Community Paintball Wars!! Game Over, SK wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Community Paintball Wars!! Game Over, SK wins

Postby wam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Paintball Time!

The paintball assassins game has got way out of hand and the dean is desperately trying to shut it down before his precious school gets ruined. He has come up with a complicated system of determining the winner. Using several rooms, voting lynches and the few remaining paintball guns all would be done until one person was left alive, or actually till a group of like minded people were left alive.

General Rules
Spoiler:
Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.
Please stay on topic.
Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers risk MODKILL
If you aren't part of the game, please do not post in the thread
Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread
If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.
You must play towards your win condition.

GAME SPECIFIC RULES (Please Read!)

Spoiler:
All actions will be processed in the order that they are received.
It takes 2 distinct paintball shots to kill someone.
The deadline applies even if the mod is not online to call it.
If at any point a player receives a majority of votes, then the day ends, even if I haven't posted yet. You must not post after a majority is reached.
This is a closed setup. You can ask questions to the mod you probably will not get an answer though.
All votes should be made by posting on a new line, IN BOLD. For example,
VOTE: wam
You must post an Unvote before you can make a new vote. For example,
UNVOTE
VOTE: tim
If you have questions, either post them IN BOLD in this thread, or PM the mods.
You may only communicate with other players by PM if the mods have specifically said you can do so.
Players cannot target themselves.
At the start of each day phase I will reveal the roles, powers and alignment of all players killed since the previous day phase.
If votes are tied at a deadline it will be a No-Lynch
Please CC both mods on all messages.
Please note due to the odd setup Nights will be longer than normal.

Setup

DURING THE DAY

Each day, players must select which room they wish to spend the night in (max 4 players per room, due to PM restrictions). If you choose a room which is full or you don’t select one you will be randomly allocated a different one.
The format for choosing the room is as below:

Choose Cafeteria
Unchoose Cafeteria

AT NIGHT

All players within the room may RoomChat.
In each room there is a gun that will be randomly allocated to one player.
Each gun is set to single-fire setting and will fire only one bullet per night.
The randomly chosen player must either shoot one of the other players in the room, or a player in another room.
Any actions used on other players in the room must be posted publicly in the RoomChat.
Any actions used on players outside the room will remain secret but you must announce your exit in the RoomChat and will not be able to continue your RoomChat after you submit the action.
You may choose to leave the RoomChat at any point by announcing that you have left.

Scum have regular ScumChat at night, via hidden walkie-talkies and earpieces.

Guns are allocated to rooms as follows

Code: Select all

Spanish Classroom |     Library     |    Cafeteria    |    Toilets
 Paintball Sniper | Paintball Rifle |Paintball Pistol | Paintball SMG
Accuracy (%) 85   |        70       |       55        |      40

Players

Spoiler:
1. Xenomortis (ξένο)
2. UniqueScreenname (redemption time)
3. BoomFrog (I expect my promised epicness)
4. Elmach (I'd like my second to be non-bastard, thank you very much)
5. FreezeBlade (There will be blood paint)
6.New User
7. lynx (come with me if you don't want paint on your clothes)
8.Diemo (in the middle)
9. thudworm (let's do this!)
10.KrO2 (Playing paintball in the mooooorning!)

Just waiting for Roband to double check the Role PMs and they will be sent out!
Last edited by wam on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Diemo

Re: Community Paintball Wars!! Pre Game

Postby Diemo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

I'm going to drop my confirmation here, as I won't be around till tomorrow.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:22 am UTC

You probably shouldn't use red as a room choice indicator since that's supposedly reserved for forum mods use.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

wam

Postby wam » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:You probably shouldn't use red as a room choice indicator since that's supposedly reserved for forum mods use.

Noted

wam

Re: Community Paintball Wars!! D1 attack of the paint

Postby wam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:15 am UTC

The school has gone mad everyone is killing everyone in this mad game of paintball assassin. Friendships are being destroyed, mortal enemies are becoming allies and the dean just desperately wants it all to stop!!

It is now Day 1 deadline is 4pm GMT on the 3rd of January.

10 alive 6 to lynch

Sorry for the delays with this game!

lynx

Postby lynx » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Choose Toilets

More later.

lynx

Postby lynx » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Four paintballs will be shot every night, correct?
Do scum have a more standard NK on top of the guns in each room?

wam

Postby wam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

lynx wrote:Four paintballs will be shot every night, correct?
Do scum have a more standard NK on top of the guns in each room?

1) No comment

2) No Comment

Also put the rooms in the more useful table New User sent through thanks for that.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Choose Library

Looks like a cool setup. It'd be best to get one room filled with confirmed town, but of course it's nearly impossible to confirm someone as town in a game of mafia.
I can think of two possible strategies we can begin to employ.
Strategy 1) We all agree to stay our of the Spanish Classroom. Since the Paintball Sniper Rifle has the highest accuracy, nobody can use it if nobody is in the Spanish Classroom. Since four players are allowed per room, and there are four rooms, we can make sure nobody has access to this highly accurate weapon if we all agree that it's scummy to spend the night there.
Strategy 2) We all agree to have at least two players per room. That way, there must be Room Chat for each room, and since I doubt there are four scum players (that would put us at four vs. six which is unbalanced), then there will be at least one room without any scum players.

I think Strategy 1 is better but this is open to discussion. What does everyone else think?

It is my understanding that when we choose a room, we don't immediately enter that room. We only enter the room when the night phase begins. RoomChat can take place during night phase only. Can a moderator please confirm if this is correct?

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 am UTC

Ugh oops that was supposed to say "We all agree to stay out of the Spanish Classroom" in case that's not obvious.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Choose Cafeteria

I don't think a higher accuracy is inherently scummy, but I also think that entirely depends on the scumdar of the person with the sniper, so I can see how it would be good not to utilize it. Basically, I'm ok with it either way. With either strategy, there won't be anyone alone in a room, so it covers all the bases.

I feel like this will be pretty good for town, since the announced actions can confirm people as town, and if scum is around to see it, they'd have to reveal themselves to kill the person.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:03 am UTC

I'm late to the party because my role PM wasn't sent out until recently, but roband, being awesome, fixed the situation.

Strategy 1 makes sense and I would support it. But, you chose the Library. If we were to all agree that using the most accurate gun is scummy, then picking the second-most accurate gun (the most accurate gun remaining) is also scummy. This might not be that bad, since someone has to be in the Library after all, but in context it looked noticeably weird.

An alternate strategy would be to pile everyone into the rooms with the most accurate weapons, so that in the worst-case scenario where scum get the kill, they have to shoot someone they allegedly suspect instead of someone they actually want dead. On second thought, they could just leave the room and shoot anyone, and we can't just decide that leaving the room=scummy.

Wait, what if we do say that leaving the room is scummy? That would probably result in a lot of town power roles having to hold back their power. But, it would mean that scum have to either withhold their kill (to avoid being seen leaving the room) or kill someone in the room with them. And if that happens, then everyone else in the room knows that X killed Y.
I guess the ban on leaving the room would have to not apply to whoever got randomly picked. But I think it might be more annoying for scum than town. Worth considering, anyway. Any thoughts/disagreements/improvements/expressions of outrage?

Another proposal. All we're worried about is what happens if scum get in the wrong rooms. What if we decide the rooms randomly? Have everybody pick another name and roll a random number to determine which room that person goes to. (Scum could lie,of course, but if we're worried about that then we could do the same procedure to determine who rolls for whose location. If we want it to be random, the rest is just an engineering problem and we can make it work.)

Whatever we decide will probably only apply for N1, since D2 we'll have some idea of who is towniest and we can just put them all in the Spanish classroom. For now it's too symmetrical.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:33 am UTC

I disagree with randomly assigning rooms. And as for the idea of leaving a room being scummy, I had already considered that abruptly leaving the room would arouse suspicion.
The gun is randomly assigned each night, and it must be used, which means that a random townie could end up with the gun. My guess is that the RoomChat for each night will largely consist of everyone in the room deciding who the gun should be used against. But it can also be discussed before the night phase begins, although that will take away discussion time about who we should lynch. Lynching should probably be the primary discussion during the day.
The gun doesn't have to be used against someone in the same room, but I wouldn't consider leaving the room scummy unless it's done unannounced. For example, if I'm in the Library and I get the gun, and it's decided that I'll use it on Player B who is in the Toilets, I would announce that I'm leaving the room, then use it on Player B, then when the night phase ends I'll announce the result of my action. If Player B is shot, the other players who were in the Library can confirm I did it. If Player B is not shot, I guess it will be up to everyone to trust that I targeted Player B and it failed. If Player C dies and everyone says that in their respective rooms nobody announced they would aim for Player C, then we'll know that someone lied about who they targeted after they left the room.
Also, I guess I should say that if you get the gun, the final decision of who to target is up to you. It should be discussed in the RoomChat, but if you disagree with the discussion then just do what you want. But you should probably announce who you plan to target. In the above example, if the RoomChat general agreement was for me to target Player B but I instead had a strong feeling that Player C is scum, I'd say "sorry guys but I'm going to leave the room now to target Player C." Actually I just decided that you should target who you want, but it very well could be better to announce who you targeted after night phase ends instead of announcing it before you leave the room. This might require more discussion.
And if anyone has any other night powers to use, and they want to leave the room to use them, I think it would be considered scummy to leave the room without saying so beforehand. Of course, I can see how it would be harmful to the town if you were pressured to announce exactly why you want to leave the room, for example a doctor or tracker role.
And for that matter, the rules seem to imply that since any action used within the room must be announced, power roles might be outed if they don't leave the room. Depending on your power role, it will be up to your own discretion to decide if you want to leave the room or not. I don't think I'll consider it particularly scummy unless it's done without explanation.

I joined the Library because if we go with my Strategy 1 (stay out of the Spanish Classroom), then there must be some players in the Library. I know this looks like wine, but here it goes: I'm town, so if I'm in the room with the most dangerous weapon, it increases the chance of that weapon going to a townie.
For that matter, we could also discuss how many players we want in each room. Two, three, or four. I say, since it will be very hard to determine who is town and who is scum during Day One, then we shouldn't overthink this. If the scum team has three players, they could get one in each of the rooms and then share among each other what is being discussed in RoomChat. I don't think it would be extremely detrimental, since the room chat will likely be summarized publicly in the thread after each night phase. Also, since it will be very hard to determine who is on the scum team, especially during Day One, then it will be very hard to agree on who should go into each room.

Don't get me wrong, it would be better if we could get a room with no scum players inside. I just think it's going to be impossible for us to ensure that happens, so we shouldn't waste our effort.
UniqueScreenname wrote: the announced actions can confirm people as town, and if scum is around to see it, they'd have to reveal themselves to kill the person.
This will not necessarily work. Let's say for example that we are both in the Library, and lynx is there also. I announce to the Library that I will protect USN. It can then be assumed that I am a doctor and likely town. But in this example, lynx is scum. He can send a message via hidden walkie-talkie to his teammates and tell them that I am a doctor and they should target me. They'd have to leave their respective room to do it, so nobody would actually see them target me.

And this post is becoming very long, but I just noticed that KrO2's idea of leaving room=scummy could work if we stick to it 100%. But would it really be enough information to know that X killed Y? I guess it's possible that a scum player X could kill player Y and just say "Sorry I really thought he was scum!"
KrO2 wrote:the ban on leaving the room would have to not apply to whoever got randomly picked
randomly picked for what?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:21 am UTC

New User wrote:Also, I guess I should say that if you get the gun, the final decision of who to target is up to you. It should be discussed in the RoomChat, but if you disagree with the discussion then just do what you want. But you should probably announce who you plan to target. In the above example, if the RoomChat general agreement was for me to target Player B but I instead had a strong feeling that Player C is scum, I'd say "sorry guys but I'm going to leave the room now to target Player C." Actually I just decided that you should target who you want, but it very well could be better to announce who you targeted after night phase ends instead of announcing it before you leave the room. This might require more discussion.

I don't see this, because it can cause more confusion afterwards (and maybe wine? I'm not sure about that). Going out of the room to target someone who is not what consensus stated was to be targeted seems... off to me.

thudworm

Postby thudworm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

So, first things first- I'm completely favour-blind here, any speculation based on role names or such will make no sense to me.

I do agree with the idea of no-one being left in a room to themselves, for N1 at the very least. If everyone is in a room with at least one other person we have a better chance of tracing night actions back to the person who acted. Even though it may increase the risk of outing town power roles (if any), it will also keep scum from being able to act without being noticed, which overall will be a positive for town.

In a game like this what would the likely town-scum split be, 7-3? Would there be any flavour justification for some sort of indie like a survivor?

What do people think about choosing into rooms in a 3-3-3 pattern (for N1, assuming we don't NL)? If there are 3 scum, then odds are we can block them from cornering off a room completely to themselves to act unnoticed, and make sure that the actions of people in each room are accurately reported the next day.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:32 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
New User wrote:Also, I guess I should say that if you get the gun, the final decision of who to target is up to you. It should be discussed in the RoomChat, but if you disagree with the discussion then just do what you want. But you should probably announce who you plan to target. In the above example, if the RoomChat general agreement was for me to target Player B but I instead had a strong feeling that Player C is scum, I'd say "sorry guys but I'm going to leave the room now to target Player C." Actually I just decided that you should target who you want, but it very well could be better to announce who you targeted after night phase ends instead of announcing it before you leave the room. This might require more discussion.

I don't see this, because it can cause more confusion afterwards (and maybe wine? I'm not sure about that). Going out of the room to target someone who is not what consensus stated was to be targeted seems... off to me.

Town using the paintball guns seems to me to be the same as town having a vigilante kill. If the town decides to hold a vote for who should be killed by a vigilante, I personally wouldn't grudge against someone for making their own decision.
Let's say for example that I get the paintball gun. USN is in the same room with me, and she is really arguing hard to get me to target lynx, who is in the toilets. But I strongly feel that USN is scum or indie and wants me to kill lynx for her own reason, not to help the town. I might say, "okay, I have decided that I don't want to target lynx, I want to target Snark instead," but if USN is scum she can send a message to her scum buddies and warn them of who I am going to target. They could use that against us, depending on what powers the scum team has. If I instead say, "okay I have taken your recommendation into consideration, I am now leaving the room to target someone with the paintball gun" then USN (or anyone else in the room who might be scum) wouldn't be able to warn the teammates of anything for certain. The next day phase starts, and I could announce to everyone that I targeted Snark because that was my final decision. It just prevents any scum player from being able to warn their teammates.
thudworm wrote:In a game like this what would the likely town-scum split be, 7-3? Would there be any flavour justification for some sort of indie like a survivor?
I have seen it mentioned in the meta thread that any split could be balanced, depending on power roles. Personally, I expect that 4-6 would be too imbalanced, and 2-8 would also be too imbalanced. So I expect 3-7 if there are no indies. And there could always be indies. Serial Killer seems to be popular in games here.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Given the flavor, I think it's possible for there to be more than one anti-town faction, maybe mafia and an SK, or two mafias. No idea how likely that would be or how balanced, but it definitely fits.
New User wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote: the announced actions can confirm people as town, and if scum is around to see it, they'd have to reveal themselves to kill the person.
This will not necessarily work. Let's say for example that we are both in the Library, and lynx is there also. I announce to the Library that I will protect USN. It can then be assumed that I am a doctor and likely town. But in this example, lynx is scum. He can send a message via hidden walkie-talkie to his teammates and tell them that I am a doctor and they should target me. They'd have to leave their respective room to do it, so nobody would actually see them target me.
This is entirely right. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it. I'm not really thinking of anything strategically valuable at the moment. It's not really my strong point. I do think the person with the gun should reserve the right to not listen to what the group says. You need to trust your own scumdar more than that of others. I can't think of any one strategy better than another for picking rooms, at least not D1. When we have more of an idea what we're dealing with, we should be able to lead that with more focus. Right now, it all seems the same to me.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:47 am UTC

Choose Library

Townie points to New User for the excellent idea of forbidding the sniper rifle. I'd like to further the idea to be even more extreme. We should elect one player to be MTP (most townie player) and let that person solely be in the library. We then pile everyone else into the last two rooms. Preferably scummiest in the toilets. We could do the ranked list and add up points for everyone like Weird voting? (be careful to not discuss what's actually going on in weird voting, I'm only referring to the mechanics of the setup).

Unless scum have a doctor I don't like the idea of leaving the room without announcing your target. Although I guess a scum doctor is possible. (how does a doctor in paintball work anyway? Shield bearer?) However, under my system I think we should ban people in the toilets from leaving the room. And we should ban anyone from shooting the MTP. That way if the MTP dies and the person in the Cafeteria left the room we know who to be suspicious of.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 am UTC

EBWOP for clarity:

Choose Library

It's color=#00BF00 btw.

Also, I'll vacate the library if my plan is agreed upon.

lynx

Postby lynx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:36 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:We should elect one player to be MTP (most townie player) and let that person solely be in the library. We then pile everyone else into the last two rooms. Preferably scummiest in the toilets. We could do the ranked list and add up points for everyone like Weird voting? (be careful to not discuss what's actually going on in weird voting, I'm only referring to the mechanics of the setup).

Unless scum have a doctor I don't like the idea of leaving the room without announcing your target. Although I guess a scum doctor is possible. (how does a doctor in paintball work anyway? Shield bearer?) However, under my system I think we should ban people in the toilets from leaving the room. And we should ban anyone from shooting the MTP. That way if the MTP dies and the person in the Cafeteria left the room we know who to be suspicious of.

I like all of these ideas. It may help to put two in the Library to produce wine over which they need to kill, we'd need two towniest though which could be difficult.

While I see why it's important that everyone uses their own judgement on who to shoot at night, we have to remember that the lynch is our most powerful weapon.
I think that whoever gets the gun should announce who they are going to target with it, so we can watch the flip in the morning and see if they told the truth.

Ideally, we'd have all the scummiest players in the toilets and people leaving the other two rooms to shoot them.
I was going to elaborate, but something has come up and I'll have to come back to this later!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

That won't exactly work though, because it takes two shots to kill somebody. Unless several people target the same person, we won't know whether they did what they said they would or not.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

Just realised I haven't posted in this thread at all.

Choose Cafeteria
I guess I don't really mind where I go N1 though.

I would avoid any plan involving using the gun in the Spanish classroom; since the gun is awarded randomly, we can't be sure a 'townie' person is going to get it and control a potential kill. Unless of course only one person goes in, but even then we wouldn't know which gun scored a NK nor if they followed any agreed plan.

So yeah, I'm ok staying out of the spanish classroom, at least for the first few nights.

And I don't think leaving a room at night is particularly scummy, but I think that's more because I don't think *staying* in a room is particularly 'townie'.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:12 am UTC

Actually, lynx is right, we should just choose a 2nd scummiest person, stick them in the toilets and have everyone shoot that guy (or gal). Of course there's no way to check who the cafeteria/library gunners shot and its still possible scummypants will get only hit once (or even none), but I don't see any good reason to not try to use the guns as a second lynch. My only strong objection is it's kinda boring... :p

Assuming the scum team has secret extra guns, they probably get two shots a night and don't have to target the same person (or they have 3-4 guns with miss chances adding up to an average of two shots a night). But anyway my point is that going "vig" and targeting someone on your own will never kill them so if they are scum you did nothing and if they are town you weakened them. So we need to focus our fire at night.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 am UTC

I had forgotten that it takes two shots to kill until USN posted it. But I don't think that changes anything I've suggested about strategy. And I still predict that RoomChat discussions will largely consist of discussing who to shoot with a paintball, even if one shot doesn't kill.
Of course, discussing it during the day actually makes more sense now that I know it takes two shots. If we want to coordinate who to kill, we'd have to do it before the night phase begins since no two townies with a gun would be able to communicate at night.
I'd like to hear from Diemo and freezeblade.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 am UTC

BoomFrog is making a lot of sense. I doubt that his plan is optimally effective, but it's probably the best for its amount of effort.

Using the room guns as vig kills wouldn't work because usually we know that if there is a vig then they are town. In this case, we wouldn't have that bit of information and I think it makes a difference. Normally we don't mind (much) if the vig shoots someone other than the consensus candidate; that's because we know that any vig is town. If we didn't know that, then we there would be a problem. From the point of view of someone who doesn't have the gun, they don't know if the wielder is town or not and so can't trust them. From the point of view of the person who gets the gun, they know that everyone else doesn't know their alignment. This is part of the reason why I prefer using them as a second lynch if we can.

I just realized that 1) the guns in each room will usually go to town, proportionately based on whatever numbers we have, and 2) someone brought up the idea of scum not having an NK aside from the guns in each room. Because of that first thing, the second thing would be too good to be true. So FoS lynx.

P.S. Roband is great at writing posting restrictions.
If he's the one responsible. Regardless, I wouldn't be able to keep this a secret if I wanted to.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:28 am UTC

Woah. lots of long posts. I'll read them through tomorrow, I promise. I'm traveling between Christmas and new years, so I won't be home until the 2nd. I promise that I will post tomorrow with thoughts though.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 am UTC

KrO2 wrote:P.S. Roband is great at writing posting restrictions.
If he's the one responsible. Regardless, I wouldn't be able to keep this a secret if I wanted to.

So there are post restrictions going around?
Does anyone else want to claim any now? I don't have any I'm aware of.
I only ask because late claims of such things tend to be suspicious and I don't think the knowledge is of much use to scum.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:EBWOP for clarity:

Choose Library

It's color=#00BF00 btw.

As long as it's somewhat green - you'll be ok.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:12 am UTC

I think BoomFrog will have no problem remembering that particular hex string.

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

KrO2 wrote:I just realized that 1) the guns in each room will usually go to town, proportionately based on whatever numbers we have, and 2) someone brought up the idea of scum not having an NK aside from the guns in each room. Because of that first thing, the second thing would be too good to be true. So FoS lynx.

There are a number of mechanics that could balance this for scum. Why are you assuming scum will have an NK?

A second lynch would be great though--we can have an underlined vote, and if you are town and get the gun, you go for the top candidate.
KrO2 is right that we can't trust whoever gets the gun, and I don't like the idea of scum shooting a strong member of town and bringing up flimsy reads on them.

Also, wam loves cults so let's be wary of any evidence for them. I can't think of any specific flavour justification for that from the two paintball episodes, although there were other factions like the math club and glee club who could make an appearance.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

I also think the mafia would probably have something besides just the paintball guns to use. The only other way I can imagine it would make sense for them is if they somehow have the power to hit with 100% accuracy, or if they can kill with only one shot. Or maybe if they can fire more than one shot at a time if they get the gun.
To put it another way, if the paintball gun mechanics in the OP are taken at face value, the mafia would be at a huge disadvantage. We already know there are more town than mafia (barring independents. We actually know that the sum of town and indies is greater than the total starting mafia. If mafia were equal or greater they would control the votes and would win already). That means the mafia has a lower chance of being randomly assigned a gun, compared to non-mafia. Combine that with a less than 100% chance of half-killing their chosen target, and you'd have a pretty weak mafia team.
I suppose it's possible that they have power roles besides just killing that the moderators expect them to use to have a fighting chance. But for now I assume a traditional NK, or at least some way for them to buff the paintball guns.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 am UTC

I suppose it's possible that there is no scum NK. Probably anything is theoretically possible to balance. But that is no more likely in this game than in any other game, so I'm very much fine with the assumption. Are you arguing that they don't/might not?

Roband fact: If roband is vanilla town and everyone else is mafia, the game is balanced.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 am UTC

Your posting restriction is seriously that you have to talk about Roband every post?

Can someone who saw the paintball episodes give a little synopses about how it could translate to the game? What was the original premise? What did the glee club and math club do?

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 am UTC

I <3 the paintball episode. The school was having a paintball competition that was originally to win a DVD player, but that was stolen, so the prize became priority registration for the next semester's classes. Anyone that's gone to school knows that is an amazing prize, and so the school was immediately turned into a war zone. The show is already based on the idea of different cliques and factions, so those different cliques and factions essentially became paintball teams. I can't remember whether all of the protagonists of the show were in the same group, and the glee club and math club lost (but that's because a main character was supposed to win per the rules of television), but it wasn't obvious that one group was better than another, that one group deserved to win, other than the fact that we see some of the players every week. That's one of the reasons I said I could see two different mafia teams. I think literally any arrangement of factions would be plausible based on the flavor.

thudworm

Postby thudworm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 am UTC

Two of the suggestions so far I think will work well are the the idea of electing a most townie player to get the highest accuracy gun, and using the guns as a second lynch by aiming at the second scummiest. Using ranked lists (as in Weird Voting) was suggested for selecting the MTP, which would also work as a way of choosing the night target to be shot at.

Someone who was actually in that game would have a better idea than me if that method would be more open to gaming the system so to speak, than just using underlined votes to choose a target through majority.

Choosing a room is something I'm happy to do later on, once a distinct strategy for placement has been decided.

I have no post restriction to speak of, but I do have a limited number of paintballs, which leads me to ask

Once a player has exhausted their supply of remaining paint balls is it still possible for them to be allocated the paint gun, or will it only be distributed to a player who will be able to use it?

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:55 am UTC

Anyone in the room can be allocated the gun. Whether they can use it or not is a different matter.

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 am UTC

thudworm wrote:Using ranked lists (as in Weird Voting) was suggested for selecting the MTP, which would also work as a way of choosing the night target to be shot at.

Someone who was actually in that game would have a better idea than me if that method would be more open to gaming the system so to speak, than just using underlined votes to choose a target through majority.

The problem I see with that is that those lists took a while to collate, and we don't need to be using half the day trying to get everyone organised on that.
We need to play this normally for the time being I think, and if we're going with BF's plan we need a towniest player and underlined votals.
If that doesn't work, lists might be on option but I think we'd be better off using that time to scum-hunt.
BoomFrog wrote:Your posting restriction is seriously that you have to talk about Roband every post?

It looks like he has to compliment him.

Now, on to more important things.
UniqueScreenname wrote:I don't think a higher accuracy is inherently scummy, but I also think that entirely depends on the scumdar of the person with the sniper, so I can see how it would be good not to utilize it. Basically, I'm ok with it either way. With either strategy, there won't be anyone alone in a room, so it covers all the bases.

This unwillingness to commit to an opinion plus an insistence on two mafias or an SK lead me to believe she's mafia.
Vote: USN

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

My opinion is that either option works. I didn't think using the highest accuracy gun was inherently scummy, and with the idea of putting a most townie person there, i was right, but i had forgotten that anybody could get the gun. I'm used to vig kills. I like the ideas we've been having recently, and I think it's weird to go back to something i said at the beginning when we had nowhere near as much discussion. Also, I'm not insisting anything. I'm stating an opinion.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

I want to nominate thudworm for being in the Spanish classroom. Volunteering the information about the weaponry was not a scum thing to do. I'm not 100% sure whether announcing it was good strategy (answer: probably), but I'd be surprised if thudworm is mafia.

Roband Fact: roband is the towniest person in this game. Even though he's not playing. roband is the towniest person in every game.

I don't have to do this literally every post, but I plan to do it most of the time even when it's not required just so I don't have to keep track.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

I still think the Spanish Classroom should remain empty. I am fine with thudworm being in the Library though.
Also, I think the lists are a fine way to proceed. I'll go ahead and make my list, with a brief description of why the players are there.
Town
thudworm - I agree with what KrO2 said, since if thudworm's claim is true it's unlikely to be a scum claim.
BoomFrog - it makes me uneasy that he seems to be buddying with me, calling me town all the time, but then again he has put forth strategy ideas that seem helpful to the town
KrO2 - Participating in the strategy discussion like BoomFrog
USN - ditto, but she seems to have ideas that are a bit weaker. Still generally towny content
lynx - of the players who actually have content, his is the scummiest. Opposed to lists like this one, seems to be arguing that the scum team doesn't have a NK. Still, not everything he has said is scummy. The idea of having the scummiest players in the toilets for example: if the scum team can only use the least accurate weapon, that would of course be better. But if there aren't any town players there, it guarantees that the scum team would get the Paintball SMG. My overall read on lynx is slightly scummy.
Xenomortis - little content. Better than everyone below him on the list, but worse than lynx. At least lynx is trying.
Diemo - no content. He has actually posted nothing at all other than a confirmation post, which means that he would probably be modkilled or replaced for inactivity unless he becomes active.
Elmach - the bare minimum content
freezeblade - no content. Furthermore, when we were in the Random Newbie Game he was scum and noticed that I fell for calling an extreme lurker town. It's possible that he is going for that strategy of "lurking too much to be scum". That is the only game I have ever witnessed him play, and since he has provided no content in this game I must resort to a meta-read.
Scum

I am fine with lynching a lurker, either Elmach or freezeblade since Diemo is more likely to simply be replaced. This game still has almost a week until the deadline though so I'm not in a rush.

Vote: freezeblade

Return to “Mafia”