Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Lunch Meat

Re: Meta discussion

Postby Lunch Meat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:46 am UTC

Phantom of the Mafia? (book, not musical--there's not much horror in the musical)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:24 am UTC

How about "Monster mash mafia" where it's a costume party, where everyone's dressed up as a famous horror character, posting restrictions for flavor and everything.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:19 am UTC

That's a pretty good idea. Costume Party would make a heck of a lot of sense here.

Phantom of the Opera I wouldn't personally mod, just due to too-vague familiarity with the flavor.

Also, if anyone else wants to host the Halloween-themed thing, I'm totally okay with that. Or co-host (My strongest suit is flavor)

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 am UTC

I have some ideas for a cthulhu cult based mafia, if people are interested. Don't worry, no cult mechanic in the game!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

I assume a "Classic B-grade Horror Films" Mafia would have special rules surrounding the hammer.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Also, if anyone else wants to host the Halloween-themed thing, I'm totally okay with that. Or co-host (My strongest suit is flavor)

Oh, hey! I'd love to co-host, if that means coming up with the setup and randomizing the roles, setting and calling deadline and mechanics, while you write and hand down the role PMs, create the thread and in-game flavor, and such. Worked great for Back to the Future.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:41 am UTC

Vytron wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Also, if anyone else wants to host the Halloween-themed thing, I'm totally okay with that. Or co-host (My strongest suit is flavor)

Oh, hey! I'd love to co-host, if that means coming up with the setup and randomizing the roles, setting and calling deadline and mechanics, while you write and hand down the role PMs, create the thread and in-game flavor, and such. Worked great for Back to the Future.

Okay. I mean, I might help a little bit, with regards to perhaps some unique role-creation and such, but definitely a mechanics and balance master would be well liked.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:54 am UTC

Okay, if you need such a cohost for Costume Party Mafia give me a call :)

kalira

Postby kalira » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:52 am UTC

I want to play all these games. MAKE IT HAPPEN, PEOPLE! :D

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 am UTC

Doctor who mafia signups incoming. Much thanks to Adam H for his input. Some of my favorite mechanics are a direct result of his questions/ideas.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am UTC

I would help in phantom of the mafia in any sort of capacity. Also, hi guys, I'm not back yet, but I'll be back Friday. Don't forget about me and who mafia.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

Would anyone be interested in a cult game?

I'm thinking of running a 9 player cult game, no mafia, with some extra cool flavour. I would stipulate in the rules that you must play to your current win condition, so you can't hope to be recruited, and play accordingly. It would be an open setup, with one recruiter, who gets replaced the day after they get killed, so town can stop the recruiting for one night if they kill the recruiter, but then the next oldest cult member turns into a recruiter. This would make it into a kinda long game, but only one death per day.

The flavour would be (spoiler for effect):
Spoiler:
System Shock 2! Shodan is back!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

I'm back! Let the games begin!
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 am UTC

The Halloween Game Monstrous Masquerade Mafia! is now in signups.

I'm going to have fun with this.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 am UTC

I am totally in and I've submitted my costume idea. Feel free to make it more dark and broody and serious, I won't be offended (in fact I will certainly be delighted). I just am unable to take anything seriously.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

Looking for a replacement for doctor who Mafia. Pm if interested
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:28 pm UTC

MMM Will launch hopefully on Monday. I'm down with some cold-respiratory-deathy thing.

candyfloss

Postby candyfloss » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 am UTC

I'd like to apologize for completely dropping the ball in the last game I was in. Composing well-reasoned posts with little information to go off of turned out to be more difficult than I expected. Y'all make it look easy. :P

I've realized my schedule is currently somewhat too irregular to keep up with forum mafia on my own. Would any mods be okay with me signing up for a game as a hydra? I may have found someone who is interested in playing with me. We'd be in communication via Skype.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 am UTC

Personally as long as it was clear from day 1 and both parties followed all the rules I wouldn't have a problem with it. You will need to get permission from the mod of whichever game you choose though.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

Hm...

Hydra mafia....

That's an interesting idea....

*Begins formulating*

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Hm...

Hydra mafia....

That's an interesting idea....

*Begins formulating*

The main complication with that is you would need two to three times as many players as roles, which with our current population would give you eight at best.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

True. Which is why I was thinking maybe a multi-role Hydra or something. Like everyone is part of 2/3 Hydras. Which might be interesting, but would have to find a way to set it up right...

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 am UTC

I've been thinking on this as well. The problem I see is either avoiding or making workable the problem of information sharing across hydras to confirm alignments. Eg, if all players are in multiple hydras, all of the same faction, then town can have each hydra post who their other hydras are, creating loops of mutually confirmed town

On the other hand, having players in multiple factions has it's own information problems, and raises questions on win conditions

One idea is to essentially run two parallel 8 actor games with 16 players, each player apart of one two player hydra actor in each game.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 am UTC

Perhaps.

Personally, I would include a strict rule that you're not allowed to share information about what hydra you're on to anyone else who's not on that hydra.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

Looking forward to the new year (since I'm the only game left standing... and my flavor right now is a mushy, rotting ever-persistent Jack O'Lantern with Halloween season now far, far gone) I'm considering two new games, one flavor-inspired and the other mechanics inspired:

-Madness Maniacal Mafia (I have a thing for M's going lately)

Basically this would be a "Joke" game of sorts. Partly inspired by "Worst Roles Mafia", but to an extreme. Essentially... the most screwy mechanics and the weirdest roles you could possibly think of. The bastardry of all bastardry games. Utter chaos.

-A Series of Unfortunate Events Mafia

Basically would go off of the flavor of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events books, which fits Mafia really well. I'd have to brush up on my ability to write in Snicket-esque depressing yet whimsical prose, as well as my ability for Alliterative Appellations for titling days and nights.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:52 am UTC

Should I start signups for Jane Austen mafia next week or wait until after the new year to avoid holiday busy-ness?

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:04 am UTC

I personally won't be signing up for anything until the New Year, for what it's worth.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 am UTC

Probably put sign ups now, but say you wont start until the new year? Of course, you might have some people drop between now and then, but at least get the ball rolling?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:44 am UTC

I won't sign up for anything until I get back from a school trip (15.12. or so).
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:01 am UTC

I just posted the signups. I was hoping to run this for Austen's birthday on Dec. 16, but it will end around Valentine's Day, and I think that's okay too.

kalira

Postby kalira » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

LM, if you still need a comod, I might be interested in helping (presuming you get enough players and I don't join as one to help with numbers).

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Hullo all!

There was some discussion in the forum game discussion thread regarding changing the "Mafia" subforum into "Organized Games". This subforum would then include all games where you have to signup in order to play.

As mafia players, what do you think? Bad idea?
-Adam

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

Is there a problem with having multiple subforums? I have a strong preference for keeping mafia separate, but would love to see a new subforum created for "Other Organized Games".

My preference is based on useability. My links are to forum games in general, but I'm primarily here to play mafia and read every thread in this subforum. The subforum showing as unread means I should go in here and read about it. The GoJoe thread is annoying enough since I can't read it half the time, but having other games in here would mean I have to check the subforum much more frequently just to make sure my games haven't been moving.

There's also the fact that it's just nice to have similar games grouped together. I love reading old mafia games (or sometimes need to refer to them for meta research), and having them all here for me to check out makes things so much cleaner and easier.

Someone said in your linked thread that the mafia sub doesn't get much activity. I disagree. We probably average more than a dozen posts a day in here which is a very healthy (if small) mafia community.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I like subforums. A lot. I check back on old Where in the World games frequently to look at past breakdowns of certain regions. While a subforum for that doesn't make much sense since we have maybe half a dozen commited players, I personally would benefit from that. I don't see a downside to keeping mafia as-is and just adding other subforums to fill new needs.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

I also think that mafia should probably stay as mafia.

I think that the problem with having more subforums is that they need to be set up, and I am not sure who is in charge of doing that. If it is any mod, then it might be doable, but if it is davean then I dont really expect any new subforums.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:02 pm UTC

Fair enough!

In my eyes, the disadvantage of having a lot of subforums is the sentiment that "no one goes there anymore, it's too empty". If you check that subforum and there hasn't been a post in a while, you won't be motiviated to check back later. If you don't ever look in the subforum, you won't post in it. Low activity leads to low activity. And nowadays it seems like there's only enough activity for 1 mafia game at a time. A few years ago there were 5-6 games up at any given time, so there's at least less of a reason to have a mafia dedicated subforum than there used to be.
-Adam

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

Yeah, this place has definitely slowed down a lot.

That said, there is still a (small) dedicated community here. I am biased though because I started playing in Mafia, and slowly went to FG, as opposed to the other way around.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

I think keeping Mafia as Mafia would be a good idea. Mafia games are a whole sub-genre of themselves, and should remain as such.

The idea of separating more involved games (like games you have to signup for, as Adam said) and quick, non-committal games (e.g. "Count to a Million") would be a worthy idea (especially since the quick games have much higher post rates and sometimes drown out the slower, involved games), but I don't know if uniting all "involved" games and all Mafia games into the same subforum would be the best idea.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

Seems two games at a time is standard here these days, which isn't bad. I think mixing these in with other games would just make the game much less accessible to newcomers and possibly even slowly kill the game as people quit playing. I wouldn't have joined this site if there hadn't been a dedicated subforum. Probably the HBC folks wouldn't have either. It would just be so much less visible.

Diemo wrote:I think that the problem with having more subforums is that they need to be set up, and I am not sure who is in charge of doing that. If it is any mod, then it might be doable, but if it is davean then I dont really expect any new subforums.

Should be any admin, so I guess Belial would be a good bet. It's really easy to make a new sub from the Admin Control Panel, about as easy as changing someone's name, and I got a quick turnaround when I asked for that favour.
Last edited by SDK on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

When I started there were often 4 or 5 games going at a time, and there were always two or three in signups. It seems a lot slower now then it was (Deva?)
--Douglas Adams

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:When I started there were often 4 or 5 games going at a time, and there were always two or three in signups. It seems a lot slower now then it was (Deva?)

In my first era here, I was in three games at once at one point.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Return to “Mafia”