What-if 0094: "Billion-Story Building"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

FLHerne

Re: What-if #0094: Billion-Story Building

Postby FLHerne » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:33 am UTC

xorsyst wrote:I've travelled 36 years into the future to say one word:

Paternoster

Much more space-efficient than a standard lift [elevator]

But also much slower. Not ideal for travelling out past the moon in, really. :roll:

Maybe you could have single-direction lift shafts like that, but with the cars able to move at different speeds and ideally overtake each other when one needed to stop. :?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:45 pm UTC

SuperSteve wrote:
speising wrote:for a starter, anything above geosync orbit would have negative gravity, and since that includes most of it, it would be torn off it's foundations.
and i don't even want to think of the forces involved if it wasn't built at the equator. (well, a pole would maybe be the most benign place in this regard.)

What if we build two of them on opposite sides of the world and connect them to each other? Equal and opposite forces sum to zero, so there's no net force on the foundation or the earth.
No net force, but there would be a hell of a tension force trying to pull apart every part of the foundation.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

Who said the building had to be grounded on earth? If it reaches halfway* to Mars anyway, why not just have it a free-floating object? Or does the "story" part of the "billion-story building" imply an vertical direction, requiring a ground?

*If I told you once, I told you a million times; don't exaggerate.
Last edited by Whizbang on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

That's what nanotubes are for.
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm UTC

HES wrote:That's what nanotubes are for.

Back of the virtual envelope calculation(which is to say pulled out of my exit port) suggests they won't be strong enough. We need femtotubes!
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:The Keira-skyscraper would be pretty close to impossible to build. You would have to keep it from crashing into the Moon ...

You wouldn't have to worry about this if you built it at the north pole, where the moon is never directly overhead. Fewer satellites to hit, too. (You also wouldn't have to worry about the next iteration hitting the sun, either!)
Mikeski wrote:I like the Jetsons rings on the mega-mega-mega-skyscraper.

Is that what those are? I thought it represented spinning... to counteract the earth's spin or something.
brenok wrote:I don't know why he's calling them "mega-skyscrapers", when they're obviously hecto-skyscrapers.

This. That usage of mega really bothered me, too. But, it might be better to define a skyscraper (as an SI-unit) as 1000 stories. So the Keira-skyscraper would be a mega-skyscraper.
FLHerne wrote:
xorsyst wrote:I've travelled 36 years into the future to say one word:
Paternoster

Much more space-efficient than a standard lift [elevator]

But also much slower. Not ideal for travelling out past the moon in, really.

No, he's right... prayer will get you all the way to heaven!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:So, a tenth of a sextyriad is ten hundred myriad byriad tyriad quadyriad quintyriad? I like it.

Although (10^64)-1 would be ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad byriad tyriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine byriad tyriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad tyriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine tyriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad byriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine byriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine quadyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad byriad tyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine byriad tyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad tyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine tyriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad byriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine byriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine myriad, ninety hundred and ninety-nine.

That hardly rolls off the tongue more easily than "nine hundred and ninety-nine novemdecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine octodecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine septendecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine sexdecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine quindecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine quattuordecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine tredecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine duodecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine undecillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine decillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine nonillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine octillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine septillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine sextillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine quintillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine quadrillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine trillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine billion, nine hundred and ninety-nine million, nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

It's probably easier to spell out the digits at that point.
He/Him/His Image

donbock

Postby donbock » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

The elevator compartment would have to be pretty big to fit a control panel that has a billion buttons.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

donbock wrote:The elevator compartment would have to be pretty big to fit a control panel that has a billion buttons.

That or just a prompt and the standard 10 numbers. Like purchasing from a vending machine.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

As we perseverate about number names, remember that the region with the most english speakers is South Asia (India, Pakistan, Burma etc.) and they use the Indian Numbering System

1e3 = one thousand = 1,000
    1e5 = one lakh = 1,00,000
    1e7 = one crore = 1,00,00,000
    1e9 = one arab = 1,00,00,00,000
    1e11 = one kharab = 1,00,00,00,00,000
    1e12 = one lakh crore = 10,00,00,00,00,000
... and onwards into neel, padm, shankh etc. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. Given that a rupee is about 2 cents US, and the vast size of the Indian government, you actually see quotes about "lakh crore" budgets in the Times of India

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

donbock wrote:The elevator compartment would have to be pretty big to fit a control panel that has a billion buttons.

Now, really folks: try to have vision! That comment is like the SciFi stories in the 40s and 50s in which interstellar FTL spaceships were run by engineers using lookup tables and slide rules.

Long before we get this elevator, we'll have smart-swipe cards, or more likely, embedded data chips in our necks so the elevator scans us and knows where we're headed.

Besides, the top 100 million or so stories are all luxury condos for people richer than you.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

This building will cost a lot of money. We might as well start saving for it now. I'll go start a Kickstarter campaign to get the ball rolling. The first 100 million donors get a floor named after them.

Aaannnd go!

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

Arthur C. Clarke's 3001 includes the next step beyond a space elevator: a sort of space elevator tower made of diamond. Like a space elevator, it's supported from the top, so it's bigger at the top than at the bottom. But unlike a space elevator it has stories - lots of stories.

But don't let your daughter read it until she's older. When you're ready to explain circumcision, or the lack thereof. :roll:

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

I'm disappointed (assuming I did the math right) that the top of the building is only moving (around the center of the earth) at 0.1% C.

(14 ft/story * 1000 000 000 stories + 21000000 ft) * Tau / 86164 second -> 1022000ft/s (pretty close to 1Mf/sec according to floppy disk manufacturers)

I thought it would be going faster. (Still, 4x the speed of the Helios 2 probe)

--Joe

david_h

Postby david_h » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

Is there a mistake in the text and/or the penultimate image?

The text says:

we have to stack 10 mega-mega-MEGA-skyscrapers on top of each other, to make one Keira-skyscraper:

But the image says "100 mega-mega-mega skyscrapers."

WindRider

Postby WindRider » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

Read an SF book recently that described a ground-to-orbital-height skyscraper that was constructed with a full-sized space station, maybe a ring-world thing, on the top end which was the terminus for a space elevator. The building construction had proceeded from both ends, thus solving the squished floors problem. As I recall, there were three such skyscrapers to give relatively-local easy access to orbit. Not a Keira-skyscraper, but impressive nonetheless.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

I don't see the elevators being an issue, they just need to be able to move a small amount laterally. Up shaft, down shaft, up stop, down stop.
He/Him/His Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

I imagine something like this would require more than just on-demand elevators. A single elevator taking up a vertical space of 1 billion floors? How about a train/subway like system where an elevator makes a stop on each floor at a certain time. Once it gets to the top, it shifts over a space and comes down, allowing a lot more elevator cars on a single line. Plus, for speed, some lines go up 100 floors before stopping. Imagine that ever floor has a car, and they all move up by 100, therefore every time it stops, every floor opens up to let people off. If you are on floor 105, you get off on floor 205. And so on. Others go up 1,000. Others go up only 1, or ten. Still others go up a million. You just have a big series conveyor belt elevators. If you miss your car, another will come along in a few minutes. Obviously the ones that go up 1 million floors will have more time between stops. I am imagining these cars would be very large, to accommodate a lot of people, and probably have a restaurant or shopping center attached. Maybe like an elevator that does double duty as a mall.

donbock

Postby donbock » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Am I meeting my wife on floor 112,567,998; or was it 112,576,998?
Parking garages use a unique color scheme or musical theme to make the levels distinctive. A billion shades of gray! How many songs do you have to go through to in order to select the top billion?

We can save a lot of time and money by putting up a much smaller building. I'll be happily retired by the time the inspector realizes there are only 10,000,000 floors.

david_h

Postby david_h » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Each floor could have its own smell instead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26638085

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

Meh. Like said above, by the time the tower is built, smart devices will be so much more advanced than they are today as to seem magical. Even today you just send a text message, or make a memo, or appointment or whatever. It wouldn't be that difficult to remember where your meeting is. In fact, a number, even a long one, would be much simpler than the street address systems of today.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

Slap some solar panels on the side and you might be able to generate enough power actually light up an appreciable portion of it.

Of course, that's assuming your source of building materials also has plenty of silicon/germanium/graphene.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

Most of it would only be in shadow for small fraction of the time, if at all. It seems like mirrors would make more sense.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu May 01, 2014 12:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Slap some solar panels on the side and you might be able to generate enough power actually light up an appreciable portion of it.

Of course, that's assuming your source of building materials also has plenty of silicon/germanium/graphene.

Artificial graphene shouldn't be a problem given the materials technology to construct the building - though you may have issues with there only being a finite supply of carbon locally...

You may well be resorting to industrial nucleosynthesis as part of your manufacturing process anyway, so relative abundance of elements probably isn't a problem...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:You may well be resorting to industrial nucleosynthesis as part of your manufacturing process anyway, so relative abundance of elements probably isn't a problem...

DIY Keira Tower:

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 am UTC

To all of those stating how fortunate it is that Kiera isn't British:

It isn't "British" and "American" numbers, its "long scale" (billion = 10^12) and "short scale" (billion=10^9) and there are many countries that use each of them.

I don't know when it happened, but the short-scale is definitely what we use here (the UK) now.

Now if you could use a temperature scale that isn't calibrated using blood that would be great.

:D

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 am UTC

p1t1o wrote:To all of those stating how fortunate it is that Kiera isn't British:

It isn't "British" and "American" numbers, its "long scale" (billion = 10^12) and "short scale" (billion=10^9) and there are many countries that use each of them.

I don't know when it happened, but the short-scale is definitely what we use here (the UK) now.

I think it was "before my time", when Harold Wilson decided for us.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

peregrine_crow

Postby peregrine_crow » Thu May 01, 2014 11:45 am UTC

Blech, short scale. As a person from a country that still almost exclusively uses the long scale system (the Netherlands) I'd like to ask all of the rest world to please come join us in using sensible numbering systems (and while you're at it, go pick up some more sensible units too).

My younger self was always really confused as to why the english word billion translates to "miljard" in dutch while the dutch "biljoen" translates to trillion.
Last edited by peregrine_crow on Thu May 01, 2014 11:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 am UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:My younger self was always really confused as to why the english word billion translates to "miljard" in dutch while the dutch "biljoen" translates to trillion.

Because you touch yourself at night.

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Thu May 01, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Meh. Like said above, by the time the tower is built, smart devices will be so much more advanced than they are today as to seem magical. Even today you just send a text message, or make a memo, or appointment or whatever. It wouldn't be that difficult to remember where your meeting is. In fact, a number, even a long one, would be much simpler than the street address systems of today.

Smart devices wouldn't work. You'd only be able to have 4 devices per floor until you run out of IPv4 addresses. And it'll take longer to implement IPv6 than to build this tower.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
threap wrote:Good job Keira is not British. In traditional British usage, a Billion is a million million, 1012 - the term "milliard" was used to denote 1000 million / 109.

No, things would be much, much easier if Keira were British, since she would simply be asking for a building that housed a billion tales. A structure with 10^9 or 10^12 floors would be a billion-storey building. :D

THANK you. This is what a 14 million story book building looks like.

With manuscripts, maps, newspapers, magazines, prints and drawings, music scores, and patents, it now has well over over 150 million items (with 3 million added each year). Quite a lot won't contain any stories (the Magna Carta, or the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual for the Hillman / Chrysler Imp from 1963 to 1976, are very dry when it comes to fanciful tales to evoke emotion), but some items (copies of 2000 A.D, newspapers containing a page of comic strips and reports of events) would contain many stories. It may contain a billion stories in itself right now.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

You're still in a pretty bloated mindset. If we had a billion six-word stories, they could be compiled into about 60,000 print volumes, which is a pretty modest small-town library's worth.
---

(he/him/his)

HES

Postby HES » Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

...or a MicroSD card.
He/Him/His Image

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 01, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

Yeah, but is a card really a "building"?
---

(he/him/his)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu May 01, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

OK, so put the card in a tiny building. You can make one out of legos.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, but is a card really a "building"?

Give it a few years, it could make itself into anything...

42Across

Postby 42Across » Thu May 01, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

Seems easy enough to do... just number the floors 1, 2, 3, ... 1 billion!
They do it all the time to charge higher rent for higher (read more prestigious) floors and/or to avoid 'bad' numbers like 13.

suso

Postby suso » Thu May 01, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

Why does the building have to go straight up? What about curving it back on itself or building the building sideways laying on the ground. Sure it would be weird, but at least it would be easier to accomplish, plus it would be easier to build it in modules and have lots of people working on it.

Or more to that matter, why does the building have to be attached to a planet? If you could build a billion story building out in deep space, would it be more feasible other than the matter of getting materials and lauching, etc?
Imagine theres no signatures....

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

suso wrote:Why does the building have to go straight up? What about curving it back on itself or building the building sideways laying on the ground. Sure it would be weird, but at least it would be easier to accomplish, plus it would be easier to build it in modules and have lots of people working on it.

I don't think it makes sense talking about stories on a horizontal building. Is a train a multi-story building?

Return to “What If?”