What-if 0095: "Pyramid Energy"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: What-if 0095: "Pyramid Energy"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 09, 2014 12:29 pm UTC

keithl wrote:
speising wrote:15000 hours?
I get a number closer to 300 million hours. I think Randal's adding machine slipped a cog.
No, he just wrote "hours" when the correct unit is "person-decade".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

steve_i wrote:"The Berg" does exist. When the battery powering the SEP field needs changing, it can be seen quite clearly...

Painting the mountain pink... that was a nice touch. Nobody was expecting to see that, which I guess was the whole point.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri May 09, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

steve_i wrote:"The Berg" does exist. When the battery powering the SEP field needs changing, it can be seen quite clearly...

I have it on good authority that, if it is a normal torch battery, the field should remain powered for over a century. It should still have quite a bit of time left.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

mcv

Postby mcv » Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 pm UTC

nfb wrote:A similar joke is "I want my grandfather's bike back!". At the end of the war the Germans would confiscate bikes (and a Dutchman's bike is his pride) to be send back to Germany to be used as scrap metal in the war industry.

Scrap metal? I thought it was about German soldiers who wanted to flee to Germany, as the Americans and Canadians were on their way, and they didn't have transportation back home.

Whatever the case, I love that Randall is making Dutch-German jokes.

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Wed May 14, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

J L wrote:Being a German I feel compelled to point out that "geradeaus", like most of our longish words, has to be written in one word, else it would translate to something like "straightly off", a command not even an occupying Nazi could make heads or tails of.

"currently off"

Tyndmyr wrote:Obviously, pyramid energy stores time. That's how the bodies stay so fresh. Just don't build 'em too big.

Confirmed: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramids_(novel)

----

When Hitler thought about destroying Berlin and building Germaina (City) instead, he ordered the en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerbelastungskörper to be built. Turns out Berlin's ground is too soft.

(PS: Links to Wikipedia are identified as SPAM)

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Wed May 14, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
teelo wrote:It was an epic scene when O'neill ring transports the nuke up to Ra's ship while its in orbit. The look on Ra's face when he sees the timer :twisted: :twisted:

That was O'Neil, with one L. O'Neill with two Ls is a different guy with a much better sense of humor.

There were so many differences between the movie and the series that we can't be sure how the original spells his name.

But at least they didn't use time-travelling to justify the changes. And they gave up on the gratuitous nudity as soon as their contract permitted.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

x7eggert wrote:(PS: Links to Wikipedia are identified as SPAM)

All links are identified as spam for new users, because it's against the forum rules to post links before you've somewhat established yourself here.

jpvlsmv wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
teelo wrote:It was an epic scene when O'neill ring transports the nuke up to Ra's ship while its in orbit. The look on Ra's face when he sees the timer :twisted: :twisted:

That was O'Neil, with one L. O'Neill with two Ls is a different guy with a much better sense of humor.

There were so many differences between the movie and the series that we can't be sure how the original spells his name.

Yes, we can, because it is spelled in the movie, in the script, subtitles, or credits even if not spoken or shown by the actors themselves.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 14, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

Also in the show, O'Neill tells a reporter once how to spell his name, and clarifies that there's a different Col. O'Neil in the USAF, one who has no sense of humor.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 14, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, we clearly know the spelling on the show because they call attention to it (though again even if they didn't the credits would have the canonical spelling).
---

(he/him/his)

jimhsu

Postby jimhsu » Sat May 17, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Hm, I confess I was thinking of the other form of pyramid energy when reading the title of the article. If all the energy people spent promoting (and chasing) Ponzi schemes was spent building rockets... where would we go? Stats?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon May 19, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Oh, yeah, we clearly know the spelling on the show because they call attention to it (though again even if they didn't the credits would have the canonical spelling).

Also, although I'm not certain of this (as I never made an effort to pay close attention to this in particular when watching the show), I would assume it is visible on his uniform in (nearly?) every episode. Possibly the credits as well.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Rincewind_wizzard

Postby Rincewind_wizzard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

chris857 wrote:Pyramid Energy

"What took more energy, the building of the Great Pyramid of Giza or the Apollo Mission? If we could convert the energy to build the Great Pyramid, would it be enough to send a rocket to the Moon and back?"

Ah, but the question asked about sending "a rocket" to the moon, not necessarily Apollo. Quick, is there a rocket the pyramid could send?

This is a bit late, but... let's take just the gravitational potential energy stored in the pyramid - with mass 5.9 million tons and center of mass 36.5 m above ground, it is 215 x 10^10 Joules (I have no clue how much energy was lost during construction, I think it must have been many times more).

An object in Lunar orbit is approximately 384 000 km high and moves at about 1 km/s. Free-fall speed from this height is very close to Earth's escape velocity of 11.2 km/s - at this speed, an object would have mass/2 * 11 200^2 (m/2*v^2) joules of energy. Same equation applies to energy of its orbital motion (1 km/s).

Now it is trivial to find mass of orbiter that would have energy equal to that calculated for the great pyramid. It works out to 32 820 kg. Assuming no losses in transformation of pyramid's gravitational potential energy to energy of the orbiter.

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Sat May 30, 2015 3:54 am UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:For some reason, the idiot who wants to build a mountain in the Netherlands hasn't given up yet :roll: . The plan is completely moronic by any standards, the question about what it would do to the Dutch surface is the least of my concerns. What happens to the Dutch climate if you suddenly put a mountain of 2 to 3km in here. Looks like I've got another question to submit. Especially considering Randall's highly accurate doomsday thinking, I hope that the ridiculous mountain builders forever give up.

Also, it's impossible to get the resources for a 2 to 3km mountain, but still. I want such stupid plans to be shot down before someone even talks about it.

What. The. Heck. :shock:

Return to “What If?”