Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SDK

Re: Meta discussion

Postby SDK » Thu May 14, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

It works. Sort of. But it's not fun. At the end of the month, when the game is finally over, it just feels like a waste of time for everybody. If you were going to do this, make it over chat or even in real life. Then at least you're only wasting half an hour.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

xX_XKCD_Xx

Postby xX_XKCD_Xx » Thu May 14, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

I always thought it would go like "gotcha!" and we'd all laugh. You guys are probably right though, I'll think of something else.
I am a phoenix,
Returning from the dead,
From ashes and dust
From departed and gone
I return with a fire burning like no other
A blaze of glory and might.
-My fifth grade poem.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

xX_XKCD_Xx wrote:I always thought it would go like "gotcha!" and we'd all laugh. You guys are probably right though, I'll think of something else.

There are MUCH better ways to be a bastard mod.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu May 14, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

I helped to design a game like that once, actually. No random nightkills though - it's up to the town to kill itself. We were looking at ways that we could make it more satisfying, and what we ended up doing was creating one role that knew what was going on. They were functionally identical to a serial killer, but their win condition was NOT to be the last player alive, only to have all the townspeople dead (even if the killer had already been lynched). That way, at the end of the game, there's still a winner and a loser and that one player could get as creative as they wanted in how they played the game to try to make that happen since they knew there was no mafia or cult or whatever. There were a few other oddities to the game that we added to make it work better too, but I think the key to running a game like that is to make it a proper game, somehow, not just a joke that only you understand.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 14, 2015 5:49 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Here's the mafiascum wiki page for such a game.

But honestly with no opponents all the town can do is mistrust eachother for no reason. I doubt it would be fun for them.

I swear we've played a game like that here, usually what we call a "bastard game" where there is plenty of ways and times the mod lies to the players. Maybe one of the more veteran players can remember which game it was, but every time there's a very complicated setup (Like Asylem mafia awhile back) people at least suggest that there might not even be a scum team.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 15, 2015 3:19 am UTC

xX_XKCD_Xx wrote:Is it possible to make a game with no anti-town, the town just doesn't know it? Like someone randomly dies every night, but until someone says there are no scum, then the town wins? I don't know if this idea will work or anything, just want feedback.

I ran one of them offsite once:

Give powers to all players, so you have a doctor, a cop, watcher, tracker, and so on.

They are all supposed to send an action on the night, so instead of randomly killing people, you kill whoever sends their action last (usually there's some slow guy that waits until the last moment to send their action: you kill that guy.)

Now, you can make people miller/death miller, so not only they appear guilty to investigations, they appear as mafia when they die. The bastard part is where you tell before the game starts, that there's some player that by <3 days before game over> will become a death miller, and then you tell everyone that they're that person, but that it's illegal to claim it.

What will happen then is no matter what, the first people dying on the game will be town, and the last 3 person to die will flip mafia, so from the perspective of the players this looks like a normal game.

Finally, you give each player the power that if they're the last person remaining with another person, they get a one-shot Day Vigilante power and that if they use it they win as survivors, but that it's illegal to claim this power.

Each player then believes they're the only one with this power, but in the very end, it's a duel, the last two surviving players will believe the other is mafia, and that thanks to their vigilante power they can shot them on the day and win the game.

However, since they become survivors then town does not win, and this last player that managed to get rid of everyone else and shoot first the last day wins the game.

In practice, the game like this I modded kind of broke as some people kind of figured out what was going on, and so, since they had deduced there wasn't actual scum to catch, they didn't even bother to send actions, and were night killed on the nights (probably they assumed kills were random so why bothering to play?)

This setup is suggested for a short game (turbo), say, everyone is lynched every 48 hours (with Saturday and Sunday counting as 12 hours each) there's not a large number of players (this one's easy XD) and the game is "Nightless" (say, people are told to send their power actions in advance, in the day, so the last guy doing it will die on the night - night only falls if two people or more haven't sent their actions yet and the last one doing it dies.)

But it's doable (as long as you get rid of the lame "everyone won!" ending).

New User

Postby New User » Fri May 15, 2015 4:07 am UTC

Vytron also ran a game here where the mafia was the town and the town was the mafia. That is, the town players were told "you are mafia" and the mafia players were labeled "town". It wasn't quite the same thing, in fact it was rather like a normal game except that the nomenclature for roles was swapped around. It led to confusion, but some of us found out what was going on and town ("mafia") won rather easily once we had it figured out. It was Mafia: The Prequel Redux.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 am UTC

That game really annoyed me for two reasons (I was "town" (mafia)). Firstly, he didn't tell us that we were mafia, just that we were masons, and you play differently as town then as mafia. Also, it was much easier to work out that the roles were reversed as town, because you couldn't talk to anyone. The second reason it annoyed me was that he sent private messages to the mod on to another player, which pretty much cinched the loss (to be fair, I figure we would have lost anyway).

So yeah, if your doing that let the mafia know. No reason to let the town know.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 am UTC

Yeah, you can basically check the first games I've modded for useful lessons on "what NOT to do."

That game had a mafia (town) player telling in the open to everyone, that he was going to infiltrate the town (mafia) the next day, and help mafia (town) win from the inside. Then, he DID it, and was like "hey guys, I lied yesterday, I'm actually town (mafia) and said that to gain the mafia (town)'s trust", which was a priceless spy moment. The BIGGEST mistake on that game was to have this role be an actual role, it should have been flipped (the player that is told they're going to infiltrate the town (mafia) and that they're mafia should have been town (mafia)) and then the game's balanced again. I think?

So yeah, if your doing that let the mafia know. No reason to let the town know.

What I've found interesting is this is related to the levels of knowledge of the Blue eyes puzzle, there's an infinite number of possible ways to handle this:

-Nobody knows roles are flipped (as in the game)
-Town (mafia) knows roles are flipped (Diemo's suggestion)
-Mafia (town) knows roles are flipped (they're going to figure it out anyway - town (mafia) just needs more power for balance)
-Town (mafia) knows roles are flipped but Mafia (town) knows this
^Town (mafia) thinks the game is being what Diemo suggested, but it's not.
-Mafia (town) knows roles are flipped but Town (mafia) knows this
^Advantageous to Town (mafia) as Mafia (town) believe they have an advantage because they think Town (mafia) doesn't know, so they can try setting stuff up, leading to confusion because Town (mafia) can pretend to be Mafia (town).
-"Town (mafia) knows roles are flipped but Mafia (town) knows this" is known by Town (mafia), but not by Mafia (town)
^Mafia (town) believes that Town (mafia) thinks this is what Diemo suggested, when actually it's not.
-"Mafia (town) knows roles are flipped but Town (mafia) knows this" is known by Mafia (town), but not by Town (mafia)
^Here, mafia town can create an strategy where they lynch people that act as if they were Town (mafia) pretending to be Mafia (town) that pretends they don't know that Mafia (town) knows roles are flipped but Town (mafia) knows this, while Mafia (town) does not.

Etc.

In theory, there's some expected to happen stuff at level 49 that happens differently at level 50. In practice, role messages would look like this:

You are Town Mason with two other people (lists people), and win whenever your group has the majority.

Note 1: This is a game where Town and Mafia's names are switched around, so you know town players have gotten "mafia" roles, but don't know who each other are.

Note 2: "Mafia" was told that roles are reversed so they know the mafia received "Town Mason" roles and your win condition.

Note 3: "Mafia" knows you received Note 1 above, so they know that you know the roles are reversed, and that you know they have gotten mafia roles and know they don't know who each other are.

Note 4: "Mafia" knows you received Note 2 above, so they know that you know that they know that you received "Town Mason" roles and they know that you know that they know your win condition.

Note 5: "Mafia" wasn't told anything else, so they do NOT know you received Note 3 and Note 4, and you can use it to your advantage because "Mafia" doesn't know you know they know that your received Note 1, and don't know you received Note 3, Note 4 and Note 5.

I guess that's so convoluted that the player loses interest before being done reading their role...

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 15, 2015 10:12 am UTC

Then, he DID it, and was like "hey guys, I lied yesterday, I'm actually town (mafia) and said that to gain the mafia (town)'s trust", which was a priceless spy moment.

This was the bit that annyed me the most. Because I didn't trust him, but then you sent him something that I said in a private message to the mod. Which, in short, guaranteed my death (which was pretty likely anyway)
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri May 15, 2015 10:24 am UTC

Yeah, that was NOT supposed to happen, I thought that message was sent to me AND your scumbuddy, and Snark had access to all scum conversations.

Had I known that message was only to ME I'd have never sent that to Snark, but when I received it I thought you were talking to KrO2. If I didn't apologize back then, I'll do it now because I revealed that to Snark on wrong assumptions that it was Night Chat and not Mod Chat. I'm sorry.

And, whoa! That was almost 3 years ago! It's actually a honor that people remember that game :mrgreen:

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

There was an interesting game on another site I played on where the mafia actually outnumbered the town, but they didn't have nightchat or know who their buddies were. A random mafia player would be assigned as the killer for the Night. I think it was a 9 player game with 3 townies? Anyway, the townies were stacked, super powerful roles to compensate, but the funniest thing was when people realised what was going on. "Oh, yeah, guys! I'm totally mafia!" is not something you see in every game. :P

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Fri May 15, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

I've played that set-up. We referred to it as mole.

The player roles were FBI, DEA and IRS moles in a mafia family meeting. The godfather of the mafia knew one player but was forbidden from expressly stating they knew that from powers in the game.

It's a really interesting and different dynamic.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 15, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

Looking for a replacement for ajh in Best Idea Mafia. It is currently Day 1, so you won't have missed much. Please PM me if you're interested.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu May 21, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

Looking for a replacement for Vytron in Best Idea Mafia. It is currently nearing the end of Day 1. Please PM me if you're interested.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

Alright, I want to talk about something more personal. My meta. A few players on this site have complained in the past about my playstyle, mostly when I first joined here, but a few more recently as well. The trouble seems to mostly be in my Day 1 play (correct me if I'm wrong) which is aggressive, pointed, and often pretty jumpy. I do this to get information out there, and usually drop that play in favour of proper behavioural analysis before the end of Day 1, sometimes going back to it in later Days if I feel like the game needs a jumpstart. I guess I initially assumed that you guys might get annoyed for the first couple games (since it differs from the way most of you play), but come to respect that it does actually produce results. Though my play does get respect these days (probably more than I deserve), I'm not really keen to continue a practice that detracts from the enjoyment of other players. First and foremost this is a game, and as much as I want to win, I want everyone to have fun too.

So! I guess what I'm asking for here is feedback on where you're at personally with my playstyle. Does it bother you? Is it worth it? Would you like me to stop? Be honest - I can handle it - and my goal here is to make sure we all have good games every time.

Thanks.

PS: freezeblade, if you don't respond to this I'll be very disappointed. :P

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

Doesn't bother me and it seems to get more D1 info than we normally do so keep going.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

I enjoy it. I am not the most serious of players, and in general I am an observer rather than a player, but I vote you keep it up.
--Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:25 pm UTC

Don't let other people influence the way you play. I have the most fun when players around me are having the most fun, so right off the bat I suggest you keep playing in the way that gives you the most fun, because:

1.Even if you change your play style, it's not guaranteed that people will like it (i.e. there will be people that liked your old style more); you can't keep everyone happy.

2.Because of 1, if you switch to a playing style that gives you less fun, while the fun of others remains mostly the same (some get more fun thanks to your change, others are more annoyed because of it) the general fun of the game diminishes.

I can speak from experience, the games where I wasn't playing Vytron-like weren't as fun. And it tended to get me nightkilled more often anyway.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

This may be giving away too much about my own meta in this post, but I feel that the playstyle for your D1 does produce discussion, but much like Vytron's playstyle, and Snark before him, it can come off as a easy thing to point at and say "well that's clearly scummy!"

Maybe I seem more outraged about it in games than I really should be, but that's because I think I've only played with you when I'm scum, or lately at least. I do find the playstyle frustrating, because claiming you're 100% serious about a vote over "tone" when the player has only a single confirmation post to their name, is scummy, and frankly a little bit deceving. Because you're not 100% serious (most of the time), you are just saying you are, beacuse it causes more reactions. As a scum member at the time, it's easier to make the conversation about this, then it is to semi-truthfully scum hunt. Confusion and misinformation, big fights between townies and the like, are exactly what scum want, so in facilitating this, it helps scum more than town.

In the end I'll probably still not like it, but I'll mildly comment on it, and pretty much ignore your D1 accusations. This is much like how I still find it hard to read Vytron's D1, or Snark's, when he was still around.

I took the time to write this instead of post in the game, which I'm sure I'll get called out for, but I'm workin on that post too.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

Actually in terms of activity, do people want the mod to be more active about prodding people. Right at the moment half the players have not posted in my game (probably due to the long weekend). How long should players get before being prodded?
--Douglas Adams

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

Well thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. :)

Diemo wrote:Actually in terms of activity, do people want the mod to be more active about prodding people. Right at the moment half the players have not posted in my game (probably due to the long weekend). How long should players get before being prodded?

I think either 48 hours (with weekends at half time) or 72 hours is the way to go. I want everybody to post every day, but I realise that's unrealistic, so you can really only expect once every two days. The choice between 48 and 72 is just how lenient you want to be with that (do you give them a day's grace?), and also how much prods really help anyway. At least half the time when I prod people, they make a short post acknowledging the prod, then make a real post a day later (when they would have posted normally anyway).

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

I'd say 48 hours, but with weekends counting for half the time (so, someone not posting on Saturday and Sunday only add 24 hours to their clock.)

Someone posting every 2 days is fine. Someone posting every 3 days is not.

Also, I really think lurking is a valid strategy for scum players, so if a player is scum and after you prod him they tell you they're purposely lurking, you let them (it's the job of town to lynch lurking players, not the mod's.)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:(it's the job of town to lynch lurking players, not the mod's.)

this is a very contentious statement. There are many players here who feel the exact opposite.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

Dealing with lurkers is the mod's job, asking a scum player if they're purposely lurking is dealing with them.

If the scum player has already convinced everyone that they're town and posting would only be hurtful to them, they should have the option to lurk (i.e. there's strategy involved in deciding if you lurk or not when you're scum).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Dealing with lurkers is the mod's job, asking a scum player if they're purposely lurking is dealing with them.

If the scum player has already convinced everyone that they're town and posting would only be hurtful to them, they should have the option to lurk (i.e. there's strategy involved in deciding if you lurk or not when you're scum).

I agree with you, I'm just saying that in a few cases on these forums, if this is brought up, people will say something to the effect of "well, I would vote for [lurker] but dealing with lurkers is really the mod's job, so I'm going to wait for them to be replaced or modkilled"

The way this is handled should be noted by the mod in the setup or rules post.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

I think saying "I have prodded player X" is enough, you don't want people to know for certain that a player is lurking because they're lurking scum.

(basically, I'm arguing against Adam’s Standard RulesTM's #5 "You cannot lurk", people will never learn to lynch lurking players that are scum if they always assume the mod will replace them. I think this is a reason lurking has been an effective strategy for scum (just post enough to not be replaced) and often town players argue against one another and mislynch.)

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 am UTC

SDK (and Vytron, and everyone else) if you change anything about the way you play to try and conform to a view of what is “proper” for this forum I will be very disappointed! Really, what is the right way to play anyway, should there even be an xkcd way, and who gets to make that decision? (I mean in general, of course the mods may make any rules they wish for their own games.) I don’t think I want to play a game where everyone plays exactly the same way. I like playing with all of you and I think that the differences in personality and playstyle between players is one of the things that keeps the game interesting and makes it enjoyable. And I usually have trouble trying to start discussion (but I'm working on it!) so I like having some more aggressive players around. So SDK, I think you should continue the way you play.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:00 am UTC

Agreed. As long as your goal is truly to help your team win, I see no fault in a play style like that. If it starts a discussion in the game about whether you're doing the right thing, well then that discussion could very well be helpful so I don't see any reason you shouldn't do it. D1 play is usually different from the other days in the games. The later in a game, the more rational the players become because there is more evidence to use for placing votes. The D1 votes are usually for a really weak reason, and players need something to get them talking or else nothing will happen in D1.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:04 am UTC

bessie wrote:Really, what is the right way to play anyway, should there even be an xkcd way, and who gets to make that decision?

While I agree, on principle (we're a melting pot, and all that) I think what is happening is that there's the clear concept of playing wrong:

Being a troll, annoying, argumentative for the sake of argument (i.e. when you don't really believe what you're saying and just want to argue), doing stupid things just to get reactions... heck, I could even add outright cheating by taking advantage of reading Gojoe spoilers or ruining games by getting a mafia role and revealing who're your teammates in the open, etc.

I don't recall ever seeing someone behave like that, anywhere (somehow, it seems the core concept of mafia games seem to attract well behaved and interested people that care about having a good time and helping others, in my experience), but the concept of such a person is there.

So I think what SDK and me believe is that, if such a clear wrong behavior exists, and we don't want anyone to have it, then the opposite must exist: the optimal player, that one that does its best and causes the greatest outcomes of games and situations. And we strive to become that player.

Sometimes I feel very insecure, and that the community would be better without me, fueled by events that sometimes happen, like the time I was mod-killed in a game and revealed a secret word in the open (luckily I think I'm a friend of the mod of that game), or the time a player played to their win condition even though doing so made them change alignment and lose, while playing against their win condition would have made them become cult and win, and I criticized them so heavily that people were banning me from their games. Or when I quit the Auction game because an item didn't work in the way I interpreted it, and I quit mafia games for the longest time.

All these were harsh moments in my mafia story, and they didn't bring anything positive, and sometimes I wonder if I'm in part responsible for some people quitting and low activity (though, that's probably just my ego overestimating the influence I have on things :P )

So I can understand why SDK would want to make an inquiry about what people think about him and his play-style, and whether he should make changes or not. Perhaps if I did that long time ago I'd have saved so much drama (really, whenever I join or mod a game, drama is almost guaranteed), so I'd just want to ask people that have something to say about me, that I should just stop doing or anything that I could change, so speak freely. I think I've been destructive in the past, and perhaps I'll be destructive in the future, but it's never intentional, I only know I'd have done things very differently if I knew better.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:15 am UTC

Vytron wrote:I think saying "I have prodded player X" is enough, you don't want people to know for certain that a player is lurking because they're lurking scum.

(basically, I'm arguing against Adam’s Standard RulesTM's #5 "You cannot lurk", people will never learn to lynch lurking players that are scum if they always assume the mod will replace them. I think this is a reason lurking has been an effective strategy for scum (just post enough to not be replaced) and often town players argue against one another and mislynch.)

If the lurkage is complete lack of posting, the experience here has been that lynching hurts town more often than not. Which is why the maxim of "leave it to the mod" came up. If the lurkage is occasional vacuous posts to simulate activity, then I am happy to lynch lurkers.
Image <-- Evil experiment

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Alright, I want to talk about something more personal. My meta. A few players on this site have complained in the past about my playstyle, mostly when I first joined here, but a few more recently as well. The trouble seems to mostly be in my Day 1 play (correct me if I'm wrong) which is aggressive, pointed, and often pretty jumpy. I do this to get information out there, and usually drop that play in favour of proper behavioural analysis before the end of Day 1, sometimes going back to it in later Days if I feel like the game needs a jumpstart. I guess I initially assumed that you guys might get annoyed for the first couple games (since it differs from the way most of you play), but come to respect that it does actually produce results. Though my play does get respect these days (probably more than I deserve), I'm not really keen to continue a practice that detracts from the enjoyment of other players. First and foremost this is a game, and as much as I want to win, I want everyone to have fun too.

So! I guess what I'm asking for here is feedback on where you're at personally with my playstyle. Does it bother you? Is it worth it? Would you like me to stop? Be honest - I can handle it - and my goal here is to make sure we all have good games every time.

Thanks.

PS: freezeblade, if you don't respond to this I'll be very disappointed. :P

Didn't want to post while we were scumbuddies in occult. I didn't get your day1 play when I first played with you (in chaos?) and used that disagreement to try to distance us a little in Occult. Your day 1 meta is fine, it's a bastard to read because it works basically the same whether town or scum, but it's not something that bothers me and I think it gets the game going a bit. More SDK being SDK for which I will note vote againrule 7a

7. Do not take the piss
7.a) unless it's funny
7.b) other people determine what's funny

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

SDK, I'm guessing I'm probably one of the people you're referring to complaining about your playstyle. To clarify any points that I have made in the past, don't change your style to suit me or anyone else. You play very differently than I am comfortable with. Bessie, on the other hand, seems to play a lot like I do. So it often seems that I end up "liking" her more in games and somewhat end up positioned adversarially (screw you, spell check, I'm making that a word) against you. In both cases, it is difficult for me to read you -- bessie because she seems to think like I do and it's hard for me to tell whether she's coming at things from a scummy perspective; you because your style is confusing to me and it's hard to see whether your arguments have merit because of that. And of course add in that while either of you might have an argument with merit, you could still be scum just playing as you would as town.

I am sorry if I'm one of the ones you think is complaining about your playstyle. I will admit that your style frustrates me especially in early game, but that is not to imply that your style is wrong. Heck, my playstyle probably frustrates you too, with the not wanting to come to hard conclusions or whatnot. :) We all play differently, and as long as we're not cheating, we all play with valid styles. Don't let the man (woman?) get ya down about it, and just keep being you, and some day we will be scumbuddies or something and I'll know your faction from the start and will gladly let you confuse the masses while I sit back and giggle evilly :D
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:
Vytron wrote:I think saying "I have prodded player X" is enough, you don't want people to know for certain that a player is lurking because they're lurking scum.

If the lurkage is complete lack of posting, the experience here has been that lynching hurts town more often than not. Which is why the maxim of "leave it to the mod" came up. If the lurkage is occasional vacuous posts to simulate activity, then I am happy to lynch lurkers.

Depends on what was going on before the lurk. Look back to Matrix mafia back in days of yore, I replaced in a player, read some stuff, thought the lurker was bad, got people talking again, we ended up indeed lynching the lurker, they were scum, and bam. Matrix is also a great example of how recruiting cults are evil and can kill game mechanics if there are not balances. I have yet to play in a recruiting cult game that has worked out balanced, by day 3 they usually have it in the bag and it's impossible for anyone else to win. In cult games, it is best to get the cult gone first and then worry about scum, if feasable. Scum don't multiply (unless, they do, in which case, you're f'd :P)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 pm UTC

@Vytron - regarding that game, I personally hold completely 0 grudges. And I'm guessing others did too

@Lataro - I would totally come back to play another game

@Whoever is modding games right now - happy to join a game as long as people are ok with me rarely responding during work hours (which are 9hrs/day).
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:32 pm UTC

Introduction to Mafia has been created in the general forum.

It's a game meant to introduce new players to Mafia concepts in a simplified way. The game doesn't use PMs, and Mafia can't talk to each other at night. A new spin is that you open a spoiler to get your role instead of the Mod assigning roles at random. It uses a system of communication where it's against the rules to open spoilers not directed at you, ala Gojoe Thread.

(This game has been advertized twice for people that don't check the Sign Ups thread.)

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

I thought you might appreciate this. Apparently, a Russian film studio is making Mafia a movie.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 am UTC

Due mostly, I assume, to the combination of the holiday season and having gotten through a couple of massive complicated games, things are looking a bit quiet now with only Secret Santa still running. I think I might run some kind of newbie-friendly game - either grab an Open setup of some kind from the MafiaScum wiki, or dredge up the Neighbourhood Mafia set-up from my archives, or something. Anyone have any thoughts?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 am UTC

That would be great; I'm going on holiday in Feb though so I personally wouldn't be able to play unless it was very short, so don't take my enthusiasm as an offer to sign up.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:55 am UTC

I'd gladly play either way.
Edit: especially now that I'm dead in Secret Santa.

Return to “Mafia”