Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka

Re: Meta discussion

Postby dimochka » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

Would you guys want to play a Mortal Kombat or Ninja Turtles game? I can write one in a few days...

Edit: or i'm open to other ideas. After all I wrote Scooby without knowing most of the flavor beforehand.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

I think you should go with something that you would enjoy as well. I'm almost completely flavorblind with Mortal Kombat but Ninja Turtles sounds like fun.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 am UTC

I like ninja turtles, and I repeat my special interest for a SNES-like Turtles In Time kinda game.

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu May 26, 2016 7:04 pm UTC

Since dethy is on the brain, I had an idea hopefully someone more experienced with running/balancing games might have a thought on.

For a large dethy like the size of the one mpolo is running (11-12 players), do you think having a odd/even night Godfather might be a good possibility to toss in? I'm interested in it from a perspective of getting more gameplay in there in addition to the pure logic side. My idea was that it would be known that one semi-Godfather exists, and it would be known that it would be either an odd night Godfather or an even night Godfather, but which one specifically it was would be unknown to town -- it would be rolled at random before game start. There's also the possibility of not telling the Godfather which one he/she was, if you think scum knowing would give them too much info.

Any thoughts? Just kinda throwing this out there because it was an interesting idea that popped into my brain -- I fully acknowledge it might be completely unbalanced. :)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 26, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

I think anything that introduces more uncertainty/variety is good for the game with so many players. With the current setup the game is basically reduced to a logic problem where read-analysis doesn't even have to play a part. Obviously any new roles could theoretically also be handled via spreadsheet but with a few choice additions the possibilities will not be so clear-cut and people will be forced to participate more and D1/D2 won't be just 'Agree to proposed order, vote no lynch, day-end.' Secret Godfather sounds interesting, I've also had a few ideas here.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri May 27, 2016 6:25 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:I've also had a few ideas here.

I personally would probably not be interested in playing a game with some of the roles you mentioned, because I don't like the randomness. The jester could be interesting though. I could also see a role where if a cop targets another cop he shares his result, whereas if he targets scum he gets a sane result on the person whom scum targeted.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 27, 2016 6:51 am UTC

I think a small amount of randomness adds to the complexity of the game in a positive way but I can also see your point.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri May 27, 2016 7:23 am UTC

I wonder if it might be possible to combine Adam H's Bayesian Mafia with a Dethy-like setup? Could be fun?

Also, Sabrar, you should read Bayesian Mafia; I think you'd enjoy it.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 am UTC

I was just thinking about Bayesian mafia the other day. It was such a neat concept, it's a pity we didn't do it again.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 am UTC

As mentioned elsewhere I do not like a game of Mafia to be decided on a random roll of the dice so I probably wouldn't enjoy a game where everything is rng'd. Cool concept though.

WorldTradeRichard

Postby WorldTradeRichard » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:32 am UTC

Hey, so I was trying to make this diagram here, and I needed opinion. Rating complexity of the speech of the game, would you say this was correct?

Forum MAFIA- Real Life MAFIA - Epic Mafia- Town Of Salem
When I'm Down
And I'm So Stressed
I just turn it Around
and get Desserts
If you fill a glass halfway, it's halfway full. If you empty half of a glass, it's half empty.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:05 am UTC

I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase it?

WorldTradeRichard

Postby WorldTradeRichard » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 am UTC

hmm, I think what I meant was that if you were to compare the total length of time invested into the game, that order would be true.
When I'm Down
And I'm So Stressed
I just turn it Around
and get Desserts
If you fill a glass halfway, it's halfway full. If you empty half of a glass, it's half empty.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:17 am UTC

The forum mafia games here typically take weeks to complete. Not sure about other forums. A game of real life Mafia would take less than an hour, right?

WorldTradeRichard

Postby WorldTradeRichard » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:20 am UTC

I meant the time INVESTED, so as to say the time taken to type the responses, not the total time of the game.
When I'm Down
And I'm So Stressed
I just turn it Around
and get Desserts

New User

Postby New User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 am UTC

Well, in a forum game you visit the website, then you have to read what everyone has posted in the game since your last visit. Then it's usually a good idea to look back through the thread and read what others have had to say before, and look for contradictions or discrepancies. When making a post, you need to carefully choose your words, because everything you say in the game is recorded, and other players can look back at any time and see how your opinions and viewpoints might have changed throughout the course of the game. Body language, eye contact, and vocal tone don't exist, so identifying lies in text is very different from finding lies in speech. This means it might take a lot more time to try to identify a deception, and also leaves less confidence when you think you've found one. So overall I'd say it takes much more effort to contribute to a forum game.

WorldTradeRichard

Postby WorldTradeRichard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

Is mafia dead? I kinda wanted to play a game but no one's posted on her for two days : (
When I'm Down
And I'm So Stressed
I just turn it Around
and get Desserts

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

Check the sign up thread, there are two games currently in sign ups.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:12 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm currently developing a card game for 2-4 players that has some similarities with mafia (like hidden alignments and deduction). The theme is about an alien apocalypse, or more like a parody of it, and you can deduce what alignment someone has by the choices they make in the game rather than through discussion. Cards are worth points that depend on your alignment, and you can also trade them. While trading, you're allowed to withhold information or even give false information, leading to many interesting situations like in mafia. If you want to find out more, check out my website https://apocalypsefrenzy.wordpress.com/

There's also a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulSWQEYQELs

I'm going to launch a crowd-funding campaign soon, so if you could think of anyone you know that likes games like mafia in real life, please let them know about this game. Thanks a lot and sorry for the spam!
Spoiler:

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 pm UTC

For mods (specifically in this case for Dje and his co-mods on MMMII, but could apply to any game).

I noticed in reading through MMMII that there seemed to be a little confusion or desire for clarification on time frames for deadlines, esp because of time zone fun and Daylight Saving weirdness. Just want to throw out the countdown timer on timeanddate.com as an option in case folks didn't know about it or had forgotten about it -- I know it's helped me figure out exact deadlines for Day end in the past (though I can't remember off the top of my head which mods have used it before). Plus it's a simple "set it and forget it" thing 'til the deadline is reached.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create

Edit for clarification: This is not intended as any sort of "telling someone how to run their game" -- just a thought offered with the best of intentions.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 am UTC

I just link to Wolfram Alpha, like this: Noon EST, Christmas Day.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 am UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:I'm going to launch a crowd-funding campaign soon, so if you could think of anyone you know that likes games like mafia in real life, please let them know about this game. Thanks a lot and sorry for the spam!
Spoiler:

Just wanted to let you guys know that my campaign is up and running! Link

JustDanceUnlimited

Postby JustDanceUnlimited » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:45 pm UTC

Um would anyone be down to play One Night Ultimate Vampire if i hosted 1??

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

Sure, I'd pay! It's like one night ultimate werewolf I assume? (or it is and you just mistyped the name?). Either way, should be fun!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

ONUV works a lot like ONUW, except that it has different roles (duh) and it adds some mechanics around "Marks". Each player, in addition to their role, starts with a "Mark of Clarity". During the "Dusk" phase, some roles will wake up and swap people's Marks (e.g. the Vampires may give someone the "Mark of the Vampire", Cupid may give two players the "Mark of the Lovers", the Priest can give herself and one other player fresh Marks of Clarity, IIRC). At the end of Dusk, everyone secretly looks at their Marks, then you have the Night phase as normal, then everything else runs like a normal ONUW game, with villagers winning if they kill a vampire.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 am UTC

JustDanceUnlimited wrote:Um would anyone be down to play One Night Ultimate Vampire if i hosted 1??

I would love that! I think the setup is brilliant, and have experience with ONUW with some of the smartest people I know, so I'm really curious to find out how our own meta-game is different or similar to xkcd-Mafia.

WorldTradeRichard

Postby WorldTradeRichard » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:33 am UTC

So I made up this game and I was thinking of running it if anyone wanted to play.
The game is called "Sparticus". Endless day.
The roles are as follows:
Mafia: Usually only one or two. Each have one kill. Use it wisely.
Fugitive: If half of the number of fugitives were killed, the game ends and the mafia wins.
Bombers: two for every fugitive. If targeted for a kill, the killer dies too.

I guess what makes it different is that both sides are now scum hunting.
It's called "Sparticus" because the main strategy played while with my friends was everyone claiming to be the fugitive, this confusing the mafia.
When I'm Down
And I'm So Stressed
I just turn it Around
and get Desserts

Return to “Mafia”