[normal] CELL CULTURE: LONG LIVE THE CELLS (town win)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3917
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Sungura » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

fixed
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Dromtry
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: The Ninjas Are Coming, NH

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Dromtry » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

Hi there. Have I missed much?
~steve

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mister k » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Hmm, so we got scum, which is nice, and then someone else killed scum. I'd normally just assume the natural killer cell, but the flavour text suggests that the viruses can possibly attack each other. Humm. So 13 players left, with 2 of HV killed, 1 of herpes killed. I need to read through the night actions to work out who's died when, 'cause I'm not sure how much of each virus theres likely to be left. I wonder if each virus grows on alternate nights, or possibly both grow night one then grow on alternate nights? That'd be a finishing total of three virus each, plus however much each virus managed to recruit across the game. In that worst case scenario that'd make it 1 hv and 2 herpes left I think, with their recruits as well... so maybe thats not the case.

Will re-read and think.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
Not A Raptor
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Not A Raptor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

I've finally joined the game! So much waiting... At least we're in a good position. We haven't gone many nights without a virus getting killed!
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 3 - Publish or Perish

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 am UTC

Okay, I have added recent info on when players entered the game and what roles were in play on each day to my previous summary post.

Spoiler'd for length . . .
Spoiler:
N0 - no info on virus success or not (I thought there was somewhere, but can't find it)

D1 players
PossibleSloth - NK'd N3, was infected photoreceptor (started as stem cell)
Sir_Elderberry - NK'd N2, was infected macrophage
keeneal
Myrrh7x/VectorZero - lynched D2, was H1N1 (votes by Az, SE, Keeneal, CF, PS)
cellery/existential_elevator - lynched D1, was HHV6 (votes by CF, SE, PS, VZ)

Very early D1 addition
CF

D1 roles in play
Stem Cell
Macrophage
Astrocyte
------
Herpesvirus 6
H1N1

N1 - nothing much happened, one cell seemed to be protected

D2 players
PossibleSloth - NK'd N3, was infected photoreceptor (started as stem cell)
Sir_Elderberry - NK'd N2, was infected macrophage
keeneal
Myrrh7x/VectorZero - lynched D2, was H1N1 (votes by Az, SE, Keeneal, CF, PS)
CF
+++++++
Azrael001 - lynched D3, was HHV6 (votes by brook, Entropy, mister k, mpolo, keeneal, PS, Knightshire)
Kipper
frogman - modkilled D3, was astrocyte

D2 roles in play
Stem Cell Culture
Macrophage Culture
Astrocyte Culture
Natural Killer Cell
------
Herpesvirus 6
H1N1

No players were added during D2, but I think only because Amy was busy.

N2 - SE was killed, some infections seem to have occurred

D3 players
PossibleSloth - NK'd N3, was infected photoreceptor (started as stem cell)
keeneal
CF
Azrael001 - lynched D3, was HHV6 (votes by brook, Entropy, mister k, mpolo, keeneal, PS, Knightshire)
Kipper
frogman - modkilled D3, was astrocyte
+++++++
Adacore
Knightshire
Dark Loink - modkilled D3, was astrocyte
Brooklynxman
Flying_Cookie
MasterOfAll

D3 roles in play
Stem Cell Culture
Macrophage Culture
Astrocyte Culture
Natural Killer Cell Culture
Photoreceptor Cell
------
Herpesvirus 6
H1N1

Players added D3
Entropy
mister k
mpolo

Players modkilled for lack of posts D3
frogman - modkilled D3, was astrocyte
Dark Loink - modkilled D3, was astrocyte

N3 - PossibleSloth was killed, an infection seems to have occurred, but possibly it was a cell that was already infected with the other virus?

D4 players
keeneal
CF
Kipper
Adacore
Knightshire
Brooklynxman
Flying_Cookie
MasterOfAll
Entropy
mister k
mpolo
+++++++
NAR
Dromtry

D4 roles in play
Macrophage Culture
Astrocyte Culture
Natural Killer Cell Culture
Neuron
Cytotoxic T Cell
Myocyte
------
Herpesvirus 6
H1N1

In case it is not clear, strikethrough players were active on day listed but have since become deceased, and newly introduced players are listed after the +plus+ +signs+.


So the new roles and some basic science:
Neuron - nerve cell (I find it interesting that sometimes astrocytes turn into neurons)
Cytotoxic T Cell - immune system cell, has ability to kill infected cells (similar to natural killer cells except that NK cells are the 1st line of defense and then CTLs are produced to combat specific antigens)
Myocyte - muscle cell

I'm not sure what a nerve cell or muscle cell would be given as a role, but the cytotoxic T cell certainly sounds like it should have ability to kill infected cells. Hmm, maybe myocytes can double vote, or are somehow resistant to being killed (using muscle = strength as reasoning). I guess a neuron should have communication ability similar to what we already know astrocytes have, but I expect there is also more to it.

Also of note is that the photoreceptor cell has been removed from list, which means PS was the only one of those. Maybe I was wrong about that being a cop role, but probably not. PS was infected, though, so I doubt we would have gotten any useful info from his investigations (assuming he had them).
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:40 am UTC

We also have all of our Stem Cells matured. Presumably, an astrocyte turned into the nerve cell, as MoA guessed -- unless these stem cells are totipotent... We have three new roles, but two new players, and I suppose the new roles are more likely as developments from the existing cells than as new generations, unless we mutate while dividing.

So my guess that we had destroyed Herpes altogether was apparently too Pollyanna-ish. The infected cell that was killed last night -- hmm... either we have some vigilante action going on, or we have an attack of H1N1 against HV6. And the flavor indicates that some virus tried to infect an already-infected cell. Thus, it seems that both viruses are still active.

We wasted a lot of time on keeneal early on, and for me the decisive argument against him came from CF. But those two are the only players who have been here since day one, and every other player from day one was a virus or infected. So, I have a certain level of suspicion against CF and, depending on how that pans out, of Keeneal. Kipper is the only Day 2 addition left standing (lying in nutrient broth).
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mister k » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am UTC

So we've got 5 dead scum, and 13 players left. With two HN dead and the role still in the game, that implies strongly to me that each scum faction at least has the possibility of getting to 3. So thats 1-2 herpes, 1 HN. We've had two recruit die, and three nights. If all were succesful that would make 4 recruits. I'm guessing the balance on this game would be that recruits are hard.

I like mpolo's suggestion that a recruit of an opposing cell might kill it, although it seems to me the natural killer is an obvious vigilante- maybe it only had one kill?

Obviously we should target actual virii, as I still think they're more dangerous. I think keeneal is rather likely to have been recruited, but is basically not a virus. If we go be the earlier logic that between Az, frogman and kipper one was a virus. Az turned out to be that, which makes kipper less likely in my eyes.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mister k » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am UTC

Anyone could be a recruit, of course...
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:So, I have a certain level of suspicion against CF and, depending on how that pans out, of Keeneal. Kipper is the only Day 2 addition left standing (lying in nutrient broth).


Do you have any other reasoning against me other than I was around day 1? Because I'm getting tired of this and if all people are going to try to base lynches off of are what day you were around I'd rather be lynched right now.

Don't forget about Az. He was an actual VIRUS. Not just infected. A VIRUS.

I will say this. Take it any way you want. I'm not a virus. I'm not infected. I have been for the town from the beginning and I feel like I've been very helpful and consistent.

I'm wondering why you took the time to say that and yet there was no vote or FoS against me. You seem pretty set in your views on me. Are you just saying all this hoping to get other people to go along with you and take charge in a lynch? So that later on when I turn up town you can deflect responsibility elsewhere?

I seem to recall Az making some bold statements yesterday yet not wanting to commit a vote. He turned up Virus...

User avatar
keeneal
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby keeneal » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Today's title makes me feel special :)

Neurons, huh? To me this implies something beyond communication... I'd say maybe vote-control? Night PM powers, maybe (Astrocytes just have daytalk power)? Communication with more than one subject at a time? Unfortunately, I wouldn't know... I'm still just your regulation Astrocyte :) I guess I'm too old to grow up.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

CF, I don't have any suspicion of you beyond being there from the start, and I agree that this is quite flimsy (which is why there was no vote and no FoS). It is interesting that newly added persons could be viruses, which supports my original statement (that someone jumped on for being unbiological -- no time to look back at the moment, but it might be good to see who said this) that we needed to look for viruses especially among the second generation, as we had killed the two viruses in the first generation.

In the interest of information, I was contacted by keeneal today, which indicates that he is still able to use his astrocyte power. While we don't actually know if infected cells can use their old powers, the fact that he can still makes me feel better about him (not that I felt bad about him). This combined with the flimsiness of the argument against CF makes me feel pretty good about both of these players.

This leaves us with the question of how these viruses propagate in-game. If they divide like other cells, then Kipper almost has to be H1N1 (otherwise that strain would be wiped out) and someone who was added in Day 3 is an HV6, divided off of Azrael. If the viruses don't divide, then I dunno... They would have to come out of an infected cell, I suppose...
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Ah.. I see where you may have gotten that I was firmly against you --

We wasted a lot of time on keeneal early on, and for me the decisive argument against him came from CF.


That was supposed to mean that I accepted your argument as the primary defense for Keeneal and therefore dropped my suspicion of him way back when.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Ooh, triple post... I have to think before hitting "Submit".

Since I still think that the virus line had to be maintained at some point and there is only one possible link left to the day one known viruses, I want to ask, are you, Kipper, a virus?
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Kipper
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Kipper » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

No, I'm not. You are making a hell of a lot of assumptions on how the viruses pop up, and using them to condemn me. We don't know exactly how more viruses are made, stop acting like you do.
Amy: (11:06:09 PM) ***Amy huggles Kipper
Amy: (11:06:13 PM) Amy: Leave my fishy alone.

[3:05pm] Amy: NO TOUCHING KIPPER
[3:05pm] Amy: MY FISHY!

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Ooh, triple post... I have to think before hitting "Submit".

Since I still think that the virus line had to be maintained at some point and there is only one possible link left to the day one known viruses, I want to ask, are you, Kipper, a virus?


Do you have a lie detector? Otherwise, this question is utter bullshit.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Not A Raptor
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Not A Raptor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Kipper wrote:No, I'm not. You are making a hell of a lot of assumptions on how the viruses pop up, and using them to condemn me. We don't know exactly how more viruses are made, stop acting like you do.

As a thought: maybe he does know how they pop up. (In other words, I'm accusing him of being one.)
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Flying_Cookie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Looking at MOA's post, I came up with the following
S_E was killed N2, so we can assume he was infected n0 or n1, unless he got infected then killed which seems unlikely.
PS was an infected photoreceptor who started as a stem cell. Presumably there is some requirement for maturing from a stem cell, probably something like lasting a day or getting a certain number of posts in, so he probably became a photoreceptor around N1,D2. If they lose their powers once they become infected, then he would have had to become infected N2. If not, then he could have been infected on N1 or N0.
VZ was the original H1N1, lynched D2, so he had a chance to spawn. Considering we lynched the original HV6 D1, but we got one later on to me says that they can still spawn another virus when they get lynched if they were active enough. This means we have two, or if H1N1 has some restriction (every other day or something), then we have one H1N1 left.
E_E was the original HV6, and got lynched D1, but still spawned AZ.
We killed AZ yesterday, so he lasted for two days, giving him a chance to spawn once, or with no spawn restriction, twice.
Since we still have two viri around, then VZ spawned at least once before dying. Everyone else who spawned D2 is dead except Kipper, so there is a chance that if h1n1 spawns every night that Kipper is the spawn. Not enough of a reason to lynch though.
During night 2, someone was NKed. Possibly by a virus, but I think its more likely that the Nature Killer Cell was the one who did it. Frogman was an astrocyte, Az was HV6, PS was an infected photoreceptor, and keeneal is an Astrocyte, and I think I remember CF claiming macrophage. Since there was no photoreceptor D2 then PS had to have changed during N2 meaning he was the stem cell D2, frog and keeneal where the Astrocytes, SE was the macrophage, VZ was the H1N1, AZ was the HV6, which leaves CF and Kipper. CF had a blocking power at that point, which doesn't seem like a Nature Killer Cell power, so that leaves Kipper being the NK Cell. So, I think its likely that VZ didn't spawn D1, but did Spawn D2.

After this it gets to complicated for me to come up with any logical* conclusion.
*Logical as far as I can tell. There is a high chance that I missed something in this, so please point out anything that seems unlikely in this.

tl;dr - It seems likely that H1N1 spawns every other day, and that Keeneal, CF and Kipper are all not viruses, though they could be infected now.

Right now, what looks scummy to me is NARs last post, which due to its lack of content or reasoning, while having a chance of being true, seems to be a best pointless, or at worst an attempt to start a bandwagon on mpolo.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Not A Raptor
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Not A Raptor » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 am UTC

I'm just sounding out ideas. It's not enough for a vote or anything.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Personally Im FOSing: mpolo for actually asking scum to confess.

This isn't D1, where that is occasionally acceptable.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Entropy
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Entropy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I have a really silly question. Have we determined whether or not infected cells are actually anti-town (and therefore worth lynching)? I'm wondering what the odds are that infected cells are just being used by virii, and are not actually virus aligned.

User avatar
keeneal
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby keeneal » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:42 am UTC

Entropy wrote:I have a really silly question. Have we determined whether or not infected cells are actually anti-town (and therefore worth lynching)? I'm wondering what the odds are that infected cells are just being used by virii, and are not actually virus aligned.

...that... that is a very good question. I don't remember ever making the decision to adopt that assumption. I do, however, remember mentioning once or twice that we should go after the viruses (obviously anti-town) and then worry about the infectees (only probably anti-town/dangerous) later. I also remember that not being a popular viewpoint, because it can be construed as being pro-Infectee. Obviously, that would imply that anyone who supports that idea is probably an infectee. Since no one want others to think that they're infected, the subject was dropped altogether and we now just assume that infected people are anti-town without stating why.

Anyone disagree with that? That's how I recall it going down.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 am UTC

Kipper is not a virus.

I'm convinced of this now. Apparently the viruses do not divide like other cells (this behavior, as someone else suggested, biologically correct), because otherwise we wouldn't have any H1N1 left, and the "competition" that we seem to have witnessed last night wouldn't have happened. I might add that it is still possible that he is infected, but not a virus himself, but I'm leaving that possibility to the side at the moment in the hopes of finding a full virus.

I will do some rereading in the course of the day today, and then give some more thoughts.

I really don't see asking scum to confess as being very scummy. At best it's a dramatic FoS, since I can hardly expect a scum to actually confess.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Kipper
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Kipper » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:22 am UTC

And dare I ask what convinced you?
Amy: (11:06:09 PM) ***Amy huggles Kipper
Amy: (11:06:13 PM) Amy: Leave my fishy alone.

[3:05pm] Amy: NO TOUCHING KIPPER
[3:05pm] Amy: MY FISHY!

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am UTC

I am not permitted to say more about my reasons than I have already said.

It would be helpful for us to figure out how this whole virus propagation works, but I suppose we just don't have enough information to do so. We should probably look at the Day 3 births to see if anyone is suspicious, since the Day 1 and Day 2 births seem to be in order.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mister k » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 am UTC

keeneal wrote:
Entropy wrote:I have a really silly question. Have we determined whether or not infected cells are actually anti-town (and therefore worth lynching)? I'm wondering what the odds are that infected cells are just being used by virii, and are not actually virus aligned.

...that... that is a very good question. I don't remember ever making the decision to adopt that assumption. I do, however, remember mentioning once or twice that we should go after the viruses (obviously anti-town) and then worry about the infectees (only probably anti-town/dangerous) later. I also remember that not being a popular viewpoint, because it can be construed as being pro-Infectee. Obviously, that would imply that anyone who supports that idea is probably an infectee. Since no one want others to think that they're infected, the subject was dropped altogether and we now just assume that infected people are anti-town without stating why.

Anyone disagree with that? That's how I recall it going down.


Because they're pretty obviously anti-town... I agree we should kill viruses first, because they can infect people after all. Unless.. infected cells turn into the virus? Would that be crazy?
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 am UTC

That's kind of the nagging doubt I have... We know that viruses don't divide normally (at least I'm now convinced of that, otherwise Kipper would be a virus by process of elimination), so we have to go back to biology. There -- very simplified, possibly to the point of being wrong -- the cells are invaded by foreign DNA that lets itself get copied along with the DNA of the cell, until the point that the cell bursts open and dies, releasing lovely new viruses into the world. Maybe that means that when Sir_Elderberry and co. were "killed", this was actually the infection having run its course, killing the infected cell and producing one or more new viruses. Since we have no more new players coming in, this assumption would have us with viruses no longer able to multiply, but infected cells that gradually drop off. However, we also had speculation that H1N1 and HV6 have different mechanisms, so I am probably way off-base here.

In short, my "wild guess" is that the infected cells are doomed to die at some point. It is not clear to me which side they are on at the point they are infected. If they don't switch sides, then we have Keeneal's fear from day one all over again, that one might be infected without knowing it. I'm tending to discard that option for the amount of impossibility it gives us in actually containing this virus infestation.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Alright, we need to keep this game moving. I was kinda hoping that something interesting was going to happen today, with all the players finally being here (minus the ones that have already been killed off, of course) and with a number of new roles that we don't know anything about (not that we know all that much about roles that have been around for a while). But, that doesn't seem to have happened.

So, I guess we will just have to go about this the old fashioned way. Except that we still don't have that much insight on the game mechanics, which I find a bit frustrating at this point. The 1st post makes it clear that the viruses are the bad guys, while the rest of us are the good guys, unless we get infected and then there is the possibility of being used to make new viruses, to become supporters, or even become a virus (I don't know if those are mutually exclusive things, but I would guess they are not, but again, I really have no insight into game mechanics at this point.) Here's where that came from (rule 4 of game specific stuff from 1st post):
4. Viruses may be able to infect different cultures. Once a culture in infected, certain possibilities may happen. Obviously, a virus cannot kill a cell in a culture it is not in, for example. However, remember, viruses invade cells and make more viruses with the cell's machinery. Supporters are likely, even turned cell turned virus are likely.
Interestingly, rule 1 (not quoted, but feel free to go check it yourself) makes it sound like there was the possibility for some independents (perhaps bacteria, etc.) but that doesn't seem to have happened, since those things are not listed under 'roles in play'.

Anyway, I have to admit that I'm not feeling too motivated about this game right now, since I feel that there is just too much that we don't know about how this game works, and combined with what we do know (that players that are know to be good one day can later turn into supporter or full blown virus) just makes it seem overly difficult to get rid of all the bad guys. With that said, we have had remarkable success so far, as every lynch has killed a virus and every NK (which I believe are due to vigilante) has killed an infected cell. The only town losses were from frogman's lack of participation getting him and DL modkilled. I really don't know how we have managed to be so successful to this point, but whatever y'all are doing to determine lynch candidates (I have to admit that I was not on board for the Az lynch) keep it up.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3917
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Heh, there are plenty of opportunities for interesting things to happen, but a lot of players are sitting on their abilities. That's not my fault! :P
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
Azrael001
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 am UTC
Location: The Land of Make Believe.
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

It's not my fault that people lynched me. Well it is, but now you see why you shouldn't.
23111

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Okay people who are sitting on their abilities, get to it and do something already (you heard the mod!). And for the rest of us, anyone have any preferences in lynch candidates yet?
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mister k » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

Very well, after a clarification from the mod, I will role claim. I'm the muscle cell, and am in posession of a day kill. I'm a little tempted to throw it at those likely to be culted- keeneal seems a plausible target, but am open to suggestions.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Hmmm, a daykill. While interesting, I'm not sure that helps all that much, since that means 2 candidates need to be singled out for killing. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have another kill for the town to use. It's just that if you are looking for suggestions, I don't have any at this point, since I don't really have any strong feelings on who to lynch.

What would be interesting is if someone counterclaimed being the myocyte.

In the absence of a counterclaim, I am very inclined to believe mister k, and that therefore he is town. So, I guess I am willing to trust him today (of course, by tomorrow he could be infected). That means there is now 1 other player besides myself that I do not consider a valid lynch candidate.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

User avatar
keeneal
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby keeneal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Well, I've certainly been using my powers, and I've been contacted by others in a similar manner, so I can happily say that Team Astrocyte is pulling its weight.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby mpolo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

I'm doing everything I can, power-wise. Keeneal is in contact with me today, though we haven't had all that much to say to one another due to my being swamped.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Knightshire
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Knightshire » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Heh, there are plenty of opportunities for interesting things to happen, but a lot of players are sitting on their abilities. That's not my fault! :P

I don't think that interesting things is necessarily good for town at this point. Considering mister k has a day kill and Natural Killer cells probably have something similar, some of those unused abilities would be kills. And everyone just firing their shots at this moment doesn't seem like the right thing for people to do.

User avatar
Not A Raptor
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Not A Raptor » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 am UTC

There must be powers other than kills out there that she's referring to. Else, many cell types are killers.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Oh screw it I'm just gonna out and request any stem cells choose to become astro's or photo's and NOT neuron's.

I am the neuron. I lead a mason group with all photo's and astro's.

I have one member, who it seems is constantly being brought up to discussion as a likely virus or infected cell (if infected cells do become viruses, I may be able to tell by keeneal leaving my mason group, I hope).

I have no guarantee of Keeneal's alignment.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Flying_Cookie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Flying_Cookie » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:40 am UTC

There aren't any more stem cells left according to the opening.
Flying_CookieTM

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Oh goddammit.

So the second Keeneal dies, I become essentially vanilla.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: [normal] CELL CULTURE: Day 4 - Wish upon an Astrocyte

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:Oh goddammit.

So the second Keeneal dies, I become essentially vanilla.



Unless you're really a Virus!!!!


Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnn *dramatic reverb*


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests