What-If 0136: "Spiders vs. the Sun"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rmsgrey

Re: What-If 0136: "Spiders vs. the Sun"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

speising wrote:Note also the "news" about the book...

Which has been there for months now.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

So what's up?

That's an oddly specific time he gave.

Guess we have to take a cue from 1190.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:So what's up?

That's an oddly specific time he gave.

kolie wrote:New Horizons' closest approach to Pluto will be at 7:49:59 a.m. EDT (11:49:59 UTC) on July 14, 2015.

Should be a good one!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

kolie

Postby kolie » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 am UTC

Time was updated to my prediction, EDT in 2015..... I win all teh intertuben.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 am UTC

Oh, the date got updated. Here I was thinking it was surely some sort of joke, being that specific on the time in the past.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

NealCruco

Postby NealCruco » Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I think that notice was put in place when he was doing the book tour. I don't think it is valid anymore.

No, I can assure you that that notice is brand new. Apparently Randall made a typo on the date; he's fixed it now.
Anyway, I'm glad to see that Randall finally gave us some information. I expected what-if to be on hold indefinitely, but Randall actually gave us a date- maybe to hold himself accountable. If, in July, updates start appearing every Tuesday morning like they used to, that would be even better.

keithl

Postby keithl » Sat May 09, 2015 12:06 am UTC

I cannot wait until July - my what-if glands will wither and die.

So I set up what-if.wikia.com, and seeded it with an incomplete "what-if" of my own, 001-EarthBasketball, inspired by Basketball Earth:

What if the Earth was compressed to the size of a basketball? If released suddenly, would the other planets and the Sun survive?

I did not get far (I am not GLR) - but perhaps a competent quantum mechanic can compute the degeneracy pressure and energy of quarks compressed to a billion times the density of an atomic nucleus or the core of a neutron star - and whether that additional energy will somehow increase the Schwarzchild radius beyond the 9 millimeters of 5.97E24 kilograms of cold matter. I expect that like most good what-ifs, the result will be horrendous, making a supernova look tame.

Of course, other wikia.com users are free to edit or complete this page, and to add what-if pages of their own. This might get out of hand, the numbering almost certainly will, but I'm curious what this bright bunch will come up with. The prelates can decide whether this topic deserves it's own what-if in this forum, or another. Contact me if I bollixed the wikia setup, and we will debolixify it together.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat May 09, 2015 4:27 am UTC

Kinda seems like this is already provided in the Fictional Science subforum? But I think we'd need to answer each other's questions, or something, rather than our own, to make it really work. Randall so very often spins off in fun and unexpected directions from the question....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Starmute

Postby Starmute » Sun May 10, 2015 3:26 am UTC

I've added a What-If, 002 - Sodium Dump, to the What-If Wiki.
How big would the explosion be if you extracted every sodium compound from the Earth's crust, purified it into elemental sodium, and dumped it into the ocean?
This one should be complete, but if you find any errors please correct them.
I tried to go off in various directions, in true Randall Munroe tradition.
Creating a What-If of my own was surprisingly fun!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 10, 2015 3:55 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Kinda seems like this is already provided in the Fictional Science subforum? But I think we'd need to answer each other's questions, or something, rather than our own, to make it really work. Randall so very often spins off in fun and unexpected directions from the question....
Yeah, I don't see why this couldn't be a forum thing just as easily, and you'd get more helpful information in a thread than you're likely to in an unknown wiki.

Starmute wrote:This one should be complete, but if you find any errors please correct them.
Biggest error was already pointed out in the comment: you're assuming the energy will be released all at once like in a meteor impact. But energy density and explosiveness are completely different characteristics, and you've used the one to infer the other.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “What If?”