Whackabanana: The Mod is Dead. Long live Militant Atheists

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
OverBored
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby OverBored » Fri May 21, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

Regardless, it seems likely it was instigated by them, rather than someone else (unless they have a protector), since they did it to avoid a lynching...
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

OverBored wrote:Regardless, it seems likely it was instigated by them, rather than someone else (unless they have a protector), since they did it to avoid a lynching...
Yeah, totally. I think they're time travelers. It makes sense!

I don't know whether or not I should vote against Felltir. The evidence against him seems insubstantial to me.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Sungura » Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Votals:
1 - Felltir (Vox)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Ok, so I just did a re-read. It wasn't terribly helpful, but I have a few guesses as to what just happened now.

So, thoughts:
-We're dealing with either time travelers or ghosts. One or the other, probably not both. I'm going to guess time travelers, since while ghosts disappearing could make sense, time travelers disappearing does too, and I think ghost mechanics are likely to be death-related. (I'm just going to say 'time traveler' for the rest of this to make things easier.)
-At least one of JoJ/Az is either a time traveler or affiliated with time travelers.
-At least one of JoJ/Az isn't town aligned, and/or both are part of the same faction. Unless the latter is true and the faction is town-aligned I don't think this can possibly be construed as helpful to the town. Taking one lynch target away, sure. But both? This close to the deadline? No.
-The kill was done by someone involved in this mess. JoJ, Az, or maybe the person doing the disappearing if that person is not JoJ or Az. Whoever did it is intending to confuse us. I think that the reason for killing was the unvote/vote for JoJ, and not that he was the cult leader. I think that that was just a happy coincidence.

I'm going to go back to my previous vote. The people I really want to vote for now are the ones I can't, and they've left no clues behind that I can find. I really never saw the case against Felltir, and if I'm going to vote mostly on feelings I'd rather they be mine than someone else's.

vote: The Moo Prophet

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri May 21, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

I am going to cry.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:I am going to cry.
So you're going to mourn yourself?
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

(I was going to post this as a spoiler, but I think it's worth being made public.)

I wasn't sure of my Az vote before.

But with all of this happening, and especially that kill...it reeks of grand planning. It reminds me very much of some things I've tried to do as scum/cult. And my playstyle is a lot closer to Az than to JoJ.

And even if it weren't, this just strikes me as something Az would do.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when Az comes back, I think he needs to die a very quick death.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby RoadieRich » Sat May 22, 2010 1:17 am UTC

Hmm, so we have a cult of scientology around.

If someone new appears, I suggest we watch them rather closely: Scientology believes an Assumption, which is just a fancy name for reincarnation. The Thetans also give a pretty good basis for having ghosts, although it would appear that BXM thinks himself to be out of the game - he appears to have been asking about reading spoilers in the discussion thread.

It also suggests another faction: Anonymous. Although not referenced in the flavour (but then neither was Scientology), Anonymous have set themselves against Scientology, so it would make sense for them to also appear in the game.

Amy, can you edit the OP to show deadness please?

What follows is nothing more than pure speculation, but might at least be entertaining for those in the know to read.

As soon as I saw we had beams of light, I thought, "Hmm, science." I then discovered we had Scientologists in the game. It's vague, but it's a possible connection. The chain of events could have gone something like this:
BXM targets JoJ with the blue rays.
JoJ uses his ability, which lets him kill the person targetting him.
The ability somehow bounces, and still needs to find a target (this may be hinted at by the reference to the beam "searching").
BXM (or maybe JoJ) name Az as the target.

Please feel free to make of that what you will... I'm not really sure what it would imply.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby phlip » Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 am UTC

OverBored wrote:Regardless, it seems likely it was instigated by them, rather than someone else (unless they have a protector), since they did it to avoid a lynching...

Hmm... I'm not convinced. I mean, what are the chances that both of them, who were being voted for for different reasons, in different phases of the day, would just happen to be in the same faction, or have the same power?

And even if one of them has the mysterious light power, whatever it is, why use it on the other? I mean, it's possible their role is such that they'd gain from the confusion, but it's just as likely that the same applies to anyone else... who'd then have the same to gain from doing whatever was done to both of them.

I think the most likely case is an uninvolved third party (fourth party, if you count BXM...) trying to stir up confusion. And it's working.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 4:53 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:And finally, for the cult, if they start with 3 I'd certainly hope they have a limited recruit ability, as that would be 6 people by D4 if we don't kill the cult leader, out of probably a maximum of 14 people and it would be lylo. For a standardly recruiting cult I say 2 max. But thats just my guess.

Misinformation or informed "guess"? I say the cult started with two and with the cult leader dead they can no longer recruit.

Brooklynxman wrote:I'll second the notion that if Mega is scum she is cult, and suggest that if we collectively think its enough to lynch her (remembering she is always scum) then we should do it without second thoughts as getting an original cult member on D1 is a true coup for the town.

I had in my notes "BXM assures us that if Mega is scum she is cult." So I went back and found this post. I am trying to decide if this is BXM banking on a Mega lynch so he would look good or not.

Mega pinged me as scum (suspected cult) before, and with J'o'J out of the picture for now, my vote will be reinstated pending a thread review.

As far as what happened to Azrael001 and Jar'o'Jam, my guess, based on the roles we know of, is they have been taken into the future, probably acted on by someone else, not themselves. This implies that there are multiple time travelers, as this seems more likely than there being a time traveler that can target more than one person at a time.

Of course this doesn't seem likely to be the way that time travelers function, so it may be a role that we have not been given any indication of it's existence.

Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:What follows is nothing more than pure speculation, but might at least be entertaining for those in the know to read.

As soon as I saw we had beams of light, I thought, "Hmm, science." I then discovered we had Scientologists in the game. It's vague, but it's a possible connection. The chain of events could have gone something like this:
BXM targets JoJ with the blue rays.
JoJ uses his ability, which lets him kill the person targetting him.
The ability somehow bounces, and still needs to find a target (this may be hinted at by the reference to the beam "searching").
BXM (or maybe JoJ) name Az as the target.

RoadieRich, this seems like quite a stretch.

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Also, to note for future metagaming, Cult-BXM mentioned other times that he was cult and/or scum in almost all of his posts. Interesting to note.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Actually.

unvote: TMP

Given all that's happened, I'm no longer convinced enough of anything to vote, and we have a couple of days to figure things out. No need to be hasty. It may come back if I don't find a better target, but I'd rather look for one than not.

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 5:19 am UTC

YOU DIRTY NINJA! I had just composed a post railing on you for voting with your feelings despite all your claims to dislike feeling-based votes that can't be "quantified." There goes my fun. Part of me wants to post it anyway.

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Bulvox » Sat May 22, 2010 5:20 am UTC

O.o I miss one day and I come back to find a cult leader dead and two people missing...And Vox thinks that Felltir is scum...

On that subject, I honestly don't think that Felltir is scum, but that may just be him lulling me into a false sense of security before he takes me out with his amazing sniping skills.

Also, considering that the cult leader was the founder of Scientology (and thus evil [even if he did write some great sci-fi books]) I'd bet that we haven't seen the last of the cult.
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 5:23 am UTC

The Moo Prophet wrote:YOU DIRTY NINJA! I had just composed a post railing on you for voting with your feelings despite all your claims to dislike feeling-based votes that can't be "quantified." There goes my fun. Part of me wants to post it anyway.

Clearly I am a time traveler. I went into the future, saw your post, came back, and got mine in just in time. :wink:

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Oh, how exciting, a day one role claim!

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat May 22, 2010 5:26 am UTC

The Moo Prophet wrote:Oh, how exciting, a day one role claim!

Those always work well!
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat May 22, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Yeah, totally! The person claiming NEVER gets killed by ANYTHING! :D
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 am UTC

RoadieRich: I think that's all a pretty big stretch. I don't think this is Scientology-themed mafia. (I know that my role has nothing to do with Scientology, for instance.) I think that it was just another thing in a game with lots of things. And I really don't think the chain of events you described makes much sense. I just don't see where any of it's coming from.


phlip wrote:Hmm... I'm not convinced.

I did some more thinking. I'm pretty convinced. I don't think it's an uninvolved third party for a very simple reason: there's no motivation for an uninvolved third party to act. Unless the third party is town and knows both Az and JoJ are town (which I find extremely unlikely), then it's in that third party's interest to see unaffiliated people lynched. Where is that third party now? Here, still with a chance of now getting lynched today. I just can't come up with any possible motivation for an unaffiliated party to do this. Confusion can be sewn tomorrow or when it's necessary. Confusion now doesn't help people who aren't Az or JoJ.

I also don't think they're members of the same faction. It's not impossible, but as you said, it's not likely either, and if they are I don't see where the kill comes in.

So that leaves us with the powers to figure out. I think one person or faction controlled both of the disappearings, because I don't think it makes sense for that power to be widely distributed. Clearly one person/faction controlled the killing, since there was only one of those. I'm not certain on anything, but I think I can come to a couple of conclusions.

I think that JoJ is responsible for the disappearings. Az was winning the vote. JoJ wasn't. Az could have let it go through and been fine, and so JoJ had a lot more motivation to escape.

I think Az is responsible for the killing. This is somewhat predicated on JoJ having been the one doing the disappearing, but I really don't see any reason for JoJ to do both, and I also find it rather unlikely that any one person has both of those powers. What does Az have to gain? Well, that's a good question. I think that the answer is confusion, because I can't come up with anything else.

The thing that confuses me most is Az disappearing too. My guess is that JoJ didn't have complete control over this, because I really don't see how it benefits JoJ.


So I still have no idea what alignment JoJ is, but if this is correct, I think that Az is either an SK or scum. I don't think he's town, because causing confusion doesn't work in the town's favor and confusion is the only possible explanation I can come up with for that kill. I don't think he's cult, because he killed a cultist, and cults don't usually have access to kills. So the only things I can come up with now are an SK or scum with either a daykill or some kind of additional kill.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 6:42 am UTC

After having done another couple of skims through (yay procrastination):

vote: RoadieRich

Low post volume/content early is pretty typical for a newer player playing non-town, so that fits. That last post is really the reason I'm voting though. I think RR is either part of Brook's cult, or part of an Anonymous cult/other thing. (I really don't see Anonymous being town-aligned, if there is such a faction.) Knowing that my own role is not Scientology related, I don't see there being any other possible Scientology-related roles. And I don't see someone coming up with that post unless they do have a Scientology-related role.

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat May 22, 2010 6:51 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:(I really don't see Anonymous being town-aligned, if there is such a faction.)

Well, I can't really see them as town either, but they'd almost certainly be anti-Scientology and therefore help the town out (at least at first).

Then again, I also can't really see them in this game...but I didn't see L. Ron Hubbard coming either, so I'm not putting too much faith in that.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat May 22, 2010 6:53 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
b.i.o wrote:(I really don't see Anonymous being town-aligned, if there is such a faction.)

Well, I can't really see them as town either, but they'd almost certainly be anti-Scientology and therefore help the town out (at least at first).

Then again, I also can't really see them in this game...but I didn't see L. Ron Hubbard coming either, so I'm not putting too much faith in that.
I can see them being another cult, just one that's against the Scientology cult. Which would make them a threat, even if they do help us in some way.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I can see them being another cult, just one that's against the Scientology cult. Which would make them a threat, even if they do help us in some way.

This is my thinking.

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 7:00 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:Low post volume/content early is pretty typical for a newer player playing non-town, so that fits. That last post is really the reason I'm voting though. I think RR is either part of Brook's cult, or part of an Anonymous cult/other thing. (I really don't see Anonymous being town-aligned, if there is such a faction.) Knowing that my own role is not Scientology related, I don't see there being any other possible Scientology-related roles. And I don't see someone coming up with that post unless they do have a Scientology-related role.


Ok, but WHAT makes you think he is part of a cult? I don't see it. What is in his post that could only be invented by someone who had a Scientology role? Also, Low post volume/content early is pretty typical of a LOT of people in this game right now. So many that if they were all scum, we'd have already lost. I am very wary of the way you have been voting on whims, not giving much (if anything at all) to back up your votes. Both the votes on myself and on RoadieRich seem to be pretty much out of the blue. Your vote for Azrael001...you know what that was for....? It was for him voting without a reason.

I don't know if you aren't aware that you are starting to look like a walking contradiction, but I am pointing a large FOS at you, b.i.o.
Maybe I making a bigger deal of this than it is because it is so late, so, before I vote, anyone else seeing this? I'm gonna rethink when I wake up.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby felltir » Sat May 22, 2010 7:03 am UTC

Riiiight.Well. Um. That is very confusing. So we've lost 3 people. One of them a cult leader (good thing) the other two we don't know.

Well, I don't actually think that there's anyone left that I have any suspiscions of. I checked Roadie, and he just seems to be being a little to eager to make up theories, nothing more.I don't know. I'll look later.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

Megatriorchis
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC
Location: Hothlanta

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat May 22, 2010 7:04 am UTC

Also, I think the disappearing is a time traveler's ability and that J'o'J and Az are either both time travelers or one of them has the ability to take someone else with them. Which would make me assume they are on the same team if it's true. And it makes sense that either Az or J'o'J did the killing today. What better way is there to get away with killing and/or almost being lynched than time traveling? We were on to both of them, so they both went to some other time to avoid being taken out at the same time, and used another ability (which makes me strongly believe that one of them isn't a time traveler) on their way to the future.

Makes sense to me.

But then, none of that could be true and they might not even be time travelers, but some other...weird ability that makes them teleport or something...or maybe they're in limbo? Or maybe someone else teleported them or has them captured or made them disappear? I dunno. It seems fishy either way since they left at the same time and are specifically not dead.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 7:28 am UTC

This post is RR's Scientology one:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:Hmm, so we have a cult of scientology around.

If someone new appears, I suggest we watch them rather closely: Scientology believes an Assumption, which is just a fancy name for reincarnation. The Thetans also give a pretty good basis for having ghosts, although it would appear that BXM thinks himself to be out of the game - he appears to have been asking about reading spoilers in the discussion thread.

It also suggests another faction: Anonymous. Although not referenced in the flavour (but then neither was Scientology), Anonymous have set themselves against Scientology, so it would make sense for them to also appear in the game.

Amy, can you edit the OP to show deadness please?

What follows is nothing more than pure speculation, but might at least be entertaining for those in the know to read.

As soon as I saw we had beams of light, I thought, "Hmm, science." I then discovered we had Scientologists in the game. It's vague, but it's a possible connection. The chain of events could have gone something like this:
BXM targets JoJ with the blue rays.
JoJ uses his ability, which lets him kill the person targetting him.
The ability somehow bounces, and still needs to find a target (this may be hinted at by the reference to the beam "searching").
BXM (or maybe JoJ) name Az as the target.

Please feel free to make of that what you will... I'm not really sure what it would imply.

I just don't see that being written by someone who doesn't have some other stimulus for writing it. That's a reason. You may not like the reason, but it's a reason. My vote for you had a reason too. You didn't like the reason, but it was a reason. It's day 1. I don't expect amazing reasons, but I do expect something.

I said I voted for Az because he gave no reason at all. That wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the whole truth. I also voted for Az because I wanted to see how he'd react. I do this on day 1 pretty frequently. I chose Az because I saw an opening, and because I think Az is probably the most dangerous player in this game.

If this sounds self-contradictory...well, I don't really know what to do about that. It probably is, a bit, but I play this game almost entirely on intuition. If you want to vote for me for that, then vote for me.

User avatar
OverBored
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby OverBored » Sat May 22, 2010 8:35 am UTC

It wouldn't surprise me if the kill and the disappearances were unrelated. I also doubt the existence of this Anonymous group. It does ring a few alarm bells that such wide speculation took place, but not enough for me to start voting.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

User avatar
willwithskills
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:21 am UTC
Location: Cairo, Egypt

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby willwithskills » Sat May 22, 2010 10:40 am UTC

This is all... Very weird. I was planning on throwing down a vote at Az but that plan has been shot down. This whole possible time traveling thing makes me far more inclined to trust them, if they even ever come back into the game.

On the plus side, we probably don't have to worry about the cult anymore, unless they get a new leader. Even then, there can't be more than one cult member left. Unless there is another cult, which could be possible.

I'm not sure who to be suspicious of at this point. It's tempting to vote for felltir just to get this long day closer to finishing, but I honestly don't think that would be a good idea. I don't find felltir all that suspicious, at least not enough to warrant a vote under these new circumstances.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby felltir » Sat May 22, 2010 11:12 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:This is all... Very weird. I was planning on throwing down a vote at Az but that plan has been shot down. This whole possible time traveling thing makes me far more inclined to trust them, if they even ever come back into the game.

On the plus side, we probably don't have to worry about the cult anymore, unless they get a new leader. Even then, there can't be more than one cult member left. Unless there is another cult, which could be possible.

I'm not sure who to be suspicious of at this point. It's tempting to vote for felltir just to get this long day closer to finishing, but I honestly don't think that would be a good idea. I don't find felltir all that suspicious, at least not enough to warrant a vote under these new circumstances.


How does them being involved in something like this make you more likely to trust them?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Dr Ug
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Dr Ug » Sat May 22, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Woah. A lot just happened...

I'm not sure I'm convinced that the deaths and disappearances are linked (ie caused by the same person). I think they're much more likely to be unrelated. I think time traveller (travelling forwards in time, presumably to tomorrow, rather than back in time to change things that happened) makes the most sense for Az/JoJ, but the chances of our two lead lynch candidates both being time travellers is quite slim... (1/380 in fact). I think either someone else did it to them, or one of them did it to both of them. If it's the second option I think it's much more likely that Az was the time traveller as he expressly said he didn't think JoJ was a good lynch, so maybe he took him with him to prevent a lynch he didn't agree with. I'm also not sure how we're going from Az leaving / being removed means that he must be anti-town.

As for the whole scientology thing, I have to agree that I don't like the speculation from RoadieRich. I agree with b.i.o that it looks like his role is likely scientology-related, and I'm fairly sure that's likely to be anti-town, and I am very tempted to vote there. I know my role has nothing to do with Scientology, so I think it's likely that only the cult is scientology. I will be doing so as soon as I've conducted an experiment.

Vote: Jar'o'Jam

And a Fist of Suspicion on RR
.
Where did my old signature go? :(

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:This post is RR's Scientology one:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:Hmm, so we have a cult of scientology around.

If someone new appears, I suggest we watch them rather closely: Scientology believes an Assumption, which is just a fancy name for reincarnation. The Thetans also give a pretty good basis for having ghosts, although it would appear that BXM thinks himself to be out of the game - he appears to have been asking about reading spoilers in the discussion thread.

It also suggests another faction: Anonymous. Although not referenced in the flavour (but then neither was Scientology), Anonymous have set themselves against Scientology, so it would make sense for them to also appear in the game.

Amy, can you edit the OP to show deadness please?

What follows is nothing more than pure speculation, but might at least be entertaining for those in the know to read.

As soon as I saw we had beams of light, I thought, "Hmm, science." I then discovered we had Scientologists in the game. It's vague, but it's a possible connection. The chain of events could have gone something like this:
BXM targets JoJ with the blue rays.
JoJ uses his ability, which lets him kill the person targetting him.
The ability somehow bounces, and still needs to find a target (this may be hinted at by the reference to the beam "searching").
BXM (or maybe JoJ) name Az as the target.

Please feel free to make of that what you will... I'm not really sure what it would imply.

I just don't see that being written by someone who doesn't have some other stimulus for writing it. That's a reason. You may not like the reason, but it's a reason. My vote for you had a reason too. You didn't like the reason, but it was a reason. It's day 1. I don't expect amazing reasons, but I do expect something.

I said I voted for Az because he gave no reason at all. That wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the whole truth. I also voted for Az because I wanted to see how he'd react. I do this on day 1 pretty frequently. I chose Az because I saw an opening, and because I think Az is probably the most dangerous player in this game.

If this sounds self-contradictory...well, I don't really know what to do about that. It probably is, a bit, but I play this game almost entirely on intuition. If you want to vote for me for that, then vote for me.



I see what you mean about RR's post now. I was focusing on the second half before, didn't even notice the first part when his post was brought up later. To be fair, RoadieRich might actually be a Scientologist, in real life. Or maybe hate them enough to know about them. Or maybe he read a Wikipedia article.
I still don't agree that you would have to have a Scientology role to think of writing that post. He just seems to be using what he knows about them to tie them to known game mechanics. I think the most likely explanation is that he is a /b/tard. The idea of an Anonymous cult is about a big a stretch as the stuff about the lights targeting about bouncing around and all.

As far as your voting goes, I get that now too. You get your 'intuition' (whatever you want to call it) and then find a reason to match it/explain it/justify it, then vote on that reason that you found, however flimsy it might be. Whereas what I thought you meant by wanting reason for a vote, is more like what I try to do. You know, find reasons, then get enough reasons together to find someone suspicious to vote for.

I guess I'm just going to have to take your votes with a tablespoon of salt is all.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby felltir » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:*snip*
As for the whole scientology thing, I have to agree that I don't like the speculation from RoadieRich. I agree with b.i.o that it looks like his role is likely scientology-related, and I'm fairly sure that's likely to be anti-town, and I am very tempted to vote there. I know my role has nothing to do with Scientology, so I think it's likely that only the cult is scientology. I will be doing so as soon as I've conducted an experiment.

*snip*


Is this experiment in game, or RL?

The Moo Prophet wrote:I see what you mean about RR's post now. I was focusing on the second half before, didn't even notice the first part when his post was brought up later. To be fair, RoadieRich might actually be a Scientologist, in real life. Or maybe hate them enough to know about them. Or maybe he read a Wikipedia article.
I still don't agree that you would have to have a Scientology role to think of writing that post. He just seems to be using what he knows about them to tie them to known game mechanics. I think the most likely explanation is that he is a /b/tard. The idea of an Anonymous cult is about a big a stretch as the stuff about the lights targeting about bouncing around and all.


RR is a christian in real life, I believe.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:Vote: Jar'o'Jam

JoJ and Az are gone, for the day at least. We can't lynch either of them.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

Actually, now that I think for a moment, I'm pretty sure Dr Ug's experiment is voting for JoJ to see what happens. I'm pretty sure the answer will be nothing.

User avatar
OverBored
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby OverBored » Sat May 22, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:but the chances of our two lead lynch candidates both being time travellers is quite slim... (1/380 in fact)


This number is wrong. It would be exactly twice the probability if there were exactly two Time travellers, and even higher if there were more time travellers. Add to this the fact that we aren't guessing randomly, and that technically every possible outcome is "quite" unlikely, I don't think it is anywhere near as unlikely as you surmise. I'm not saying it isn't a coincidence, just not a huge one.

Anyway, on a more important note, I don't see why RR would bring up the Anonymous if he were scum or cult. It is an unusual thing to do, but i fail to see how it is scummy to bring up a group that is undoubtedly pro-town.

I can't decide whether I think JoJ and Az are scum. Do we think that time-travellers would be pro-town or anti-town? (or I suppose there could be some of each).

Final random comment: I would think that brook's death and role reveal means that the time-travellers are unlikely to be a cult in their own right, as well as unlikely to be in the cult at all (initially).
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 22, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

OverBored wrote:Anyway, on a more important note, I don't see why RR would bring up the Anonymous if he were scum or cult. It is an unusual thing to do, but i fail to see how it is scummy to bring up a group that is undoubtedly pro-town.

Anonymous is absolutely not undoubtedly pro-town if it exists. If it does, my guess is either cult or some other independent group.

I find the fact that RR made a whole huge post about Scientology suspicious because I know my role has nothing to do with Scientology. Yes, it's possible that he just came up with that out of nowhere, but I doubt it. I don't see someone making that post unless they have something else suggesting Scientology is a part of this game. Since it's day 1, that can really only be role-related. And I know that one Scientology-related faction isn't town, and am pretty sure the other possible one isn't either.

That his early-game play does match that of a newer non-town player just serves to solidify my suspicions.

User avatar
OverBored
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby OverBored » Sat May 22, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Okay, take that back. They're dicks. Serves me right for never actually looking up the group.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

User avatar
The Moo Prophet
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am UTC
Location: North Carolina (the good part)

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby The Moo Prophet » Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Well, I am still not the slightest bit convinced that Anonymous is a faction, much less that RR is a member of it, because his idea of Anon existing is just as much a leap as his theory about what the ionizing lights were and how they worked. If you claim that his idea of Anonymous existing to oppose Scientology came from him being a member of one group or the other, then you might suspect that his idea about the ionizing lights came from him having some knowledge of how they work. That would make him both Anonymous and time traveler/alien/whatever.

I do, however, agree that his posting pattern matches new scum, and his statement about wanting to active lurk has bothered me since he made it. I think his wild theories were an other way to try and generate neutral content. I am comfortable lynching him above other suspects today.

Vote: RoadieRich

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Whackabanana - Invitational: Day 1

Postby Sungura » Sat May 22, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Votals:
1 - Felltir (Vox)
2 - Roadie Rich (bio, TMP)

Also, if I may, a request, I have problems sometimes noticing bold text from plain text so if you could all try to put votes in this colour (0000BF or similar) as well it would be helpful to my little experiment if that make votal counting easier.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jimbobmacdoodle and 21 guests