(Bad) Science in your dreams.

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Idhan

(Bad) Science in your dreams.

Postby Idhan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 am UTC

I'm not sure if this is exactly on topic for the "fictional science" forum, but does anyone else have dreams with science in them that make you want to tell your subconscious "you fail biology/chemistry/physics/whatever forever?"

1. Waste plastics turn into benzene? One dream I had a few months ago was one in which there was a landfill full of discarded plastics, cardboard, etc, that was formerly sealed that ruptured somehow. My subconscious mind apparently noted that plastics are hydrocarbons, that systems tend toward lower free energy/more stability, and that benzene is a stable, low-free energy hydrocarbon. As a result all of the plastic and crap in the landfill had degraded into benzene. The massive benzene spill from the landfill was, of course, a huge disaster. I think the dream-landfill was also near the Indiana Dunes, and it was around the same place as a cooling tower in the real Indiana Dunes.

2. Intravenous ATP as life support? Another dream I had a while ago was one where I was visiting an elderly friend of the family of mine, who has rather advanced dementia. Anyway, in real life she's lost a fair amount of weight and has some trouble eating. When she was compos mentis, she had specified that she didn't want any intubation or anything. Anyway, in the dream, doctors at the nursing home she's in had started giving her intravenous ATP. Apparently, my brain was thinking that for someone in a weakened state (never mind her IRL statements about not wanting it), you could just skip glucose and all of those actual nutrients and give people energy by putting ATP in their blood. I don't recall any dream-explanation for how the ATP got from the blood into the cells.

3. Solid, room-temperature carbon dioxide with tetrahedral carbon? One I just had last night: my brother was looking for a sort of case for his smart phone (I don't recall what kind of phone he has IRL). He didn't want one made of silicone for some reason (I don't remember why), which was the only alternative that got discussed in the dream. He got one made out of carbon dioxide instead -- somehow CO2 that was bonded like SiO2, with the carbons bonded tetrahedrally to four oxygens which each bonded to another carbon. This was supposed to be stable stuff at room temperature and whatnot.

Any of you have dreams with crappy science in them?

Or, maybe, do any of you have dreams with really insightful science?

zmatt

Re: (Bad) Science in your dreams.

Postby zmatt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Most of mine revolve around physics fails. And as soon as I realize it, I break the dream and it becomes lucid. Which is pretty cool I guess.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:46 am UTC

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is relativity. Everyone else moves super fast, and I move really slow. But could be correct if I'm moving close to the speed of light in my dreams... ;)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Erl Kaarik

Postby Erl Kaarik » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

I've sometimes broken my semi-lucid dreams by understanding a science fail.

Like when i walked around on ice of my home town river, and then walked under a bridge to pick up something extra nice, I fell through the ice and started drowning. And then suddenly I realised that "There are no icicles under(flowing)water" and *poof*, I woke up.
We need some bread, but it's really hot outside and I can't be bothered to walk 'round the corner...

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

I usually realise it's a dream when I can breath the water. Yep, there is not a single super power I do not have in my dreams. :lol:

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Two I can remember. One of them was not even bad physics (incidentally, I remember very few dreams, mostly freaky 'OH GOD MAYBE THERE ARE PROPHETIC DREAMS AFTER ALL' nightmares, which I have had four of in my life)

the first was one of these nightmares. A person (dream version of someone I knew and disliked for good reasons) seized me and tossed me in the air. Gravity failed to work. I kept flying up, well past the point where falling back to earth would be lethal, but I kept going up. I woke up a bit after the point where I could see the whole town, was about to fall back down any moment, but had not yet.

The second was more pleasant though it too ended badly. I had made (in a garage workshop) a room tempurature superconductor. It was made of the most oddball stuff you can imagine, forget what I dreamed of, seem to remember yttrium, bacon fat, and various metallic elements scrounged from common materials like metal polish. I remember it was as weird as hell, started out kind of normal, then got wierd and then really wierd like the cake recipie in Portal. The problem was that: 1. It actually superconducted not at room tempurature, but at a lower tempurature, like maybe 15 degrees C. (my shop is cold in the winter). It also was diamagnetic when not superconducting (but I did not know this) so the magnet floating effect was not an indicator. Anyway, I bothered people to evaluate it and was embarrassed when it did not work in heated rooms. I woke up right after finding that it had a Tc a bit below room tempurature.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 am UTC

And most of us just dream about forgetting the trousers.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:39 am UTC

I absolutely cannot use computers in my dream. I'm really surprised my dreams don't become lucid upon the realization of this.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SmoothBlade

Postby SmoothBlade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

My subconscious hates me for some reason, most of my dreams are extremely realistic, only sometimes it makes a science mistake and I realize its a dream. One memorable one was when my subconscious was attempting to play out the worst possible school day for me, being stuck in my chemistry class with the teacher I despised the most. But after a short time, I realized the chemistry had become biology and i knew it was a dream.

Now that I look back on it, I should have realized it was a dream when my teacher locked the door and windows after an announcement was made that a tornado was headed towards the school. w/e.

Another dream was of a tree collapsing onto my house. The main problem here is that my subconscious appears to favor hollywood explosions, and for no reason the house blew up like it was packed tight with gasoline and c4.
Otherwise known as Cheesy or Machete

A conservative furry! What a rarity!

MHD

Postby MHD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

Some of my dreams have more *ahem* questionable physiology of erotic character...
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Afif_D

Postby Afif_D » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Well last night i had a dream about my mathematics class. It was rather stupid.
My math sir gave a question," If 20 refrigerators are switched on what is the probabitity that the ozone hole will suffer damage.?" :D

I tried every1 in my dream to explain it false but nobody believed me..:D:D

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

One of the last nights I dreamed that a team of scientists from CERN and Gran Sasso measured neutrinos going faster than light :roll: how stupid, right?

:lol:
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

iChef

Postby iChef » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

You guys all do fun Science in your dreams. Last night I was walking in the woods in South America for some reason. There were all these mushrooms all over (that shouldn't have been growing in that part of the world at all. So what do I do? Start making spore prints and cataloging the different mushrooms. I pretty sure that is the first time i had a dream about mycology.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

I don't know if it counts, but the only thing I remember from my dreams last night was the line, "But I'm a respected medical professional, and you're a sandwich."

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 am UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:I don't know if it counts, but the only thing I remember from my dreams last night was the line, "But I'm a respected medical professional, and you're a sandwich."

Bad science or not, that's a fantastic one-liner.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr Sandvich, I expect you to be delicious.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

I am now waiting for a chance to use this line in conversation. It'll probably be a long wait, since I have no plans to becoming a medical professional, let alone a respected one, and I do not often talk with sandwiches.

Return to “Fictional Science”