What-If 0090: "Great Tree, Great Axe"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mathmannix

Re: What-If 0090: "Great Tree, Great Axe"

Postby mathmannix » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

speising wrote:randall uses "hilighted", though.

d'oh, I missed that. I interpreted CharlieP as saying "highlighted" was "just plain wrong." Hilighted (hard to type it that way!) was almost certainly a typo... usually he fixes those in the first 24 hours.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

As a southern Californian, "ax" is a verb, not a noun, and concrete is not a reasonable construction material unless you enjoy having it fall on you every time a little earthquake happens.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:I'm just slightly confused as to why Randall has used the British spelling of "axe", the American spelling of "kilometre" and the just plain wrong spelling of "highlighted"...
While "axe" is used at a higher rate in the UK, and while "ax" is far more common in the US than in the UK, "axe" nonetheless occurs about twice as often as "ax" in online American English. And "kilometer" outnumbers "kilometre" in online British English by more than 3 to 1.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 am UTC

speising wrote:randall uses "hilighted", though.

Yes, he's done it before, but changed it after people complained.

SuperSteve

Postby SuperSteve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:25 am UTC

speising wrote:
xorsyst wrote:I think fire axes are much more of a US thing - I don't recall ever seeing one in the UK, although they may exist. So while I suspect 5:1 to 50:1 is true in the US, I reckon much higher in some other parts of the world.

For example, I'm in a city right now of, say, 100,000 people, and the only axes _I_ know of are in the hardware store. And then there's probably only a couple or so.

i have trouble imagining the use of an axe in a burning building of reasonable construction material (ie, concrete, steel fire doors) anyway.

Fire doors are only needed for inside doors, to keep fire from spreading from one part of a building to another. They are not needed for the doors to outside.

Single family homes usually have wooden doors. Fire departments use axes to break down locked doors to houses.

In office buildings without operable windows, occupants can use axes to break windows so they can escape. However, if they jump from too great a height, they can die anyway.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 pm UTC

This picture...

... gives me horrible flashbacks.

rick.s

Postby rick.s » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:42 am UTC

SuperSteve wrote:
speising wrote:
xorsyst wrote:I think fire axes are much more of a US thing - I don't recall ever seeing one in the UK, although they may exist. So while I suspect 5:1 to 50:1 is true in the US, I reckon much higher in some other parts of the world.

For example, I'm in a city right now of, say, 100,000 people, and the only axes _I_ know of are in the hardware store. And then there's probably only a couple or so.

i have trouble imagining the use of an axe in a burning building of reasonable construction material (ie, concrete, steel fire doors) anyway.

Fire doors are only needed for inside doors, to keep fire from spreading from one part of a building to another. They are not needed for the doors to outside.

Single family homes usually have wooden doors. Fire departments use axes to break down locked doors to houses.

In office buildings without operable windows, occupants can use axes to break windows so they can escape. However, if they jump from too great a height, they can die anyway.

Additionally, fire doors are only needed for fire walls. Their added expense means that a building will only have them where needed. Not every wall in a building is designed to keep a fire out for several hours. The axe has other uses as well.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:15 am UTC

rick.s wrote:The axe has other uses as well.

Just like crossbows?

hordriss

Postby hordriss » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:38 am UTC

This will make an amazing minecraft mod.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 am UTC

dalcde wrote:
rick.s wrote:The axe has other uses as well.

Just like crossbows?

I don't believe chopping down a tree with a crossbow is effective.

peregrine_crow

Postby peregrine_crow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 am UTC

Flumble wrote:I don't believe chopping down a tree with a crossbow is effective.

That would be an interesting what if on it's own. It is obviously impractical to chop down a tree with crossbow bolts, but is it possible or would you end up reinforcing the tree more than damaging it after a certain point?
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

robbak

Postby robbak » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 am UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:That would be an interesting what if on it's own. It is obviously impractical to chop down a tree with crossbow bolts, but is it possible or would you end up reinforcing the tree more than damaging it after a certain point?

Normal bolts wouldn't break many fibres, just pushing them apart. If you used a broadhead bolt it would cut, but only a few inches.

And while you wouldn't be strengthening the tree, you would be providing it with some really sharp armour. And eventually, some impressive buttressing.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

Clearly we need more power! (Or bigger bolts!)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

rick.s

Postby rick.s » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:
Flumble wrote:I don't believe chopping down a tree with a crossbow is effective.

That would be an interesting what if on it's own. It is obviously impractical to chop down a tree with crossbow bolts, but is it possible or would you end up reinforcing the tree more than damaging it after a certain point?

Your tactic would matter as well. Firing continuously at the centre would create an interesting question but would likely be counterproductive and the bolts stuck in the tree would start interfering with later projectiles. If you shot at the edge and let the bolts slowly rip out layers it might actually work. The question I have is would it be cheaper in the end just to buy a logging machine or all the bolts?

ReverendLoki

Postby ReverendLoki » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

rick.s wrote:
SuperSteve wrote:
speising wrote:

Additionally, fire doors are only needed for fire walls. Their added expense means that a building will only have them where needed. Not every wall in a building is designed to keep a fire out for several hours. The axe has other uses as well.

A lot of the time, the fireman's axe is half of a paired set with a Halligan bar, which are referred to collectively as The Irons. The bar is a claw/wedge/adze/pick style multi tool, and the axe itself usually has a pick opposite the blade. The two can also be used together, the axe providing the pivot for the bar, for example.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Just posting the "combined man" reminded me of scenes from an Indian movie called "Enthiran" or "Enthiran the Robot". Search it on youtube -- alright here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBnl_krN_U

Return to “What If?”