Lataro's Simple Fun Game Over: Town wins.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Re: Lataro's Simple Fun D1: Fun Time With Randomness!

Postby wam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

If snark turns up town your going to look really bad!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

EBWOP

Thats aimed at madge btw.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

wam wrote:If snark turns up town your going to look really bad!
Unvoting a townie and voting someone else makes you look really bad? Why, may I ask, is that?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
wam wrote:If snark turns up town your going to look really bad!
Unvoting a townie and voting someone else makes you look really bad? Why, may I ask, is that?

It was meant to say scum. Sorry my brain is fried.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

FOS Madge for what-would-have-been a last minute vote change, and for lacking evidence to support his vote. Particularly "...my suspicions of eculc are validated by the wisdom of crowds." He did express suspicions previously, but I just dislike the strategy of having an opinion and then waiting for others to come up with the evidence.

I also find it strange you didn't change your vote to Eculc only after there are sufficient other votes to swing the lynch in his favor.

I can't tell if it's sheeping and hoping that his past comments against Eculc will give him some safety, or just semi-tunneling.

I'm not saying that the current arguments against Eculc are wrong, I just find Madge's particular attack on him to be weak and suspicious.

And all of the distracting descriptions of food where discussion should be don't really help.

Wam I am rather confused by everything that you are doing on this page.

Suzaku makes a good argument against voting for Snark on strategy alone. Whilst Snark COULD be the assassin, who has an unstoppable kill, it doesn't make sense for him to ask the RoleBlocker to out if he was scum, since that would make it a lot harder to kill the RoleBlocker, who would then have two docs on him. So he is basically either town or assassin.

Unless he wanted the RoleBlocker to out such that the assassin could take him out and therefore eliminate a dangerous townie more quickly.

I am going to think about this more and post later.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:So he is basically either town or assassin.
If you believe this, this is reason NOT to vote me. I'm less likely to be scum than anyone else by virtue of not being mafia.

ALSO, assassin shouldn't be our first priority. They only have a 1-shot kill and even if the assassin finds their mark, they leave the game with their win. It's not a game over. And if they miss their mark, they have a chance at hitting mafia for us.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Unvote
Vote: wam

I'm not actually suspicious of eculc. I was just voting out of self-defense. I'll switch back to eculc if I have to to survive, but I'd prefer a wam lynch. Also suspicious of Silknor/Bartimaeous. Or however you spell it.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:Wam I am rather confused by everything that you are doing on this page.

What I was trying to say is what you said much better.

Madge's switch looks a bit iffy. If snark comes up scum (Not town) later she will look really bad as if she was trying to save her scummate.

Sorry its been a v long day.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:Suzaku makes a good argument against voting for Snark on strategy alone. Whilst Snark COULD be the assassin, who has an unstoppable kill, it doesn't make sense for him to ask the RoleBlocker to out if he was scum, since that would make it a lot harder to kill the RoleBlocker, who would then have two docs on him. So he is basically either town or assassin.

Unless he wanted the RoleBlocker to out such that the assassin could take him out and therefore eliminate a dangerous townie more quickly.

Emphasis added. Don't fall into this trap. "Snark can't be scum" doesn't follow from "Snark did one thing that might be inconsistent with certain scum setups." People make mistakes, people toss wine in your eyes, and it's all too easy to take things at face value. There's obvious reasons why the scum might want to know the roleblocker (help the assassin, roleblock him themselves, the fact that there's a 50/50 chance the town "roleblocker" is actually a jailkeeper and thus doesn't have doctor protection).

And I rarely buy into the "we should go for this anti-town faction on Day 1 over this one" argument. Scum suspicions are rarely that specific if you're willing to admit that there's great uncertainty, especially on day 1. Obviously I agree that if we actually had the choice, which no one has ever had on Day 1, between scum and anti-town independent, I'd vote to get rid of a scum. But we don't. And all else equal, killing the assassin earlier is better.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Why wam? I reread his posts and I don't see anything suspicious. Carlington voted because he thought wam wouldn't get lynched (hilariously causing a bandwagon, sort of :lol: ). Christophoros voted because wam suggested vig target Snark. Snark voted because he doesn't think eculc is scum.

I sort of understand Christophoros' reason, but there's better stuff to go on.

Basically, I suspect Snark's vote on wam is the ultimate self-defense vote, and eculc and Snark are the two scum. That, or Snark is trying to make us think that's the case. Or Snark is trying to make us think that he's trying to make us think that's the case. Dammit. :P
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I suspect Snark's vote on wam is the ultimate self-defense vote, and eculc and Snark are the two scum.
I can't win.

I'll gladly change my vote back to

Unvote
Vote: eculc

As I'm actually shooting in the dark, and this vote is more likely to save my hide.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Well, since it seems to me that I'm probably going to be lynched today, I'd suggest to everyone that you take a good look at those bandwagoning on me tomorrow.

I don't have anything to claim that would save my life, so good luck to the rest of town and maybe I can still get a win from all of this along with everyone else.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

I believe you, but not more than I believe myself. I'll vote wam if you put your vote on wam instead of me.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Unfortunately snark, I'm not sure how willing I am to accept that. In the event that I am wrong and you get lynched falsely, I'm sorry, but clearly I'm not the only one who thinks that you might deserve it.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Bleh...

Eculc has been cool under pressure, Snark has been desperate. Three times now he's voted in self defense (first eculc, then wam, then back to eculc). It He's given no explanation other than he doesn't want to die, but he claimed VT so it's not like he's trying to save a power role from being lynched. If we're going to mislynch, then we should mislynch Snark. If Snark thinks eculc and wam are town, then he shouldn't be acting so damn scummy. :P

Unvote (eculc)

Vote: Snark
-Adam

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

EBWOP:
Adam H wrote:If we're going to mislynch, then we should mislynch Snark. If Snark thinks eculc and wam are town, then he shouldn't be acting so damn scummy.
That came out wrong. I meant that if town!Snark knows we're going to mislynch, then he should want to be mislynched.
-Adam

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

The more Snark talks, the more he makes me think he's scum. Everything he's saying is reeking of desperation, and his latest posts are literally just grasping at straws, not actually adding anything that I can see to the discussion regarding other people. wam on the other hand has seemed calmer and been more rational.

Therefore:

Unvote: wam
Vote: Snark
"Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake."

"Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement."

Never Forget

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

I don't think wam is town. Where did I say that?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Sorry, I was projecting. I forgot about this:
Snark wrote:Continuing content: scum guess: wam, Silknor, and Bartimaeus.

Everyone happy now?

Still, without giving any reasons, I kind of have to assume you are scum forced to guess that random townies are scum.

I will say this: if you come back town, I'll suspect those three a lot more. You have a decent track record of doing this as town and somehow nailing your scum guesses.
-Adam

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Unofficial votals:
Votals:

eculc - 4 - Madge, wam, Suzaku, Snark
Snark - 6 - Silknor, USN, eculc, Bartimaeus, Adam H, Christophoros
wam - 1 - Carlington
Carlington - 1 - Phredd94

Snark is at L-1

Everyone is voting.

Gotta run for a bus, more later as work permits.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

I want to say my last minute vote change was because I'd been hemming and hawing about my decision for a few hours (really whenever I got a topic reply notification in my inbox), and because Snark's desperate behavior is consistent with his meta.

That said, I don't have a clue anymore. At least both our lynch targets have effectively claimed VT so we're not losing a PR by voting them out (though we are losing a shot at having the Chosen).
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

I apologize for the musings and rambling to follow.

I'm less sure about Snark than I was before, but only based on meta. But meta can change at any time, so I don't feel an overwhelming urge to unvote, especially since my other scum read has no votes on her and moving there would be a useless gesture.

eculc had one post of real scumhunting in direct response to me accusing him for not scumhunting. I don't really like that. I think that's more of a real bona fide scumtell than anything Snark's done. Crap, if I switch though the votes will be tied. I'll switch if someone else does, but I don't want to pressure anybody. I'm not happy with this lynch really. I still have serious pings from Madge, and if it would make any difference I would vote for her.

Ninja'd: what does that last part mean?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Which part of the last part confuses you? I'm at the point where I'm not sure who to vote for, both of them have their reasons, and I still have no idea.

Snark claimed VT, and eculc said something cryptic about us not losing a PR by voting for him. We all know we don't want to mislynch a power role; so worst case scenario (either target isn't scum), we're not at risk of losing a PR. However, Lataro has said that one of the VTs will be told which variations on the setup are being used, so each VT is kind of valuable for that reason. But I'd be happier losing a chance at knowing our setup than I would losing a doctor, since if this was a closed setup we'd have no idea what was going on anyway.

Also, Bartimaeus, I'm female (Madge is a girl's name) so please use female pronouns. Thanks.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

You meant the Chosen VT who gets the setup info. Got it now.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:16 am UTC

I've been thinking a lot, and I've realized that that "unless..." part of my last post is the most important. Even if Snark ISN'T the assassin, there's a good chance that he's mafia, and a better one than anyone else right now.

A lot of others are suspicious right now, but I think that Snark is our best option.

Madge wrote:Also, Bartimaeus, I'm female (Madge is a girl's name) so please use female pronouns. Thanks.

Sorry about that, I'll make sure to in the future.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:...and a better one than anyone else right now.

A lot of others are suspicious right now, but I think that Snark is our best option.

I started writing the same thing, then forgot and wrote it on a different line. I didn't mean that he's a better mafia.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Snark was lynched!

Get night actions in ASAP, if it's not submitted in 48 hours, it doesn't happen.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Lataro

Re: Lataro's Simple Fun N1: Sleepy Time

Postby Lataro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Deadline will be extended to 24 hours from right now, due to me having to deal with stuff, and not being able to be online again to call deadline and process the night til that time.

Lataro

Re: Lataro's Simple Fun N1: Sleepy Time

Postby Lataro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Everything is in, and I got time again! Sorry for the delay yesterday!

Snark was lynched and died. He was Vanilla Town.

USN was killed last night. She was the Assassin.

Adam H was killed last night, he was a One-Shot Vig.

Nine alive, five to hammer! Deadline is about this time next week!

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Re: Lataro's Simple Fun D2: Dead People

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

So. While it's unfortunate snark turned out to be town, it's nice to know that we no longer have an assassin in our hair.

Also unfortunate that adam is now dead with a 1-shot vig (Possible that he used it last night on USN?) It doesn't help us narrow down our setup much, though we know that we're not in setup A (and there's only one possible setup from section B).

Don't have much to put here yet but expect more content later.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Oh, sorry, meant to announce as well. Boomfrog has replaced Phradd94.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

If I am a cop:
Spoiler:
If I am a cop, I investigated wam and got town.

Why are you reading this? :)

All setups remain possible, however, game C is the most likely (has Assassin and Vig by default), and game A is least likely (only one without an Assassin or Vig, and the chances of both of those variations being active is relatively small).

@eculc, game A is possible, Variations 1 and 6 would have to both be active. And I can't help but notice you didn't post an if I was a cop.

Welcome, Boomfrog.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

sorry, forgot about the IIWAC there. Also, I thought only one variation could be active at a time?

anyways,

If I was a Cop:
Spoiler:
I targeted adam H and got a result of town

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Setup used is determined like this. I roll a four-sided die, it picks what game. I then roll an eight-sided die, result of 1-6 determines that that many variations will be used, result of 7 or 8 means no variations will be used. A six-sided die is then rolled as many times as needed to select which of the unique variations are used.

So anywhere from 0 to all 6 variations can be active at once. The probability of a given variation being active is (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6/8=.4375. The probability that any two variations are active is thus 19.1%.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 am UTC

If I was a cop
Spoiler:
I copped eculc and got town

Anyway, the assassin going down means that our town PR has less issue with claiming. Gov/Tracker/RB/Jailkeeper (minus whichever have been ruled out), do you feel as if you're safe claiming? (I think an RB would be safe claiming now but I also think the flips have ruled that out, right?)

(can you tell I really want to know which setup we're in? This is driving me BANANAS and if Snark was the Chosen VT then I'm furious)

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 am UTC

If I was a cop:
Spoiler:
I targeted Madge and got a result of Town.

That's all I have time for right now, more this evening, I hope.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 am UTC

I don't think it's a good idea for the town PR to claim yet, as it's very possible there's no doc to protect them and they'll wind up dead tonight.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Madge wrote:Anyway, the assassin going down means that our town PR has less issue with claiming. Gov/Tracker/RB/Jailkeeper (minus whichever have been ruled out), do you feel as if you're safe claiming?

That question...just wow. Not, "is it safe for the town power role to claim?", but instead a flat out request that they claim. I don't know if that was the world's worst thought out trick question or a very subtle joke (I recommend using a smiley when making such a subtle joke :D ).

(I think an RB would be safe claiming now but I also think the flips have ruled that out, right?)

No, a RB is not ruled out. Nothing is ruled out. And the only way anyone can know which game we are in is if they are either a town power role or scum. And after I've posted twice that, based on what we all know, no games can be ruled out.

You are correct however that if the town has a roleblocker, they could claim with relative safety. Of course, in that case, it is likely the scum have a roleblocker as well, so the benefits are more limited than they would otherwise be.

So I count two strikes in a single post. It's a good thing your post wasn't particularly long.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Hello, I'm replacing Phradd94. I'm catching up now but probably can't post significantly until after the weekend. Anyone doing a little summery of D1 would be appreciated.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:00 am UTC

If I am a cop...
Spoiler:
I investigated Eculc and got town.

Are vig kills processed before mafia kill?

I'll post more tomorrow; I'm far too sleepy currently.

Return to “Mafia”