Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Re: Meta discussion

Postby wam » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

How do you win?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

roband

Postby roband » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

Am I known for forethought? I figured I'd let someone else work that out

wam

Postby wam » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Will have a think.

Also on the timezone thing I was going to see how easy it is to guess the players in Eureka based on that so we can get a baseline.

Also I agree that you should be able to claim your "name" As I so would spend the game pretending to be someone else.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 am UTC

First, vytron stick to something much simpler for your first game. Anyway as pointed out there's an overabundance of crazy right now, we could use something closer to normal in the queue.

And the reason claiming would have to be banned is because a list of unique "rolenames" with know towniness is gamebreaking. Just look back at Adacore's bastard game to see why. I'm surprised wam overlooked that.

Maybe announce that people were given custom roles but don't actually list them so there's room for interpretation. Lataro could be scum or maybe he's just a miller. Then name claims and false name claims are okay because they don't make straight up 50/50s.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:57 am UTC

I think Lataro is given too bad a rap for being scummy.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 am UTC

That's because Lataro is always scum. Always always always.
Hammer: Lataro

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:First, vytron stick to something much simpler for your first game.

Well, Chess Mafia will be the 5th game I mod, though, that's not guarantee of anything.

At what modded game is one supposed to go all guns blazing?
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

I think that would have been the prequel for you Vytron :)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:First, vytron stick to something much simpler for your first game.

Well, Chess Mafia will be the 5th game I mod, though, that's not guarantee of anything.

At what modded game is one supposed to go all guns blazing?

You've modded five games? Wow, I haven't been paying attention. Nevermind, do what you want. :oops:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

Oh, three of those games were outside the xkcd fora, so I wasn't expecting people to know :wink:

But, yeah, when I joined I had modded more games than I had played in.
Cheers Marsh'n!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Should we limit the number of simultaneous games that would be in sign ups at one point? I can't help but think that currently some games are just "stealing" players from other games, and games would get more players if they went into sign ups at a later time (say, when the sign ups of another game were closed.)

I think I'm repeating myself, but last time I didn't even get a "no, we shouldn't limit them."
Cheers Marsh'n!

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

I don't think we should limit the number of games in sign-ups simultaneously. If something needs changing, I think we should change the queue.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Should we limit the number of simultaneous games that would be in sign ups at one point? I can't help but think that currently some games are just "stealing" players from other games, and games would get more players if they went into sign ups at a later time (say, when the sign ups of another game were closed.)

I think I'm repeating myself, but last time I didn't even get a "no, we shouldn't limit them."

I think we should limit them. Staggering sign-ups would be good, after, say half of the people are dead from a big game they'll be up for joining another game at that point. I'm not signing up for another one at the moment because I'll be in 3 when BatmafiaII and chairman maofia start. But if I die in Community or am quick-killed in any of the other ones, I'd be down for signing up for something else.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Oppose

I think the current sign-up system works quite well. If a setup is interesting enough, it'll get sign-ups - and if it is genuinely losing out due to a glut of super-exciting rival games, it can always go back into sign-ups again at a later date. If we were to reduce the number of game slots, we ultimately end up reducing player choice. We also run the risk of having times when there are no games at all in sign-ups.

As for staggered sign-ups, that pretty much fell apart last time because game lengths are ultimately fairly hard to predict/control.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:We also run the risk of having times when there are no games at all in sign-ups.

Oh, we had that with the current system the other day anyway.

Hmmm, I think something should change, what about enlarging the sign up time a game can be in instead of cutting it at one week?

Yes, this all is because BatMafia was meant to be a large game with 18 players, the current limit may force Vieto to start with 13 players, while if it waited more it may have gotten the players needed (i.e. if players in Eureka or Community die in the night, they might join BatMafia, but not if BatMafia's sign ups are forced to close.)

I think the current system is optimal for more active times.
Cheers Marsh'n!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

This has always happened and will always happen during holiday season.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Yup, I may just be freaking out unnecessarily :mrgreen:

I thought Batmafia sign ups were about to close, but they will in Saturday.

Sorry, false alarm, false alarm! I'd not mind if people lynched me for this XD
Cheers Marsh'n!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:I'd not mind if people lynched me for this XD

vote: Vytron

Isn't your meta to be killed within the first 2 days anyway? I'm surprised we haven't lynched you yet!

:lol:
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Isn't your meta to be killed within the first 2 days anyway?

Not really, it just happens :cry:

I play scummy regardless of role...
Cheers Marsh'n!

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Longer sign up times=people sign up, forget about it, leave the forums to deal with RL, or any number of other reasons that makes them super inactive/non existent. The current limit of one week ensures that for the most part, if someone signs up, they will play the game. We were having times when over half the signed up players never played due to the fact that signups were taking over a MONTH as mods waited trying to get the last few people to fill out their setup. Longer signups hurt the game, and the forums as a whole, FAR more than any situation in which it would be beneficial.

Bottom line, The signup cap of a week to get players, then run it or drop it has helped cut down on mods trying to run overly ambitious games (In the form of games far too large for our population to support), and players signing up then never being seen again. I am firmly against any effort made to change this rule.

As for a bunch of games up at once. People will play if they have time and are interested, and won't if they aren't. As said, the mod can always cancel the game and put it back in the queue if they don't get enough players to run it, or they can scale the game back to work with what they get. This is a good system IMO. Any artificial interference is just going to be a larger headache than it would be worth, and could throw the entire queue off drastically. (Example: I normally sign up for a slot knowing that in X time I'll be up to run it, but maybe sooner if games before me bow out, I generally plan assuming that at least one game will fold.) If the queue got bogged up with people waiting forever to get or start signups due to wanting to artificially avoid competing with other games, it would delay every other game behind it. I may be fine to run a game starting in one or two months, but I'm not expecting the queue to take three or four months to get to me because of such nonsense. I may have things going on then that would interfere with my ability to run a game. Thus, nonsensical interference because a mod doesn't want to run their game for another week or two, or more, in order to avoid competing for signups, has just ruined everyone behind them who was planning to start around a certain time. Games of a given size generally take the same amount of time, within a reasonable margin, to finish, especially with reasonable day/night lengths behind enforced nowadays. Messing with that needlessly ruins the system.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Bottom line, The signup cap of a week to get players, then run it or drop it has helped cut down on mods trying to run overly ambitious games (In the form of games far too large for our population to support), and players signing up then never being seen again. I am firmly against any effort made to change this rule.
This. Frankly I doubt Veito expected to get the full 18 players. We really don't have the population for it and only get there if it's an extremely exciting game like Wizardry or DS9. And even then having 15+ player virtually guarantees that you will have 2-3 drop out and no replacements since you stretch the community so much already.

This is a bit of a tangent but, players shouldn't feel compelled to sign up for games just to fill them out, play what you want and if the game dies it dies. Mod's should be prepared for that. If a game dies ask for feedback why, it might be schedule but it might be because the theme and mechanics aren't interesting or people aren't confident in the mod's experience.

Speaking of which I'm removing CJ's vanilla game from the queue until he comes back to explain wtf happened with Role Madness2. At this point I'm assuming CJ is done with mafia. Any objections?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am UTC

I agree, the week limit on signups has been a big improvement. Nothing worse than waiting several weeks for the game to start, only to find that 5 out of 20 never confirm their Role PM…

Maybe put CJ in parentheses and add a temporary extra queue spot, at least for a few more weeks. It at least looks less "final". But I agree that he should explain/clean up the mess that was left behind in Role Madness² (which I missed, but am kind of glad, seeing how it turned out).
Image <-- Evil experiment

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Yeah, I was not expecting to get 18 players, although I did want more than Dark Knight Assassins (which I have). I usually have signups open for around a week anyways, and in the case of slower sign-ups, I set a hard limit (like Saturday). I always plan for my limit, but I have become rather proficient at chopping/merging roles at the last minute anyways, so I'll probably only have a dozen cults. :lol:

However, since 1 week has passed, I suppose I can close sign-ups now (I don't reasonably expect anyone else to join). However, I still can't start the game until Saturday, for IRL reasons.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Might as well leave it open then, since it will start at the same time regardless.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Speaking of which I'm removing CJ's vanilla game from the queue until he comes back to explain wtf happened with Role Madness2.

Hopefully not a Retcon where the game continues after the hiatus, with the events of 2013 being deleted from history, now that would be sick! :shock:
Cheers Marsh'n!

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

See the game thread.
Last edited by Snark on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Aw Snark come back we love you!
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Huh? Snark? What is going on?! Are you quitting? Please reconsider!

I was really looking forward to play in Lights Camera Auction! And was hoping that you would join Chess Mafia.

I would run Auction, but I was really looking forward to you modding it, I really hope you don't let Drama get in the way of fun, and decide to stay :(

What would I need to do for you to stay, anyway? Mafia wouldn't be the same without you.
Cheers Marsh'n!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 am UTC

Don't dismiss it as "Drama" there's a real issue here, unfortunately it can't be discussed outside of spoilers. So I will limit myself to saying, please come back later snark. I enjoy playing with you.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:20 am UTC

I agree with BF's sentiment and deeply and sincerely apologise if any of my actions in any games have had an effect on it.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 am UTC

I agree as well and as I said by Pm I hope I didn't affect you.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

I'm not able to act like an adult in this subforum, so I'm giving myself a timeout. Thanks.

Edit: This was not the fault of any other person or collection of people besides myself. I'll hopefully be back in a month or two.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Yay, I'm glad to hear that you'll be back! Try Feb 23, so you're back on my birthday!

*shot*

What I meant to say is, cheers Snark, I always enjoyed my games with you, and Secret Santa is the best game I've played. Huh, hopefully I'm not sounding creepy after this :shock:
Cheers Marsh'n!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

So, the games in signups aren't filling up...

1) What would people like me to run in the small queue? Do people like complicated games, vanilla games, unusual but simple games, open games, closed games, alt accounts, PyP, Resistance 6 (my first love :) ), or what? Any specific flavor requests? Are there lurking newbies out there waiting for something in particular? Don't be shy...

2a) Should we trim down the queue?

2b) Do people appreciate the turbo queue? IMO it's kind of redundant; I haven't really been able to tell a difference between turbo games and non-turbo games. Way back when we didn't even use deadlines consistently and games would drag on and on unless it was turbo. But nowadays it seems like week-long gamedays are pretty standard for both turbo and non-turbo games.

3) It might be worth it to make a thread to keep track of alt accounts and the mods who created them, especially if alt account games are going to be popular (I think DS9 and Eureka have been a lot of fun, but maybe everyone else is overdosed). If we keep track of them then we can easily reuse accounts instead of having to create new ones. Thoughts?
-Adam

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Concerning Turbo Queue: I think that your redundancy statement is correct, And with some turbo games being big games, this makes it so that multiple big games go on at once. I think that's the main reason for them not filling up at the moment, more than one big game, with a few games finishing up.

So I vote yes on ellimanating it, shifting the games in that queue into their appropratly sized locations.

As for small games, I'd love unusual but simple.

Flavor that might be fun; TV/Movie pop-culture references are always good.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

I like the flavor games the best. Princess Bride mafia would be amazing. Turbo is redundant.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I like the flavor games the best. Princess Bride mafia would be amazing. Turbo is redundant.

I think princess bride mafia was already done, but then again, I rebooted Batmafia, I can't complain.

for small games, I like simple yet unusual games. Small games seems to be a great area for testing concepts.

2.a) I don't think the queue needs trimming, not really. You can trim it if you want to, I suppose.

2.b) Turbo does seem a bit redundant, although I thought the point of turbo was to have game phases lasting 24 hours or something like that.

3. I don't use Alt accounts (except for Deadpool), although I suppose if we have a list of 30 alt accounts with passwords, then we can just randomize those between anonymous games.

dotproduct

Postby dotproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am UTC

1) some dethy-esque game
2a) only by removing the turbo queue
2b) no
3) I think there aren't enough to make it worth creating a thread for that.

My idea for a Dethy game that would probably be too imbalanced, though I don't know in which side's favor:
Spoiler:
3 Sane cops
1 Naive cop
1 Incompetent cop
2 mafia

The mafia know who the Incompetent cop is. Each night, the mafia choose what result the
Incompetent cop will get, which may be conditioned on which player the Incompetent cop investigates.
(If the scum didn't choose a result for the Incompetent cop's target, then the Incompetent cop gets a random result.)
Cop type is not revealed on death.

Has anyone here ever used a Bankable Deadline?
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... e_deadline

It seems to me like that would work better than independent deadlines for each day.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 am UTC

At a glance, it looks imbalanced in favor of town. I'm too sleepy right now to do all the math.

It might be interesting if the incompetent cop was also a Miller. That way, ze'd be indistinguishable from scum on the basis of night actions alone. So even if the players narrowed it down to three scum candidates by D3, they'd still have to scumhunt as normal.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Maybe we should make the turbo queue really turbo? Like 48 hour days, 24 hour nights? I'd have to move my game to a different queue though since that's too fast for a complex game like shadowrun mafia.

Return to “Mafia”