[L] Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Mafia - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

[L] Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Mafia - Game Over

Postby roband » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Alive Players:
Spoiler:
2. RoadieRich
3. greenlover
6. DaBigCheez
7. BoomFrog
9. slbub
11. Angua
1 8) Mavketl
19. Chandani

Dead Players:
Spoiler:
Gopher of Pern - lynched D1 (John)
Lataro, Adam H, weiyaoli - killed N1 (Soap, Lenny, Eddy)
entropy - lynched D2 (Rory Breaker)
gojoe - killed N2 (Paul)
Lorenz - modkilled D3 (Barry the Baptist)
FAOT - lynched D3 (Dog)
mpolo - killed N3 (Big Chris)
webby - killed N3 (Plank)
PhoenixEnigma - killed D4 (Nathan)
Last edited by roband on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm UTC, edited 14 times in total.

Lataro

Re: [L] Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Mafia - Pre Game

Postby Lataro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

defirm
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

roband

Re: [L] Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Mafia - Day 1

Postby roband » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

There's no newbies in here, you all know the rules - so I can't be bothered to copy and paste them.

Just be sensible, role claiming is NOT advised (as usual in my games), let's keep the activity up and see how Large games can perform ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog’s Flat

Dog: Dead! I don't know who they fuckin' think they can be, that I won't find 'em. I don't give a fuck who they think they are! I'll kill 'em! I'll fucking hang, draw and quarter 'em! I want you to search the house for bugs. I mean I want you to strip it.
John: What is the point in that? Even if it was a bug they would have taken it with 'em.
Dog: It is too late for you to start thinking John. It is a possibility and that is good enough for me. And after you strip the house, I want you to get every thieving slag this side of Ceylon and torture them, badly. I want to know who is responsible, otherwise I will hold you responsible.

Eddie’s Flat

Tom: Jesus, that wasn't too bad, was it?
Soap: When the bottle in my arse has contracted, I'll let you know.
Eddie: Bacon, see what we've got.
Bacon: Let's have a butcher's, eh?
Bacon: We've hit the jackpot, lads! We've got God-knows-how-much of this stinking weed and a shitload of cash.
Eddie: Tom, take this to Nick the Bubble and get rid of it quick.

Rory’s Office

Winston: We had the gates up but they stuck a shotgun through. Poor bloody J got shot; it was a right mess.
Rory: It will cost you more than your life's worth if you jest with me.
Lenny: Some girl took one of 'em out, he was in a right two an' eight.
Winston: We shot one of them in the throat.
Rory: What do you want, a fucking medal? I'll shoot you in the fucking throat if I don't get the gear back. You shot the one that's in there now?
Winston: No, another one.
Rory: This is more like it. So where's he?
Winston: They took him with; he was still alive.
Rory: Well, what did you shoot him with, an air gun?
Winston: We grow weed, we're not mercenaries.
Rory: You don't say.

Lenny: Who could it be? Where do we start, Rory?
Rory: Mr Breaker! Today my name is Mr Breaker. You think this is a coincidence? This white shite steals my goods and then thinks it is a good idea to sell it back to me. They got less brains than you, Lenny . . . Get Nick - the greasy wop, shistos, pesevengi, gamouri Greek bastard round here now, if he is stupid enough to still be on this planet.

Harry’s Office:

Harry: It's about time you gave my young friends a visit, Chris. Tomorrow's the day and mum's the word. I can't have that, can I, Baz?
Barry: No, Harry, you can't.
Harry: I mean, it's a liberty. I can't have a liberty taken, can I, Chris?
Chris: No, Harry, you can't.
Harry: I mean, it's enough to give me the arsehole. I can't have the arsehole, can I, boys?
Barry and Chris: No, Harry, you can't.

Each night, one lucky player will be visited by Nick the Greek. They will be supplied with a mystery item - that item will also provide the player with a one-shot ability which must be used. This player will be randomly selected.

With 19 players, we require 10 votes to lynch. No deadline as yet, let's see how you get on by yourselves!
Good luck.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Can we get a players list

So, st least four factions is what I get from this.

Dog's gang - probably have nightchat and a kill.
The four friends - Night chat, and perhaps something else.
The druggies - Nightchat and a kill.
Harry and his poker buddies - Nightchat and something that is not a kill.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Player list now in first post of thread.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

confirming - longer post later
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

I am here. No time to comment on setup until tomorrow.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

:?
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

I should probably see this movie, huh? It's hard to guess what the game setup is without a clue who Eddie/Rory/Dog/Harry are... I wikipedia'd the movie, but damn that is a convoluted plot.

I think four factions all with nightchat is plausible, but I have no idea what that would look like. How do we decide who to lynch? Is there such a thing as "scummy"? I'm thinking that my vote will just go on the biggest lurker, if only to promote conversation.
-Adam

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Lataro wrote::?

+1

Off to Wikipedia! Unless someone is kind enough to roughly explain what the heck is going on?
And you thought I was crazy...

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, and I just know I'm gonna get details mixed up with Snatch, another movie of the same genre.

Spoiled below for basic plot details.
Spoiler:
The main characters all pool their money, so that Eddie can enter a high stakes game of cards at Harry's. He reads people well, so is a good player. But Harry cheats, and Eddie loses all the money. So Eddie's crew need to find a way to get money. They overhear Dog's crew planning on robbing a weed operation. They figure this is the best way to get their money. The drug operation is controlled by Rory. Nick The Greek is a dealer in guns, and he sells the eponymous '2 smoking barrels' to Eddies crew, but these guns are antiques, and are worth ALOT of money. Originally, Harry had hired two goons to steal them, but they got mixed up, and sold the guns to Nick instead.

Thinking about it, I suspect:
4 in each crew: Dog's, Eddy's, Rory's, and Harry's.
Nick The Greek would have been an indy, but it looks like they aren't in the game as a character.
Eddy's Dad (Sting) could be an indy, or might be involved with Eddie's gang somehow.
Harry's hired goons (Gary and Dean) could be another faction.

Eddy's Crew: Eddy, Tom, Soap and Bacon.
Harry's Crew: Harry, Barry The Baptist, Big Chris, Little Chris
Dog's Crew: Dog, don't know the names.
Rory's Crew: Rory, Bunch of stoners, don't know the names.

All factions could have a NK, but Harry's almost certainly does. Infina, why do you think Harry wouldn't have a NK? They would be the most obvious, as Harry's crew would have Barry the Baptist, Big Chris and Little Chris.

Gotta go, thats all for now.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

Confirm.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, I'll read up soon and comment. From what I remember though, we're going to have lots of factions and there will be chaos. :P
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Confirming. I'll post more when I'm not on my phone.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Hmm... I wonder how similar this is likely to be to fast food mafia. I vaguely remember breaking that game...

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

I... have never seen this movie before. And have no idea what's going on.
@GOP: If there are four people in each crew, and 19 people overall, the other people are bystanders? Would there be more people in each crew? Is there another crew? Can there be another crew?
:? :? :?

Ninja'd: Fast food mafia...?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Chandani wrote:I... have never seen this movie before. And have no idea what's going on.
@GOP: If there are four people in each crew, and 19 people overall, the other people are bystanders? Would there be more people in each crew? Is there another crew? Can there be another crew?
:? :? :?

Ninja'd: Fast food mafia...?

It's very possible that not all the crews have 4 people in it, but I like symmetry! :)

It's all supposition of course, but the opening flavour indicates 4 crews. 2 of them easily fit 4 members in, namely Harry's crew and Eddy's crew. I can't remember the movie exactly, but I'm pretty sure Dog's crew had 4 members, Rory's had a few more, but they were very minor characters.

Nick the Greek would have been a perfect indy, but I guess they aren't in it due to the mod saying that they give a random item out. I would put Eddy's Dad in, simply because he is played by Sting, who could conceivably be part of Eddy's crew, but I reckon would be indy. The other 2 roles could be filled by Gary and Dean, as they aren't really a part of any crew, but play an important part of the plot. The would be looking for the guns, possibly have something to do with Harry's crew. They could be another crew on their own.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 4 NK's tonight! :P
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Posting to confirm, more once I've watched the movie and read things better.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Here are a couple of questions that jumped out at me for those who know the flavor:

Is there a set "scum" group that we are trying to lynch, here? From what I'm hearing, it looks like most of us are in different "crews". I have zero flavor knowledge (I'll check out the wiki when I got the time), but it seems to me that no one crew looks all that much worse than any other crew. At first, it was looking as though Harry's crew (with its almost certain nightkill and all) was scum, but then GOP's line:
Gopher of Pern wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there are 4 NK's tonight! :P
Really threw me off (unless that was a joke...?). So, if you all don't mind, could we get some more or less set parameters here about who we, as the collective town, should be trying to lynch? Or is this going to be more of the "FFA, indy's getting out of the way" type of game?

Also, did the druggies ever give anyone in the film weed? Because I could see that being a culting mechanism in a game like this. Though, from the same flavor, I don't see them having a kill (shooting someone with a airgun? really?). Mind explaining where you got that from, Infina?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Keep in mind that the game was origonally designed for 26 players. I think a lot of the independents probably got cut out and Nick the Greek was origonally a player but was cut. Still I don't think it is just going to be 4 gangs of 4 all out to eliminate eachother. There's probably two mafia groups with NK and two Mason groups without a NK and they are essentially town. It all depends on what people's goals are, but I sevearly doubt that it's a team-survivor free-for-all. Although now that I think about it there's probably a 3rd NK at least, either a vig or a SK. Is there any character who would fit an SK?

I think I need to go rewatch this movie. I didn't realize this game would be so flavor heavy.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

webby

Postby webby » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:11 am UTC

I'm here, but have little idea as to what's going on - I'll need to read up on flavour stuff.

I agree that we need to decide what our goal is with the lynch - people seem to be suggesting that there won't be a standard scum faction or multiple scum factions? I have a feeling that this game will become much clearer on day 2, but in the absence of this information I guess we can't go wrong by treating it as a normal game and just lynching the scummiest-looking player. Adam H's suggestion of lynching a lurky player also seems reasonable.

Apart from that, GoP saying there might be four nightkills jumps out at me - are you saying that your faction has a nightkill?

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:14 am UTC

I haven't seen the movie (I've been trying to, but time has not been my friend). I'll watch it as soon as possible so that I am flavor helpful.

Chandani wrote:@GOP: If there are four people in each crew, and 19 people overall, the other people are bystanders? Would there be more people in each crew? Is there another crew? Can there be another crew?

That also seems like Chandani saying they belong to a faction. (Seems like most people are anyway, but just one thing that jumped at me.)

As webby mentioned, GoP saying they wouldn't be surprised if there are 4 NK's can also be suspicious. But GoP also seems to know the flavor better than most, so I wouldn't want to jump on that until I have watched the movie.

As for a lynching strategy, I suggest we lynch Lataro before he plays his "I'm scum, you should lynch me" card.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Ooh, netflix has it on instant streaming. That should help when I get some time.

And in fast food, I correctly predicted what the game setup was and was able to form alliances with other teams, essentially making winning impossible for one of the teams. It had 15 players, with four to a team plus an assassin targeting each team. See here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36184

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:13 am UTC

I think I see where infinia was comming from. I think Rory sounds like he has a kill. But I don't think Rory is in the druggies crew. He might be a SK? Is this the movie with the guy who owns the pig farm or is that snatch?

I can't check imdb (stupid china firewall) and the other sites I checked didn't give enough details about each character. I found a main cast list, can someone fill in more details?

Jason Flemyng as Tom - One of the four friends, persumably "town"
Dexter Fletcher as Soap - Ditto
Nick Moran as Eddy - Ditto
Jason Statham as Bacon - Ditto
Steven Mackintosh as Winston - Drug grower
Vinnie Jones as Big Chris With Harry. Super protective of little chris. Maybe while he is alive little chris is a PGO?
Sting as JD - Eddie's Dad. Harry cheats Eddy at poker to get revenge on JD.
Nicholas Rowe as J - Drug grower who got shot
Nick Marcq as Charles
Lenny McLean as Barry "the Baptist" - With Harry
Steve Sweeney as Plank
Peter McNicholl as Little Chris - See Big Chris
Suzy Ratner as Gloria
P. H. Moriarty as "Hatchet" Harry Lonsdale - Wants his money from the main characters
Stephen Marcus as Nick "the Greek" - Likely not in the game accoring to the mod.
Vas Blackwood as Rory Breaker - Scary Gangster, probably has a kill.
Frank Harper as Diamond Dog - Scary Gangster, probably has a kill.
Huggy Leaver as Paul
Alan Ford as Alan / Narrator
Victor McGuire as Gary
Jake Abraham as Dean
Rob Brydon as Traffic Warden - Gets accedentially kidnapped and beat up a lot. Indie Survivor?
Danny John-Jules as the barman

Who is "John" who spoke in "Dog's flat"? I don't see a John on the cast list. I also don't see "Lenny" who spoke in "Rory's Office"
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

slbub

Postby slbub » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 am UTC

confirm.

so with the factions...

Dog's crew: Dog, John, Plank,

Harry's crew: Harry, Chris, Barry, (i'm not sure about little chris being part of the gang, all he did was cursed and be a hostage)

the friends: Tom, Soap, Eddie, Bacon

Rory's crew: Rory, Lenny, Winston

now with out little chris that is 13, leaving 6. assuming that the flavor implies that we pick up at this point in the movie, then most of the drug growers are dead as well as the fifth member of dog's crew who was blown away by gloria, i don't really remember who charles was so he may be another player in this.

i am almost sure that nick is involved in this, but i am not so sure about the 2 goons hired by barry, on that point they are a possiblity for this game, if so then their win would be something along the lines of kill harry or have nick give them guns, based on the heavy flavor.

there was the scene where the shoot out occuring in the nieghboring house to dog's place, between rory's and dog's crews, i am wondering how many/if any are in the game from rory's crew.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Hello I am actually here. That is pretty exciting.

So wow, this is a very closed set up game which means we will not have that much concrete information to go on for a wee while. In saying that we have a lot of flavor stuff to attempt to dissect and attempt to get more information out of.

I will re-read OP later tonight and see if I find anything.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:54 am UTC

Everyone has now read their role PM. If anyone doesn't post within 72 hours (3 days) of this post, they will be modkilled.

If, at any point in the game, you think someone needs a little prod based on activity - make a request. With 19 players to track it's going to be a little hard on me ;)

Let's keep this activity up.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 am UTC

So, I haven't seen the movie, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night*cough*I mean, I looked at IMDB. First thing I noticed was that the interplay between the different factions confused the hell out of me, so I decided that might be a good thing to lay out and see if I'm understanding it right.

As I see it, we have:

DOG'S FACTION (The Gang): HOSTILE towards Rory's
-Dog
-John mentioned in daystart flavor, didn't see other obvious ones on cast list; what size are we dealing with here?
-Almost certainly has an NK (quite militant)

EDDIE'S FACTION (The Friends): HOSTILE towards Harry's
-Eddie, Tom, Soap, Bacon
-Probable "town" faction

RORY'S FACTION (The Weedles): HOSTILE towards Dog's
-Rory
-From daystart flavor, looks like a Winston and a Lenny too, and Lorenz mentioned a J on the cast list?
-Rory psychotic, has a gun; possible SK?
-Probable NK (shootout with Dog's faction)

HARRY'S FACTION (The Mafia?): HOSTILE towards Eddie's, AMICABLY HOSTILE towards Private Contractors, HOSTILE towards JD
-Harry, Barry, Big Chris, Little Chris
-Lots of power, seems most likely to be the traditional "mafia" faction
-Big and Little Chris don't seem to hold any particular grudge, controlled by Harry/Barry; doubt that'd show up in-game though

OTHER (Private Contractors): AMICABLY HOSTILE towards Harry's
-Gary, Dean
-Have to get the guns back; possible roving target (i.e. as someone dies, others can pick up the guns)? Possible lynchers, esp. for Harry?

OTHER (Independent):
-JD
-Harry seems to hate him a lot, maybe Harry could be a lyncher for him if he's in the game/JD is a survivor?

Okay, that actually looks more straightforward than I thought (Harry's group being the only one in direct confrontation with more than one faction), but I likely got mixed up as I was writing this. Other than that, the main thing that pops out is Nick's "gifts", which seem likely to be guns (i.e. a NK), possibly interacting with Gary and Dean in some way.

I'm too tired to be analyzing posts carefully right now, but there have been some interesting assumptions made/stated which bear closer examination when I'm all the way awake.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 am UTC

You're missing a bit there, as Eddy's friends stole the weed off of Dog's gang, so there's conflict there as well.

webby wrote:Apart from that, GoP saying there might be four nightkills jumps out at me - are you saying that your faction has a nightkill?

Who said I had a faction? Anyway, it's not like I'm gonna reveal anything about my role now, that would be silly!

I simply said I wouldn't be surprised with 4 kills, 1 per faction. Dog's, Rory's and Harry's almost certainly have a kill, so I wouldn't be surprised if Eddy's did as well. I doubt it would be a factional ability in all cases, as that would be alot of kills throughout the game, but maybe some factions have a Vig on their side. If there is a traditional mafia faction, it would be Harry's.

Boomfrog, I would gather the traffic warden would be a jester, not a survivor. :P BTW, the pig farm was Snatch.

It's good to see alot of people talking, but alot haven't said much aside from confirming.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

slbub

Postby slbub » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 am UTC

a tought on the "gifts" nick, assuming they are guns, the guns could mean an extra kill for who ever gets the gift

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 am UTC

Ok, I'm playing flavour blind (may try to see if I can russell up the movie somewhere) but we seem to be agreed on 4 main crews in this set up. I'm guessing there will be some sort of town factions, and as this was originally done for 20 something people, everyone being in a crew seems unlikely, so I think we're likely to have at least one type of mafia, and also people who are towny (or at least their win conditions align with town).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

slbub

Postby slbub » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 am UTC

there always is you tube to find the movie in seveal parts (better than nothing)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Entropy wrote:Hmm... I wonder how similar this is likely to be to fast food mafia. I vaguely remember breaking that game...

Breaking it, but still not winning! :twisted: McDonald's rules!

Sorry for that.

The general idea of four factions is pretty clear. I did watch the movie recently, but I was kind of doing other things at the same time, so I'm not a real expert on it. I could see lots of kills or other abilities around. Dog's gang was the one that slaughtered everybody, I believe. Harry's gang is also violent, but somewhat more "civilized". The stoners seem relatively non-violent. Eddy's gang is trying to get money, and weren't all that violent, though I think they did end up killing somebody in the movie.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

Mine stuff was based on the little I gleaned from Wikipedia. I was again trying to start something to get more so I know what is going on. We won't know how accurate our speculation is until at least D2.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Perhaps we will have generic vanilla roles such as Mr Black/White/Green like in the Departed (which roband was also the mod of) to fill in the gaps of people not in gangs/cast list? Although since this was designed for a larger game, I'd probably say there are only one or two people like that.
And you thought I was crazy...

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

I'll watch the movie in the next couple days... woohoo for netflix! Until then, all my info is from wikipedia and imdb (which are almost identical summaries).

DaBigCheez, I doubt it's Eddy vs. Harry and Rory vs. Dog. Eddy's group antagonizes everyone, and the other 3 factions just seem chaotically evil. My guess is: 2 nightkilling factions with 3 players each, 2 mason factions with 4 players each, and 5 independent survivor/jester/executioner (do you guys ever play with executioners?). Each faction's goal is to outlive the other 3 factions.

Angua, what is an example of a win condition that "aligns with town"? In a typical game of mafia, both scum and town have more or less the same win condition: eliminate the opposing team. The scumminess comes from having an informed minority (scum) pose as part of the clueless majority (town). But in this game I think everyone has basically the same level of cluelessness and minorityness.
-Adam

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

But in this game I think everyone has basically the same level of cluelessness and minorityness.

That is only if all factions do have indeed night-chat. If you are in a faction, you most definitely have night-chat.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Angua, what is an example of a win condition that "aligns with town"? In a typical game of mafia, both scum and town have more or less the same win condition: eliminate the opposing team. The scumminess comes from having an informed minority (scum) pose as part of the clueless majority (town). But in this game I think everyone has basically the same level of cluelessness and minorityness.
I was thinking like taking down a specific gang (which is mafia) - I think you can sometime get games where you can only win if you manage to lynch/NK a specific target or group of targets, so if say one gang wins by directly taking out the head of the other gang, then that would align with a town win as well. Or, a member of the gang must survive until the end in order for the group to win, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that group would be against town.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

I think that's GoP, Chandani, greenlover, Adam H and kind of _infina_ now who have chosen to start off D1 with a variation of "Basically there are no good guys in this game, right?" which is interesting to say the least. I definitely don't like the "should we even be scumhunting?" kind of vibe that is coming off some posts.

Actually GoP was more "all factions could have an NK", and I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Yeah, I guess there's theoretically a chance that you are an independent with a win condition that is actually benevolent to town(ish factions), but it seems a lot more likely that your role PM is shining through. We generally* want to eliminate the factions that control kills, no? I think that's something that even not-100%-town factions (like the example Angua just mentioned) could get behind, since I assume they don't want a massacre in N1/N2 either.

weiyaoli wrote:Perhaps we will have generic vanilla roles such as Mr Black/White/Green like in the Departed (which roband was also the mod of) to fill in the gaps of people not in gangs/cast list?
Good point, let's not get fucked by that again. :P

*I SAID GENERALLY.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

I am assuming that some of the groups can more or less coexist, so that there will end up being a sort of "de facto" town that is trying to get rid of the "really bad" guys. But in the movies, these groups didn't have a whole lot of interaction beyond killing each other… I guess we're going to have to see how it pans out. Meanwhile, I think that we need to be looking for people who belong to a group with a kill, simply because they are going to be the most danger to all of us. I am guessing that that probably means Dog's and Harry's.

If I read correctly, this "item" won't be in play until tomorrow, so we don't have to worry about it right now, right?

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Ooh, I was going to try not to lurk this game, wasn't I?

I need to watch the film again, but it looks like this is set just after the film has finished, so I'm not sure how much use it would be.

If there are four factions, it does seem likely that they're all opposed - as in mutually exclusive win conditions - meaning their primary aim is to form alliances with the three "unaligned" players. If two of the factions decide to work together somehow, we could have our work cut out beating them down - let's hope there's no anonymous messaging-type abilities.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Return to “Mafia”