General Rules (twerked for Resistance):
2. You may not play to lose. This will not be tolerated.
3. Do not lurk. If you no longer want to or can't play, ask the mod as soon as possible for a replacement. If there are no replacements, you must keep playing until a replacement arrives.
4. You may NEVER edit your posts.
5. Questions about the game should be PMed to the mod, or posted in-thread like this:
Bold, on a newline.
How to play The Resistance (please read carefully)
2. The spies know one another but may never communicate privately.
3. The game is divided into FIVE missions. Each mission has two phases: 1) Team Proposal Phase: a leader proposes a team consisting of two to four players; 2) Mission Phase: players vote to accept or reject the mission team, and if the mission is accepted then it either passes (yay!) or fails (boooo!).
4. During the team proposal phase, the team leader (randomly chosen first, and then proceeding down the player list) chooses anyone in any combination they wish for the mission, including themselves. Failure to propose a team by deadline will result in a rejected mission team. Once a team is proposed, the mission phase begins.
5. During the mission phase, all players (including the current mission leader) then privately vote (either ACCEPT or REJECT) on the proposed team. At the same time, any spies on the proposed mission team will privately submit their mission disposition (either PASS or FAIL).
6. The mod will then reveal the results of the mission phase. Every player’s vote will be announced. If the mission was REJECTED by at least half of the players, then the mission never happened. The next person on the list becomes the new leader, who proposes a new team for the same mission. If the team proposal was ACCEPTED by more than half of the players, then the mission results are also shown (number of PASSES vs. number of FAILS submitted by the mission team).
7. If there is just one FAIL on a mission, the entire mission is SABOTAGED. Otherwise, the mission SUCCEEDS.
8. The Resistance wins the mission if it succeeds. The Spies win the mission if it is sabotaged.
9. After a mission is completed (either successfully or sabotaged), the next person on the list becomes the team leader.
10. The first team to win three missions, wins the game.
11. If there are ever THREE consecutive team rejections for the same mission, then after the third rejection the mission counts as SABOTAGED.
The team leader then proposes the team normally.
To use a plot power, declare it publicly in the thread, in bold. All plot powers can be used at any time, except Take Responsibility which must be used immediately, and Opinion Maker which is permanent.
There are SIX different plot powers. Some plot powers have duplicates; these are represented by x2.
Strong Leader x2
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may become the Leader at any time. If this is used before plot powers have been distributed, that player also receives the plot powers to distribute. If this is used during the mission phase, then the voting is cancelled and those votes are never announced. This does not count towards the number of consecutive rejections.
No Confidence x2
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may force a leadership change at any time. The next player in line becomes the mission leader. If this is used during the mission phase, then the voting is cancelled and those votes are never announced. This does not count towards the number of consecutive rejections.
Keeping a Close Eye on You x2
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may select another player on the current proposed mission team, whose mission disposition (PASS/FAIL) will then be PMed to the player who used this plot power, when the mission results are revealed (if the mission is accepted). This use of this power and its target is announced by the player in-thread (probably during the mission phase), and the target will be given the opportunity to change their mission disposition - the deadline will be extended 24 hours from the use of this plot power. If the mission team is rejected, it will be as if “Keeping a Close Eye on You” was never used.
In the Spotlight
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may select another player on the current proposed mission team, whose mission disposition (PASS/FAIL) will then be made public when the mission results are revealed (if the mission is accepted). This use of this power and its target is announced by the player in-thread (probably during the mission phase), and the target will be given the opportunity to change their mission disposition - the deadline will be extended 24 hours from the use of this plot power. If the mission team is rejected, it will be as if “In the Spotlight” was never used.
Opinion Maker x2
The player who receives this plot power must vote publicly on mission proposals for the rest of the game. The deadline for the rest of the players will be extended 24 hours from the use of this plot power.
The player who receives this plot power must immediately choose a plot power to take from another player. This can be used on the current round of plot power distributions.
You are a loyal member of the resistance. Your goal is to successfully complete 3 out of 5 missions. You are unable to sabotage missions.
You are a spy. Your goal is to sabotage 3 out of 5 missions. If you are on the mission team, you have the option to sabotage the mission.
The spy team is [ ].
Important Rule Changes:
-You can talk at all times.
-No spy chat at the beginning, and no spy plot powers.
-Default vote is accept if you are on the team, reject if you are not on the team.
-You no longer choose the mission; you must go on missions in the correct order.
-You can use plot powers at anytime and the use is public. Several plot powers have been removed or changed.
-3 consecutive rejections is a failed mission instead of a game-over.
-Failure to submit a mission results in a rejected team. You can pm the mod at any point in the game to set up a default team in case you miss the deadline as leader.
Team proposal phases will last 72 hours, and mission phases will last 24 hours. A deadline extension may be requested at any time. I will not accept “We could use more general discussion” as justification for a deadline extension. An example of reasonable justification could be a request to wait until a particular player answers a specific question.
As for as the amount of content you need to provide, all I ask is that you play to win, and you never intentionally ignore questions directed at you (if other players genuinely want an answer). If all you have to say is, “I don’t care, just propose the team already”, then that’s totally acceptable content. (Though if you’re just not fun to play with, that may be cause for replacement).
How to play
1. New User - SPY
2. wingedocelot - SPY
3. RaceBandit - SPY
The players required per mission:
Mission 1: 2 players
Mission 2: 3 players
Mission 3: 3 players
Mission 4: 4 players (2 fails needed to sabotage)
Mission 5: 4 players
Mission 1: Success [wingedocelot, RaceBandit]
Mission 2: Fail [RaceBandit, Trineroks, t1mm01994]
Mission 3: Fail [Trineroks, Snark, New User]
Mission 4: Fail [wam, Snark, New User, wingedocelot]
Missions Completed by the Resistance: 1
Missions Sabotaged by the Spies: 3
I have sent out role PMs. Please confirm that you received a role PM in-thread. Once everyone has confirmed, I’ll assign a leader and the game will begin.