
MasterOfAll

13 players, 7 to lynch

Knightshire

Postby Knightshire » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Wait what? A day-kill?
This is not much information, though I think that the flavour tells us these cells were related (parent-child or something). Anyone with a higher than high school biology here that can tell use what kind of kills this could have been?

Return to “Mafia”