What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7536
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 am UTC

Klear wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:I wasn't pointing out a mere technicality, I meant that that's what the word means so I don't actually know what was being said.

That's what it technically means, yeah. It's also often used as a shorthand for fiction that is neither poetry, nor drama.

It basically means "normal people-talking"... as opposed to other specialised forms of writing. In literature, as you say, it basically means "not poetry" or such things... In maths/physics, it mostly means "not symbols and formulae"... eg saying "it was 3 metres away" instead of "s = 3m". Look at a mathematical proof, or a scientific argument, or whatnot, and you have patches of symbolic manipulation and calculations, and tables of results... but all the other words around them are prose. The formula can tell you that E=mc2, but it's the prose that tells you what E, m and c are, and why you should care that these things are equal.

The point is that dismissing a term as "only useful in prose" isn't that strong... because prose is a significant part of, and often the most interesting part of, pretty much anything.

(Now, to be fair, I get the impression that Neil was being facetious with that comment... but I can't tell for 100% sure...)

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby Klear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 am UTC

I think he meant that they are not useful as scientific measurements, since we already have plenty of well defined ones, so using some without any precise definition isn't very helpful.

I wasn't arguing that point, just saying that his use of the word "prose" was completely valid.

Edit: Also, I really wanted to link the SMBC comic, even before I came to this thread.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25529
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:58 am UTC

I get that that's what he's saying, I just don't get the point, because no one I know of was previously using them scientifically to mean specific quantities of time.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Kaiman
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby Kaiman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:48 am UTC

6 miles in a day? Are we talking about a bunch of geriatrics?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25529
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:45 am UTC

He's using metric, and 10km is the order of magnitude closest to how far most people could walk every day.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
AJR
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:53 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby AJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

As a real-life comparison, there is Noelle Poulson, who has just finished walking every street in "central London" (defined as the road congestion charging zone, which is 21 km².) She's walked just under 400 miles, with a total time of 175 hours, which if you walked for 6 hours each day would be a month (she actually did it over the course of almost 2 years). At that rate, you could cover NYC's 6,074 miles in just 15 months, or 21 months if you took weekends off.

David24
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:03 am UTC

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby David24 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:15 am UTC

There is an element to this question that didn't come up - the legality of the situation. Sure, you could walk a distance equivalent to New York, but that's not the question. If we assume that breaking and entering, thus attracting police attention, would be the inefficient method, how long would it take for a person, no matter who, to gain legal authority to enter these places.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am UTC

David24 wrote:There is an element to this question that didn't come up - the legality of the situation. Sure, you could walk a distance equivalent to New York, but that's not the question. If we assume that breaking and entering, thus attracting police attention, would be the inefficient method, how long would it take for a person, no matter who, to gain legal authority to enter these places.

That's probably infinite, as there are bound to be some who refuse (well within their rights).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
David24 wrote:There is an element to this question that didn't come up - the legality of the situation. Sure, you could walk a distance equivalent to New York, but that's not the question. If we assume that breaking and entering, thus attracting police attention, would be the inefficient method, how long would it take for a person, no matter who, to gain legal authority to enter these places.

That's probably infinite, as there are bound to be some who refuse (well within their rights).


Do their rights extend to an eternal bar, or does their right to bar you from their property expire with their ownership?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7536
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby phlip » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

On the other hand, if we're taking that long a view, are we able to get access to these buildings at a rate faster than the rate at which NYC is expanding? If a new building is built while we're waiting for access to an old one, can we ever make it to the end of the list? What if a new building is built over the top of an old building we had previously visited, but which has since been torn down? Do we need to re-visit that block? If so, what if an old building is gradually repaired, Ship of Theseus style? Does that count?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
ubikuberalles
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby ubikuberalles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Question: If it was a woman walking all those streets in New york, how many times would she be harrassed?
Ranch!

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 3563
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:34 pm UTC

If I were to walk all those streets in New York, how many times would I become uncontrollably nauseous because some asshole thinks it's OK to spew their drugs into the air of public streets other people have to walk on too?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Joe O
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0110: "Walking New York"

Postby Joe O » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:55 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Imlekk wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a small typo there. It says it takes 100 days to walk 6,074 miles. I think it should be 1000 days, unless someone walks 60 miles a day.
He's figuring continuous walking (i.e. no sleep breaks).

At first I thought you were wrong, since 6074 miles / 6 miles per day is so nicely "a little over 100(0)."
But, the steady walking speed he had mentioned just before is 2.5 MPH which would take 101.2 days if walking constantly, a little over 100.
I guess it is right either way, though as someone who has walked 2500+ miles from Mexico to Canada I know from experience that I would much rather go 6 miles a day than 60.


Return to “What If?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests