Dune Game Over! Atreides/Fremen Victory!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

weiyaoli

Re: Dune D1: Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice

Postby weiyaoli » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:Posting is slowing, so I shall institute a time limit; shall we say approx 72 hours from now? I may in transit at that time, so it won't be precise.

Lynch with majority, deadline lynch with plurality if >15 people have voted, RANDOM NON-VOTER MODKILL if <16 people have voted.

What does this bit mean?

Also, sorry for not posting much guys, Zoo has been taking up a fair bit of my mafia time. I'll try to have something tomorrow so that should be before the deadline and I'll have a chance to vote.
And you thought I was crazy...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

weiyaoli wrote:
VectorZero wrote:Lynch with majority, deadline lynch with plurality if >15 people have voted, RANDOM NON-VOTER MODKILL if <16 people have voted.

What does this bit mean?

My reading of it is as follows:

'deadline lynch with plurality' means the person who has received the greatest number of votes, but not necessarily an outright majority (which would be more than half the votes available, the standard lynch criteria). So in a situation with 6 votes for player A, 5 votes for player B and 5 votes for player C, player A would be lynched at the deadline, rather than it being no-lynch, or random, whereas 11 votes are required to lynch before the deadline.*

'random non-voter modkill' means that only those who have not voted would be killed. Thus, if things stay as they are, one of: {Silknor, Dark Loink, Mavketl, PhoenixEnigma, Not A Raptor, BigNose, Flying_Cookie, cycoden, b.i.o, weiyaoli, Dr Ug} will be lynched/modkilled at random in about 64 hours.

It is unclear what would happen in a situation with at least 16 total votes, but with a tie for vote leader. Strictly, that would not be plurality, as no player would have a 'lead' in votes, so it does not fit any of the given criteria.

What happens in the event of a tied vote at deadline?

Also, I noticed while doing this that turret is still in the player list - could e_e be put in, please? I use that list a lot.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

EBWOP: The asterisk is meant to link the first paragraph of explanation to the third, but I missed the corresponding asterisk before the third paragraph ("It is unclear..."). Ah well.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

Not really sure what to say--so far this has been kind of a mess. BigNose is all over the place and completely incomprehensible. Lataro is being more useless than usual. I'd love to vote for both of them because it'd make this game a lot easier to read, but I don't really know if either's scum.

I'm going to go for DL:

vote: Dark Loink

His only substantial post is a summary of everything that everyone has done. I think that gigantic "here's what I think about everyone" posts are a really good way to pretend you're contributing something useful in the first place (I think they're nigh-useless for analysis--looking at everyone individually is a great way to miss the big picture of what's happening, and that's how I pick up on scum, especially early), and DL's post didn't even do that.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25 am UTC

Adacore wrote:What happens in the event of a tied vote at deadline?
24 hour extension for runoff vote, only tied leaders can be voted for, then random. If it gets to 6-6-6, I modkill the two non-voters for being silly :P. The rest of your interpretation is correct.
Also, I noticed while doing this that turret is still in the player list - could e_e be put in, please? I use that list a lot.
Huh. I swear I did that. Sorted.

Votals:
BigNose (3): Krong, Lataro, ameretrifle
Lataro (5): mister k, Adacore, greenlover, mpolo, existential_elevator
Dark Loink (1): bio
Flying_Cookie (1): Brooklynxman

Approx 57 hours to deadline.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:03 am UTC

I've finally got a lot of the other stuff out of the way that needed to get out of the way, so I can actually do something in the game!

I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed by the game setup+flavour, but I'm hoping that clears up soon. I'm trying to cross-link other's analysis so that, once we have some idea of who is what, we have a ready made batch of connections. Hopefully that will be done tonight still.

Right now, though, I'm seriously suspicious of mpolo. They've stated a win condition that I read, at best, as "not a threat to <town/good guys/etc> until end game" which is less than comforting. Throw in some major fluffy posts (like summarizing the game to date, without giving any actual thoughts on it) and defending what are currently the two scummiest players (based on votes), and I don't like what I see.

I'd like to have an opinion on Lataro and BigNose, but frankly I've found both of them have seemed scummy in every game I've played with them, so I'm a little biased. My gut says that Lataro, at least, is in the same place as me - not entirely engaged with the game - and combined with the avatar, that makes me think scum without valid game reason. BigNose, I need to reread to be sure.

Pending further thought on my part (since I want to actually post in this game!), I'm leaning towards an mpolo or possible BigNose lynch?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Krong

Postby Krong » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:I'm going to go for DL:

vote: Dark Loink

His only substantial post is a summary of everything that everyone has done. I think that gigantic "here's what I think about everyone" posts are a really good way to pretend you're contributing something useful in the first place (I think they're nigh-useless for analysis--looking at everyone individually is a great way to miss the big picture of what's happening, and that's how I pick up on scum, especially early), and DL's post didn't even do that.

I get what you're saying, but...

<meta time>

...DarkLoink has been posting very little which even tries to be content of late. (This is sort of mean, but it's meant in his defense right now. :) ) This is the longest post I've ever seen him make, and the only time I can remember him making an effort at the standard "analyze all players" post (though come to think of it, did he actually get everyone? I need to look back at it.)

I don't think he left off actual feelings on who is scum intentionally, and I'd rather we not punish him for his effort to participate. I do think he should summarize what he actually thinks rather than "this is what happened", but this isn't his "active lurky" pattern at all.

</meta time>
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Right now, though, I'm seriously suspicious of mpolo. They've stated a win condition that I read, at best, as "not a threat to <town/good guys/etc> until end game" which is less than comforting. Throw in some major fluffy posts (like summarizing the game to date, without giving any actual thoughts on it) and defending what are currently the two scummiest players (based on votes), and I don't like what I see.

I think that what I actually said was that my second win condition is impossible to work on actively. I'll be more specific: I have to make sure that a certain character (and I don't know who might be playing that character and have no investigation or other way to identify that character) stays alive until the endgame. I find this to be essentially a "luck" win condition, at least from where I sit -- if I were lynched, I could still randomly pick up a "win" with it. As a result, I'm not going to be worrying too much about that condition. My other condition is a traditional "town" win condition, reworded for the Dune universe.

I thought that I gave some thoughts on the summary I posted. I was pretty sure that I did… [Goes back to check…] Um… I did actually comment on the summary in the very post you mention:

Spoiler:
First comments --

Really inactive players: turret, PhoenixEnigma

Relatively inactive players: Lataro, DarkLoink, Greenlover, b.i.o, weiyaoli, NotARaptor

"Active lurkers": myself (hopefully only until now), Brook (at least until his attack on F_C), ameretrifle, Dr Ug (on the cusp with "relatively inactive")

Several people have promised analysis: Mavketl, DarkLoink, myself. This is the first of these to materialize.

I would like to see BigNose start doing some real scum hunting.

Krong's suggestion that Silknor is not Atreides/Fremen, but probably not complete scum is fairly interesting. This also seems to mesh with Silknor's own statement -- he has a townish win condition, but no indication of being a majority.

F_C's gaffe with the Harkonnens and Fremen seemed totally innocent in the first post, but then he wanted to push it as a real possibility. Then he dropped it like a hot potato. It just felt like scum having been caught in a misstatement and trying to distance himself as quickly as possible. (Question: What is the right pronoun for Flying_Cookie?)

FoS: Flying_Cookie

I think that the various factions are all fairly small at present. There may be mechanisms for allying and such -- Paul and the Fremen, for instance. I also agree with F_C that some of the goals are probably less straightforward than "eliminate another faction(s)". The Fremen are probably only really concerned with Arrakis itself, that it not be exploited, etc. Where the Atreides seem to be interested in revenge against the Harkonnens and regaining control of the planet -- their views on spice are more compatible with the Fremen than the Harkonnen view, so they might be able to ally. The Emporer is mostly concerned about staying in power. BG and Guild are interested in the spice flow. Harkonnen probably want a monopoly on spice by eliminating all other factions (i.e. scum). But that's guessing from a very small amount of information that is in my power.

I think that I have been pretty active since then. (I admit that I was holding back a lot at the beginning…)

Off to class…
Image <-- Evil experiment

mister k

Postby mister k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

hmm. so lataro hasn't posted to try and defend himself more since my last post. So do I move my vote? On one hand he could be telling the truth, and its just a big game and day 1 getting to him. But jumpy voting is scummy, and terse useless posts is scummy. So I'm inclined to punish scummy behaviour unless someone can present me with a better lynch. Of my suspicions... hmm, well brook is STILL voting for FC, so I don't know whats going on there, as neither of them have posted in a while. I could still go for a big nose lynch, but I am favouring a lataro lynch currently. Yeah, unless theres gonna be some revelation, or indeed an incredibly claim of some sort, I don't think my votes changing.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

mister k wrote:hmm. so lataro hasn't posted to try and defend himself more since my last post. So do I move my vote? On one hand he could be telling the truth, and its just a big game and day 1 getting to him. But jumpy voting is scummy, and terse useless posts is scummy. So I'm inclined to punish scummy behaviour unless someone can present me with a better lynch. Of my suspicions... hmm, well brook is STILL voting for FC, so I don't know whats going on there, as neither of them have posted in a while. I could still go for a big nose lynch, but I am favouring a lataro lynch currently. Yeah, unless theres gonna be some revelation, or indeed an incredibly claim of some sort, I don't think my votes changing.

I feel the attempt to make Harkonnen's seem capable of friendship (or any form of relationship other then murderific hate) was scummier then Lataro's apathy. Thats really all I have to say on the current leading bandwagon, and I will keep my vote where I believe it counts until I see a better target.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

mister k

Postby mister k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:
mister k wrote:hmm. so lataro hasn't posted to try and defend himself more since my last post. So do I move my vote? On one hand he could be telling the truth, and its just a big game and day 1 getting to him. But jumpy voting is scummy, and terse useless posts is scummy. So I'm inclined to punish scummy behaviour unless someone can present me with a better lynch. Of my suspicions... hmm, well brook is STILL voting for FC, so I don't know whats going on there, as neither of them have posted in a while. I could still go for a big nose lynch, but I am favouring a lataro lynch currently. Yeah, unless theres gonna be some revelation, or indeed an incredibly claim of some sort, I don't think my votes changing.

I feel the attempt to make Harkonnen's seem capable of friendship (or any form of relationship other then murderific hate) was scummier then Lataro's apathy. Thats really all I have to say on the current leading bandwagon, and I will keep my vote where I believe it counts until I see a better target.

really? It felt like random speculation to me to be honest, rather than a devious scheme. If he was harkonnen and knew he was scum he'd surely not the mistake of speculating thusly- feels more like flavour challenged town.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

I'm still not getting the hate here. The Harkonnen (in the book) were incapable of "friendship (or any form of relationship other then murderific hate)", but that doesn't mean that their win condition in the game is "You win if you do not cooperate with anyone else and continue to be an unfriendly jerk throughout the game". Why is it so ridiculous to suggest that they could have goals in common with other parties? Individual Harkonnen roles might have a similar win condition to an individual Atreides role, or at least win conditions that aren't in conflict. Using flavour is good and all, but it only inspires two specific win conditions, not someone's entire playstyle. Once again: the vampires and werewolves tried to make a pact in Buffy Mafia, and it's rather unthinkable that the 'real' Oz would cooperate with the mayor and Dru, et cetera.

Also, I'll be gone for a few days (Nov 13 - 16). I likely won't have internet access during that time.
(I've informed the mod a while back and he said it was fine.)

I'll make up my mind and cast a vote before that time.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

I don't really see the suspicion on F_C being anything other than fleeting - he made a single ill-advised comment, the only real scumminess was the way he backed off so fast, but even that wasn't really anything massive. I'm more suspicious of Silknor, mpolo and, of course, Lataro. I now believe BigNose is most likely some kind of independent, but probably not outright scum - I wouldn't be massively opposed to a BigNose lynch, but I think Lataro remains the best target.

While Lataro's dislike for large games has some bearing on the fact that he's been acting scummily, it doesn't give us any information on whether he is scum or town. He's not provided a solid defence and/or any decent analysis, yet has voted twice with little or no cause, thus I think he should be lynched.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

I didn't say Harkonnen's couldn't work with anyone else.

I feel the notion they could work with Fremen (also Atreides but that wasn't brought up) is ridiculous and anyone who has flavor knowledge at all should know better, thus I feel there may have been a hidden agenda behind the comment.

I still feel its worse then apathy.

Spoiler:

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

I still prefer my vote. However, if need be, I am willing to switch to Lataro for these reasons:

1. My greatest priority right now is getting some information, and lynching seems to be the only way to get it.
2. He has professed a lack of interest. I have never been opposed to aiding the uninterested in their departure from a game. ;)
3. He seriously pissed me off in IRC the other day. Grudges bore me, but for one game I guess I can make an exception.

For the moment, I still prefer my vote where it is. Though I admit I'm not sure I have much of a general read on BN, which may be adding undue weight to my suspicions of his behavior. But can you think of a better way to find out whether he just pings me by default? ;)

Also, Brook's anti-Harkonnen posts just strike me as typical Brook zealousness, really. Theoretically he could be Harkonnen pulling a double-blind on us (and it's not a tactic I'd put past him, maybe even venting his disappointment at getting such a role), but he could just as easily be someone who canonically hates the Harkonnens. It's really just how Brook rolls. It's one of his most endearing traits. ;D

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

I've thought about it again, and I'm leaning more just normal confusing BN right now instead of scum BN. As before, I'm not that convinced on F_C based on just that.

I'm going to go with Lataro.

Vote: Lataro
And you thought I was crazy...

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

For lack of a better target:

See y'all in a couple of days.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

Lataro just isn't being the town Lataro I know. It makes me very suspicious. He just seems a completely different, and not un-scummy, person.

Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

Wow, three votes in a row. That's not suspiciouus at all.

L-3, about 36 hours to deadline, if I figure right... if Lataro has anything to say for himself he'd better do it soon.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

I will be out of town for 36 hours; if a lynch occurs, I'll try to kick on to D2 ASAP, but internet may be patchy.

Remember to submit N1 actions, or start of D2 actions, before the lynch. You've had long enough, there will be no extensions.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Well, that didn't work. My apathy has stemmed from many sources, not just my lack of flavor knowledge, but also because I seriously messed my role up.

Since I'm about to get lynched, I have a choice to make. I can keep my mouth shut and eat this lynch, and hope my win conditions are met for me by others, or I can be Lataro, and make everyone hate me by lowering the chance for my first win condition occurring, and working to ensure my second win condition.

To my pals: I'm sure you all suspected the crap out of me when I botched false claiming my second win condition. I wasn't paying attention close enough and offered in hindsight a super obvious lie.

So, onward to being a bastard and shooting my pals in the back for a chance at my second win condition.

Screw you brother cycoden (Feyd-Rautha)! I will prevent you becoming the emperor with my dying breath! Ya'll should really lynch him after my death.

Now, I could go and give away another whom I believe to be trying to boost my brother up to the throne, but I'll let them live for now, since they may yet get me my first win if they live.

In case it isn't clear to anyone, I am totally a Harkonnen and cycoden is as well.

So who all saw that post coming? :twisted:
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Well. . .that was unusual, but awesome. Hitting scum on D1 is cool with me.

However, who thinks that lataro is being honest in his accusation of cycoden? I am inclined to think that he is, but I think it might just be too good to be true. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past him to try to tie up town for another day lynching a random player. And, considering that he didn't give us any info on what this victory condition he wants to fulfill is, or why he just bussed his fellow scum, this is looking kinda fishy. Thoughts? :?

Also,
b.i.o wrote: I think that gigantic "here's what I think about everyone" posts are a really good way to pretend you're contributing something useful in the first place (I think they're nigh-useless for analysis--looking at everyone individually is a great way to miss the big picture of what's happening, and that's how I pick up on scum, especially early)

I am honestly curious about what you mean by this. What is the big picture that most people would be missing? What is lost by examining individual separately that would be gained by not doing so? What alternative is there to examining each player individually? The reason I am asking all the newbie questions is because I tend to prefer doing a rundown of every player individually, instead of. . .well, I don't know. I have done a basic run down in most mafia games I have been in (on and off this forum), and this is the first I have heard of an alternative. So, naturally, I am curious.

(I am not sure if this is the right place to put these questions; but this is where everyone has been directing me, so, yeah. Apologies in advance if this really should have gone somewhere else. :-( )

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 am UTC

greenlover wrote:And, considering that he didn't give us any info on what this victory condition he wants to fulfill is, or why he just bussed his fellow scum, this is looking kinda fishy. Thoughts? :?

Lataro wrote:So, onward to being a bastard and shooting my pals in the back for a chance at my second win condition.

Screw you brother cycoden (Feyd-Rautha)! I will prevent you becoming the emperor with my dying breath! Ya'll should really lynch him after my death.

Thought it was obvious...
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:54 am UTC

greenlover wrote:Well. . .that was unusual, but awesome. Hitting scum on D1 is cool with me.

However, who thinks that lataro is being honest in his accusation of cycoden? I am inclined to think that he is, but I think it might just be too good to be true. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past him to try to tie up town for another day lynching a random player. And, considering that he didn't give us any info on what this victory condition he wants to fulfill is, or why he just bussed his fellow scum, this is looking kinda fishy. Thoughts? :?
I figure we can lynch him and sort it out in the morning, frankly. I can't see this lynch going any other way, or why we'd want it to at this point, and we're staring down a deadline anyways.

Vote : Lataro
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Lataro wrote:
greenlover wrote:And, considering that he didn't give us any info on what this victory condition he wants to fulfill is, or why he just bussed his fellow scum, this is looking kinda fishy. Thoughts? :?

Lataro wrote:So, onward to being a bastard and shooting my pals in the back for a chance at my second win condition.

Thought it was obvious...

Not really, but thanks for clarifying. But, wow. . .an older brother's victory condition is tied to killing his younger brother? Nasty. (This sounds like an awesome book. I think I have a copy around here somewhere. . .)

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 am UTC

greenlover wrote:I am honestly curious about what you mean by this. What is the big picture that most people would be missing? What is lost by examining individual separately that would be gained by not doing so? What alternative is there to examining each player individually? The reason I am asking all the newbie questions is because I tend to prefer doing a rundown of every player individually, instead of. . .well, I don't know. I have done a basic run down in most mafia games I have been in (on and off this forum), and this is the first I have heard of an alternative. So, naturally, I am curious.

I have a whole bunch of issues with the "look at every post made by everyone" style of analysis. Undoubtedly it works for some people, but in my experience it's much less effective than my own much less-structured strategy. The biggest is that when you look one player at a time, it's very easy to ignore the surrounding context of what people are posting, and one of the ways I identify scum is by looking for groups of people. It's much harder to do, but I find it's often MUCH more telling to look at what people haven't done than to look at what they have, and I find that that's much harder to do when you're looking one person at a time. Also, if you're saying everything you think about everyone, you give people a lot of information. (And some of those people are scum.) I very purposely don't voice every suspicion I have.

I actually don't even bother reading mass analysis posts most of the time. I don't like having my opinions prejudiced by others' opinions. Especially at this point in the game it's way too easy to make mistakes or to get away with posting anti-town misinformation when you're tossing that much text into a single post. I think this is much less of an issue when people make smaller, more focused posts.

There are a whole lot of alternatives, and how you place specifically really depends on who you are. The way I work early in a game is by skimming through everything that's happened a few times. I find that that gives me a feel for the way the game is "flowing" (there's really not a good word for this), and I can very often pick out suspicious patterns in that flow. This is largely a product of experience, and this is what works for me--it's not necessarily the right tool for everyone.

(I am not sure if this is the right place to put these questions; but this is where everyone has been directing me, so, yeah. Apologies in advance if this really should have gone somewhere else. :-( )

Here's probably the best place. While maybe not directly on topic, I think a limited amount of game theory discussion is usually fine.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:31 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:I find that that gives me a feel for the way the game is "flowing" (there's really not a good word for this), and I can very often pick out suspicious patterns in that flow.

Let's call it, say, "the weirding way". :D

Lataro's claiming Rabban, who is pretty darn clearly anti-town. Can't think of any jester roles in this game either, or possible bomb roles other than the Duke (pro-town bomb?), and Lataro would obviously have claimed him rather than get lynched. I'm more than willing to change bandwagons at this point. Also, it looks as though by not voting him until now and thinking he looked townie in his recent posts, I've succeeded in linking myself to him... oh well, I'm glad to be wrong in this case.

Unvote

I think this is hammer.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Unvote

Just in case it isn't. I was mistaken.

Spoiler:

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:22 am UTC

Not much to say about that really. Looks like he pulled a NaR...
Where did my old signature go? :(

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Wow. And I just thought he was being apathetic. I can't really claim a lot of merit for being early on this wagon, but I'm glad I stuck to it.

It wouldn't be bad to cop cycoden to verify Lataro's spiteful attack, but it all fits really nicely with the flavor.

Apologies if it is already twilight -- I just had a moment to check, and in case it isn't twilight, wanted to at least get a quick post in.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Wow, spend a day hooking up your internet, and this happens.
Hmm... For those who don't recall, could someone go over the whole Rabban/Feyd-Rautha thing? Was one of them the Baron's potential emperor to be guy?
Flying_CookieTM

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm UTC

From Wikipedia:

Harkonnen plots to send his nephew and heir Feyd Rautha as a replacement for his more brutish nephew Glossu Rabban — who is currently in charge of the planet — with the hope of gaining the respect of the now-troublesome Fremen.

Harkonnen hopes to eventually be able to challenge the emporer and become emporer himself. (And obviously Feyd wants to succeed him, or perhaps even get him out of the way to go straight to emporerhood…)

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

Oh, right, forgot to do this:
unvote
vote: Lataro

Although now that I think about it, there actually *is* one possible jesterbomb in this game: Duke Leto. Lataro irritates me enough that I think it's almost worth it anyway though.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Krong wrote:Let's call it, say, "the weirding way". :D

:D

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's 2 or 3 votes *over* hammer and I'm a bit worried about everyone who was insecure enough to bother. ;D I mean, closed setup, so many ways I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's dead Jim.

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

:?: :|
Wow.
Every game I've played lately has had scum claim.
I'd post something tangible, but I'm not sure its day anymore.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Thx Lat.

Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's 2 or 3 votes *over* hammer and I'm a bit worried about everyone who was insecure enough to bother.

BigNose wrote:Thx Lat.

Oh hey look it's the guy I'm still voting. ;D

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Okay, after chewing over what you said for a while, b.i.o, I think I get it: In essence, your saying that,

1) the mass analysis style has got problems. Basically, using that style throws out too much content. It is kinda like the opposite of lurking, in a way. Thus, of all the styles you can chose from for analysis, mass analysis is probably the worst. However,
2) No one style fits everyone. Though you would discourage people from using the mass analysis style, some really might function best using that style, or lurking, or anywhere in between. What type of annalist a player is best suited for really depends on the player and can only really be found out via experience.

Did I summarize your feelings on the subject correctly?

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:58 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:From Wikipedia:

Harkonnen plots to send his nephew and heir Feyd Rautha as a replacement for his more brutish nephew Glossu Rabban — who is currently in charge of the planet — with the hope of gaining the respect of the now-troublesome Fremen.

Harkonnen hopes to eventually be able to challenge the emporer and become emporer himself. (And obviously Feyd wants to succeed him, or perhaps even get him out of the way to go straight to emporerhood…)

Thanks, that makes a good deal more sense now.
Flying_CookieTM

Return to “Mafia”