Mafiaballs [Newbie]: Mafiaballs Win

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Dr Ug

Mafiaballs [Newbie]: Mafiaballs Win

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:20 am UTC

A ridiculously long time ago in a galaxy very,
very, very, very very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, far away...

there lived a ruthless race of beings known as...
Mafiaballs.

Mafiaballs
Chapter XXXI: Return of the Lynch Mob

The evil leaders of planet mafiaball, having
squandered their precious atmosphere, devised
a secret plan to take away every breath from
their neighbours on planet Druidia. The
previous plan had involved the construction of
and immense and complicated spaceship
known as Mafiaball One.

Unfortunately someone forgot to close door to
the self destruct button, and Dark Helmet's cat
got in. One thing lead to another, and Boom!
No more Mafiaball One.

Construction of Mafiaball Two quickly
ensued, however what with the Mafiaball
Financial Crisis and all, the budget for this one
was much less, and was more of slightly less
impressive. By which we mean that Mafiaball
One
could suck up a planet's atmosphere,
whereas Mafiaball Two could carry three
Mafiaballs from Planet Mafiaball to Druidia and
explode immediately after landing and it's
passengers dissembarking, leaving no means
for communication back to Planet Mafiaball, let
alone a means for summoning reinforcements
(and anyway, there was no Mafiaball Three.

But, I digress.

Today is Princess Vespa's wedding day. Her
father, King Roland, got a really good deal for
the wedding to be held on Planet Vegus. Most
of the planet was invited, so King Roland hired
Lone Starr (who is desperately in debt to the
loan shark Pizza the Hut) to defend the planet.
He also left him a few guards, all of whom were
mysteriously dressed in red shirts, to help.

Whilst Lone Starr and Barf were making use of
the royal cable subscription, a message
suddenly appeared on the screen:

How are you, Lone Starr?
I see King Roland has left you in charge.
All his air are belong to us.
We are on the way to destruction.
So we are take your air.
Ha ha ha ha ...

Also, your cat is dead.
I don't like cats.
One blew up my ship!

Lone Starr turned to Barf to comment about
how strange this episode of Druidia's Next Top
Model was, only to see him float up off the floor,
grasping at his throat as if he couldn't breathe.
He then dropped to the floor, dead.

Lone Starr immediately leapt into action,
summoning the rest of the guards.
Unfortunately, he hadn't introduced himself to
them before, and there now appeared to be
three more than there should be. Rather than
waste time looking up identity cards and such,
he immediately ordered that a lynch mob be
formed, in order to find the Mafiaball infiltrators.

If you can read this you don’t need glasses

How to play
Spoiler:
(Stolen from various newbie games, original version written by Vox)

Mafia, also known as Werewolf (to infidels, we shall not speak of them), is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small group of innocent people, but hidden among them is a group of nasty mafiosos, whose sole goal is to have at least 50% of the population belong to their organization so that they can control the lynch-votes. Since they cannot recruit people, the only way to achieve this is bloody murder, but not more than one per night. The rest of the town uses their deductive abilities, along with some special roles, to find these infiltrators and lynch them.

Lynch Voting (“Day”)
This is a lawless place, and the only form of justice is the old-fashioned lynch mob. Every "day" (the game takes place in alternating phases of day and night), the town chooses a member to hang with a simple majority vote. For the more peaceful towns, "no lynch" is also a valid vote. After the mob has strung up the citizen, his body will be investigated overnight and it will be announced if the town hanged a member of the Mafia or an innocent townie the next morning. There are no "takebacks", once a majority vote has been reached, even for one minute, the "day" is over and the “night” begins.

You must bold your vote and place it on a separate line (in other words, it is not my fault if I miss it and therefore do not count it in the official tally if it doesn’t follow that format).

Example:
I think Vox Imperatoris is dirty Mafia scum because he said he was the cop, then later said he was the doctor.

Vote: Vox Imperatoris
I changed my mind now, it's definitely MichaelandJimi because he said he wasn't playing but he is, he's a dirty liar!

Unvote: Vox Imperatoris
Vote: MichaelandJimi

Night—when everything else happens:
People who are not just regular Townies (that will be about half of you), have special powers that are used at night. The most important of these is that of the Mafia, but there are also other roles that the town has such as cops, doctors, etc. that have night actions.

The roles that exist in this game are spelled out in the next section.

Mafia:
The mafia can confer through PM (private messages) at night only (this part requires the honor code, so please don't ruin the game) about whom they plan to kill; when they reach a unanimous decision, they will PM it to me and I will record it secretly. You also have the benefit of knowing who the other mafia members are - but you should try to avoid letting this information slip in the main thread, for obvious reasons. If you receive the role of a Mafia member, you must try especially hard to blend in with the others and subtly place the blame elsewhere. Too little, and the lynch mob will eventually find you; try to take control of it on the first day, and the mob will start to wonder why the Mafia hasn't killed you.

In case there is no unanimous decision on who to lynch, the godfather has the deciding vote on who to lynch. If the godfather dies, this deciding vote is inherited by the roleblocker.

Town:
The town cannot PM each other (at least in this version of the game). The town also don’t know who the other town members are. There are a few “power roles” in the town (ie the Doctor and the Cop), with special powers that are helpful to town (as well as a “miller” who is less helpful). These roles are detailed below in the Role PMs section.

As Town your main job is to find scum (the Mafiaballs) and lynch them. You do not have to survive to win, just so long as all the Mafiaballs are dead before all the townies are. (Note that if the scum at any point reach greater or equal numbers with town, this is a scum win). Finding scum can be very hard to do, but analysis is your friend. If you’re not sure what to do, reading some of the other games that have been played on this forum can be helpful, as can several wiki’s on the web (including this one).

Good luck!

Roles:
Spoiler:
Mafia (3 players)::
President Skroob (Godfather)
Dark Helmet (Roleblocker)
Colonel Sandurz (Goon)

Town (9 players):
Lone Starr (Cop)
Yogurt (Doctor)
Pizza The Hut (Miller)
Redshirt guards (Vanilla Town) x 6

Role PMs
Spoiler:
President Skroob (Godfather)
You are President Skroob, the leader of the Mafiaballs. You had ordered Dark Helmet to deal with your air problem by stealing the air from nearby Planet Druidia. He managed to get your ship blown up before it had left Planet Mafiaball. So this time you will supervise his efforts directly.

Luckily you were employed by King Roland as a Judge on the most recent season of Druidian Idol, and so when Lone Starr looks up your employment record, you will have one.

You appear as town when investigated by the cop. You also have the deciding vote for the Mafiaball’s night kill (NK). Once a decision has been made about the NK, you should PM me with the target like this:
Skroob wrote:NK: Dr Ug
You can PM with the other Mafiaballs [Names Redacted] (only at night, and remember to CC: me on all PMs).

You win when all non-Mafiaballs are dead, or it is inevitable that this will occur.

Dark Helmet (Roleblocker)
You are Dark Helmet, master of the down side of the Schwartz. You should have been the leader of this expedition, if it weren’t for your damn cat. Man you hate cats. It was a little satisfying taking the life of that furball Barf...

Although you find it humiliating to be directly supervised by President Skroob, you will do as you’re told. You hope to get in his good books by showing off your mastery of the Schwartz by strangling other players

You are a roleblocker. Once per night you may target another player to roleblock. You do this by sending me a PM like this:
Dark Helmet wrote:Roleblock: Dr Ug
If the player you targetted with your roleblock has night action (i.e. cop or doctor), that action will be blocked. You can PM with the other Mafiaballs [Names Redacted] (only at night, and remember to CC: me on all PMs).

You win when all non-Mafiaballs are dead, or it is inevitable that this will occur.

Colonel Sandurz (Goon)
You used to have a good job. You used to be Dark Helmet’s second in command. Well you still are, it’s just that with the decreased capacity of Mafiaball Two, and with President Skroob taking up the third seat, you don’t have any underlings to boss around. You do get to hold the “Deathinator” (actually just a club), and will be the one responsible for killing whoever Skroob decides needs to be killed

You are a mafia goon. You don’t have any special powers. You can PM with the other Mafiaballs [Names Redacted] (only at night, and remember to CC: me on all PMs). You perform the Mafiaballs’ NK each night.

Town:
Lone Starr (Cop):
You aren’t exactly what anyone would call a financial guru. Through your various schemes over the years, you have found yourself heavily indebted to a loan shark by the name of Pizza the Hut. He has given you one week to repay your debt, or else - see?

Luckily you were hired to planet-sit for King Roland while he attended his daughter’s wedding on Planet Vegus. It pays very well, and King Roland has cable.

Unfortunately this issue with the Mafiaballs has come up and ruined your day.

And now your cat is dead.

Luckily you have access to the guard employment records, and can check if they are employed by King Roland or not.

You are a cop. You may PM the name of one player each night like this:
Lone Starr wrote:Cop: Dr Ug
and will be told a result, Scum or Town. Unfortunately, if you investigate the Godfather, you will be told Town, and if you investigate the miller, you will be told Scum.

You win when all the Mafiaballs are dead.

Yogurt (Doctor):
You’re a bit confused. Your script told you that you were going to be visitted by Lone Starr and you would teach him to use The Schwartz (and maybe sell him some merchandise). He never turned up, so you’ve tried to track him down to find out what happened.

And then all this schmutz with the Mafiaballs happened. You still haven’t managed to find Lone Starr, but being a master of the Up side of the Schwartz, you can protect one player per night from the Mafiaball’s “Deathinator”.

Also, due to a contract with King Roland to manufacture Princess Vespa figurines, you are on Druidia’s payroll records, and so will appear as town if investigated by Lone Starr.

You are the Doctor. You may protect one player per night from the NK, by sending me a PM like this:
Yogurt wrote:Protect: Dr Ug
That player will not be killed that night if they are targetted by the Mafiaballs for their NK.

Pizza The Hut (Miller)
No-one ever understands the Lone Shark. You have come to Druidia after tracking down Lone Starr to make sure he repays his debt to you. You didn’t need to get caught up in this mess with the Mafiaballs.

Unfortunately, not being an employee of King Roland, you won’t show up on the employment records.

You are a Miller. This means that if you are investigated by the Cop, he will receive a result of Scum, even though you are actually town.

Redshirt Guards (Vanilla Town)
You drew the short straw and had to miss out on Princess Vespa’s wedding, unlike the rest of the planet. Instead you had to remain behind on Planet Druidia as guards.

And then the Mafiaballs showed up. Damn. And the uniform had to be red, too...

You are vanilla town. You have no special powers.

You win when all Mafiaballs are dead

Rules:
Spoiler:
These are the standard rules, modified slightly by mods for each game (and also originally written by Vox):

1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD. Spoiler any posts about the game in the discussion thread and DO NOT READ SPOILERS IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE. You are still alive until I say you are dead. You may PM if and only if explicitly stated in your role description (all PMs must be cc'd to me).
3. Please stay (at least mostly) on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers REALLY PISS ME OFF. We have replacement players just in case real life gets in the way of your mafia playing.
4a. if you don't post in the thread for 5 consecutive days, you will receive a mod prod with 48 hours to respond. If you don't respond in 48 hours you will be replaced or modkilled.
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in spoilers in the discussion thread for outside analysis. (*grabbing popcorn* is okay, just don't be too disruptive.)
6. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the thread AT ALL please do not post anything of content in the thread. *sleeps* posts, etc, I don't care. Talking is fine. Just don't make analysis or accusation type posts - i.e. no content posting once I call night.
7. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
8. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
9. You may not edit your posts.

Players:
Spoiler:
9. phlip - Survived - President Skroob, Mafia Godfather

Dead Players:
Spoiler:
11. _infina_ - lynched D1 - Dark Helmet, Mafia Roleblocker
1. arduous - NK N1 - Lone Star, Town Cop
10. Two-Fry - lynched D2 - Colonel Sandurz, Mafia Goon
5. ElectricHaze - NK N2 - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
2. meatyochre crucialityfactor - modkilled D3 for inactivity - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
4. blackfuse81 legologos - modkilled D3 for inactivity - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
7. tastelikecoke - lynched D3 - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
12. BigNose - NK N3 - Yogurt, Town Doctor
8. Dark Loink - modkilled D4 for inactivity - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
3. <nyssa> - lynched D4 - Red-shirt Guard, Vanilla Town
6. Misnomer - Killed at Endgame - Pizza the Hut, Town Miller

Role PMs are going out now. The game will start as soon as they are all out (I will post here to confirm this has happened) PMs out.

Day 1 starts now (no need to confirm - I can see if you've read your PMs).
Last edited by Dr Ug on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Where did my old signature go? :(

Dr Ug

Re: Mafiaballs [Newbie]: Chapter XXXI: Return of the Lynch M

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 am UTC

All Roles are out. Day 1 starts now.
Where did my old signature go? :(

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:41 am UTC

Alright...I'd say we probably have a godfather, knowing the set-up. Dark Helmut would probably be some sort of...roleblocker of sorts. There are probably 6 vanil-
Yeah. So open set-up. This is my confirming, I don't really have much to comment on as of yet. But cool.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:49 am UTC

Ok, we have a whale in the room, as well as a dead cat. Three mafia: a GF, a RB, and a vanilla goon. The way it is written, it appears that if the goon is lynched, the mafia loses the kill, but I doubt that that is the case.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:52 am UTC

Posting quickly to get this into the egosearch... I'll post my thoughts on the role list later, when I get the chance to think about it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Rightio, well, this is my first mafia game, but thankfully I'm familiar with the flavour and its a completely open set up, so that should help. As for comments, I'm not sure there's much to say as yet, but its interesting that we have a miller, I've never seen that role before, someone who comes up scum when they're actually town.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:14 am UTC

It's curious to me that a miller and godfather are both included in a smallish game. They're both interesting roles and the flavor context explains well why the miller is not on the payroll and why the godfather was, at one point. But the way both roles seem to function is anti-town. Because the mafiaballs will be protected if either the miller or godfather get copped. Unfortunate.

It's pretty cool to be in a wide-open setup like this for a change; the couple games I've played were mostly closed. It gives vanilla town a lot more information on scum (and conversely, gives scum more information on town power roles--it's a double bladed sword!). However, we do lose the ability to role-spec, which is what tends to comprise a lot of D1 conversation. Here's hoping D1 isn't totally dead.

What else can we talk about, since we know roles already?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:19 am UTC

I don't need glasses :)

Thoughts on roles: The miller, while a pain in the ass, shouldn't effect our strategy. If someone comes up mafia on a cop, we should lynch them (in the absence of a counterclaim) despite the inevitable claim of miller. The presence of a roleblocker and a godfather makes playing follow the cop impossible; though if the cop finds the roleblocker early, it gives us a good chance of getting the goon to. The cop probably should claim despite the possibility of finding the miller, as there's a 2/3 chance of a scum resulting being scum (plus, hopefully the cop will select targets more likely to be scum)
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 am UTC

I also meant to ask, did the guards in the Spaceballs movie actually wear red shirts? I don't recall them, if so. Is it just a comical nod by Dr. Ug to Star Trek?

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 am UTC

Howdy yall, checking in. I'm wondering, is it a good idea for miller to claim D1? I can't see it being more harmful than helpful.

Scenario A: We get 1 miller claim. We should be able to trust it and therefore have a confirmed town, and lose the disadvantage of having a miller afoot.
Scenario B: We get multiple miller claims. We can't trust 'em, so we lynch one. If it comes up miller, we lynch the other claim(s).

The downside is that we slightly narrow the pool of possible power roles. I personally think its a worthwhile trade off. Opinions?

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 am UTC

I think having the miller claim is a good idea

blackfuse81

Postby blackfuse81 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I agree with the miller claim as well

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Is there a suggestion to follow the cop? I must warn you to be wary of any cop claims. I was NKed because of a false cop claim that I wanted to test. I disagree with having the miller claim. To much wine will follow. Just two miller claims will give the mafia enough time to pick off Yogurt and Lone Starr, leaving you with not much to go on.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Well, assuming that only scum will false claim, we actually want them to claim miller, as it identifies them immediately. 2 miller claims, assuming no NKs are blocked, would put us at D3 with 7 Town and 2 Scum or D2 with 8 Town and 2 Scum. A False cop claim would also have the effect of sacrificing a Town to get a Scum, which is a good proposition when scum are outnumbered 3 to 1

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Is there a suggestion to follow the cop? I must warn you to be wary of any cop claims. I was NKed because of a false cop claim that I wanted to test. I disagree with having the miller claim. To much wine will follow. Just two miller claims will give the mafia enough time to pick off Yogurt and Lone Starr, leaving you with not much to go on.

Well, first of all, we can't do follow the cop because there is a roleblock.
Second, if we have two miller claims then there is a 50% chance we get a free mafia kill, and otherwise we trade a miller lynch for a mafia kill.
Third, if we're going to assume that we're going to lose Yogurt followed by Lone Starr, we're pretty screwed no matter what we do.

Am I the only one who pinged got the biggest ping ever from _Infina_'s post?

Brings up FTC(and doesn't condemn it) when a rolebocker is afoot, tells town to be wary of cop claims(with reasoning that it might be a townie falseclaiming cop?), and opposes the miller claim, on grounds that clearing the wine(and getting rid of a scum and miller in the process and worst case scenario, best case just getting scum and confirming the miller) would give the scum time to happen to kill off all our power roles. I can't find a single part of the post that isn't a scum tell.

Heck, I think this would warrant a Vote: _Infina_

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Confirming. Just went on a 5 hour star craft 2 binge, tired now. Will post actual thoughts later.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

blackfuse81

Postby blackfuse81 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 am UTC

I think the fact that _infinia_ is disagreeing with a strategy that goes against scum without really good reason is good enough for me.
Vote: _Infinia_

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:32 am UTC

The false cop problem is two-fold. No counter-claim, and a false cop can lead the town against one of its own, or off from another scum. A counter-claim will out the real cop to scum, and will allow the scum to nk the cop, if he is not the one lynched. Losing even 1 town is unacceptable, so the doc had better be good. I strive for perfection.

ninja'd x 2

Did you read Diablo Mafia. If you did, you would see why I am wary of cops. The first sentence was my condemning it. Someone claiming miller now will just lead to lynching them, and otherwise the cop would declare them scum for them to claim, opening the scum up a chance at a kill. And I was thinking more along the lines of the GF false claiming. Confirming miller? Are you serious? What if both non-GF scum claim miller? Did you think of that? I think you are the scum.

Vote:arduous
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:51 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:The false cop problem is two-fold. No counter-claim, and a false cop can lead the town against one of its own, or off from another scum. A counter-claim will out the real cop to scum, and will allow the scum to nk the cop, if he is not the one lynched.

I wouldn't consider the possibility of no counter-claim to a false cop claim. A note to the real cop- if somebody else claims cop, call them on it!
In a game of 9v3, I'd be willing to trade the cop for a scum. We can't write off cop claims because the mafia can false claim. There is not point to even having a cop if that's the case!

_infina_ wrote: Losing even 1 town is unacceptable, so the doc had better be good. I strive for perfection.

I'm going to take this as a joke. I hope you honestly aren't saying that we shouldn't employ any strategy that has a chance of killing a town.

_infina_ wrote:Did you read Diablo Mafia. If you did, you would see why I am wary of cops. The first sentence was my condemning it.

I did read Diablo. That game is very different as there were spies that got the cop results.

_infina_ wrote: Someone claiming miller now will just lead to lynching them, and otherwise the cop would declare them scum for them to claim, opening the scum up a chance at a kill. And I was thinking more along the lines of the GF false claiming. Confirming miller? Are you serious? What if both non-GF scum claim miller? Did you think of that? I think you are the scum.

The point of miller claiming is that we wouldn't need the cop to investigate them. If you know somebody will come up scum, why cop them? And yes, it's pretty safe to say that if only one person claims miller, that person is the miller. A confirmed miller. And I did consider both non-GF scum claiming. That's the best case scenario. We get to lynch two mafia, with a chance that we also lynch the miller. I would love for that scenario to occur.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I don't want to turn this into one of those D1 arguments where both participants become prime lynch candidates. It gives the scum to much of a chance to push both through. I will wait until everyone else has a chance at posting first before making anymore rash decisions. I'm not joking about the not losing a single town. I want the town to win without a loss. In my first game I allowed the mafia to win without a loss. I want to reverse that for this game.
unvote
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Someone claiming miller now will just lead to lynching them, and otherwise the cop would declare them scum for them to claim, opening the scum up a chance at a kill. And I was thinking more along the lines of the GF false claiming. Confirming miller? Are you serious? What if both non-GF scum claim miller? Did you think of that? I think you are the scum.

I made a similar mistake to this in my first newbie game... thinking "but what if the scum falseclaims and the real role doesn't claim?"... 'course, that was with actual power-roles, not a miller, and it was in the late game, but the principle's the same.

The point is that the miller wants the town to win, and doesn't have to survive to win. If a townie can do something to increase the chance of a town win, even at the expense of their own survival, it makes sense for them to do it. If everyone in the town agrees that a miller claim would be a good thing for town, then when the miller claims come in, one of them will be real. The possibility of "one of the scum claims miller but the real miller stays silent" is removed from the table because the miller wants the town to win, and staying silent (especially given the discussion saying that a miller claim would be good) would harm the town.
So if we only get one claim, it's going to be the miller... and we then have a confirmed townie, better chances of lynching and copping scum, and knowledge that if a cop result comes up scum then it's real - benefits all around (even if the miller is NKed, which they might be... on one hand, they're no power role, but on the other hand, they're a confirmed townie, which is harmful to scum in and of itself). And if we get multiple claims, then all the ones that aren't real will be scum, and we can lynch all the claimers (unless we happen to lynch the scum first, in which case the remaining claimer is the true miller)... in which case, we have a lynched scum member, and again know who the miller is (be they alive or dead) and be able to rely on cop scum results.

In short: I think a miller claim is good, and should happen D1, so the cop doesn't have a chance to waste investigations on someone who'll later claim anyway. But even if the discussion goes the other way, and we decide against miller claiming for whatever reason, then if, later, the scum does falseclaim, the real miller should counterclaim as soon as possible anyway, to clear up the mud.

I really think you're flying off the handle a bit much, infina... from what I understand, crazy behaviour is par for the course for you, so I'm not voting yet, but IGMEOY.

[he/him/his]

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:The false cop problem is two-fold. No counter-claim, and a false cop can lead the town against one of its own, or off from another scum. A counter-claim will out the real cop to scum, and will allow the scum to nk the cop, if he is not the one lynched. Losing even 1 town is unacceptable, so the doc had better be good. I strive for perfection.

ninja'd x 2

Did you read Diablo Mafia. If you did, you would see why I am wary of cops. The first sentence was my condemning it. Someone claiming miller now will just lead to lynching them, and otherwise the cop would declare them scum for them to claim, opening the scum up a chance at a kill. And I was thinking more along the lines of the GF false claiming. Confirming miller? Are you serious? What if both non-GF scum claim miller? Did you think of that? I think you are the scum.

Look, the way it stands at the moment, the cop can't trust his own investigations, there's always the chance of him hitting the miller or the godfather, who's investigation results are reversed. So it's helpful to town for the miller to claim, then if we only have one claim, we know who the miller is and can effectively cop scum. If we have two claims, we pick one to lynch, and whatever happens we will end up knowing who the miller is (whether he's alive or not), having lynched a scum member and being able to trust any further investigations that come up scum. More than two claims would just be silly - even if we happen to lynch the real miller on the first night, we then know who the other two non-GF scum are. I don't think they would do that. Infina, I think you're protesting a lot. I also can't see a scenario in which we don't lose any town.
Also I managed to be ninja'd a lot by phlip. My argument runs the same, but his is better written :P.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 am UTC

My crazy really exploded in 8-bit. I edited away, as it was a spoiler. I think I plugged the leak for a bit. I must say, the miller may go against the wishes of the town and decide not to claim even if we want such a claim to happen. There are ways the mafia could trick us into believing one of them was the cop, with the cop being useless to counterclaim, even if it is only for a few days before we catch on.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:I must say, the miller may go against the wishes of the town and decide not to claim even if we want such a claim to happen.

But I don't see why they would... sure, they'd have a better chance of surviving in the short term by avoiding the lynch, but they'd be severely damaging the town's (and thus their own) chance of winning the whole game. The phrase "win the battle, lose the war" comes to mind.

I mean, it's not like the miller's going to be zerker, he's not even in this game.

[he/him/his]

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:59 am UTC

phlip wrote:
_infina_ wrote:I must say, the miller may go against the wishes of the town and decide not to claim even if we want such a claim to happen.

But I don't see why they would... sure, they'd have a better chance of surviving in the short term by avoiding the lynch, but they'd be severely damaging the town's (and thus their own) chance of winning the whole game. The phrase "win the battle, lose the war" comes to mind.

I mean, it's not like the miller's going to be zerker, he's not even in this game.

And thank the mod for that, but you never know when something like that might happen.
We could always lynch the miller right away to prevent scum from using it as an excuse, but that is a town player down first thing. Not the best way to start a game, but could always be worse.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:My crazy really exploded in 8-bit. I edited away, as it was a spoiler. I think I plugged the leak for a bit. I must say, the miller may go against the wishes of the town and decide not to claim even if we want such a claim to happen. There are ways the mafia could trick us into believing one of them was the cop, with the cop being useless to counterclaim, even if it is only for a few days before we catch on.

So let me see how people feel about miller claiming.
Yes- phlip, <nyssa>, two-fry, myself
No- _infina_

By the way, if we do end up going miller claim, let's do our best to clear that up right now. IF YOU ARE THE MILLER, AND SOMEBODY ELSE CLAIMS MILLER, CALL THEM ON IT.
While we're at it, THIS GOES FOR COP TOO.
It does NOT go for doctor. If scum knew that doctor would counter-claim if challenged, scum would always claim doctor if they are about to be lynched. Thus, it would make it so that if we were ever about to lynch a scum, they could claim doctor and take out our doctor when they would have otherwise just been lynched.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am UTC

Incase you didn't notice, that last post was me changing my mind.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
phlip wrote:

And thank the mod for that, but you never know when something like that might happen.
We could always lynch the miller right away to prevent scum from using it as an excuse, but that is a town player down first thing. Not the best way to start a game, but could always be worse.

I've been ninja'd!

I really don't think we need to consider that the miller wouldn't claim, it's been made abundantly clear that that would be a BAD move for both the miller and the town.

_infina_, the more I read your posts the more it seems like you are making any excuse possible to prevent using a ploy that is helpful to the town, or trying to redirect, or suggest a bad strategy. If miller claims, and we only get 1 claim, there is absolutely no reason to lynch them. We know they are town. Lynching them because they are the miller is a terrible strategy. It's as you said, one town player down first thing, not the best way to start a game. The point is that not only do we know who the miller is, so we can avoid future mis-cops, but that the scum would also not be able to claim miller down the road.

arduous

Postby arduous » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:18 am UTC

ninja'd again!

Ok, so that's 5 yes and 0 no. It should be safe to assume that whoever is the miller can go ahead and claim.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 am UTC

I agree that a miller claim would be prudent. As I stated in my earlier post, having both a miller and godfather up at the same time tends to hurt town because the cop is rendered impotent. GF would never claim, of course, so the only alternative to clear up some of this muddiness is a miller claim.

I do think that, considering this is a newbie game, assuming that the miller would be wholly rational and playing strictly to benefit town/win the game may be a stretch. Role-claiming paints a target on oneself to be NKd, and being killed on day one sucks if it's your first game. I know that in my first game (Diablo), I tried very, very hard not to die on the first day. I was scum (and a replacement) in that game, and I went so far as to try to bandwagon a lynch on a fellow scum with powers rather than be lynched myself (I had no powers), only because I really wanted the experience of playing the game. So I am familiar with the influence wanting to participate can have on rational behavior. Hopefully our miller is willing to put him/herself at risk by claiming, though. It makes sense that if Pizza were to claim, he/she'd be the best target for the doctor to protect at night. As long as the doc didn't get roleblocked.

So whoever is the doctor, ought to consider protecting the miller tonight.

Additionally, if Pizza does not make a legitimate miller claim soon, I imagine a scum will decide to false claim. Ergo, mud. So, if you're going to claim, Pizza, please do it asap!

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am UTC

WOW.
Lots of input, nice to see.

Regarding the Miller role-claiming, on a personal/meta-gaming basis, I would prefer the Miller not to role-claim because that loses some of the mystery of the process of playing the game. From a Townie point of view, I can understand the reason to claim and can't condemn it.
If the Miller claims, then either if there is a counter-claim, we (potentially) lose 3 Town for 1 scum (2 x lynch, 2 x NK), or if not, then we lose 1 Townie (NK) and have to consider who else to lynch D1.
Should the Doctor save the Miller if he is the only claim? The Doctor should be aiming to save the cop, but at D1, that is an unlikely target, so probably for N1, Doctoring the single-claim Miller is probably correct.
The problem with that is that the scum now have a greater chance of getting the Doctor or Cop, as the Miller gets written off the NK list.
Certainly, if the scum claim Miller, then the real Miller MUST counter-claim and hope he avoids the lynch.

On other points:
Dark Loink wrote:Alright...I'd say we probably have a godfather, knowing the set-up. Dark Helmut would probably be some sort of...roleblocker of sorts. There are probably 6 vanil-
Yeah. So open set-up. This is my confirming, I don't really have much to comment on as of yet. But cool.
Please make sure you do comment. One thing I do and will push on, is lack of posts and lack of content.

Finally, I need to look more into the Arduous/Infina back and forth.
This isn't a turbo.

I will be away from 31/07 to 08/08. I may get chance to get a quick post in that time.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am UTC

Posting to confirm and not much else atm. This my first mafia game on xkcd and it's a very different play style from what I'm used to - normally in the games I play role-revealing is the ultimate sin, so the arguments about the Miller coming out on day 1 is new territory for me. I'm also surprised by how quickly lynch votes have started flying. Anyways, I'm gonna look at a few of the other games so as to try and get a feel for what counts as 'normal behaviour' before coming to any decisions just yet.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

I'll read this whole block of texts in a later moment. But I guess it's a free time so wait for me!

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

Right, after doing some background reading...

Claim: Miller

If nobody challenges, then I haven't lost anything and am less likely to be lynched. If the scum counter-claims, then they either get lynched today or tomorrow. Either way it works out pretty good for the town.

For the record though, I would rather not be lynched on the first day! :wink:
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Add me to the whole group of Miller claim supporters. Pros: Cop can trust his scum results, might out a scum if there is a false claim Cons: Slightly smaller pool of targets for our cop to hide in making it slightly more likely he could be hit by a random NK. The only other thing I can add here is that if the miller claims he should NOT be doctored. The miller is essentially a vanilla townie once he has claimed, and our doctor should not be tied up protecting him. Plus having the doctor protect someone else forces scum to make a decision to kill a "vanilla" town or possibly get their NK blocked trying to go after a power role.

2 things that pinged me a bit.
_infina_ wrote:We could always lynch the miller right away to prevent scum from using it as an excuse, but that is a town player down first thing. Not the best way to start a game, but could always be worse.

Infina has consistently shown some crazy logic, but I don't think I've seen him go crazy enough to think that purposely lynching a townie would be the correct move. So FoS: _infina_

Next:
BigNose wrote: From a Townie point of view, I can understand the reason to claim and can't condemn it.

Does this imply that you are not normally looking at things in this game from a townie point of view?

ninja'd:
well there's the claim, sorry for suggesting we leave you for the wolves by not doctoring you, but I think it would be in the best interests of the town.
I don't normally consider these to be huge tells, but it could be a slip up so IGMEOY.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

ElectricHaze wrote:Next:
BigNose wrote: From a Townie point of view, I can understand the reason to claim and can't condemn it.

Does this imply that you are not normally looking at things in this game from a townie point of view?

LOL no. I was just stating that I had 2 points of view, the meta-gaming view and the Townie view.
I sometimes look at the game from a scum point of view, mainly when I am scum (obviously), but also when I am Town.
It's good to think 'what might scum do?'.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

I don't know about your claim Misnomer, We could had had a little D1 chat first before roleclaiming, so pings of scum might have been clearer. But we can't go back in time can we?

So arduous and infina argued with each other, and Bignose had probably said everything about miller claims. I think the miller should claim. I don't know what will we do after that.
Isn't keeping the miller alive an anti-town move? It provides a lot of wine.
We could just ignore the miller and hope that the miller acts townie enough so he isn't copped. It's good meta-game-wise too.

Anyway that's some thoughts for me.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

ElectricHaze wrote:ninja'd:
well there's the claim, sorry for suggesting we leave you for the wolves by not doctoring you, but I think it would be in the best interests of the town.
I don't normally consider these to be huge tells, but it could be a slip up so IGMEOY.

Fair enough, I'm in the mind to agree with you. While obviously I won't object if the doctor wants to protect me, there's probably someone more useful they could protect, especially as I'm unlikely to be high up on the mafia's kill list.

tastelikecoke wrote:I don't know about your claim Misnomer, We could had had a little D1 chat first before roleclaiming, so pings of scum might have been clearer. But we can't go back in time can we?

Mea culpa. The impression I got from past games was that a Miller either needs to claim early on the first day or not claim at all. And since there seemed to be such an early clamour for the Miller to reveal, I thought I'd best do so.

tastelikecoke wrote:Isn't keeping the miller alive an anti-town move? It provides a lot of wine.

Surely lynching a player on the town's side is more of an anti-town move? :P

If somebody counter-claims me, then yes, one of us would need to be lynched. But if nobody does, it should be safe to assume then that I am the Miller, so there'd be no reason why it would generate any excess wine - if anything, it would leave me under less suspicion than your average townie.

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Wow, thats a lot of posts. In...about 11 hours. Wow. Are you sure this isn't a turbo game? :P
Anyways, a lot of posts, which is good-something to comment on. Now here is my reaction to pretty much the entire game so far.

Millers: A problem, in basicly any game. That claim always comes with wine, and can not come without, unless only a godfather is left.
Follow the cop is not impossible-when the cop finds scum, or if the roleblocker is...dead. Then there should not be a problem, but still, there are such things as false claims. So, you always have to really pay attention and think about cop claims, because there is always a good chance of a false one. Yet there is a good chance of a real one as well.
_infina_ wrote:Is there a suggestion to follow the cop? I must warn you to be wary of any cop claims. I was NKed because of a false cop claim that I wanted to test. I disagree with having the miller claim. To much wine will follow. Just two miller claims will give the mafia enough time to pick off Yogurt and Lone Starr, leaving you with not much to go on.

Yeah. False cop claims happen. If we had cop claims from people, it get confusing, but interesting. But right on the next post

arduous wrote:

Well, first of all, we can't do follow the cop because there is a roleblock.
Second, if we have two miller claims then there is a 50% chance we get a free mafia kill, and otherwise we trade a miller lynch for a mafia kill.
Third, if we're going to assume that we're going to lose Yogurt followed by Lone Starr, we're pretty screwed no matter what we do.

Am I the only one who pinged got the biggest ping ever from _Infina_'s post?

Brings up FTC(and doesn't condemn it) when a rolebocker is afoot, tells town to be wary of cop claims(with reasoning that it might be a townie falseclaiming cop?), and opposes the miller claim, on grounds that clearing the wine(and getting rid of a scum and miller in the process and worst case scenario, best case just getting scum and confirming the miller) would give the scum time to happen to kill off all our power roles. I can't find a single part of the post that isn't a scum tell.

Heck, I think this would warrant a Vote: _Infina_

And now we have this. Infinia says he was night killed because of a false cop claim. Was he townie in that game? Because...trying to make cops seem scummy is not a good townie move. While I agreed with some of the points, this did seem a bit much like making the cop untrustworthy, in one of his first posts. :shock: So I can see why you think this is scummy.
_infina_ wrote:The false cop problem is two-fold. No counter-claim, and a false cop can lead the town against one of its own, or off from another scum. A counter-claim will out the real cop to scum, and will allow the scum to nk the cop, if he is not the one lynched. Losing even 1 town is unacceptable, so the doc had better be good. I strive for perfection.

ninja'd x 2

OMGUS. Great. This opens discussion though...so my thoughts on this.
Again, he immidetly votes the guy who voted him. Not the towniest behavior...but infinia isn't the towniest person, far as I know.
If both scum claimed miller. I suppose it is possible. This post has good points but...
_infina_ wrote:I don't want to turn this into one of those D1 arguments where both participants become prime lynch candidates. It gives the scum to much of a chance to push both through. I will wait until everyone else has a chance at posting first before making anymore rash decisions. I'm not joking about the not losing a single town. I want the town to win without a loss. In my first game I allowed the mafia to win without a loss. I want to reverse that for this game.
unvote

...Still uneasy, honestly. Saying he doesn't want this to be one of those D1 arguements...which is making him and arduous both being the townies who start arguing. Townies dieing are acceptable losses-as long as scum loses in the end. The point is not to survive, it is to kill the others. Keeping all of the townies alive is ideal, but a near impossible ideal. If we all worry about all townies surviving, then we won't take risks, in getting scum killed. Sometimes you need to die to prove a point, sometimes you being agressive lynches scum but makes you seem scummy. You can, but you have to accept the fact of townies dieing for a town win. But, anyways, on to the next one
phlip wrote:
_infina_ wrote:Someone claiming miller now will just lead to lynching them, and otherwise the cop would declare them scum for them to claim, opening the scum up a chance at a kill. And I was thinking more along the lines of the GF false claiming. Confirming miller? Are you serious? What if both non-GF scum claim miller? Did you think of that? I think you are the scum.

I made a similar mistake to this in my first newbie game... thinking "but what if the scum falseclaims and the real role doesn't claim?"... 'course, that was with actual power-roles, not a miller, and it was in the late game, but the principle's the same.

The point is that the miller wants the town to win, and doesn't have to survive to win. If a townie can do something to increase the chance of a town win, even at the expense of their own survival, it makes sense for them to do it. If everyone in the town agrees that a miller claim would be a good thing for town, then when the miller claims come in, one of them will be real. The possibility of "one of the scum claims miller but the real miller stays silent" is removed from the table because the miller wants the town to win, and staying silent (especially given the discussion saying that a miller claim would be good) would harm the town.
So if we only get one claim, it's going to be the miller... and we then have a confirmed townie, better chances of lynching and copping scum, and knowledge that if a cop result comes up scum then it's real - benefits all around (even if the miller is NKed, which they might be... on one hand, they're no power role, but on the other hand, they're a confirmed townie, which is harmful to scum in and of itself). And if we get multiple claims, then all the ones that aren't real will be scum, and we can lynch all the claimers (unless we happen to lynch the scum first, in which case the remaining claimer is the true miller)... in which case, we have a lynched scum member, and again know who the miller is (be they alive or dead) and be able to rely on cop scum results.

In short: I think a miller claim is good, and should happen D1, so the cop doesn't have a chance to waste investigations on someone who'll later claim anyway. But even if the discussion goes the other way, and we decide against miller claiming for whatever reason, then if, later, the scum does falseclaim, the real miller should counterclaim as soon as possible anyway, to clear up the mud.

I really think you're flying off the handle a bit much, infina... from what I understand, crazy behaviour is par for the course for you, so I'm not voting yet, but IGMEOY.

wow. Big. This post makes sense, I agree with what he is saying, for the most part. Of course, infinia saying that both scum could claim is a possibity. But if both scum claim, the miller would claim too. Then we would have 3, and scum would be utterly screwed. So if that did happen, it would be a VERY good thing. We'd lose a townie and two scum. For a non-miller townie to claim miller would...not happen.
_infina_ wrote:
phlip wrote:

...was he really suggesting to lynch the miller D1? Really? After saying they shouldn't claim, now saying we can lynch them? Although the arguement is...somewhat sound. Scum could NOT use "I'm the miller, really!" As an excuse. Although right now I wouldn't suggest it. Unless we get multiple claims.

Misnomer wrote:Right, after doing some background reading...

Claim: Miller

If nobody challenges, then I haven't lost anything and am less likely to be lynched. If the scum counter-claims, then they either get lynched today or tomorrow. Either way it works out pretty good for the town.

For the record though, I would rather not be lynched on the first day! :wink:

Well, here we are. Miller claimed. Again-if there is a miller, who is not misnomer, claim. I understand even scum may try to counter-claim, but then...we have maybe scum and a miller dead. Not the most bad trade.

And I'll look at some other posts later, but this has taken enough of my time for now.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Oh, I just noticed some formatting mistake on my last post. I put my ninja'd section between two lines...
This:
BigNose wrote:
From a Townie point of view, I can understand the reason to claim and can't condemn it.

ninja'd:

Should have been:
BigNose wrote:
From a Townie point of view, I can understand the reason to claim and can't condemn it.

I don't normally consider these to be huge tells, but it could be a slip up so IGMEOY BN.

ninja'd:

Anyways yeah...

Return to “Mafia”