Mini: Sci-fi mafia: Day 4 - M.A.F.I.A wins!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Re: Mini: Sci-fi mafia: Day 2 - Auto-pilot activated

Postby Brooklynxman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

While I agree mpolo was being fingered by Az with that vote, the insane cop theory IS a valid theory because this is sci-fi mafia, where cops are.......less then effective.

However, without any evidence to the contrary, and with Az's cop specifically being a scum-finder cop, I will vote mpolo as soon as we have had some more conversation.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:While I agree mpolo was being fingered by Az with that vote, the insane cop theory IS a valid theory because this is sci-fi mafia, where cops are.......less then effective.

We usually get word of the sanity of cops when they die, so I think he was a normal cop. I think, however, that if AZ were a cop he wouldn't just have voted Mpolo. He would at least try to find some reasoning.

mpolo wrote:My take on this is that Azrael may well have investigated me, saw that I was town (completely vanilla, by the way), and was testing the waters with his vote to see who might pounce upon it. The fact that someone killed him immediately afterwards totally messed up that strategy...

This could be a valid theory, but since you yourself are the one accused and the only person who can confirm it is dead, I'm going to disregard it for the moment.

My trust level on mpolo has gone down a bit, but not so far as to vote him right now. I am going to FOS: Mpolo, and see where this will lead us before I make up my mind.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

I can't really say a lot more to defend myself, as it's my word against Azrael's (presumed) word, and he is dead and a cop. So, in case I get lynched, I'll at least share my thoughts for the benefit of the town.

PM's pulling back from his vote on Dromtry put me feeling that he was most likely town. This combined with AMT's townishness makes me pretty certain that we have a townie there.

Moody's posting has been pretty consistent with a town alignment, as far as I can see. I started to feel bad about him when he voted me, but it is really a reasonable vote.

Fin Archangel is generally cautious with votes, so I tend toward town.

Kolko has seemed slightly off to me at very moments. If he is scum, Kipper may well be as well. (I had originally thought of this the other way around, but my current gut would be to vote Kolko before Kipper.) Kipper started the "attack" on me, but again, anybody could have done that...
Image <-- Evil experiment

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 am UTC

I'm not sure if I'm going to vote mpolo.
On one hand, Az may have investigated him, and lead to the vote.
On the other hand, mpolo hasn't been very scummy, and he's been very active this game.

I'm a little suspicious of moody (though I may be biased), and adacore has completely flown under my radar, but he's been busy so meh.
Amy: (11:06:09 PM) ***Amy huggles Kipper
Amy: (11:06:13 PM) Amy: Leave my fishy alone.

[3:05pm] Amy: NO TOUCHING KIPPER
[3:05pm] Amy: MY FISHY!

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Unvote

Hrm.

I want to hear more from others first. mpolo so far has proven to seem quite townie.
Spoiler:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:53 am UTC

I should have some time this afternoon, so I'll probably post some long-ish analysis later.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I don't think there's any reason to assume that we'd have word of the sanity of a cop when they died - I certainly wouldn't give that information if I were modding a game. That said, I don't think it's terribly likely that a cop in a mini would be insane - it's not an assumption I'd work on in general unless we knew there were at least two cops (in which case the chances are one of them is not reliable). One thing we could do, is ask.

Would we be told if a dead cop were insane?

So, I looked through Az's posts, and here's what I got: He comments that the disembodied voice reminds him of Marvin the Paranoid Android, discussion votes Kipper and introduces the idea that the roles are generic rather than specific characters. Unvotes to OMGUS vote PM, then switches to Nikc (characteristic Az day 1 votehopping, really), comments that Kipper is slightly scummy, then switches to vote for Kipper. Day 2 he re-voted for kipper, then made his much discussed vote for mpolo and promptly died.

If Az used his D2 investigation and if he found scum (or SK, if our SK is active and/or shows up to a cop as anti-town), then it's highly likely that mpolo is anti-town, assuming Az was sane (which, as I implied above, I am doing). My only concern with this is that, as Fin stated, it just seems way too obvious for mpolo to kill Az immediately after he voted for mpolo. But this could be WIFOM, or it could've been a different killing faction, but that seems quite unlikely to me because I don't believe our SK is 'active' yet and I doubt there are any additional kill powers in a 10 player game. All in all, I can see how this raises some serious questions about mpolo, but I can't really justify a vote yet.

As I said earlier, I've got some time, so I'll do a quick readthrough of remaining players as well (bracketed number is posts after D1 start):

Spoilered for length:

Spoiler:
Fin Archangel (11) Replaced the lurking Nikc. Agrees on the lurker status of Dromtry and doesn't want to lynch Kipper. Doesn't think PM is scum. Day 2 made some short posts on mechanics and other comments, does a lengthy and imo pretty good analysis of the mpolo/Az situation after Az's death, coming to the conclusion that mpolo is likely anti-town but didn't kill Az, then voting mpolo. Then, finally, an unvote for further discussion. His posts seem solid and the recent analysis was good. Leaning town, for me.

moody (7) Comments on Kolko's voting of Kipper and FoS's Kolko. Does a full analysis of Kipper's posts, conclusion in some suspicion of Kipper and '80-90% of the way' to a vote, then votes Kipper. States trust of PM for unvoting Dromtry, then hammers Dromtry. On D2 agrees with the idea of Az fingering mpolo and votes mpolo. The Dromtry thing, and his apparent willingness to jump on any potential target makes me a touch suspicious. Leaning anti-town.

Kolko (11) At the start of day 1 he commented that the votes on kipper were foolish, then immediately voted for Kipper himself, followed by a quick unvote when questioned about it. Later he suggested that we were probably going to random lynch - I guess we did, kinda, but it's not something we should be hoping for. His last post about the cop sanity sounds to me like he wants mpolo to be guilty a bit too much. Leaning anti-town.

Brook (16) Starts with a discussion vote on Az, agrees with the alien-mafia idea. Switches to Kipper after he defends Nikc's lurking. Posts several times against lurking then votes Dromtry. Several procedural posts at D2 start, then agrees with both the jester and SK speculation, notes that the method of Az's killing may imply non-alien (at least in the 'vicious feral Alien' stereotype) mafia. Agrees that insane cop is possible, however thinks it best to assume a sane cop. I'm not really getting much either way here (I never can read Brook).

Kipper (15) Complains about being voted and agrees with the idea of generic roles. Argues against lynching Nikc, preferring a Dromtry lynch, over several posts in which he argued against the people voting for him because of this. Fingers PM when he unvotes Dromtry. D2 he proposes the Az copped mpolo idea, Recent post stating uncertainty on mpolo and suspicion of moody and possibly me. The D1 stuff was full of minor pings, nothing major, but I am leaning anti-town on him.

mpolo (19) First post made a lot of sci-fi references while suggesting we hunt scum. Agrees with my idea of aliens-as-scum and that the "all doomed" line sounds like a jester, but speculates it could also be a SK. Confirms generic role, then does a brief summary of posts up to that point. Agrees that lurking is bad, and fingers Kipper for defending Nikc. Doesn't want to lynch lurkers if we're getting replacements, suggests that we probably have a doctor and a cop. Votes Dromtry. D2 he does some analysis of the flavour, agrees that the voice is probably SK. After Az's death he suggests that he was copped, but returned as town and Az was trying to draw out scum votes. Comments on townie-ness of amt, moody and Fin, states suspicions of Kolko. Some of this stuff does ping, and the Az situation raises my concerns a bit. On the posts alone, I'm fairly neutral though.

amt (5) Joined as a replacement for PM D2. Comments that she loves her role PM, and that the flavour is likely meaningful (I agree), asks for discussion, analysis and comments. Comments that mpolo mentioned the SK a lot, states confidence on moody and suspicion of Kolko. Agrees with Kipper that Az may have copped mpolo, but later concedes that it's not the only explanation. I'm getting a fairly townie-feel from what I've seen so far here.

So in summary, I'm most suspicious of kipper, Kolko and moody. The Az stuff makes me a bit wary of mpolo too, as I stated before. Unless we've got both a SK and a jester, we can't have that many anti-town roles, so I'm probably wrong on at least one count, I guess.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Here is the thing with someone else killing Az. The flavor (grilled cheese) heavily implied a scum kill. Now, here is a scenario where mpolo is scum and didn't kill Az and scum still did:

There is another scum who controls the kill.

Possibly a godfather. Which makes additional sense in that mpolo would be the one who would show up scum.

Also, killing someone who has voted scum has become so obvious that anyone trying to argue scum killed someone because that person voted scum ends up dripping wifom all over the place. As a matter of fact attempting to divine the motives of scum gets into scumtell teritory itself. Assuming the mafia kill is random (even though there is every chance it might not be) is always a prudent idea unless there is evidence to the contrary (as there turns out to be here, but we dont know if the mafia knew Az was a cop or not, or even if mpolo is scum, which looking back he hasnt acted like it).

tl;dr Scum made the kill, and its possible mpolo is scum and scum made the kill.

Spoiler:

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Good analysis so far. I don't think I'll do a full reread analysis myself because Adacore has covered it quite well. However, I will post my thoughts:

So far Kolko seems to be really intent on keeping everyone happy. His quick bandwagon and quick unvotes seem quite suspicious, like he's trying to wear a cloak of displacement. I think FoS Kolko.

moody seems to be quite suspicious as well. He hasn't posted all too much, as far as I can see, and both he and Kolko end up contradicting themselves quite a bit, as well as auto-bandwagoning any target. FoS: moody

I'm leaning town, though, on Brook and ada; and actually somewhat mpolo. Neutral on Kipper and amt. Right now I feel that Kolko and moody have been acting the most suspicious, but not enough to warrant anything more than a FoS.
Spoiler:

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Mmk, I'm definitely not voting mpolo.
1. Why would Az investigate mpolo?
2. Can we be sure that Az's vote was the result of an investigation?
3. Can we be sure of Az's sanity, even if he did investigate mpolo?

See, the thing of it is, all we have against mpolo is a seemingly unlikely investigation result, other than that, he's been completely townlike. So I'm going to go for who I think was most suspicious otherwise...
Vote: Moody
1. Not very active, seems to be deliberately flying under the radar.
2. His D1 suspicions of me were half exaggerations, half unnecessary vagueness.
3. Insta-bandwagon vote on mpolo.

Yeah, it's not much, but we seem to have a dying game on our hands. A vote might actually get some activity going too.

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:07 am UTC

EBWOP:
The way Moody is playing also reminds me of how he was playing in mystery sins (few posts and bandwagons), he was the sin in that game.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:07 am UTC

With moody, I've had some positive moments, some negative... I felt really good about his confirmation of PM's backing off, but he does seem to be slinking around in the shadows a lot. He pops in, posts a line or two, then disappears. I think I could be convinced of a moody lynch, but I want to see how he responds to Kipper's vote.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Kolko (11) At the start of day 1 he commented that the votes on kipper were foolish, then immediately voted for Kipper himself, followed by a quick unvote when questioned about it. Later he suggested that we were probably going to random lynch - I guess we did, kinda, but it's not something we should be hoping for. His last post about the cop sanity sounds to me like he wants mpolo to be guilty a bit too much. Leaning anti-town.

Maybe I was hopelessly out of touch with the game at that point, but were any of the votes for Kipper on D1 (at least the beginning of it) actually serious? I was just trying to joke around a bit as well, I seem to have misunderstood the joke :(

I feel you have misunderstood me about the randomlynching bit, I was certainly not hoping for it, I was just pointing out that in my, admittedly small, experience, nearly every D1 ends with a randomlynch. I didn't want it to happen and I was certainly not hoping for it but usually nearly nothing that we can base a vote upon happens on the first day.

Lastly, concerning mpolo. You have understood correctly that I think AS would have given cop sanity upon his death, and I still feel she'd do that. You have however misunderstood the rest of my post. My point was that AZ wouldn't just have voted for mpolo if he had found out he was guilty. Therefore I didn't think we could deduct AZ had gotten a scum result for mpolo from his vote. The reason I FOS'd mpolo was that I felt he was trying a bit too hard to make it seem AZ had gotten a town result.

I fear a lot of the misunderstanding had to do with English not being my first language, I'll try to make my posts more clear from now on and I hope this post was a good beginning. :)

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 am UTC

This is such an active game...
Oh squirrel mod above, can we get a modprod on moody and a deadline?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 am UTC

I was out for a day, but I don't seem to have missed much. I would put another vote on moody to up the pressure, but I don't think that that would have any real effect (except to make it easy for scum to bandwagon). We need his input!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Would we be told if a dead cop were insane?

No.

Votes:
1 mpolo (moody)
1 moody (kipper)

Moody has been modpoked.

You got until Wednesday, when I feel like it, to lynch someone.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

I don't think I have anything new to input. Need to hear from moody.
Spoiler:

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I'm working on some post-by-posts, which stand a decent chance of being done by Halloween. >_> So far, I'm still a bit leery of mpolo and kolko, and I'm warming up to the idea of a sort of mercy-lynch of Moody. He mentioned in MusicMafia, I think it was, that he was getting a little burned out, and being a replacement here myself, I know how much trouble AS has had finding them. It's not an optimal idea, but from the situation we're in, and the reread I'm doing... I can think of worse plans. If he shows up, at the moment, that would change things. But that mght depend on what he said and what I got from this analysis.

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am UTC

We could also lynch brook.
It would be fun!

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Well, I can't remember what timezone AS is in, but it's Wednesday here, so I've got to decide whether I should vote for Moody as a mercy-lynch (probably at this point the best option) or just leave it to the coin flip since I'm suspicious of mpolo too.

Actually, thinking about it, that's an incredibly stupid idea.

Vote: Moody

Should anyone happen to come along with an objection, you got... 3-5 hours to change my mind.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:06 am UTC

*sigh*

Vote: moody

Spoiler:

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about it either. If you got any better ideas, I won't be too hard to convince. Still, Moody is probably not going to be any use to us tomorrow either... dragging it out might just make it worse. Better now than LYLO... and I do think there's a pretty decent chance he's scum. I hope so, anyway. *sigh*

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 am UTC

I'm so unsure about moody, and yet he is the most suspicious person around at the moment. With the deadline and his lurkiness, I guess I have to

Vote: moody

He's not likely to be replaced with two votes on him just before deadline anyway, so we avoid having two day deaths this way at the very least.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 am UTC

And thus it was decided, albeit reluctantly, that Moody would have to take a trip into space without a spacesuit. As the he was pushed into the airlock he fluttered his tentacles and said "But I just want to help! You don't have to kill me just because I'm green! I am helpful!" But the passengers didn't care about his pleas and sent him packing.

Moody has been lynched. He was the friendly alien. (Doctor)

It is now Day 3.
7 players, 4 to lynch!

they/them/theirs

ameretrifle
Vera

Re: Mini: Sci-fi mafia: Day 3 - Step up to red alert!

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 am UTC

Oh for fuck's.... *headdesk* Thanks so much for putting up such a valiant defense, man...

Guess it's back to the rereading. I've said where I stand right now... with our luck, there's probably a mafia kill coming too, which will leave us at 6/4 with a "potential serial killer" or whatever (unless the scum take care of that). Faaaaaantastic. Well, maybe we can pull it out... at least pretty much all the remaining players post things...

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 am UTC

Some passengers find some bodily remains near the waste-disposal unit, there's too little left though to get any proper identification from.

Ameretrifle has been killed. Role will not be revealed. She was, however, pro-town.

Also,

It is lylo!

they/them/theirs

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

Doctor?

*signs out, goes home, says good bye to sci-fi mafia loved ones*

Screwed we are, unless find mafia, today we do.

Spoiler:

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Unless I miscounted somewhere, there were only 4 votes on Moody when he was lynched, weren't there? There were 8 players before he died, wouldn't that mean he needed 5 votes to be lynched?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

For the record, I didn't think I was hammering. (Maybe this was a "time ran out" lynch.) We're not very good at this, it seems... We have lost (at least) two town power roles, so that means we most likely none left.

Dead Town:
Azrael - cop
Moody - doctor
AMT - who knows?
Dromtry - pilot

Still alive:
mpolo - claimed vanilla town
Adacore
Fin Archangel
Kolko
Brooklynxman
Kipper

We're at lylo, which means that if we hit town and lose another town to mafia kill, the mafia will control the vote. Which makes two mafia still the most likely situation.

I'm wondering if AMT wasn't our potential SK, as she wasn't revealed.

Some random things that pop out on a re-read.

Moody (doctor) voted for Kipper and was immediately voted with little justification by Kolko. I thought at that moment that Kipper and Kolko might be scumbuddies. Kipper has been very pro-me recently, which may be trying to make me forget this...

Moody gave PM/AMT a modicum of trust, which seems to be borne out by her pro-towniness.

Moody voted me on the strength of Azrael having voted me.

Kipper started the campaign against moody.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

On account of lylo......who thinks it is time for a mass claim?

Spoiler:

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Hilarious.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Mass claim? I don't think so.
Spoiler:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

Even if we had one, it is unlikely that anyone is anything other than vanilla town or mafia (maybe some sort of independent as well), so presumably everyone would claim vanilla town anyway.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

At this point Brooklynxman decides to go get himself a cup of tea. The dispenser that creates a liquid that is very similar to, but not quite like, tea seems to be malfunctioning however. Somewhat gloomy Brooklynxman decides to head down to the cargo-room instead to see if he can find some tools or something useful he can make tea of. Just as he's about to go out the door he starts to scream, and then trashes wildly about the room before something sprouts out of his chest and tries to run away. The other passangers stomp on it and it dies, but so does Brooklynxman. "Ok, fess up! Who planted the alien in this nice young man?" one of the passengers shout, but there is no reply, all the others seems busy studying their shoes carefully.

Brooklynxman has been killed. He was the spunky sidekick (vanilla-town).

5 players, 3 to lynch.

Lylo.

they/them/theirs

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Weak.

To the spoilers.

Spoiler:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Wonderful. We have two killing factions now. Great.

I just started to write out an analysis of this, but it's too depressing. Town can only win with a lot of luck and the "cooperation" of two enemy factions. And I still have no idea who is who.

FOS: Fin Archangel. He checked in right before Brook was killed. Perhaps trying to prevent a role-claim that would force him to lie?

Ninja'd: Bye Brook.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Maybe we should just lynch Kipper like originally planned.
Spoiler:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Well I guess that means our SK is active, and is an alien then. Which rules out the aliens-as-scum idea, unless that was the scumkill and the earlier kill was SK, I guess.

I'm gonna FoS Fin for his previous post too - the one thing we can't do now is rush into hasty lynches. We really need to think this through now. I'll look over the posts tomorrow and do some more analysis and hopefully find something.

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

We could lynch brook! It would be...
Oh wait :(
Looking back, my suspicions are on mpolo, Kolko and Adacore atm.
Adacore has completely gone under my radar, and I don't really like that, but I won't vote him for it now.
Kolko has really done nothing all game. He's had very few content posts, and he's been very good at not pissing anyone off, by either following others' votes, or doing what others had been doing.
Mpolo was fairly townie to me, but I don't see fin being scum. Also, his last few posts have pinged me a bit. The biggest ping I got was when he tried to pin moody's death on me as evidence. 1. If you guys disagreed with it, you could've voted someone else. 2. Being wrong isn't scummy. 3. You even said yourself you could get convinced of a moody lynch. Also, being a doctor doesn't give him magical protown sensing powers. Him voting me / being unsuspicious of AMT really doesn't mean anything.
Right now I'd say Kolko and Adacore are scum, and Mpolo is the SK.
I'm gonna do a reread later, though I don't think I'll find much (deep analysis ain't my thing), but maybe I'll find a few connections in Adacore's jumbo post.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Oh hey I'm dead. That was quick. :D Good luck, you poor sods!

Return to “Mafia”