"Zombie" Apocalypse

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: "Zombie" Apocalypse

Postby scarecrovv » Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

ThirdParty: That's the most awesome thing I've read on the fora in a long time. You're amazing.

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

@ThirdParty,

That was downright chilling! I was really enjoying it, thinking it was just a light-hearted tale. Then I read the shock line:

Rand Paul, the last President of the United States

Jeez, you really got me! I'm gonna have nightmares for a week!

:wink:

(Apologies to Rand Paul fans!)

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

qetzal wrote:That was downright chilling! I was really enjoying it, thinking it was just a light-hearted tale. Then I read the shock line:
ThirdParty wrote:Rand Paul, the last President of the United States

He was the obvious choice for my purposes, don't you think? A libertarian-minded politician who genuinely believes in small government is the last person you'd want managing a public health crisis.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Loved the ideas so far.

Reanimating this thread to ask everyone what tools/equipment/gear they would find most useful in a The Walking Dead-style zombie apocalypse. If you had a few hours of advance notice, what would you grab? What about a few days? Weeks? If the apocalypse had already started, what would you be most interested in getting your hands on?

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:Reanimating this thread

I see what you did there.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:Reanimating this thread to ask everyone what tools/equipment/gear they would find most useful in a The Walking Dead-style zombie apocalypse. If you had a few hours of advance notice, what would you grab? What about a few days? Weeks? If the apocalypse had already started, what would you be most interested in getting your hands on?
A reasonably rugged and reliable automobile, plus extra fuel. Defense, shelter, mobility, power generation, and radio reception, all in one.

Also, silly though it might sound, I'd grab my Kindle to help me keep sane. Given time I'd also load it up with literature about how to survive in the absence of modern civilization, and maybe some basic science texts for when it comes time to rebuild.

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Highschools make suprisingly good locations for a settelment.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:Reanimating this thread to ask everyone what tools/equipment/gear they would find most useful in a The Walking Dead-style zombie apocalypse. If you had a few hours of advance notice, what would you grab? What about a few days? Weeks? If the apocalypse had already started, what would you be most interested in getting your hands on?
A reasonably rugged and reliable automobile, plus extra fuel. Defense, shelter, mobility, power generation, and radio reception, all in one.

Also, silly though it might sound, I'd grab my Kindle to help me keep sane. Given time I'd also load it up with literature about how to survive in the absence of modern civilization, and maybe some basic science texts for when it comes time to rebuild.

One thing I think would be particularly helpful would be ruggedized tablets or laptops loaded with high-resolution maps of the entire world. Good GIS data would seriously help in planning escape routes, locating hideouts, finding supplies, and so forth. Knowing the exact distance and terrain for everything could be a huge advantage. At least two, both for redundancy and in case the group needed to temporarily split up.

You could also load them with most of the contents of wikipedia, which would be quite helpful given #903. Need to identify a plant? Having trouble remembering some equation? Wikipedia would be invaluable.

A couple of generators are important. Compact and lightweight enough to be hand-operable in a pinch, but rugged and tough enough that you could rig one up to a waterwheel or even a lawnmower engine if you needed something more consistent. Some sort of water treatment system. Obviously, shortwave radios and walkies and CBs will be useful.

Basic lightweight riot gear, enough to give you a few extra seconds if you get cornered and have to fight hand-to-hand -- armored gauntlets in particular. Sturdy bladed tools and weapons. Chains, padlocks, that sort of thing.

Having a siphon pump to keep your vehicle fueled is a must. You can strip other cars to get a spare battery whenever you're going to be making a trip, though that will be difficult if you're in a more secluded area. You definitely want to have enough tools to do basic car repair and engine work, but again you'll be depending on other cars for spare parts.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

guns. lots of guns.

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 am UTC

A blunt(ish) mace is my weapon of choice:

Shouldn't get stuck, won't run out of bullets or attract more zombies when in use, and should shatter a zombie skull pretty well...
Last edited by tomandlu on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

INVINCIBLE

Postby INVINCIBLE » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 am UTC

A mace is a bad choice, it would be difficult to fight more than one zombie at once.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 am UTC

That's true of any melee weapon you could easily carry around with you. (although a mace is pretty heavy).
Depending on the zombie, a mace may be reasonable; if severe cranial trauma is required to put a zombie down for good (assuming the mace can sufficiently traumatise the cranium).

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:That's true of any melee weapon you could easily carry around with you. (although a mace is pretty heavy).
Depending on the zombie, a mace may be reasonable; if severe cranial trauma is required to put a zombie down for good (assuming the mace can sufficiently traumatise the cranium).

That's my assumption, and I want to avoid anything that might become embedded and trapped. Guns strike me as the biggest no-no.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Not all maces are morning stars.
A smooth mace isn't getting "embedded" in anything.
A mace is almost certainly preferable to something like a sword; the skull is pretty tough and decapitation isn't exactly easy. A heavy axe might work out, but suffers from the "getting stuck in someone" problem.

And appropriate firearms shouldn't have trouble delivering sufficient damage. The drawbacks are the requirements for precise aiming, noise and the need for suitable ammunition. But not all guns are suitable.
But being able to take targets out at range isn't to be dismissed lightly; zombies are only threatening at close quarters.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Don't forget lighters and flashlights*. You will definetly need light and fire, since you can't rely on electricity working whrever you go.

I also vote for the blunt weapons when close-combat is needed. That and running. Lots of running. Just hit the zombies that are directly in your way, ignore the rest, run for a safe place.

*do not confuse with fleshlight, unless extra-alone

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:40 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Not all maces are morning stars.
And appropriate firearms shouldn't have trouble delivering sufficient damage. The drawbacks are the requirements for precise aiming, noise and the need for suitable ammunition. But not all guns are suitable.
But being able to take targets out at range isn't to be dismissed lightly; zombies are only threatening at close quarters.

Noise. I just can't see many scenarios where using a gun is a good idea.

• Long distance - why bother? Like you say, the zombies are only threatening at close quarters - and firing a gun will bring them to you
  • Close quarters - possibly a last resort, but, once again, you risk attracting further zombies, adding to your problems
  • Barricaded/fortified base - for every zombie you shoot, you risk attracting new groups. Better to pick them off silently

Oh, and I'd favour a ridged mace. Not exactly smooth, but with stumpy edges to apply a lot of force without risking it sticking. (I've fixed the image link further up - although those edges may be a little too blade-like for perfection).

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 am UTC

Assuming a situation where noise would/could draw more to you (which means zombies could pinpoint the source; may not be reasonable with echos and such), then it's a "short-term survival vs long-term" survival tradeoff.
"I need to move down this corridor and there are several zombies in the way*:
I risk a close-quarters encounter but may not make much noise (sacrifice short-term for long term), versus I risk almost nothing now, but may increase long term risks (sacrifice long-term for short-term)."
Any answer depends on specifics.

*Any situation where zombies are currently at a distance, but something will happen that puts you and them together: either you need to be where they are or they're heading for you, the specifics don't matter.

Sure, a gun isn't perfect and isn't the most important weapon in your arsenal against zombies. But I think I'd still want one, even if I almost never use it.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

I'd imagine brain bashing with a heavy object to get pretty exhausting pretty quick. A shotgun doesn't tire you so fast.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Do you not lift?

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Zombies

That was possibly the most entertaining post I've read on these forums. Thanks.

tomandlu wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:Not all maces are morning stars.

Noise. I just can't see many scenarios where using a gun is a good idea.

• Long distance - why bother? Like you say, the zombies are only threatening at close quarters - and firing a gun will bring them to you
  • Close quarters - possibly a last resort, but, once again, you risk attracting further zombies, adding to your problems
  • Barricaded/fortified base - for every zombie you shoot, you risk attracting new groups. Better to pick them off silently

Oh, and I'd favour a ridged mace. Not exactly smooth, but with stumpy edges to apply a lot of force without risking it sticking. (I've fixed the image link further up - although those edges may be a little too blade-like for perfection).

Guns are so obviously the right way to deal with zombies that it makes the whole discussion boring. That's why "attracted to loud noises" was suddenly added as a property that "of course zombies have" - simply to make the discussion more interesting.

But realistically (yes, yes, I know) guns and other military hardware are still the best answer. Most zombie stories just handwave away the military, as otherwise there's no story. Zombies vs tank? Zombies vs AC-130 Spectre Ghostrider? Not very interesting stories. There are quiet guns, and there are noisy things other than guns that can be the center of attention after you've used your gun (and then explode), and most importantly given enough guns, you want the zombies to come, because that way you win. There are more bullets than people (that's humans for ya), they just need to be fired.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:Loved the ideas so far.

Reanimating this thread to ask everyone what tools/equipment/gear they would find most useful in a The Walking Dead-style zombie apocalypse. If you had a few hours of advance notice, what would you grab? What about a few days? Weeks? If the apocalypse had already started, what would you be most interested in getting your hands on?

Crossbow, electric bicycle, collapsible solar panels. Stun baton, water filtration system. Hammock and mountaineering bivouac.

A good set of shoes, and set of motorcycle leathers/helmet.

Motorcycle leathers and helmet because if they can't bite you, you don't get infected. Crossbows are more or less silent. A bike lets you go roughly three times the speed of walking; doesn't require fuel other than food, and spare parts are readily available and easily fixed. A stun baton for a melee weapon because 1. you may need to fight other survivors, and 2. even zombies' muscles are effected by electricity - if they can't move, they can't bite you.
Shoes because finding a good set after the apocalypse is going to be difficult (they'll rot fairly quickly if they are leather), and making them from scratch sucks, and they are uncomfortable.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:08 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:Loved the ideas so far.
Shoes because finding a good set after the apocalypse is going to be difficult (they'll rot fairly quickly if they are leather), and making them from scratch sucks, and they are uncomfortable.

In Primo Levi's "Is This a Man", when he leaves Auschwitz, he's advised by another inmate to find shoes first (to replace ill-fitting clogs), then food.

Return to “Fictional Science”