[TM] Sleepytown Mafia - Day 4 - Rise and Shine, Sleepyheads!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Not A Raptor

Re: [TM] Sleepytown Mafia - Day 1 - Zzzzzzz...

Postby Not A Raptor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 am UTC

I'm feeling rather brazen... while you people are arguing about the minutiae of the game mechanics and whether it's good to discuss optimum strategy mechanics-wise as well as whether it's good to even discuss discussing said optimum strategies... I've got a funny message for whoever the hell the mafia roleblocker is.

Ahem...

Roleblock me! I triple-dog dare you! Roleblock ME!
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Hmm... That's interesting. I have no idea how to interpret this:
1) Scum setting up wine?
2) Vanilla townie trying to protect power roles?
3) Town power role trying to psych out the roleblocker?
4) Reporter playing with fire?
5) NaR messing with our heads?

Well, number five is certain. Beyond that, I don't know. I don't even know if it's beneficial to speculate about it.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 am UTC

NaR's play of late puts me in mind of a slightly better thought-through version of Zerker. I have no idea how to react to it, though. If this game had a jester, I'd lynch him now just to clear up the inevitable wine, though.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:47 am UTC

Adacore wrote:...thought-through..though.
*head asplode*

I don't think lynching NaR based on that would be a very good idea (just in case you were still considering it). From what I've seen of him lately, he'd do that pretty much whatever his role was.

I do have a strong D1-and-I-don't-know-how-to-get-this-going thing going on, by the way. Everyone is being all reasonable and rolespeccy and there is no silly person who just starts random voting and then either gets lynched for it or gets a discussion going. I'm considering to be that silly person, but I would probably suck at it. Silly person, where are you?
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

- If both are alive, that means the doctor will protect the cop that night (and die himself), giving us a free investigation, the cop tells us all his investigation results and dies the second night.

Except that there's a roleblocker.

As for NAR, he's just riffing on his performance in Sins. Don't worry about him.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

Pff, "performance". I totally killed him.

What do you mean, luck?

And yeah, good point about that roleblocker. So I guess we don't want our reporter to get tortured, huh?

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

I think in general if a power role is uncovered by the newspaper report, they shouldn't claim unless the other town power role is already claimed or dead. The 50:50 chance of the uncovered role being a cop vs doctor (assuming it's not the godfather or roleblocker, either through the reporter's investigation or a mafia ploy) means the scum would have to decide whether to use their torture power with the kill and, thus, might end up either wasting their torture on the doctor or failing to use it on the cop. I'm not completely sure about this though (I was going to write the opposite, until I thought about it), so it might need some more thought.

Uh...you mention the roleblocker and then fail to consider how the existence of a roleblocker might influence the decision to torture...

At least we can thank NAR for making sure everyone realizes there is a roleblocker, and it probably affects all these strategies.

I'm not sure about this particular strategy, so while I consider it I'll stick by my original point: Hard and fast strategies generally risk benefiting the scum. Flexibility is key.

Some rolespec:
Cop: Not much to say here, just the obvious point that while it's normal to not be able to trust entirely the town results, in this case we can't entirely trust the scum results. Once the miller is dead this problem goes away at least, so it's not too bad.

Doc: Standard except for torture being able to remove doc protection.

Reporter: I don't think we'll see that many of his reports. The scum have more information and so presumably can exploit in their editor targeting. If they survive for most of the game, will probably be able to figure out most of the roles, making them potentially more useful than the cop. The obvious caveat is that this is precisely what makes them potentially a better false claim target.

Miller: Might not help the town much, but as the miller doesn't know who he is, this can't be helped.

Editor: I think this role will dominate the path of the game. Because of that, I caution against tunnel vision. Yes, it's easy to talk about the person in the paper. But if we let that stop us from looking at others, the scum's already won. I disagree with the others who have said the editor won't investigate scum. Even if that were true to start with (really, really doubt it), it's clearly false now that it's been mentioned a couple times.

Roleblocker: This is the thing people should remember exists. Yeah. Standard. Doubles down on FTC not being very useful.

Godfather: Torture seems of little value as long as the roleblocker is alive against the cop, and only questionable value against the reporter. As long as the cop is alive, torture is risky. Also, torture is perhaps most useful in the following case:
Godfather, Doctor, and Miller/Vanilla alive after a lynch.
Without torture, there's a 50% chance of the NK failing and if that happens, the scum's chances of winning drop significantly.
With torture, the scum win for sure.

@Mav Ninja: Well it changes the value to the town of a reporter getting tortured somewhat by denying the cop another investigation if the doc is alive, but, I still think that's unclear.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Yeah, sorry, I'm not used to considering the effects of a roleblocker - I completely overlooked it. It would probably be wise to disregard my earlier spec until I can review it properly.

I think it might be a good idea to just play this as if it's a standard vanilla setup (with roleblocker, godfather, cop, doctor). That's a fairly standard setup, right? So we should be able to work out how to play that. Silknor's right that we shouldn't get obsessed with the newspaper reports - obviously get what information we can from them, but they'll help scum more than town in almost all cases.

So far... I'm getting a townish vibe from Silknor, and a vaguely town read on ElectricHaze. Neutral on Mavketl and AS. Not seen much of Kells, mpolo, RoadieRich, Dr Ug or Lataro yet - more posting from them would be nice. NaR is being NaR, but his craziness isn't really pinging as scum. Based on that and the suggestion that we all start voting to get some more discussion going, I'm gonna:

Vote: Lataro

In the hope of getting some more posting going.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I have to warn that I may well only be getting on once a day for the next few days. I'm being forced to attend a 5-day seminar to learn how to use one module of an administrative suite. I can hardly imagine a program existing that is so complicated that I would need 5 days to understand it (especially since the program is supposed to be in wide use…) but that's what awaits me. I may have Internet access on breaks, though.

Nobody is leaping out at me as scummy at the moment. Adacore overlooked the effects of the roleblocker in his analysis, but I think that was an honest slip. We have a lot of people posting less than we are accustomed to have them post, though, so it would help if we all chip in.

The newspaper mechanic will be most interesting to town if we can get the editor out of the way. Before that happens, everything has to be taken with a big grain of salt. (And likely identifies town power roles to the scum, unfortunately.)

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Adacore casts scummy random meaningless vote that is completely useless.

it fails.

Lataro casts OMGUS.

Vote: Adacore

It's super effective!
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Isn't the deadline in like... 2 hours?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

EBWOP: No, I miscounted, it's tomorrow :)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

So far all the pings I've gotten from people have been explainable by people simply not being able to remember all the possibilities with the roles we have. Which isn't something I want to blame people for since I can't do that myself either. As such I'm so far drawing pretty much a blank here.

However.
Welcome back Kells! This makes me feel really bad, but you're as far as I can tell the one who's spoken the least.
(I'm really, really sorry to greet your return like this.)
Vote: Kellsbells
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

EBWOP:
Actually RoadieRich has said even less, but he did throw in a suspicion in his one post of note and thus is a bit less suspicious.

they/them/theirs

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

Well, Lataro has only one post to look at so I guess that is easy enough to do, oh and now an OMGUS post as well. It's not much to go off of, but there are a couple things that bug me about it.

Lataro wrote:While it certainly is bad for the reporter to get tortured, it isn't a total loss. If the cop has a scum result for the same night, once they are exposed, scum wouldn't be able to claim cop and stir up wine. We'll all know who is the real cop and be able to trust them and the results. Additionally, if the doc and cop are alive when this occurs, if the roleblocker is dead, we'll have one more cop result since the doc can just protect the cop, and the torture ability will be consumed already for us to have been in this situation.

Downplays the torture ability big time. If the reporter gets tortured, and the cop and doc are still alive, then we lose both of them in the following nights guaranteed. This is bad news, but Lataro, makes it sound like the last minute dump of info from the cop will make it all ok.

Lataro wrote:Overall, I can see this doing enough good for town that we shouldn't be overly concerned about it, especially since the torture will undoubtedly be saved for killing a claimed cop if the doc is still alive. The whole game could easily go by with this ability never being used due to scum feeling they might "need it" later.

It doesn't do any good for the town. Even in your best case scenario, with the roleblocker dead, we would get one more cop investigation before losing all our power roles.

So that's Lataro's one post. I don't agree with anything he says in it, and I think downplaying Torture is fairly scummy, but with only the one post it's hard to tell if he is scum, or just believes that an ability that will at worst kill all our power roles, and at best it will be used to kill our cop, isn't actually something to worry about. The OMGUS post doesn't really help his case at all either.

For a suspicious post, and lurking.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

ElectricHaze wrote:Well, Lataro has only one post to look at so I guess that is easy enough to do, oh and now an OMGUS post as well. It's not much to go off of, but there are a couple things that bug me about it.

Lataro wrote:While it certainly is bad for the reporter to get tortured, it isn't a total loss. If the cop has a scum result for the same night, once they are exposed, scum wouldn't be able to claim cop and stir up wine. We'll all know who is the real cop and be able to trust them and the results. Additionally, if the doc and cop are alive when this occurs, if the roleblocker is dead, we'll have one more cop result since the doc can just protect the cop, and the torture ability will be consumed already for us to have been in this situation.

Downplays the torture ability big time. If the reporter gets tortured, and the cop and doc are still alive, then we lose both of them in the following nights guaranteed. This is bad news, but Lataro, makes it sound like the last minute dump of info from the cop will make it all ok.

Lataro wrote:Overall, I can see this doing enough good for town that we shouldn't be overly concerned about it, especially since the torture will undoubtedly be saved for killing a claimed cop if the doc is still alive. The whole game could easily go by with this ability never being used due to scum feeling they might "need it" later.

It doesn't do any good for the town. Even in your best case scenario, with the roleblocker dead, we would get one more cop investigation before losing all our power roles.

So that's Lataro's one post. I don't agree with anything he says in it, and I think downplaying Torture is fairly scummy, but with only the one post it's hard to tell if he is scum, or just believes that an ability that will at worst kill all our power roles, and at best it will be used to kill our cop, isn't actually something to worry about. The OMGUS post doesn't really help his case at all either.

For a suspicious post, and lurking.

Since I'm leading the pack here, all I'm gonna say is that I've been really not digging EH this game. Consider this my vote from beyond the grave for him on day two if I get lynched.

That said, you guys make it sound like there is actual stuff to discuss. I don't feel the need to pop in and post just for the sake of posting if no one else is really saying anything. By saying anything, I mean anything of value that isn't just rehashing crap for the first couple posts in the thread.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

You know you want to target me, scum! Juicy target, RIGHT HERE!

On that note, Lataro dismissed the vote on him with a handwave and a vote... He's looking pretty bad right about now, just for that. After all, the only reason Adacore voted for him was to be "that crazy townie that stirs the pot and gets discussion going". Ideally, Lataro would've ignored it or questioned its utility.

Like Wizardry.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Ideally, Lataro would've ignored it or questioned its utility.

Lataro didn't contribute anything with his last post but...

random meaningless vote that is completely useless.

sure sounds like questioning utility to me.

And doing nothing really but a joke also sounds pretty close to ignoring. Wait hold on, that's almost exactly what you said: "dismissed the vote on him with a handwave."

In other news: sign up for my new open non-bastard turbo game, It's so exciting I can't even reveal the name yet (or I haven't finalized it, one of those).

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Good point. I wasn't feeling all that sure about it, but I didn't really know why. And there it is: reasons why.

Like Wizardry.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:19 am UTC

Initially I was just going to make some comments about the uselessness of it all, and how we don't know anything, and refrain from voting... but I've decided that would not be very helpful or townie.

Vote: ElectricHaze

His vote feels slightly more suspicious to me than what he points out about Lataro. We went from 'some guys have one vote' to 'hey look, a feasible lynch target, let's get him!' with that. I don't think Lataro is lurking any more than Kellsbells or RoadieRich. Also, about every single person who said something about the game mechanics got something wrong or overlooked something. The reasons given for the Lataro vote do not exclusively apply to Lataro.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Mavketl wrote:His vote feels slightly more suspicious to me than what he points out about Lataro. We went from 'some guys have one vote' to 'hey look, a feasible lynch target, let's get him!' with that. I don't think Lataro is lurking any more than Kellsbells or RoadieRich. Also, about every single person who said something about the game mechanics got something wrong or overlooked something. The reasons given for the Lataro vote do not exclusively apply to Lataro.

While you are correct about RoadieRich Lurking as well, kells has 3 posts that have at least some content. Lataro, on the other hand, had only 1 post, and I believe the content of that single post was suspect at best. After an intial vote for the lurking he responds with an OMGUS vote, and after my cote he responds that he feels like there is nothing to discuss. That is it. With a deadline in less than 20 hours I don't see any compelling reason not to lynch Lataro, or a more compelling reason to lynch someone else.

I would certainly consider an RR lynch if we were to decide on that since if there is anytime to lynch lurkers it is probably day 1.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:31 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Welcome back Kells! This makes me feel really bad, but you're as far as I can tell the one who's spoken the least.
(I'm really, really sorry to greet your return like this.)
Vote: Kellsbells
Well thanks, nice to be back. But uh...

AngrySquirrel wrote:Actually RoadieRich has said even less, but he did throw in a suspicion in his one post of note and thus is a bit less suspicious.
What? He throws out a random accusation (that actually seemed completely counter-intuitive) and that makes him less suspicious than I am? I am at a loss as for how that makes sense. I don't want to throw votes around but FoS: AngrySquirrel for that logic gap. I'm far from the most lurking so far, and kind of surprised by your vote.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:22 am UTC

The pressure of a turbo is coming down rapidly. I don't feel that we have a lot to go on, but Lataro's attitude is bothering me considerably. Essentially, "If you guys don't give me something that I can use to find you scummy, I'm certainly not going to bother to post so that you might find me scummy…" That attitude just leads to major lurktide.

Hoping that I will be back to revise this vote before deadline -- but that's unfortunately not certain today -- I'm going to

as a clarion call to lurkers everywhere not to make excuses and start posting, especially in a turbo.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 am UTC

I dislike appearing to bandwagon on D1, but:

Lataro wrote:Since I'm leading the pack here, all I'm gonna say is that I've been really not digging EH this game. Consider this my vote from beyond the grave for him on day two if I get lynched.

This strikes me as both very extreme (without reason) and also paranoid for a few idle comments. So... yeah. I don't want to get us too close to a hammer just yet, but I will definitely swing my vote over to Lataro based on this if nothing else interesting comes to light.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

Unvote
kellsbells wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:Actually RoadieRich has said even less, but he did throw in a suspicion in his one post of note and thus is a bit less suspicious.
What? He throws out a random accusation (that actually seemed completely counter-intuitive) and that makes him less suspicious than I am? I am at a loss as for how that makes sense. I don't want to throw votes around but FoS: AngrySquirrel for that logic gap. I'm far from the most lurking so far, and kind of surprised by your vote.

Saying that you're suspicious of someone, even though the reasons for it seems quite silly to others, is a rather townie thing to do. It gives up more information about a person than most role-speculation (at least in my opinion) and is quite useful.

I'll take a look at Lataro if I get time. Busy day.

they/them/theirs

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:09 am UTC

The bandwagon forming on lataro is based off very little. It was initiated as a random vote from a group of lurkers (including myself), to which his response is what would be expected from an explicitly random vote. I am very suspicious of those who have joined this wagon - EH, mpolo, although less so mpolo as he at least expressed a more reasonable reason to vote lataro.

I'm also a bit wary of kells' "if it looks like it's an option between EH and lataro, I'll probably vote lataro if I can, but if I don't have to, I won't". If EH turns scum, I think kells will be worth a look.

Vote: ElectricHaze
Where did my old signature go? :(

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:11 am UTC

My Lataro vote was made to encourage discussion. This has now happened, and I'm happier with the ElectricHaze lynch.

unvote;

vote: ElectricHaze

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:29 am UTC

huh, thought I'd be dead here. Now that it looks like I'm not gonna die to bandwagoning, I suppose my vote actually matters again.

Unvote

Vote: EH

Who had been pinging me since the start of the game.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Wow, that is a really speedy rush to lynch me all of a sudden. Please don't. I voted Lataro, for a combination of only have 1 post, and in that post he was trying to downplay a major scum power. Since then he has posted 2 OMGUS votes, and a post saying that he doesn't feel the need to add to the discussion because no one is talking about anything worth discussing.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:59 am UTC

Oh wow I'm actually at hammer -2. I didn't realize there were quite that many votes on me...
Um, yeah, please don't lynch the cop.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:03 am UTC

ElectricHaze wrote:Um, yeah, please don't lynch the cop.
Say what?

Either you're bluffing, which is risky, or you're serious, which is VERY NOT COOL. I understand a fear of being lynched, but you realize roleclaiming as the cop is... not good. Jeez.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:05 am UTC

EBWOP: I meant to say more in that post, so I'm saying it now. The bandwagon for EH seems worse to me than the one for Lataro so far (faster, less reasons behind it that I can see) but now with this cop-claim I just can't bring myself to nearly hammer.

What do people think? Scum making a desperate bluff, or an actual claim? I honestly don't know. EH, care to enlighten us a little bit about that?

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:31 am UTC

It's an actual claim. I can see no other way to handle this. The deadline is past I believe which means unless the vote moves somewhere else, as soon as the mod gets on I'm toast. Therefore the best solution I can see is to move the lynch off of myself as fast as possible, and lynch someone who has a chance at being scum.

In this situation there are a few possibilities.
A. I still get lynched, you see I'm right and we have a lot of info to work off of with all the fast votes that came at me.
B. We lynch someone else and either I am NKed, hopefully drawing out the torture ability.
C. I just get roleblocked until they manage to find the doc.

If this wasn't a turbo game or it happened earlier in the day I don't know that this would be necessary, but as we have a deadline I am in danger of being lynched at any moment because I top the leaderboard right now. Maybe it is a bad play, but with the way things are going I think my best play here is to try and draw out the torture ability, at least that is the best play I could think of...

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Also, since I am super board watching mode right now, I will add that both Dr Ug and Lataro have been online according to the bottom of the page since I claimed.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 am UTC

Yes. The problem being I don't believe you.
Where did my old signature go? :(

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 am UTC

ewwww, I sincerely hope you are scum because that is going to look bad in the morning.

And why not. This bandwagon formed on me in like 30min right around the time day was supposed to end, and for what reasons? No one posted any reasons for voting for me except Mav. Everyone else just hopped on. Have I done something to deserve this in your eyes, or is my vote on Lataro really that scummy to you? I gave my reasons, I'll even restate them because I think they were sounds reasons. He had 1 post at the beginning of the day, in which he calls the scums oneshot unstoppable NK that has the power of potentially outing both the doc and cop not a big deal. IMO the logic is faulty at best, and at worst it is very misleading. He refuses to post until someone calls him out on it. He posts an OMGUS vote. He posts saying he feels no need to post because there is nothing worth discussing, which aside from that being scummy makes me want to lynch him even more since I read it to say something like this "Hey, I'm on such a higher level than all of you I won't deign to post in this thread with you simpletons unless you prove yourselves worthy of my insight". Then later he comes back to throw another OMGUS vote my way.

So if you care to explain what reasons you have to doubt my townieness, or why you think I'm more scummy than Lataro, and that goes for any of you who voted for me, please do. Not that it matters much, I seem to be on borrowed time anyhow since the mod seems to have forgotten about us tonight.

Congrats btw, barring some miracle before the mod wakes up or logs on you have lynched your cop.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Well, since the deadline is approximately 96 hours, I think I might as well give it a try.

Unvote: ElectricHaze

Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I don't want to risk lynching the cop on D1. This evens out the votes, at least.

*hopes really hard that Lataro is scum*

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 am UTC

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but since adacore unvoted to vote me that puts it at 3 on me and 2 on lataro I think, so yeah.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:59 am UTC

This is what I have:

Votals

Lataro 3 mpolo ElectricHaze Mavketl
ElectricHaze 3 Dr Ug Adacore Lataro

I think you overlooked mpolo (or I overlooked something else).

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 am UTC

oh, so I did.

Return to “Mafia”