[L] Buffy Mafia - Game Over: Chosen

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Van

Re: [L] Buffy Mafia - Night 2: Bring on the Night

Postby Van » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

mister k wrote:take: metal chain

I will absolutely give it to brook if I can though. Just didn't want Van to have it.
I'm honored :D

But you don't have much to worry 'bout. I wouldn't even be home from work that early on a normal night, much less today.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

The chain is Riley's dog tag (broken, and suggested it may have been ripped off). I am taking this as confirmation Riley is in the game.

Also, hurrah for a non magical one being the one I grab. Now I am 2/3rds of the way to possibly winning.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Van

Postby Van » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

That's a very nice everything you have there, BXM. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Who is Riley and what does he do?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Riley was Buffy's boyfriend at one point. He worked for a government agency that turned out to be building a monster that went bad. He appeared a couple times afterwards, I think he was running an independent anti-monster group. He's a good guy, but depending on the point in his arc, he might be a subordinate to bad guys.

The agency in question is also responsible for Spike (ThinkSweet)'s chip that prevents him from hurting humans.
Image <-- Evil experiment

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:@MasterOfAll: Is the blackboard thing your doing?
No, it's not me. I do still have the (rather useless) ability to PM the vampire mafia, though. I've even thought of some things to say to them along the lines of Brooklynxman's recommended "psychological warfare". Not that I really expect to accomplish anything, but it is kinda fun sending nasty-grams.

So, before this DarkLoink bandwagon goes any farther, I would really like to hear from him at least one more time (I think he said Sunday was the next time he'd have a chance to post). Have we gotten any sort of roleclaim out of him? Now, I highly doubt that he is Buffy, but are we really very sure that he isn't some other town power role? I still think it is likely he has been telling the truth about being busy lately. And really, the 'active lurking' and 'saved by Van going apeshit' are the only reasons y'all are voting for him, right?

I'd also like to hear more from ahippo. I'm not entirely trusting that he is now town (kinda funny coming from me, I know), but I do believe the part about being Jonathon and part of the Trio and such. I'm most curious about the part where he said . . .
ahippo wrote:There was this big list of spells but I can't quote it to you cuz you know, you can't quote from PMs. I think when I casted one of them it protected Mavketl.
ahippo, do you have any more info you can give us about how Mavketl was protected (the name of the spell, for instance). Also, can you be clear about when exactly your wooziness occurred?
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Yes. His lurk felt very scummy, and after reappearing, he hasn't really done anything to convince us that he's not scum. There were a couple of posts, some even with some analysis, but the general concensus seems to be not convinced. As I said before, I'm holding off on the vote because we're suddenly moving very quickly, and I would like to discuss some strategy before we start another day. Maybe the people who are pushing have powers that they are itching to use (since Day 2 was incredibly short, thanks to a certain evil creature whom we will kill as soon as we figure out how to do so). But I really would like to have some direction.

Known Anti-town factions:

_Vampire Mafia_
The Master (R.I.P.)
Drusilla (R.I.P.)
presumably Darla
formerly Angelus (presumably Angel and town)
Was the Mayor a vampire? Or a demon? (Assuming that this is Van, but see below)
Does Spike have some relation here (He says he doesn't, but we don't have any proof)

_Faith_
Faith
possibly some relation to the Mayor

_Trio_
Warren (R.I.P.)
Andrew (R.I.P.)
Jonathan (possibly town now)

_Dark Willow_
Willow (R.I.P.)

_Glory_
Glory/Ben - Another possibility for Van, I suppose (If she's Ben in the day and Glory by night, that might work in our favor)

Do we think that this list is exhaustive? Are there more anti-town factions running around? Buffy has no lack of bad guys, but I am at least hoping that we don't have more than this.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Van:

B-L-U-F-F
B-L-U-F-F
B-L-U-F-F
and van-o was her name-o.

Finally a good use for singing, AND for that song.

Spoiler:

Van

Postby Van » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

No, it's not a bluff, you're going to be walking around the block (so to speak) in town, cheerfully whistling a jaunty tune and punctuating each note with your shiny diamond pick, and then you'll briefly hear a "SSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Also, there's no o.

Also, a better thing to describe as a bluff would be, I don't know, everything I said during N1. Hint: I'm not trying to convince you I'm green and have four very, very tiny legs.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 am UTC

Oh me yarm Oh. This thead like, totally slowed down finally.

Regarding mpolo's list, that is pretty much what I said a few posts back. It does seem like town has been quite luck up to this point, and should really be pretty far along towards winning. But, I am hesitant to be too optimistic, since I have seem forum games where the town manages to get rid of a bunch of anti-town early in the game and still end up losing.

Obviously, Van is going to have to be dealt with at some point. Based on others who are more familiar with flavor, it sounds like there are just a couple roles that make sense for her at this point. I guess I am kind of just hoping that somehow Buffy will be able to deal with her, especially now that she has been 'outed' by ahippo's Fog Spell. Obviously, the previous attempt to lynch her didn't work out so well, so I am hesitant to recommend that as a course of action at this point.

So, yeah, I don't really have anything new to say. But, nobody had posted in this thread for over 10 hours, so I felt obligated to post something.
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 am UTC

of course its possible everyone was asleep...

So yeah, I don't think I have much to say

scum so far:

the vampire faction, of which there is one left (Van COULD be this, thanks to tingly magic stuff, but I can't think of an unlynchable vampire that brings on the night).
The trio- according to ahippo, now town. It certainly makes flavour sense, whether it makes game balance sense... I dunno. I feel like ahippo is a threat we can deal with when we need to... provided we believe the claim, and its a pretty ballsy false claim if true.
The mayor and faith. Potentially others, but I shouldn't think so. Faith has a night kill, and is unidentified, the mayor (almost certainly Van) was probably one shot unlynchable, brought on night (which fits flavour), and may now be a giant snake, which might well give him a kill.
Another scum faction? If so, we've seen no evidence of it so far, but that doesn't mean its not there.

You know what, I don't see how killing DL will deal with Van, and I want Van dealt with. I genuinely think we need to find out if we can lynch Van sharpish, rather than giving Van time to exercise a kill.

unvote
vote:Van
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Something that just struck me is that Van could be unlynchable during certain phases of the game (aka. night). It's at least a possibility worth considering.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

That was a thought I had as well. If she were the Mayor, I would expect a time limit -- unlynchable for 1 or 2 day/night cycles, though he is more night-oriented than day-oriented. If Van is actually Gloria, then unlynchable by night, lynchable by day seems very possible as well.

So, we're left at not knowing what to do with Van. With all the kills that float around in this game, I balk a little at giving up the town's main weapon by trying the lynch again on consecutive nights, but I would be willing to bend to the opinion of the rest of town on this. If more people are convinced that it will actually work, then by all means I will go for a Van lynch. If more of us would rather wait, I'd be willing to go for DarkLoink, but I do want to hear from him before we do.

Van

Postby Van » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:

p.s. sorry amt/adacore for missing it

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Yeah, not really believing you, Van.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

roband

Postby roband » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

I can only see half the spoilered image, but I can get the gist.

And I don't believe a word.

Van

Postby Van » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

roband

Postby roband » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Haha. You've been entertaining (alongside scummy) at least

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Oh me yarm, I am so sorry I haven't been able to post much of anything lately. Honestly I'm trying to keep up, but it's been a busy week for me, and with Wizardry moving into end game, I have to concentrate a lot on flavor for the possible endings, so all my free time has been going to that. I promise I'm keeping an eye out here for really really important stuff, like if I need to make a vote or something, but I promise I will catch up and provide my own content after the weekend...

Sorry everyone.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Yeah, not really believing you, Van.
This.

I'm leaning towards a Dark Loink lynch myself, for a number of smallish reasons. 1) Van may be easier to kill during the day, which I consider a valid concern. Blowing two lynches on one person and still having nothing to show for it would be very bad. 2) It's possible Van is/was protecting DL, which means DL is probably someone we actually want dead. 3)I don't think we need to be in the mindset of Van having scary night powers as much we might in most games. There's no night phase as traditionally defined, so there's no night actions as such. She was also willing to forgo an entire day, which suggests she may be more powerful when the sun is down. 4)It's not like Van can just disappear and have us forget about all of this.

Before that, I'd like to hear from DL, of course, which is appears we should expect sometime tomorrow. I'd also like to hear from ahippo, to see if they could shed any light on the actual effects of the spell that was cast. Another thing I'm curious about is the metal chain BXM picked up - the previous two item drops appear to have been as a result of player actions. Are there any hints this may have been the case for the dog tag as well, and if so, what?

P.S. Van, hyperlinks don't work in handwritten letters. Still fishy.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:19 am UTC

Oh. Van is town now. I totally and completely believe this.

Spoiler:

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 am UTC

Oh hey, yeah! Van is town! Awesome!

Vote: Van
^^ Oops! That was a mistake. I didn't mean to type that! I would never vote for someone so clearly townie!

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Just saying. I don't really think that Van has a whole lot to do with Dark Loink. I know what Dark Loink's been up to these past few weeks and he has perfectly good reason for not posting too much. I didn't see anything too scummy about his posts though. I realize why you wanted to lynch him for lurking but that's done now. We're done with all that. Van is much more dangerous and I think this time the lynch might work. But if I'm wrong we might be kinda screwed.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Someone posted something about DarkLoink coming back on Sunday. Which means that if all is right with the world, we should hear from him today. And then hopefully come to a decision about what we want to do about our problems. I have the impression that Van is dangerous (as do we all). DarkLoink was lurky, came back, and then promptly was unable to post for a few days. I remain suspicious but undecided there.

Flavor-wise, if Van is the Mayor, then she had 100 days of invulnerability before the ascension. As the game is hardly going to go 100 days, I presume that we started some time near the end of her invincibility. The question is how close we were…

mister k

Postby mister k » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:00 am UTC

heres the worry- day becoming night was the sign of the ascention, which mean Van is about to turn into a massive demon. That is, failing to lynch tonight may lead to many deaths tomorrow....
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

cycoden

Re: [L] Buffy Mafia - Night 1: Out of Mind, Out of Sight

Postby cycoden » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:
Spoiler:
cycoden wrote:
misnomer wrote:Except, it's a little simpler. The normal issue in situations like this is that we don't want to lynch the jester, as it would be a waste. However, van, if she is a jester, is not just an ordinary jester. She's a high-quality free-range Marks&Spencers jester she's a jester with an item that can either be used to help town or harm them. It stands to reason that if she's a jester, she will be trying to get herself lynched, and is therefore likely to use the item if its bad for town and not use it if it's good. Either way, we would benefit from taking the item back from van by means of a lynch.
Unless Van isn't a jester...

misnomer wrote:It's still not an ideal situation, as there are more real scum lurking out there, but it would be considerably more useful than a normal jester lynch.
Assuming I buy the assertion that Van is a jester, then obvious statement is obvious.

Excuse me? What assertion? If you'd bothered to quote my post in full you'd see that I specifically stated that we were in a tricky situation because we couldn't know whether Van was being genuinely jesterly, or was scum trying to trick us into thinking she was a jester.

The point is moot anyway as the failure of Van's lynch and her various misdeeds since are making her look a lot more like scarily powerful scum. As I stated earlier, we need her dead - though I'm reluctant to risk wasting another lynch. AS's theory about Van trying to draw the lynch away from DL makes sense, so I'm going to vote.

Vote: Dark Loink
ie: you asserted that she was either scum or a jester. I was just examining the jester side of that equation (I hope we'd all agree on the correct course of action for scum...).

Brooklynxman wrote:Oh. Van is town now. I totally and completely believe this.
is... this is sarcasm, right?

In view of the potential that a van lynch might again fail, and that ahippo seems to have followed his word and done something to Van, I'm inclined to vote for Dark Loink. So I will:

Vote: DL

Note that I could easily be persuaded to switch to van if the consensus is that a lynch would succeed...
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I'm not sure what point Cycoden is making about Warren -- like maybe the mod (and for that matter ahippo, claimed Trio member) was lying about his alignment? Or is this a comment about ThinkSweet?
Actually, I had suspected that someone may have had the ability to blackmail the coroner, in view of the convoluted wording and timing that the mods had used. I wasn't convinced enough to suggest it earlier though.
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Votals:

4 Dark Loink (AngrySquirrel, roband, cycoden, Misnomer)
3 Van (Brooklynxman, mister k, ahippo)

15 players, 8 to lynch.

Van

Postby Van » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

(linked for continually growing size)
Letter
Postcard

You have struck Microcline!

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

The distraction factor is really starting to push me in the direction of lynching Van. If we had any sort of assurance that it would work, I'd go for it right away.

So, Brook, mister k, ahippo: Why do you think the Van lynch will work this time?

And AngrySquirrel, roband, cycoden and Misnomer: Why do you think it will not work (or think that DL is more dangerous)?

I've bounced back and forth on this in my head so much that I feel like a ping-pong ball. Adding to my difficulty is that I only feel really sure about a few alignments (notably AngrySquirrel and Brook; MoA and ThinkSweet are also in the "very probably town" category).

We are bogging down, so need to make a decision. DarkLoink was supposed to post today, I thought. Maybe that will help.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

I'm not sure I would put this game in the 'bogging down' category just yet.

ahippo, did you miss where I asked you these questions, or did you just choose to not answer?
MasterOfAll wrote:I'd also like to hear more from ahippo. I'm not entirely trusting that he is now town (kinda funny coming from me, I know), but I do believe the part about being Jonathon and part of the Trio and such. I'm most curious about the part where he said . . .
ahippo wrote:There was this big list of spells but I can't quote it to you cuz you know, you can't quote from PMs. I think when I casted one of them it protected Mavketl.
ahippo, do you have any more info you can give us about how Mavketl was protected (the name of the spell, for instance). Also, can you be clear about when exactly your wooziness occurred?
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Van

Postby Van » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

(I spent forever trying to find a video for this, but I can't)

♪And I feeled sorry for you
Coz you don't bother me
And coz I'm in control now
I dared you to kill me
I've erased all your twisted ways
From my memory
And coz I'm in control now
I dare you, I dare you
You're gonna have to kill me♪

roband

Postby roband » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

My POV is that a lynch on Van has failed already. Dark Loink is also deserving of a lynch and I can see no reason why it wouldn't work. I want to hear what he has to say, however.

All of that said, I would quite happily attempt another lynch on Van.

ninja'd by Van spouting something or other, I've stopped reading

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Sorry MoA. I just missed that. I cast a spell called Aetherblur and then one called Kelith's Stir. Aetherblur may have been the one but I have no idea. I'm not even sure if it was me who caused her to be protected. I don't remember exactly when the wooziness and time loss happened but it was a couple days ago. I can't tell what my spells do. The only solid proof I got that my spells ever did anything substantial was the ever so useful fog I sent on Van. Even then I'm guessing only Van knows what it did.

Why do I think the lynch will work this time? It may have been a one shot lynch stopper. We may have a better chance with the fog even though so far it seems to have done nothing. I'm not really sure the lynch WILL work but Van needs to die.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Ah. I thought the fog was a special effect from your vampire seeker drone. (Or Makvetl's vampire-seeker-drone.) If the fog is related to something you did, it might be worth risking trying the lynch again.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

ahippo wrote:Sorry MoA. I just missed that. I cast a spell called Aetherblur and then one called Kelith's Stir. Aetherblur may have been the one but I have no idea. I'm not even sure if it was me who caused her to be protected. I don't remember exactly when the wooziness and time loss happened but it was a couple days ago. I can't tell what my spells do. The only solid proof I got that my spells ever did anything substantial was the ever so useful fog I sent on Van. Even then I'm guessing only Van knows what it did.
You do know that you can go back and reread old PMs, right?
Where did my old signature go? :(

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

The moon high over Sunnydale, the night had gone eerily quiet. The formerly rabid lynch mob in the town square had largely dispersed, with only a few drifting in and out to debate the relative merits of lynching Van and Dark Loink. The night was, once again, too quiet.

"Should you not be out patrolling," said Giles pointedly.

Buffy lifted her head from the table, "But - two nights! Sleep good!"

"Perhaps you should take a look outside," Giles said.

Groaning to herself, Buffy dragged herself to the door of the Magic Box, opened the door and almost tripped over the body of AngrySquirrel, pale in the moonlight. Rushing forward, Buffy examined the corpse - fang marks in the neck and drained of blood. Vampires.

"It would seem the coroners have lost some of their usual alacrity," said Giles, somberly.

AngrySquirrel is dead. She was Cordelia Chase, Town, with the ability to vote twice and a roleblock at night.

Votals:

3 Dark Loink (roband, cycoden, Misnomer)
3 Van (Brooklynxman, mister k, ahippo)

14 players, 8 to lynch.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Someone decide who we're lynching and I will follow.
We need to get a scum kill on the board right about now.

Van or DL?

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

I've decided.
vote: Dark Loink

He continues to lurk, nothing he has said in his brief visits has convinced me my vote was misplaced back when I first vote for him. Van is acting decidedly anti-town, but I don't know if a lynch will work or not if we try again tonight. Perhaps a lynch during the day, and/or a change of phase where maybe we have a vig with a day kill can take care of that problem. Besides, Van's antics amuse me, and someone talking, even if it is spilling wine has a chance to reveal something, where a lurking scummy player like DL, isn't going to give us any information at all.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

LOL. I'm just lazy, really, Dr Ug, but if you really want me to I will.

I got the PM at 6:17 PM UTC which translates to 1:17 PM my time, on October 14th. Three days ago.

Ninja'd

Return to “Mafia”