What-If 0130: "Snow Removal"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gladiolas

Re: What-If 0130: "Snow Removal"

Postby gladiolas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

A real website. With a real offer.

http://shipsnowyo.com

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

PatTheGreat wrote:He's unfortunately got the power output of a carrier nuclear reactor wrong. The A4W plant on a carrier produces 550 megawatts of power, and each carrier has two. So to provide the energy for the snow-melter contraption, he would only need one carrier, and only slightly over one of those reactors (so total carrier output 1100 megawatts. Or maybe one A4W reactor and the smaller reactor on a submarine. That'd be cool. I work in naval nuclear propulsion on the by and by.

This has been bothering me, as well. I don't know how much power the A2W made, but with eight of them I'm guessing the total wasn't much less than the two A4Ws. Perhaps he found the A1W's output but didn't get to the "there are eight of them" part of the story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A4W_reactor
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

sam_i_am

Postby sam_i_am » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

after all, we don't use flamethrowers in our kitchens.

You mean you never cook Creme Brulee at you house

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:41 pm UTC

sam_i_am wrote:

Do you know what a flamethrower is?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
sam_i_am wrote:

Well, how else do you make it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlFEkOua4TQ

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
sam_i_am wrote:

Well, how else do you make it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlFEkOua4TQ

Not actually a flamethrower. That's just an oversized torch.

A flamethrower actually throws flame -- that is, squirts a flammable substance which is subsequently ignited.

/endpedantry

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Yeah, the fact that the YouTube title says "flamethrower" does not mean the video actually depicts a flamethrower.

This is what a flamethrower does.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

My whole life has been a lie.

andrewhalsey

Postby andrewhalsey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:17 am UTC

I joined the forum to correct the power output of the carrier, but I see other nukes have already been here haha. MM2(SS) Halsey

Polixenes

Postby Polixenes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

How about mounting a small black hole on the front of your car to suck up all that snow?

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

Polixenes wrote:How about mounting a small black hole on the front of your car to suck up all that snow?

Well, depends on your definition of "small".

A "small" black hole will emit significant Hawking radiation...the smaller, the hotter. A black hole of 760 million metric tonnes (around twice the mass of the entire human population) will produce the requisite 574 MW of power to melt the snow for you, and will last you approximately 20 years before evaporating completely. Of course, the longer you use it, the hotter it will become, so that's something to be careful about.

Of course, that black hole is going to be only 2.26 femtometres across, roughly the size of a proton. At 760 million metric tonnes, that means it will exert 1.9e17 trillion gigapascals of pressure on whatever you're using to hold it. That's about 100 million times more pressure than what you'd get inside a neutron star.

If you want to use a larger black hole to actually suck it all up, you're going to end up creating a nasty accretion disc which will tend to inhibit your suction capabilities. While also destroying the Earth. Which, I suppose, does fit under the category of "snow removal".

ribber

Postby ribber » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 pm UTC

So a follow-up question:
Here in Massachusetts, the snow obviously has wreaked havoc on the transportation system. The jet-engine clearing device on the T was a joke. Here's what I'm wondering: in the T tunnels, you have no snow on the rails and a working electrified 600V third rail that carries enough amps to move several trains. Assuming a T-train cart, with a plow that can get all but 1" of ice off the rails, how much power would it take to have the rail-cart with plow radiate heat on the 2 rails + the third rail? Doing it using the electricity means not having to fuel up jet fuel. It seems firing up a jet turbine engine to blow at the rails was really slow and not very effective (took 3 days to finish the Orange Line north, which is what, 3 miles?)

Return to “What If?”