Melaka Fray leapt through the city, eager to return to the secret vault in the Uppers. The vault stacked from floor to ceiling with the very thing she needed most - the annals of slayers past: the watchers' diaries for the past two millenia. Leaping from a giant neon sign to the roof of the building, she dropped through the skylight and landed on the dusty floor like a cat, with barely a sound. Stacked all around Fray from floor to ceiling on archaic wooden bookshelves were mountains of bound yellowing pages. Spinning around and taking in the room once more, Fray took a quick glance back up at her sister, Erin, who was slowly climbing down into the room on an improvised ladder.
"This is totally rocketship, Erin," Melaka exclaimed, "imagine what stories are in these things!".
With that, she bounded over to a shelf, pulled out a diary at random, and began to read...
The Watchers Diaries wrote:It was a sunny day in southern California. The birds were singing, the children were playing, and the vampires were fast asleep in their crypts. It was also possible that half the birds were mildly demonic and the children were vicious backstabbing teenagers, but it was a sunny spring day, so none of that made any difference at all. This was Sunnydale, home of the Hellmouth, bane to municipal public-relations employees. On the surface, this was about as normal a day as the Hellmouth could ever witness.
As Sunnydale itself was evidence of, surface appearances could be pretty deceiving.
"Hey, guys!" chirped Willow Rosenberg, nearly skipping her way up to meet her friends at the school's front gate.
"You seem awfully cheerful today," noted Xander Harris. "Anything I should know about?"
"What? No! Nothing at all unusual." She frowned. "Well, except for the demons."
"Not exactly 'unusual'," Buffy Summers said, dryly. "But there do seem to be a lot more around recently. What's up with that?"
"Clearly it's time for their Annual Evil Convention of Evil," said Xander. "All the crypts are booked solid."
"Buffy--" Giles hurried toward the Scoobies, a dark tome of worrisome age and thickness in hand.
"Oh, god," said Buffy. "Please don't let it actually be the Evil Convention of Evil."
"What? I--" Giles shook his head. "It isn't that. Though now that you mentioned it, the number of vampires--"
"Yeah, yeah, noticed, stake 'em," said Buffy. "Kinda gives you a feel for their population."
"Er, quite. But, what I was going to mention was that there seem to be significant astronomical oddities--"
"Stars? Usually don't kill people," said Buffy.
"--as well as suspicious technological and temporal glitches--"
"As long as my watch is working okay," said Xander.
"Oh, hey, is that the watch your mother gave you last Christmas?" said Willow.
"Nah, that got smashed during that incident with the squirrel that we promised to never speak of again."
"--and heaven forbid any of you pay me any attention," Giles muttered.
"Hey! Bell," said Buffy, as the school bell rang, and headed with her friends to the halls of the school.
"Right, because there is no possible chance of this being important," Giles muttered, and headed back to the library.
"Are you sure we shouldn't listen to him?" said Willow. "I mean, he's Giles."
"Well, maybe," said Buffy. "But whatever those star things are-- I've really got bigger fish to fry. Like, Jaws fish, size of a bus and a lot of really sharp teeth. I've just got a bad feeling, you know? There's too many vamps, and they're quiet. Usually they're all 'whoa man look at all the people I ate!' The last time I saw them like this-- well, I kinda died."
There was a moment of silence.
"Also," said Buffy, "chemistry test."
"Ah, the cherry on top of the sundae of apocalyptic fury," said Xander.
"Well, you never know," said Willow, brightly. "There might be an attack!"
"In the middle of the day? Pah." Buffy shook her head. "I should be so lucky."
It was a widely-known truth that one should be quite careful what one wished for.
In Sunnydale, it just usually came back to bite you a little bit harder.
This is a themed game with a closed setup. Role and game mechanics are (in some cases loosely) based on the Buffy TV series. With the reduced player count, amt and I have made the decision to remove all Angel TV series elements from this game. The game will be nonstandard - there will be both Day and Night phases, but both will be similar to days in regular games. There is a lynch (voted for in-thread, as standard) every Day and Night, and discussion in thread can occur at any time; some actions are limited to either Day or Night, while some can be used during both phases.
This game may contain town, mafia, cult, serial killer and other independent roles. There will be some (relatively minor) elements of bastardry; these are all role/mechanic linked and defined at game-start, the mods remain neutral and will not be working for/against any player or group.
Standard Rules (originally by Vox, significant contributions by Dr Ug and, of course, many others):
2. All PMs must be CC'ed to both mods (Adacore and ameretrifle).
3. Please stay (at least mostly) on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL THE MODS. Really bad lurkers REALLY PISS ME OFF. We have replacement players just in case real life gets in the way of your mafia playing.
4a. if you don't post in the thread for 5 consecutive days, you will receive a mod prod with 48 hours to respond. If you don't respond in 48 hours you will be replaced or modkilled.
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in spoilers in the discussion thread for outside analysis. (*grabbing popcorn* is okay, just don't be too disruptive.)
6. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
7. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
8. You may not edit your posts.
Buffy Special Rules:
2. The mods are Adacore and ameretrifle. All PMs (for actions, communications and queries) must be CCed to both mods.
3. After a death, either by a NK or lynch, there will be a period of 24 (real life) hours before the role details of the deceased are revealed in-thread.
4. You are not dead until the mods confirm (either in thread or by PM) you are dead. Please do not read the spoilers until you are confirmed dead.
5. Actions may occur at any time. They will be processed in the order they are received. Killing actions will be activated at 20:00 UTC on Thursday 30th September.
6. The mods are Adacore and ameretrifle. Please CC all PMs to both mods.
7. Days and Nights will be limited to 10 days duration; if required we may extend this duration to a maximum of 14 days.
8. If votes are tied at the deadline, the lynch will be decided at random.
Mods: Adacore & ameretrifle
1. mister k
1. Weiyaoli (Killed D1: The Master, Vampire Mafia)
2. Krong (Lynched D1: Drusilla, Vampire Mafia)
3. Tastelikecoke (Killed N1: Tara, Town)
4. Mr Pete (Killed N1: Warren, Evil Trio)
5. Not A Raptor (Killed N1: Jenny Calendar, Town)
6. Lataro (Killed N2: Willow, Town turned SK)
7. Mavketl (Killed N2: Andrew, Evil Trio)
8. AngrySquirrel (Killed N2: Cordelia, Town)
9. Van (Lynched N3: The Mayor, Vampire Mafia)
10. PhoenixEnigma (Killed D3: Buffy, Town)
11. cycoden (Lynched D4: Oz, Cult)
12. Dr Ug
13. roband (Lynched N4: Giles, Town)
15. ThinkSweet (Lynched N5: Spike, Independent turned Town)
16. Dark Loink (Lynched D6: Darla, Vampire Mafia)
Role PMs are out. No need to confirm; Day 1 starts now.