What-if 0153: "Hide the Atmosphere"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SDK

Re: What-if 0153: "Hide the Atmosphere"

Postby SDK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:When I saw "Star Wars: The Force Begins", I was struck by exactly this question. The film includes
Spoiler:
an entire planet which has been converted into a hyper Death Star, including a trench which must be hundreds of miles deep and hundreds of miles across. Quite aside from the 'engineering problems', the planets entire atmosphere should have collected in the bottom of the trench, leaving the surface in vacuum. Yet it is shown with atmosphere, and lush vegetation

Perhaps digging that trench was the first step in terraforming the planet (that particular planet having far too much atmosphere for humanoid survival, of course).
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:30 am UTC

Everything old is new. Larry Niven postulated an idea something like this. A planet with a giant chasm on a planet created by a magic weapon. All the atmosphere went into the chasm. Called it Canyon.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 am UTC

This is a reason for trump to build a moat instead of a wall

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:45 am UTC

If it's going to be a moat, why not make it a canal while you're at it, since the Mexican border runs from ocean to ocean. (Then make Panama pay for it.)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Everything old is new. Larry Niven postulated an idea something like this. A planet with a giant chasm on a planet created by a magic weapon. All the atmosphere went into the chasm. Called it Canyon.

CS Lewis did it in his Interplanetary Trilogy - the first book was set largely on a planet where the highlands are unlivable for want of air, while the valleys are shirt-sleeve environments.

And Niven also did Lookitthat - a roughly Venus-like world except for one giant upcropping of rock forming a habitable plateau (which happened to be where the robot probe landed)

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:If it's going to be a moat, why not make it a canal while you're at it, since the Mexican border runs from ocean to ocean. (Then make Panama pay for it.)

Then it would just fill up with sea water, defeating the purpose. I want the rest of the world to suffocate...... in this scenario.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 01, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

teelo wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:If it's going to be a moat, why not make it a canal while you're at it, since the Mexican border runs from ocean to ocean. (Then make Panama pay for it.)

Then it would just fill up with sea water, defeating the purpose. I want the rest of the world to suffocate...... in this scenario.

Either way, the Netherlands will probably benefit in the long run, with its consistently lower altitudes being less inimical to life post (sea/atmosphere-swallowing) trench...

Return to “What If?”