What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

Inspired by NikkThePixel's "What if there was a Zombie Apocalypse?"

If extraterrestrial beings came upon our planet, intentions ambiguous, still parked in space... how should the powers handle it? How should the media handle it? How should the people react? What do we do!
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

morriswalters
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

Depends on where they park doesn't it. But having said that, first out of the gate we should consider that either one of two things has happened. Someone has crossed stellar distances in normal space to come a calling, or they have somehow traveled fasten than light flight. Either of those situations dwarf any capability we own, when you consider that no one has a launch ready vehicle that can do much more than go to geosynchronous orbit currently. Smile a lot and hope they're friendly, is my top option. They could mine rocks on the moon and throw them at us, we would run out of missiles before they ran out of rocks. I'd like to think the powers that be would be open and smart, but I have reservations on that point. People will do pretty much what they always do.

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

I, for one, would welcome our new alien overlords.

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:Depends on where they park doesn't it. But having said that, first out of the gate we should consider that either one of two things has happened. Someone has crossed stellar distances in normal space to come a calling, or they have somehow traveled fasten than light flight. Either of those situations dwarf any capability we own, when you consider that no one has a launch ready vehicle that can do much more than go to geosynchronous orbit currently. Smile a lot and hope they're friendly, is my top option. They could mine rocks on the moon and throw them at us, we would run out of missiles before they ran out of rocks. I'd like to think the powers that be would be open and smart, but I have reservations on that point. People will do pretty much what they always do.

We have some very smart people, but I'd fear a situation like in The Day the Earth Stood Still, where that dumb lady was trying to muscle the situation for exploit, shutting out other nations and scientists.

Their mode of travel may dwarf anything we have, by centuries, but it's possible they don't know violence like we do. It's possible they don't know how to defend themselves because they've never had to. It could be a foreign concept to them, entirely; a road not taken. So, if we did decide to be dicks and shoot first, it's possible we'd kick their asses.

I'm sure our smart people have a constantly evolving protocol for such an encounter, but even those efforts could prove futile as we really can't ever predict what that first contact would be like. Shit, they could come from another dimension, governed by different laws, etcetera. etc.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Flumble » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 pm UTC

Hellaphunt wrote:Their mode of travel may dwarf anything we have, by centuries, but it's possible they don't know violence like we do. It's possible they don't know how to defend themselves because they've never had to.

Hmm, how likely would that be? I think it would require either no scarcity, a single entity or no self-preservation –implying a method of evolution unlike we know.


Does an extraterrestial virus/bacterium count as an invasion? We can't really do any diplomacy with it; the best we can do is hope to quarantine or destroy it. Well, mostly destroy, because if some nation has the stuff quarantined, they might use it for biological warfare.

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Hmm, how likely would that be? I think it would require either no scarcity, a single entity or no self-preservation –implying a method of evolution unlike we know.
I'd say it'd be extremely likely that they don't share our bloodlust, but Hollywood makes money off of conflict, so it's hard to imagine.
Flumble wrote:Does an extraterrestial virus/bacterium count as an invasion? We can't really do any diplomacy with it; the best we can do is hope to quarantine or destroy it. Well, mostly destroy, because if some nation has the stuff quarantined, they might use it for biological warfare.
It'd have to be intentionally introduced, wouldn't it? Unless it rode in on a rock, it'd require something like what the Engineers of Aliens did. If it were ever managed to be controlled, I doubt people would be stupid enough to weaponized such a life threatening virus.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

peregrine_crow
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby peregrine_crow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 am UTC

Hellaphunt wrote:
Flumble wrote:Hmm, how likely would that be? I think it would require either no scarcity, a single entity or no self-preservation –implying a method of evolution unlike we know.
I'd say it'd be extremely likely that they don't share our bloodlust.
Our "bloodlust" provides some pretty obvious evolutionary advantages, though, so if you want a purely pacifist species there will have to be some reason these advantages didn't apply for this species or were counteracted by something else that provides even bigger evolutionary advantages to pacifist individuals over their non-pacificst kin. Both of these options seem extremely unlikely to come about without outside interference.
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2298
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm UTC

The cheat/no cheat ratio (how much advantage-taking and conflict can be tolerated whilst not going full no-progress anarchy, nor everyone being naïvely ever-trusting utopianites) might be an interesting thing to measure in the visitors.

100% honesty implies something is enforcing the altruism (any single defector from it would clean up, as would amy tinpot spiv, here on Earth), 100% WAAARRRGH!!! ought not to result in any grouping at all (never mind one that came over interstellar distances to start WAAARRRGH!!! against ourselves).

Still gives room for Klingon-like behaviour (highly ritualised aggression/one-up(!man)ship, backed by a skewed sense of honour) or something like the Taelons (overly friendly encounters, with a seething background of secrets and pseudo-political manipulations towards darker ends).

Us being humans, there'll be some of us who welcome the visitors too uncritically amd others who would distrust even the most (actually) charitable interaction. If the Visitors don't exhibit a similar spectrum of under/over-reaction to us, then we're up against a strange beast of a civilisation (by anthropocentric standards), such as a fully linked hive-mind. Hopefully the combined maturities of both of our civilisations can smooth over the resulting mutual misunderstandings, before the more capable (probably not ourselves!) goes full nuclear. Figuratively or not.

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 pm UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:Our "bloodlust" provides some pretty obvious evolutionary advantages...
For us, of course. It's foolish to assume this path would be followed by another intelligent lifeform, imo.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

peregrine_crow
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby peregrine_crow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm UTC

Hellaphunt wrote:
peregrine_crow wrote:Our "bloodlust" provides some pretty obvious evolutionary advantages...
For us, of course. It's foolish to assume this path would be followed by another intelligent lifeform, imo.

Uh no, not just for us, for any species that competes over limited resources. If you have a society of a species utterly incapable of violence, any individual who is capable of violence will have a huge advantage in terms of evolutionary fitness (because they can take resources from other individuals by force) so on average more copies of their genes will be present in the next generation.

This is not specific to humans or earth or anything like that, it is a logical extension of the concept of evolutionary fitness and what it means to compete for resources.
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:30 pm UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:
Hellaphunt wrote:
peregrine_crow wrote:Our "bloodlust" provides some pretty obvious evolutionary advantages...
For us, of course. It's foolish to assume this path would be followed by another intelligent lifeform, imo.

Uh no, not just for us, for any species that competes over limited resources...
You're still assuming...
You can't know that another civilization will have similar path to evolution. What if a species evolves on a planet where resources replenish at a rate exponentially higher than ours? Or maybe they did start out like us, but have the ascended, through technological advancements, to be above conflict and violence. Their combat or defense capabilities would wane. There are a lot of potential examples as to how a "visitor" would come, lacking little to no combat experience. These might sound like outliers or extreme cases to you, but I think it's equally likely that we're the outliers to whatever is going on out there. Just saying, you can't say it's more likely they will know violence, but it was also wrong for me to say that they wouldn't.

Edit: I'm not looking to get into an argument, but an enlightening debate is absolutely welcome :D
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:
Hellaphunt wrote:
peregrine_crow wrote:Our "bloodlust" provides some pretty obvious evolutionary advantages...
For us, of course. It's foolish to assume this path would be followed by another intelligent lifeform, imo.

Uh no, not just for us, for any species that competes over limited resources. If you have a society of a species utterly incapable of violence, any individual who is capable of violence will have a huge advantage in terms of evolutionary fitness (because they can take resources from other individuals by force) so on average more copies of their genes will be present in the next generation.

This is not specific to humans or earth or anything like that, it is a logical extension of the concept of evolutionary fitness and what it means to compete for resources.


If a species is adverse to dickishness, and no one wanted to mate with them, then their genes wouldn't get passed on. The thing is, individuals fighting for control is bad for the group, it's just cooperation on a large scale is difficult to achieve in nature. It is probably a lot more likely to arise with a social species that has evolved to punish behavior that is harmful to the group. On a smaller scale, cooperation happens quite often, especially in the insect world and while ant colonies will still fight with other colonies, and it's not hard to see the possibility of the trait that makes them hostile to other colonies getting lost, and then they form one giant colony with multiple queens sharing food. It really only becomes a problem if they run out of food, which depends on their food source.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm UTC

It's possible that a species would know no violence or loose it, if the stars align just right. But that is an inherently unstable situation. As can be seen when we envision these peaceful alien suckers meeting us. The first warlike alien species they meet will obliterate them. Do you think that'd be us? Improbable.

Take a look at game theory. Sometimes the maths just prefer a less perfect, but more robust solution.

morriswalters
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby morriswalters » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

You have no data on the visitors or their motivations. All you have is that they are in some location where we can see them and they aren't us. You may be able to determine a mass for the vessel. Maybe their method of propulsion in normal space, a size, and their orbit I suppose. Certainly almost every sensor in orbit would get pointed at the object.

We could probably get some nukes in the neighborhood assuming they are in an orbit we can reach with something we could throw together quick. How many boosters would be available in a week that could go to say, lunar orbit or one of the Lagrange points? It would be a lot like having a scratch you can't itch.

Anyway, the government would say soothing things, people would either go crazy or wait for something to happen. Social media would probably collapse under the load.

Religions would face some soul searching. Biologists would go nuts. Well to be fair, anyone anyone with a degree in the sciences should go nuts. Just the existence of the ship would change our basic model of what is possible. We would live in a world where we know that travel over stellar distances is possible even if we don't know how.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm UTC

speising wrote:It's possible that a species would know no violence or loose it, if the stars align just right. But that is an inherently unstable situation.


How is it unstable? Cooperation allows the species to avoid the selection pressures that kill it off and segregate them, making species less diverse over time, and leading to a much more stable genetic line.

speising wrote:Take a look at game theory. Sometimes the maths just prefer a less perfect, but more robust solution.


If the players trust each other and are in communication with each other, then things become really simple and plain cooperation becomes the preferred strategy.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2298
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

(Started writing this @Hellaphunt, then had to pause for Real Life reasons, may be ninjaed, but might be dipping off-net again shortly, so here you are. Ignore if already countered...)

Without resource scarcity in the first place, there goes one driver of evolution (being better at getting those resources). There'll be natural variation in all kinds of things, but then you get domination of the fast-replicators and one assumes that eventually that'd turn resource ubiquity into resource scarcity, unless it's a funnier resource-chain than I can imagine.

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:You have no data on the visitors or their motivations. All you have is that they are in some location where we can see them and they aren't us. You may be able to determine a mass for the vessel. Maybe their method of propulsion in normal space, a size, and their orbit I suppose. Certainly almost every sensor in orbit would get pointed at the object.

We could probably get some nukes in the neighborhood assuming they are in an orbit we can reach with something we could throw together quick. How many boosters would be available in a week that could go to say, lunar orbit or one of the Lagrange points? It would be a lot like having a scratch you can't itch.

Anyway, the government would say soothing things, people would either go crazy or wait for something to happen. Social media would probably collapse under the load.

Religions would face some soul searching. Biologists would go nuts. Well to be fair, anyone anyone with a degree in the sciences should go nuts. Just the existence of the ship would change our basic model of what is possible. We would live in a world where we know that travel over stellar distances is possible even if we don't know how.
Nukes as a precautionary measure, sure. I'd image these logistics would be transparent to them, though, being space voyagers and all. It could be a risk, if they took it as a hostile. They could, too, understand these measures to be common sense, if they did know violence.

Their mere presence would, indeed, crumble the foundations of very many things!
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
speising wrote:It's possible that a species would know no violence or loose it, if the stars align just right. But that is an inherently unstable situation.


How is it unstable? Cooperation allows the species to avoid the selection pressures that kill it off and segregate them, making species less diverse over time, and leading to a much more stable genetic line.

Maybe read the rest of my paragraph? It is unstable because one day you *will* meet someone who doesn't want to cooperate with you.
Also, since when is less diversity a good evolutionary strategy?

Thesh wrote:
speising wrote:Take a look at game theory. Sometimes the maths just prefer a less perfect, but more robust solution.


If the players trust each other and are in communication with each other, then things become really simple and plain cooperation becomes the preferred strategy.

That's a big "if".

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

speising wrote:... one day you *will* meet someone who doesn't want to cooperate with you.
That someone could be us.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Flumble » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

Hellaphunt wrote:
speising wrote:... one day you *will* meet someone who doesn't want to cooperate with you.
That someone could be us.

The argument is that such a non-violent species gets destroyed by the first violent species it encounters, whereas a violent species can continue to exist regardless of whether it meets violent or non-violent species. Assuming the existence of both violent and non-violent species, the chances of an alien visitor having no concept of violence is unlikely. (non-violent in this context meaning species that have no concept of violence/self defence)

An alien visitor will need at least some form of protection to travel the universe though, since there are hotspots of gravity, radiation (across all wavelengths) and particles. And assuming the aliens travel by spacecraft (i.e. only not theirselves -this is a thing I can't argue to be likely/unlikely, since we can't even unambiguously state whether a human includes or excludes all the bacteria and dead cells or even a body at all), some protection against the fuel* would be in order, too.


*I'm assuming there's not enough usable energy floating around in our solar system to stop a spacecraft flying at any reasonable (inter)stellar velocity. Our probes use a considerable amount of fuel to get to the right trajectories for slingshots. So using gravity assists, the output of the Sun and the use of asteroids, would a spaceship be able to get to a close Earth orbit?

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2298
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 pm UTC

Anathem..? (Although that's not just extrasolar, so...)

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

speising wrote:Maybe read the rest of my paragraph? It is unstable because one day you *will* meet someone who doesn't want to cooperate with you.


It was irrelevant. Once you talk about space travel, you are no longer talking about natural selection and you can't assume that they will meet hostile species in space. If an alien species is intelligent enough for interstellar travel, then they probably don't need much beyond raw materials, and space is too big for it to be a problem until you get to the point of colonizing the entire galaxy, and at that point either everyone cooperates or you are in perpetual war.

speising wrote:Also, since when is less diversity a good evolutionary strategy?


Evolution doesn't have a strategy and diversity is neither good or bad. It's simply that the more a species migrates between other groups around it, the less the species will diverge, and the more likely it is to survive as a species.

speising wrote:That's a big "if".


Not if you are assuming a species that evolved to be cooperative; then it is more than likely that that's wired into their brains.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
speising wrote:That's a big "if".


Not if you are assuming a species that evolved to be cooperative; then it is more than likely that that's wired into their brains.

No shit. If you assume cooperation, you'll get cooperation.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Thesh wrote:
speising wrote:That's a big "if".


Not if you are assuming a species that evolved to be cooperative; then it is more than likely that that's wired into their brains.

No shit. If you assume cooperation, you'll get cooperation.


Oh, sorry, I responded because I thought you had a point.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

The point is that that is exactly the big if you are denying. You are literally saying "not *if*..."
Do you really fail to see the problem in your argumentation?

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

So it was a random comment completely unrelated to your post? Got it. So that means my argumentation is bad, how?
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

morriswalters
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby morriswalters » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:45 am UTC

Flumble wrote:*I'm assuming there's not enough usable energy floating around in our solar system to stop a spacecraft flying at any reasonable (inter)stellar velocity. Our probes use a considerable amount of fuel to get to the right trajectories for slingshots. So using gravity assists, the output of the Sun and the use of asteroids, would a spaceship be able to get to a close Earth orbit?
One would assume they thought about stopping. So if you see them in the sky then they have, by their existence, shown that they knew how to solve that problem. Irrespective of what you believe to be possible at this moment.

Given the fact that they would have to come deep into the gravity well to take a close look, it might well be that we would see an uncrewed drone capable of high rates of acceleration, used to check out the locals, while a starship loiters in the Oort Clouds using clouds of drones to harvest resources or whatever unknown thing they might do there. The drone could scoot if it got ugly, and killing it would tell them a lot about how much of a threat we might be. It's also sort of a straightforward social intelligence test. Can we control the fear and do rational responses. And it's cheap, which is why we use robotic probes.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25706
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:38 am UTC

Thesh wrote:So it was a random comment completely unrelated to your post? Got it. So that means my argumentation is bad, how?

You essentially said, "It's not a big 'if' if you assume what I want to assume."

That's bad argumentation because it's circular at best, and straight up self-contradictory at worst.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5387
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Thesh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Thesh wrote:So it was a random comment completely unrelated to your post? Got it. So that means my argumentation is bad, how?

You essentially said, "It's not a big 'if' if you assume what I want to assume."

That's bad argumentation because it's circular at best, and straight up self-contradictory at worst.


He was explicitly saying that it was unstable, that even if it did come to exist that it would cease to exist because game theory says that cooperation is too complex - it's simply not the case, and you cannot discuss that point without making that assumption.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 am UTC

Saying "it's simply not the case" doesn't magically make it so.
You are assuming that *all* technological species in the galaxy evolve without a violent bone in their various bodies.
If we could find at least one that's different, your assumption would break down. Hm...

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2298
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:The drone could scoot if it got ugly, and killing it would tell them a lot about how much of a threat we might be. It's also sort of a straightforward social intelligence test. Can we control the fear and do rational responses.

Or it's an underhanded social/intelligence test, and should we work (apparently) irrationally?

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:06 am UTC

Going at this from the other side, imagine we were the interstellar culture and we send such a test drone into an inhabited system.
How should we react if it gets shot down immediately? Should we retreat and leave them to their own devices, or should we go in and sterilize the system as a precautionary measure?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25706
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am UTC

Thesh wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Thesh wrote:So it was a random comment completely unrelated to your post? Got it. So that means my argumentation is bad, how?

You essentially said, "It's not a big 'if' if you assume what I want to assume."

That's bad argumentation because it's circular at best, and straight up self-contradictory at worst.


He was explicitly saying that it was unstable, that even if it did come to exist that it would cease to exist because game theory says that cooperation is too complex - it's simply not the case, and you cannot discuss that point without making that assumption.
His assumption is that it's possible for a spacefaring species to be violent toward outsiders, your assumption is that it's not.

Yours is by far the bigger "if".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

speising wrote:Going at this from the other side, imagine we were the interstellar culture and we send such a test drone into an inhabited system.
How should we react if it gets shot down immediately? Should we retreat and leave them to their own devices, or should we go in and sterilize the system as a precautionary measure?
Those options are on the extreme ends. We could find something in the middle, like maybe sending a covert probe to observe, assuming we'd have that technology.

As spacefaring Earthlings, I would hope that by this time we'd have mastered our impulses, but that would depend entirely on what stage in our advancement we're in and who we are as explorers. If we're pioneers, reaching unprecedented depths, then I think some of our brightest would be crewed. If, instead, this is a point in our age where space travel has become common place, then who the hell knows. The asshole gene is persistent.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25706
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm UTC

The asshole gene is persistent among our "best and brightest", too.

That's what makes Thesh's assumption so extraordinary. The one species we know about with any spaceflight capabilities is full of assholes, but we're supposed to believe there's no chance that will still be the case when we can send things to other stars?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Hellaphunt
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby Hellaphunt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The asshole gene is persistent among our "best and brightest", too.

That's what makes Thesh's assumption so extraordinary. The one species we know about with any spaceflight capabilities is full of assholes, but we're supposed to believe there's no chance that will still be the case when we can send things to other stars?

Well, it's persistent in our genes. Can't speak for completely alien beings born and raised in completely alien environments, across the galaxy (or beyond). I feel like any assumptions that they'd share an evolution where conflict existed because resource scarcity is just about as uncertain as Hollywood's depiction of them being humanoid.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25706
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 pm UTC

Really? You think it's as likely for another planet to have unlimited resources and no competition as it is for that planet to produce intelligence that follows a different body plan than us?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

Hellaphunt wrote:
speising wrote:Going at this from the other side, imagine we were the interstellar culture and we send such a test drone into an inhabited system.
How should we react if it gets shot down immediately? Should we retreat and leave them to their own devices, or should we go in and sterilize the system as a precautionary measure?
Those options are on the extreme ends. We could find something in the middle, like maybe sending a covert probe to observe, assuming we'd have that technology.

As spacefaring Earthlings, I would hope that by this time we'd have mastered our impulses, but that would depend entirely on what stage in our advancement we're in and who we are as explorers. If we're pioneers, reaching unprecedented depths, then I think some of our brightest would be crewed. If, instead, this is a point in our age where space travel has become common place, then who the hell knows. The asshole gene is persistent.

I'm not certain it would be assholeish. That's the point of my question. It may not be possible to live peacefully with another aggressive species nearby. The most peaceful future humans could find themselves forced to take radical precautionary measures to ensure humanity's continued existence.
Can we compare that to historical explorers reaching a new continent? I'm not sure. Even the most remote amazonian rain forest tribe is still part of our species, also, they'll never threaten western civilization with extinction. Meeting someone who doesn't share any of our genes *and* posesses the capacity or potential to destroy us would be a different game, certainly from a selfish evolutionary POV. Of course culture compels us to seek peaceful solutions, but that's only a thin veneer on top of our selfish genes.

gmalivuk wrote:Really? You think it's as likely for another planet to have unlimited resources and no competition as it is for that planet to produce human-shaped intelligence?

Actually, yes. both would be incredibly unlikely. But that's also the opposite of what Hellaphunt said.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25706
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 pm UTC

Yeah, I had that switched around initially.

The assumption Thesh and apparently Hellaphunt are defending is that not just some but almost all other intelligent species in the galaxy might have evolved on planets with no resource limitations.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: What if there was an Alien Invasion?

Postby speising » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:21 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, I had that switched around initially.

The assumption Thesh and apparently Hellaphunt are defending is that not just some but almost all other intelligent species in the galaxy might have evolved on planets with no resource limitations.

I'd argue that the won't develop technology in that case. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.


Return to “Fictional Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests