What-If 0042: "Longest Sunset"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

What-If 0042: "Longest Sunset"

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 am UTC

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
"The sun changes its mind and goes back to bed" - haha
"(Not to be confused with the Terminator, which moves across the land in this pattern:)"
I thought that first too.

Quite a fun one this week. Too bad you're too busy driving to appreciate the sunset.

larsgj

Re: What-If 0042: "Longest Sunset"

Postby larsgj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 am UTC

I've had the discussion so often with people exclaiming that the sunset is when the sun goes out of sight. "But then I can make a sunset with my hand" is usually my argument.

The last part hit me a little in the feelies :)

Good one this week!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Randall wrote:It’s shortest in spring and fall (when the Sun is over the equator) and longest at the solstice and equinox.

Wait, what?? How's that again?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am UTC

Funny and interesting. One of the best what-ifs in recent memory. I'm not even missing the total destruction of the planet.

backstab

Postby backstab » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am UTC

If you stand still at the South Pole in early March, the Sun stays in the sky all day, making a full circle just above the horizon. Sometime around March 21st, it touches the horizon for the only sunset of the year. This sunset takes 38-40 hours, which means it makes more than a full circuit around the horizon while setting.

Shouldn't all locations inside the polar circle have at least one 24 hour+ sunset?

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Quite a fun one this week. Too bad you're too busy driving to appreciate the sunset.

Well, you can treat your girlfriend to a nice long sunset while you drive ;-) Additionally, you can do something like "honey, how about you blow me for just the duration of the sunset". I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind getting fooled after all, being treeted to the vacation in northern Norway and all... unless you actually are from Svalbard, where girls have probably noticed that sunsets are in fact quite long.
Actually, why am I writing this instead of making plans for a nordic holiday!

And I'm not missing the destruction of celestial bodies here, too - this gives it the benefit of actually being practical. Hell, it might even spawn a geohashing-like practitioner community. True, swerves away from the hypothetical question concept but I think we can all tolerate the occasional practical question
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:Quite a fun one this week. Too bad you're too busy driving to appreciate the sunset.

Well, you can treat your girlfriend to a nice long sunset while you drive ;-) Additionally, you can do something like "honey, how about you blow me for just the duration of the sunset". I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind getting fooled after all, being treeted to the vacation in northern Norway and all...

...but then she will be too busy to enjoy the sunset as well...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Randall wrote:It’s shortest in spring and fall (when the Sun is over the equator) and longest at the solstice and equinox.

Yay! Fixed it. :)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am UTC

in places like the London

LOL
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Some years ago, on a train-journey north in early Summer, I watched the sun set slowly early in the journey - and then towards the end of the journey, watched it set slowly again a couple of hours later...

taemyr

Postby taemyr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

I think he meant longest at summer solstice and winter solstice.
Ie. longest at the soltices and shortest at the equinoxes.

Edit: In fact the article currently says:
Randall wrote:It’s shortest in spring and fall (when the Sun is over the equator) and longest in the summer and winter.

Edit: which you had already noticed. :oops:

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, I drove through Longyearbyen on Google Streetview, and if you follow the main road up the hill, you get to see the entire town of Longyearbyen turned out for the Google Van. The rest of the town is like a ghost city, and then all of a sudden, Norwegians, Norwegians, everywhere.

Either that, or Longyearbyenians just have nothing else to do but turn out en-masse to the local hillside and mill about with Norwegian flags. Or perhaps there is safety in numbers from the polar bears.

Not sure if this will link right or not but I'm going to try: here.

Liouville

Postby Liouville » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote:Out of curiosity, I drove through Longyearbyen on Google Streetview, and if you follow the main road up the hill, you get to see the entire town of Longyearbyen turned out for the Google Van. The rest of the town is like a ghost city, and then all of a sudden, Norwegians, Norwegians, everywhere.

Either that, or Longyearbyenians just have nothing else to do but turn out en-masse to the local hillside and mill about with Norwegian flags. Or perhaps there is safety in numbers from the polar bears.

It seems that the picture was taken on our national day, May 17th. We celebrate the day with flags and parades.
Search for "tog 17.mai" in google image search to get more pictures. (I can't post a link since this is my first post.)

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote:Not sure if this will link right or not but I'm going to try: here.

Yeah, it works. Thanks!

I'm a little freaked out by the animation when moving - it seems as if the streetview car ran over quite a few people.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

So the requirement is to obey the speed limit? In Germany there are several roads without a speed limit. It seems to me that you can thus, legally, make a sunset in Germany last as long it takes the song to cross Germany, which is an hour or so. Are there any other, bigger, countries in the world without a speed limit? Of course you'd need a fast car.

Those pictures of Svalbard are awesome! I love google for actually shipping a streetview car all the way over there. It's interesting to see the entire town nation showing up like that. Probably it was some kind of holiday?

I really want to visit Svalbard one day.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Did...? Did Randall draw some trousers with yellow strips to explain the day-night line? If he did, he also pointed the center of the trousers as the "terminator"... these what-ifs are getting weirder and weirder. :shock:

@maniexx

Postby @maniexx » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Today's Wulffmorgenthaler is kind of related :)
http://wumo.com/strip/2013/04/23/
‮2‮0‮0‮1‮/‮m‮o‮c‮.‮d‮c‮k‮x

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote:Out of curiosity, I drove through Longyearbyen on Google Streetview, and if you follow the main road up the hill, you get to see the entire town of Longyearbyen turned out for the Google Van. The rest of the town is like a ghost city, and then all of a sudden, Norwegians, Norwegians, everywhere.

This was kinda weird for me :shock: I drove a few meters, looked around a few times, and a dude extremely similar to me is there, in staring at the camera.

Anna-X

Postby Anna-X » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Wild guess: Longyearbyen got Streetview'ed on May 17th, which is the National/Constitution Day. (The date stamp is 'May 2011'). The place you link to is right by the Governor's office.

And while I'm at it...

Randall wrote:If you putter around downtown Longyearbyen (get a picture with the “polar bear crossing” sign)...

The signs are not in downtown Longyearbyen; they're just outside the town limit. (One to the east, one to the west).

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Am I still allowed to say "Randall Get out of my head!!" When he answers my question? :lol: He knew exactly what I meant, made my day.

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Randall wrote:If you putter around downtown Longyearbyen (get a picture with the “polar bear crossing” sign)...

Does it seem to anyone else that the bit in parentheses was supposed to be replaced by an actual picture?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Anna-X

Postby Anna-X » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Does it seem to anyone else that the bit in parentheses was supposed to be replaced by an actual picture?

menace101

Postby menace101 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Anna-X wrote:

Wild guess: Longyearbyen got Streetview'ed on May 17th, which is the National/Constitution Day. (The date stamp is 'May 2011'). The place you link to is right by the Governor's office.

And while I'm at it...

The signs are not in downtown Longyearbyen; they're just outside the town limit. (One to the east, one to the west).

I think you're right. According to the following link..http://googlesightseeing.com/2012/12/svalbard/

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Anna-X wrote:
Spoiler:
descor wrote:

Yes, this!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

What if we pave a road on Asteroid B-612?

It'd have to be an awefully small car though.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 am UTC

I live in Iceland, and I can say that the focus on the precise length of sunrise / sunset is often overdone, and that Randalls' comments on obstructions are important. The further north you go, the less the sun goes "over" you and the more it goes "around" you. It takes an increasingly shallow angle, which has several effects. One is, as he described, very long sunrises, sunsets. Also, the surrounding terrain has a big influence. It's not unusual here to be in a place where the sun may rise and set multiple times as it passes behind mountains and out the other side. And because the sun is moving at such a shallow angle, it takes longer for things to actually get dark after sunset, and light comes back long before sunrise (twilight). Our mid-winder "daylight" is a small fraction of that of most places in the US (especially when you factor in how easy it is for obstacles or clouds to block the sun, at the solstice it doesn't even reach 3 degrees over the horizon in Reykjavík, less further north), but we actually get a reasonable fraction of daylight + twilight as in most US cities.

jacobraccuia

Postby jacobraccuia » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 am UTC

loved todays :)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:I live in Iceland, and I can say that the focus on the precise length of sunrise / sunset is often overdone, and that Randalls' comments on obstructions are important. The further north you go, the less the sun goes "over" you and the more it goes "around" you. It takes an increasingly shallow angle, which has several effects. One is, as he described, very long sunrises, sunsets. Also, the surrounding terrain has a big influence. It's not unusual here to be in a place where the sun may rise and set multiple times as it passes behind mountains and out the other side. And because the sun is moving at such a shallow angle, it takes longer for things to actually get dark after sunset, and light comes back long before sunrise (twilight). Our mid-winder "daylight" is a small fraction of that of most places in the US (especially when you factor in how easy it is for obstacles or clouds to block the sun, at the solstice it doesn't even reach 3 degrees over the horizon in Reykjavík, less further north), but we actually get a reasonable fraction of daylight + twilight as in most US cities.

Amazing.
Our Planet is well suited to our sense of Wonder.
Spoiler:
I discovered a few things about the sunset one year.
My Assignment was to watch the sunset everyday, if possible.

(One Year. A thing like that becomes a Habit after a year.)
One day; It was the day Half Way between Solstice and Equinox.

I Knew the Time of Sunset. I was Hanging Out with a Friend.
We went to the Beach. There were a few other People with us.

The sun was at an Oblique Angle. It was Normal, I suppose.
It was Beautiful. It was not my usual Beach.

She Started It. She started saying, "Don't let it End!"
We started Jumping Up and Down. It Worked!

We could still see the sun when we jumped. She ran up a 25-30 foot high Berm.
I followed her. We jumped Up and Down and Cheered the Sun.

Finally someone said, "Let's let the sun go down, I'm tired."

I know we did not keep The Sun Up.
Still; It was fun.

At 45 degrees, half way between the pole and the equator,
That Oblique Angle Day is nearly as special as the Solstice and Equinox.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am UTC

backstab wrote:
If you stand still at the South Pole in early March, the Sun stays in the sky all day, making a full circle just above the horizon. Sometime around March 21st, it touches the horizon for the only sunset of the year. This sunset takes 38-40 hours, which means it makes more than a full circuit around the horizon while setting.

Shouldn't all locations inside the polar circle have at least one 24 hour+ sunset?
No. In the winter, for example, they go from having the sun barely pop fully above the horizon (between sunrises and sunsets that last an hour or more) once a day, but then set fully each night, to having the sun not quite clear the horizon after it begins to rise (which Randall doesn't count), to having the sun not show any part of itself above the horizon.

I suspect that if you're within half a degree or so of one of the poles, you'll get something akin to what he describes for the South Pole itself, since the Sun is half a degree across as seen from Earth, but farther away than that you shouldn't have any sunrises or sunsets that last more than 12 hours.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Those pictures of Svalbard are awesome! I love google for actually shipping a streetview car all the way over there.

They actually have google streetview bikes for remote regions and off the road - http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wiltshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8399000/8399655.stm
It could well have been a car in Svalbard though, not such a big deal to ship it there - Google can probably ship a car to an asteroid if they wish (it looks easier than shipping Curiosity to Mars).

Diadem wrote:So the requirement is to obey the speed limit? In Germany there are several roads without a speed limit. It seems to me that you can thus, legally, make a sunset in Germany last as long it takes the song to cross Germany, which is an hour or so.

What is "the song" - some kind of record-breaking car? If that's the case I'm pretty sure it's not road legal - pretty much nothing that can go faster than 400 km/h is. Further, you'd need to have the roads cleared for you in order to achieve that.
Keeping things realistic, however, you can significantly prolong the sunset by driving with 350 km/h along the path recommended by Randal in northern Germany. Anyone care to run the numbers?
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that was meant to be "the sun". Like, Germany is about 7.5°, one hour's rotation, across in longitude.

But yeah, street legal cars that do 1000 km/h (the speed of rotation at Germany's latitude) are also not a thing, so it's not a real loophole.

Isn't Germany too far south for the pattern from the article to work? It's 12° below the arctic circle at its tippimost.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

yeah that was supposed to be 'the sun'. Not sure what happened with that word.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:So the requirement is to obey the speed limit? In Germany there are several roads without a speed limit. It seems to me that you can thus, legally, make a sunset in Germany last as long it takes the song to cross Germany, which is an hour or so. Are there any other, bigger, countries in the world without a speed limit? Of course you'd need a fast car.

That's pretty much what I thought - although, with Russia. I'm sure there'd be somewhere in the USSR that's remote enough so they haven't even bothered deciding on speed laws, AND it's bigger, so you could make the sunset last longer (with a fast enough car) AND it's closer to the North Pole (probably...).

Also, with the 'definition of a sunset' - I am guessing the standard definition of 'sunset' is the time between when the bottom of the sun touches the horizon, and when the sun is fully below the horizon? But, in colloquial terms, I define sunset as a much longer period -from when the sky starts turning orange. Taking this to a logical extreme, could one argue that a "sun-set" might mean the total time between noon and dusk? (i.e. from when the sun finishes rising and starts to 'set'!)

By the way, am I right in thinking that sunsets in colder, more northerly climates are often less vivid than those in warmer climates? I've noticed that here in UK, the sky on a clear winter's day still looks blue, but far paler blue than in summer, and the sea is a darker navy in winter and turquoise in summer. I'm guessing it's to do with the extent to which the sun heats the atmosphere - and so, I'm guessing that the vivid colours in sunsets are produced by a sudden cooling of the air. So, surely then a colder day produces much less vivid colours? I can't remember watching many cold sunsets, though - I only remember glorious Summer/Autumn ones, and possibly a couple in Spring.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Patrik3 wrote:
Diadem wrote:So the requirement is to obey the speed limit? In Germany there are several roads without a speed limit. It seems to me that you can thus, legally, make a sunset in Germany last as long it takes the song to cross Germany, which is an hour or so. Are there any other, bigger, countries in the world without a speed limit? Of course you'd need a fast car.

That's pretty much what I thought - although, with Russia. I'm sure there'd be somewhere in the USSR that's remote enough so they haven't even bothered deciding on speed laws, AND it's bigger, so you could make the sunset last longer (with a fast enough car) AND it's closer to the North Pole (probably...).

Also, with the 'definition of a sunset' - I am guessing the standard definition of 'sunset' is the time between when the bottom of the sun touches the horizon, and when the sun is fully below the horizon? But, in colloquial terms, I define sunset as a much longer period -from when the sky starts turning orange. Taking this to a logical extreme, could one argue that a "sun-set" might mean the total time between noon and dusk? (i.e. from when the sun finishes rising and starts to 'set'!)

But that's a rather extensive view of sunset, and also adds a lot of imprecision. I rarely go around at 2:30 in the afternoon, saying, "What a glorious sunset!" or even "Now that the sun is setting." And also, as with the sun going behind hills or other obstacles--you could easily get so many variables that sunset could last about any length of time you wanted.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Patrik3 wrote:Also, with the 'definition of a sunset' - I am guessing the standard definition of 'sunset' is the time between when the bottom of the sun touches the horizon, and when the sun is fully below the horizon? But, in colloquial terms, I define sunset as a much longer period -from when the sky starts turning orange. Taking this to a logical extreme, could one argue that a "sun-set" might mean the total time between noon and dusk? (i.e. from when the sun finishes rising and starts to 'set'!)

According to the definitions I have found, sunset is a single time. From Wikipiedia: "The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun's disk disappears below the horizon." (I think you can still see the sun at this point. The astronomers don't pay attention to atmospheric lensing for that definition.) I agree that the colloquial use is often more like your definition. It's good Randall defined his terms for the purpose of the problem.
The various versions of Twilight are also interesting.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Patrik3 wrote:

But that's a rather extensive view of sunset, and also adds a lot of imprecision. I rarely go around at 2:30 in the afternoon, saying, "What a glorious sunset!" or even "Now that the sun is setting." And also, as with the sun going behind hills or other obstacles--you could easily get so many variables that sunset could last about any length of time you wanted.

Yep. That is an expansive view of The Sunset.

When is the Sun Over the Yard Arm?
(that's funny for Old People. And; Drunks.)
Spoiler:
Does the Sun Set on The British Empire?
When?

The Sun is Setting for Someone, Somewhere, now. Right?

There is a word for it. A shadow that moves across the earth.
The guys In Space took a photo of it.

Some Place in Russia so remote? How remote?
Do they have Shoes?
Do they know about the Internet?
How remote?

Spoiler:
It is The Same Sun for them as it is for Me.
I have heard Sun stories From The North.
They are among my favorite stories.

They say the Sun has Dogs.
I listened to The Men Talk.

Then I started asking Other People questions.
Sun Dogs are Reflections in Frozen Fog.

It only happens when the air is very, very cold.
Sublimation freezes. Right?

Some People say, "The Sun does not have Dogs."
Some People say, "The Sun can have Two Dogs, no more."
Some People say, "There may be a limit. Two is not the right answer."

Sun Dogs are only an idea for me.
I don't want to do what a person must do to see a Sun Dog.

I bet the internet knows about Sun Dogs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+dog ... 80&bih=593

Spoiler:
None of those photos do justice to what That Man told me.

He said, They were out walking.
They came out onto a flat area.

The Sun was low.
The Sun was always low that time of year.

He said, "There were Five suns in the sky."
Each one of them perfectly round and all, nearly, equal in brightness.

That Man had many 'peak experiences'. Sun Dogs were, just, one.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:02 am UTC

It's interesting that, from a modern perspective (or at least from my personal perspective), sun dogs are so obviously some kind of reflection/lensing phenomenon. But what must it have looked like to someone seeing one before glass was invented?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:38 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's interesting that, from a modern perspective (or at least from my personal perspective), sun dogs are so obviously some kind of reflection/lensing phenomenon. But what must it have looked like to someone seeing one before glass was invented?

They say it is a Spiritual Experience.

The ones that have seen it, form a club of sorts.
Each one has had a very Strange Experience.

The Children up there see them as a matter of course.
The Five Sun Dogs were Highly unusual.

Still; It is as mundane to The Locals as what ever Wonder is outside your front door is to you.

Before Glass? What did The People think?
Many people today, do not know what Sun Dogs are;
And! They don't care!

Spoiler:
You and me. It looks like it is You and me.
I don't care that much. I did until someone explained it.

Now, I know they are like Rainbows.
No more. No less.

Yet; Sun Dogs are very amazing, because in an inhospitable world,
This Wonder Appears.

A Rainbow over a Hawaiian Jungle is nice.
A set of Sun Dogs hanging in Frozen air is (?).

I have no idea. What The Men say is that it makes them Think.
Or; Not, Think. They said they stood there a long time.

The cold started to hurt them. They had to start moving, again.

Each one had a personal story about what was going on Between His Ears.
By the time I talked to them, each one had several Theories.

No matter what else the Men said. They all said it was Beautiful.

Some were frightened of Their first Sun Dogs.
Some had started Hunting Sun Dogs.
One guy was Sun Dog lucky.

The other guys would take him to increase the odds of seeing Sun Dogs.
They laughed. They say it Works.

If you want to see a Sun Dog, hang out with a guy that sees a lot of them?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 am UTC

But that's the thing: I think that even if modern people don't know *exactly* what sun dogs are, most of them have seen enough camera artifacts to recognize it as some kind of optical effect, rather than as something supernatural.
---

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But that's the thing: I think that even if modern people don't know *exactly* what sun dogs are, most of them have seen enough camera artifacts to recognize it as some kind of optical effect, rather than as something supernatural.

It might be both.
Maybe.

How do you define Supernatural?
Nature going Above and Beyond the Natural?

Sun Dogs are that. I keep them over in the corner of my mind with Tao.

Spoiler:
I am willing to talk about water vapor and how solid water is different from liquid water.
When I found out about Sublimation it was the Only thing I wanted to talk about.

Ice evaporating? You may have come from a Culture that had Sublimation as Common Knowledge. I didn't.

There comes a point where there is, just, nothing to say.

That does not last long for Humans. I should Know.
We start talking about Not Talking. We are funny.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “What If?”