What-If 0078: "T-Rex Calories"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: What-If # 0078 T-Rex Calories

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

How's this for a solution: just add a little tiny "k" after the number of Calories listed on US food labels. Or imagine it's there for existing labels.

Voila, average Americans who don't know the difference can keep reading it like they always have (ignoring the k), and the pedants and Europeans who are used to kilocalories can take note of the "k" and read the values as three orders of magnitude larger to get the same understanding, and everything's dandy.

At least until some set of semi-literate people start thinking that food energy is now being measured in kilobytes or kilometers or some other kilo-unit informally abbreviated to just "k" without the base unit adjacent.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Sunrider

Postby Sunrider » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 am UTC

I did some reading. In Europe, people often call kcals calories because they don't know *hit about scientific units. But in the USA, there are two different legal units called calorie.

No offense, but this is one of the 5 most stupid things I ever heard about.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

Sunrider wrote:No offense, but this is one of the 5 most stupid things I ever heard about.

Why do people say "no offense" precisely when they do offend?
Are you scared of being picked at because you acknowledge that units of measurement in the (non-academical) US are still centuries behind the rest of the world? :twisted:

gmalivuk wrote:Due to the confusion this apparently causes for our European readers, I move that US food labels be changed to the unambiguous BTU.

There's only one disadvantage to that: BTU is composed of imperial units, so it would make sense to use it. We can't have that.
I advise the use of horsepower-second instead.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Sunrider wrote:No offense, but this is one of the 5 most stupid things I ever heard about.

Why do people say "no offense" precisely when they do offend?
Are you scared of being picked at because you acknowledge that units of measurement in the (non-academical) US are still centuries behind the rest of the world? :twisted:

I think the "no offense" is short for "offending someone isn't my primary concern here, I just find it funny" here.

Sunrider

Postby Sunrider » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Are you scared of being picked at because you acknowledge that units of measurement in the (non-academical) US are still centuries behind the rest of the world? :twisted:

Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down? We do, we do!

The Simpsons: All you need to explain the world.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I advise the use of horsepower-second instead.
Which makes exactly as much or little sense as the (kilo)watt-hour.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Fysik Breddning

Postby Fysik Breddning » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Flumble wrote:I advise the use of horsepower-second instead.
Which makes exactly as much or little sense as the (kilo)watt-hour.

I once heard that the "kilowatt-hour per hour" was used in a certain power plant (and not in the short form "kilowatt").

However, I don't quite remember the circumstances and it might just have been a joke.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

I could just about believe a manager asked for a report about the plant's bill-ables (kW*h) over a period much longer than an hour, with he x-axis scaled in units of a thousand to make the numbers smaller. The end result being some poor engineer having to label an axis "thousands of kilowatt hours per week".
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

lgw

Postby lgw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

Bah, use the standard unit - the Firkin-Fahrenheit. All proper standard units start with an "F", of course (but not the converse: the fuckton remains non-standard; stuffy overly-proper standards committee!).
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

ghlargh

Postby ghlargh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

I just did a google search for "15 dinosaurs live here" and got zero hits, i'm disappointed in you.

I had expected at least three restaurants to have their signs altered by now :P

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm UTC

ghlargh wrote:I just did a google search for "15 dinosaurs live here" and got zero hits, i'm disappointed in you.

I had expected at least three restaurants to have their signs altered by now :P

Congrats! There's one hit now.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Congrats! There's one hit now.

Now there's two. I didn't quote the whole thing, so still just two.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

lgw wrote:Bah, use the standard unit - the Firkin-Fahrenheit. All proper standard units start with an "F", of course (but not the converse: the fuckton remains non-standard; stuffy overly-proper standards committee!).
Is that a metric fuckton?

Related: If we do decide to start offering deep-fried T Rex burgers, there is only one product to use.
Spoiler:
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

gcgcgcgc

Postby gcgcgcgc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 pm UTC

An 80kg human actually contains about 1.718 x 10^15 kcal of energy. But luckily, however unlikely it is you'll be eaten by a T.Rex, being thrown by one into a black hole is considerably less likely again, I assume.

Maxsimal

Postby Maxsimal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am UTC

According to the shirt, the 'average' human listed there is

80kg, w 20/kg of bodyfat. 25% bodyfat - I guess this is an average western civilization person?

Disregarding that, they also have 1.2kg of carbs and 13.6kg of protein. These macronutrient amounts seem reasonable.

However
20 x 9000kcal/kgfat + 13.6 x 4000kcal/kg protein + 1.2kg x 4000kcal/kg = 239200kcal.

So the shirts total is clearly wrong, and a T-rex could survive on a human for almost a week!

Return to “What If?”