What-If 0003: "Yoda"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Copper Bezel

Re: What-If 0003:" Yoda"

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

Yeah, that's a much more accurate read of that exchange. I see it interpreted the other way quite a bit, and it's probably the fault of poor wording, but I'm pretty sure that's what was meant.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

andkamen

Postby andkamen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

I can't do the math exactly but I think that yoda should be using substantially more power than the calculation since he not only needs to lift the fighter up a set height but he needs to get it out from a muddy swamp.

Since the plane is stuck in the mud there will be a quite significant force required to overcome the friction /suction from the mud on the bottom of that swamp

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

andkamen wrote:I can't do the math exactly but I think that yoda should be using substantially more power than the calculation since he not only needs to lift the fighter up a set height but he needs to get it out from a muddy swamp.

I doubt it. The friction and water pressure you're talking about scale with surface area, not mass. I mean, a massive object sinks in a bit further, but still ... surface area. So the square-cube law works in Yoda's favor here. This increased resistance
  • will be much smaller on a spaceship scale than you might expect based on experience at a human body scale;
  • will only happen at the beginning of the exercise - are you sure Yoda doesn't lift a little slower for the first few inches? I mean, that's what you'd expect;
  • will be counteracted a little, in any case, by buoyancy.
So no, it's not gonna affect the order-of-magnitude estimates here.

(Note: yes, friction sometimes scales with weight. Like, if you were sliding the ship along the mud. But not if you're lifting it out.)

Return to “What If?”