Re: The Evil Auction Game Over! Town and Survivor Win!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

fearless

Re: The Evil Auction D6: The Wire

Postby fearless » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 am UTC

vote matt

fearless

Postby fearless » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:39 am UTC

Think lataro is getting tired as well. I've been useless throughout the game riding on the coat tails of tim and mn. Still I think MN did a pretty good job with this and I can't go against him

fearless

Postby fearless » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 am UTC

Unvote
Vote MN

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

MN has been lynched.

Night Six starts now.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Lataro

Re: The Evil Auction N6: Politics

Postby Lataro » Tue May 01, 2012 3:29 am UTC

There really is no good reason to not have actions in here. Tomorrow morning, my time, this night ends. You got a bit over 12 hours.

Lataro

Re: The Evil Auction N6: Politics

Postby Lataro » Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

MN is dead, he was the mafia thug. He had, Scouter x1, Shotgun, Poking Stick, and In Tune With Nature.

Matt96 was the mafia NK target.

At this time, if you intend to repeat the same actions/votes each day, let me know, and I can calculate how this ends.

matt96

Re: The Evil Auction D7: Weeklong

Postby matt96 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

sure, just repeat it.

fearless

Postby fearless » Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Yeah, all depends on tmg.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am UTC

Yup, rinse and repeat
vote: fearless
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 am UTC

Vote: Fearless
Woohoo 27 more energy for me!

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 pm UTC

On Day 8's lynch, fearless is dead.

Town and survivor win!

Google Doc with all this game in it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 3hrQWZSV1E

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Congratulations, town, you really managed to turn that one around. <evil voice>And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling scummers…</evil voice>
Image <-- Evil experiment

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 am UTC

mpolo wrote:Congratulations, town, you really managed to turn that one around. <evil voice>And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling scummers…</evil voice>
Not really. In my D1 personal analysis I had you and MN both as scum, one mafia the other vampire. I didn't want to say it in thread because I didn't want to get NKed N1. I really wanted to get NKed N2 when I used master of disguise. Alas, I was too aggressive D1 and spent too much energy in my bid. ChickenFish was right, my posted stratagy for bidding helped the survivor most. The best possible bid would have been bidding on almost everything at or near 10 energy, and keep a reserve of like 100.

Thanks for running the super complicated setup Lataro, it was a lot of fun. Although I think the survivor needs adjustment. A open role list means the survivor can claim D1, say "I won't vote or use any powers" and no one has any interest in lynching or NKing him.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Although I think the survivor needs adjustment. A open role list means the survivor can claim D1, say "I won't vote or use any powers" and no one has any interest in lynching or NKing him.

Sure, but scum can also claim survivor, at which point the real survivor almost certainly won't bring the spotlight on themselves by counterclaiming.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 am UTC

Risky move for scum. I can see arguments for the survivor counter-claiming and you never know which side they are going to come down on. If there is a counter-claim I'd probably lynch the first one, since scum false-counter claiming makes even less sense.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
mpolo wrote:Congratulations, town, you really managed to turn that one around. <evil voice>And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling scummers…</evil voice>
Not really. In my D1 personal analysis I had you and MN both as scum, one mafia the other vampire..

Do you think any of the bad guys in Scooby-Doo would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog Scooby-Doo? It was a joke… But I did at least have some powers to prolong the agony.

Chickenfish

Postby Chickenfish » Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Nice job town! Thought we were doomed for sure!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 04, 2012 3:32 am UTC

Chickenfish wrote:Nice job town! Thought we were doomed for sure!
More like thanks for the pity TMG. :p

It's too bad it ended up as a kingmaker situation but it was still a fun game.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am UTC

Chickenfish wrote:Nice job town! Thought we were doomed for sure!

I thought that too, but if it had not been for all the good powers no one had a legitimate bid on, we would have definitely lost at the end, I feel lucky that my obsessive stockpiling of energy managed to help town end up winning, but why did my yelling not activate my power preventing me from taking damage from the NK N6? (only bringing this up because it would have been epic to end with 435 energy, considering that we only started with 250 energy each, and how few powers there are that give energy) except for the fact that it doesn't really matter because I didn't even come close to running out of energy, also I like how everyone else was putting down huge bids on powers, but TMG as survivor who can't bid on powers and gets the ones noone bid on got a huge amount of powers, and I got only powers that help with surviving, but most of my powers I only got because other people's bids on won powers made them hit their cutoff, although it was probably because I had so much energy that I was ignored by the mafia, they would rather use their NK to get a kill than to slightly weaken a guy who it will take them at least 3 whole day/night cycles to get rid of (unless they have control of the lynch, by which point they would normally win, unless they had really low energy left)
matt96 wrote:Vote TMG
RaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I now get to live to at least day 7,possibly night 7

Basically, this was an awesome game, I honestly didn't expect to manage to pull out a win after the mafia had a 50% majority and a survivor who they expected to side with them, and myself as the only townie left, despite there not being a single mis-lynch (as far as I know), and that based on how much energy I got, Demagogue is defiantly OP (especially when combined with lynch vampire)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 am UTC

matt96 wrote:Demagogue is defiantly OP (especially when combined with lynch vampire)
Nothing was OP or UP. Only underbid on or overbid on. That's the beauty of the setup. Bidding makes things intrinsically "fair".

matt96

Postby matt96 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
matt96 wrote:Demagogue is defiantly OP (especially when combined with lynch vampire)
Nothing was OP or UP. Only underbid on or overbid on. That's the beauty of the setup. Bidding makes things intrinsically "fair".

I am arguing that because of the sheer number of highly useful and valuable powers, having a thing that rewards you 20 energy for lynching scum is definitely overpowered, due to being able to use it as a cop that bribery doesn't work on, and giving you 20 energy for lynching scum, and 20 energy is a lot in this game, just look at all the people who died (or had lich activated) by going to a negative energy that is between -20 and 0, Roband, t1mm, Chickenfish, Mpolo, fearless,
People who would have lived if they had 20 more energy make up nearly half of the people who played this game, and a power that would have saved them each an extra day is not inherrently OP? What makes you think that the bidding system can fix that? How did one instance of demagogue end up in the hands of the survivor, did people really not see the power's potential?

Chickenfish

Postby Chickenfish » Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with you there. Something that's OP in the hands of say the AV but not great to anyone else then only has value to other players by stopping the AV getting it. That leaves a large range of bids where it can be 'too' cheap for AV, but not worth it for town/scum.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 04, 2012 5:21 am UTC

matt96 wrote:People who would have lived if they had 20 more energy make up nearly half of the people who played this game, and a power that would have saved them each an extra day is not inherrently OP? What makes you think that the bidding system can fix that? How did one instance of demagogue end up in the hands of the survivor, did people really not see the power's potential?
Well I did bid on it but I hit my cutoff before I got it because I overpaid for what I did get. Especially poisoner which I really didn't want scum to get. Saying 20 more energy would have saved many people doesn't matter if they had to pay 30 energy to get the power in the first place.

Obviously this time it could have been taken for 10 energy since one ended up going to TMG for free, so THIS game it was OP for it's cost. But it is not inherently OP if people had bid more rationally.

Chickenfish wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with you there. Something that's OP in the hands of say the AV but not great to anyone else then only has value to other players by stopping the AV getting it. That leaves a large range of bids where it can be 'too' cheap for AV, but not worth it for town/scum.
Good point. If there are n factions, a power must be equally useful to n-1 of them for their to be a fair price set by the market. I think that works.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Almost every power I got was OP just because I didnt pay anything for them. That said, crooked politician turned out to be quite an evil power at the end, especially combined with demagogue. Who submitted that power?

Thanks lataro, good game.

Sorry fearless and mn for ruining your careful plans.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

Chickenfish

Postby Chickenfish » Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Good point. If there are n factions, a power must be equally useful to n-1 of them for their to be a fair price set by the market. I think that works.
I agree with the logic! If powers were known at the time of role bidding, of course, this isn't true.
That could in fact be an interesting way of doing it - have every submit a town, mafia, and indie role and randomly create the roles to bid on from that! Maybe I'm thinking too complicated... especially seeing as this game was great fun how it was! Thanks Lataro!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 04, 2012 8:22 am UTC

As I said in spoilers soon after my death. I really don't like bidding for roles. It means someone who likes to play scum will be more suspicious whither they are scum or not. And I think that is unfun for scum. So I like bidding on powers, but I think alignment should be randomly decided by the mod.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am UTC

I completely forgot to continue following this game. But we won! Yayyy. Well done all townies but me ;)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 04, 2012 8:54 am UTC

I submitted both Demagogue and Crooked Politician.
Also Groucho and Paper cut ninja.
Shotgun may have been a weakened version of my "Rambo" or somebody else's altogether.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri May 04, 2012 9:25 am UTC

Glad so many enjoyed it, a big thanks to Silknor for running it's predecessor here prior, and for not begrudging me stealing the idea.

I rather enjoyed the addition of other roles and factions to the game, and with the larger cast of powers, it sure was a hell of a beast to keep control of. I spent several hours the first night assigning powers and processing bids, and actually processing night one took several hours itself. I am relieved that this game has ended, as it was a huge strain on my time, which is fairly limited as is nowadays. Like Silknor before me, I wouldn't mind seeing someone else run a game like this in the future, and would really enjoy playing it again. That said, if I ever do, it won't be for a long time. Now, I can finally focus on Star Trek Mafia, where I will be having Krong, the originator of the journal idea, join me as my co-mod.

While my last few games have really lacked flavor, this one due to the sheer amount of time it took to process it, and others due to my laze or other distractions, that will not be the case with this next game. For those who enjoy Star Trek, I will wet your appetites, this game will take place on DS9 some time during the Dominion War saga. I have big ideas for it, and with Krong's help, I promise a solid game with fun and unique mechanics. Stay tuned!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am UTC

Hmm, I wonder if Garak will be in the game... :P

I actually missed out on most of DS9 which from what I heard is unfortunate. I'll still be interested in the game, depending on my schedule of course.

Return to “Mafia”