Deep Underground Habitats

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gladiolas

Deep Underground Habitats

Postby gladiolas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

How deep underground could we realistically have habitats? I'm assuming nice places to live, not too dystopian, they'd of course use geothermal energy.

Some ecological catastrophe happened and lots of people might have underground habitats in different parts of the planet. As they dig down they'd have special tunnels with something to propel material out of the caverns onto the surface above. Occasional expeditions to the top would check on conditions to see how safe it is there.

They aren't colonizing space yet because 1. They're waiting for conditions to settle down enough for it to be safe to work on the surface. 2. Occasional expeditions take a while looking for a safe place for a spaceport.
3. They take a while to re-acquire the knowledge and tech. 4. They're okay with living underground for an indefinite period.

I know this has often been done--how many of the stories are dystopias? And how many have the oppressors lying to the oppressed?

I once put together a scenario of a world population of many billions, and I got to wondering how many could be underground and how deep underground could they go? Yes, removing all that material would be a problem, but if the surface is a wasteland anyway...

Maybe they shoot it into space as material for space colonies in orbit? Humanity might be in several groups, one group underground, one on the surface, one underwater, one living in blimps and zeppelins, another group in orbit, another group living on the moon, another in the asteroid belt...

That's not exactly consistent with my initial supposition of an ecological catastrophe, but some of these surviving groups might be rather small. And they could have high tech and still have the catastrophe.

So, could there be, let's say, 1 billion people living comfortably 400 miles down? (*They* feel comfortable, they aren't concerned about your claustrophobic attitude... :P )

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Deep Underground Habitats

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:57 pm UTC

Yes? There are huge advantages and disadvantages of such a set up.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 am UTC

gladiolas wrote:So, could there be, let's say, 1 billion people living comfortably 400 miles down? (*They* feel comfortable, they aren't concerned about your claustrophobic attitude... :P )

Not unless they're magma people. 400 miles is way past the Earth's crust.

But a mile down is reasonable, although food would be an issue.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=103277

speising

Postby speising » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:11 am UTC

at 400 miles you'd have to get rid of several hundred K, and gigapascals of pressure. if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Return to “Fictional Science”