What-If 0023: "Short Answer Section II"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jamaican Castle

Re: What If 23: Short Answer Section II

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:To the oil tanker part, he means a ship not a semi truck right? And does that account for the space for cooling or do we assume the servers in the middle just magically don't melt into slag.

Yes, a ship. A tanker truck would be of... somewhat more modest capacity, to say the least. (Although you could probably fit a lot of data in one, if you used high-density drives.)

Also, he was considering hard drives, not servers; the response is how much room the Internet would occupy just sort of sitting there, not how much it needs to run.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

Oh right. A ship. That's much more believable. :oops:

------------
(In case anyone's sarcasm detector returns a false positive btw, that wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I genuinely thought it was a truck.)

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

ricketybridge wrote:
Himself wrote:Looking at videos of nuclear tests it seems that, even in every large explosions such as Castle Bravo there seems to be little effect on the clouds more than a few miles from the fireball. Hurricanes, by contrast, are very large convective complexes a few hundred miles across. The mushroom cloud itself seems to rise fairly rapidly, so with a large thermonuclear device would likely penetrate into the stratosphere fairly quickly. Water vaporized by the explosion would then condense within the storm, possibly giving it a little boost in strength, like throwing a stick on a campfire.
Things could get a bit more complicated by setting of the weapon in the eye, as air normally move down there, but I doubt any effects would last long.

Well that's disappointing. So what if we just carpetbombed the thing? The average area of a hurricane appears (according to one source at least) to be around 628 square miles. Let's say a the blast radius of a 15 megaton hydrogen bomb (which is dampened in a storm) is roughly one square mile. So let's say we detonate 628 hydrogen bombs across the entire area of the hurricane, all at the same time (on this "test earth" of course ;-)). What then? Surely the convection currents would be rather disrupted in that case? What if we dropped them all in the eye of the hurricane?

The average hurricane is much bigger than 628 square miles.That would be more like the area of a single thunderstorm. I recall reading somewhere that the average gale diameter is 300 miles. which gives an area of about 70,000 square miles. If we go with your figure we might see more intensification from heat, especially if they detonate in the water. Dropping them all in the eye, (or one 9.4 gigaton bomb) I don't know, perhaps it could trigger an eyewall replacement cycle.
I don't know if there are even 70,000 nukes in the world (certainly no Castle-Bravo force), and don't know what kind of disruption that might cause. However I could see it heating the ocean enough for the formation of a hypercane.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:Oh right. A ship. That's much more believable. :oops:

------------
(In case anyone's sarcasm detector returns a false positive btw, that wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I genuinely thought it was a truck.)

Huh. Me too. Which reminds me, recently I was driving behind a tanker truck that appeared to be full of coffee, and I thought, "that has to be less efficient than transporting the grounds"... And then I realized it was just an advert. Of course, now I see that the internet beat me to it.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

ricketybridge

Postby ricketybridge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

Himself wrote:The average hurricane is much bigger than 628 square miles.That would be more like the area of a single thunderstorm. I recall reading somewhere that the average gale diameter is 300 miles. which gives an area of about 70,000 square miles. If we go with your figure we might see more intensification from heat, especially if they detonate in the water. Dropping them all in the eye, (or one 9.4 gigaton bomb) I don't know, perhaps it could trigger an eyewall replacement cycle.
I don't know if there are even 70,000 nukes in the world (certainly no Castle-Bravo force), and don't know what kind of disruption that might cause. However I could see it heating the ocean enough for the formation of a hypercane.

GRRR I'm dumb!!!! Like I said, I can't science, and clearly I can't math, either. >:P

Right, so 70k nukes. Each of Castle Bravo magnitude. I'm not concerned with the fact that there aren't that many such nukes extant at the moment; as far as I know there aren't any diamond meteors going near the speed of light on hand, either.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Using the pattern (c?vc?)*, all stars could be named in 19 characters, instead or Randal's 24.

That regex would allow star names like "Uuuuuuuuu", though, and I'm not sure how to pronounce that so as to differentiate it from "Uuuuuuuuuu".

Not to mention the null name 8-)

Incidentally, it amused me that Randall's "example" ("Joebidenjoebidenjoebiden") didn't follow his (?:\v\c)+ pattern.

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 am UTC

What would happen if you threw a hurricane into a nuclear bomb? Would the radiation be immediatey blown away?

If everyone put little downspouts in the turbine generators of their region, how much power would we lose? Would we ever lose enough power to go into a blackout?

How much internet space does the data of the known universe take up?

What if you strapped a boomerang to the side of some C4? Would it fool the enemy or would it be as genius as it sounds?

dummy account

Postby dummy account » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 am UTC

I sort of question the effectiveness of a weapons system that blows up a C4-boomerang when it gets close to the target - realistically, switching from launch mode (throwing it) to detonate mode (pressing the button to blow it up) might take longer than it takes the boomerang to reach the target, and if there's any delay in signal processing the thrower may end up being toasted by his own rapidly approaching weapon. You could design it to work like a traditional boomerang, aiming for the legs or feet of the target and once they've been knocked over and lying mere inches from the stationary boomerang, then blowing it up, but this gets us to the heart of the problem: explosives by themselves aren't very efficient means of killing people outside of Hollywood films. Most real world anti-personnel explosives kill through shrapnel rather than the explosion itself. You might use a C-4 boomerang against armor, though, if it could be designed to stick solidly to most surfaces but not to the thrower's hand.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 am UTC

dummy account wrote:I sort of question the effectiveness of a weapons system that blows up a C4-boomerang when it gets close to the target - realistically, switching from launch mode (throwing it) to detonate mode (pressing the button to blow it up) might take longer than it takes the boomerang to reach the target, and if there's any delay in signal processing the thrower may end up being toasted by his own rapidly approaching weapon. You could design it to work like a traditional boomerang, aiming for the legs or feet of the target and once they've been knocked over and lying mere inches from the stationary boomerang, then blowing it up, but this gets us to the heart of the problem: explosives by themselves aren't very efficient means of killing people outside of Hollywood films. Most real world anti-personnel explosives kill through shrapnel rather than the explosion itself. You might use a C-4 boomerang against armor, though, if it could be designed to stick solidly to most surfaces but not to the thrower's hand.

What if it was voice activated via helmet radio -from the awesome battle armor you would be wearing to wield c4 boomerangs- to explode when you said "bangarang motherf***er".
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:25 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Reecer6 wrote:But what if we used more power? Then our boomerangs might not be able to be thrown, much less blow us up!
...What if we used more boomerangs?

I think that comic-generator based on 445 and 475 needs a custom update based on this what-if...

Done.
Last edited by phlip on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:11 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Reecer6 wrote:But what if we used more power? Then our boomerangs might not be able to be thrown, much less blow us up!

I think that comic-generator based on 445 and 475 needs a custom update based on this what-if...

Done.

This one is kinda funny, as well.
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

Ashtar

Postby Ashtar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 am UTC

Istaro wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:Using the pattern (c?vc?)*, all stars could be named in 19 characters, instead or Randal's 24.

That regex would allow star names like "Uuuuuuuuu", though, and I'm not sure how to pronounce that so as to differentiate it from "Uuuuuuuuuu".

Incidentally, it amused me that Randall's "example" ("Joebidenjoebidenjoebiden") didn't follow his (?:\v\c)+ pattern.

And since 3×10^23 is about 78 bits, then you could call them by more memorable names made up of 7 consecutive common words. "Correct horse battery staple great burning lemon."

charonme

Postby charonme » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

there's more to the world economy than the bills in circulation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply
As of November 17, 2011 the Federal Reserve reported that the U.S. dollar monetary base is $2,150,000,000,000. This is an increase of 28% in 2 years. The monetary base is only one component of money supply, however. M2, the broadest measure of money supply, has increased from approximately $8.48 trillion to $9.61 trillion from November 2009 to October 2011, the latest month-data available. This is a 2-year increase in U.S. M2 of approximately 12.9%

so the US banks added USD 565 000 000 000 per year and you with your puny printer added 200 000 000

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:

Point on the empty string. The repeated vowels would have guttural stops between them. Pronounceable? yes. Pleasant? no.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
dummy account wrote:I sort of question the effectiveness of a weapons system that blows up a C4-boomerang when it gets close to the target - realistically, switching from launch mode (throwing it) to detonate mode (pressing the button to blow it up) might take longer than it takes the boomerang to reach the target, and if there's any delay in signal processing the thrower may end up being toasted by his own rapidly approaching weapon. You could design it to work like a traditional boomerang, aiming for the legs or feet of the target and once they've been knocked over and lying mere inches from the stationary boomerang, then blowing it up, but this gets us to the heart of the problem: explosives by themselves aren't very efficient means of killing people outside of Hollywood films. Most real world anti-personnel explosives kill through shrapnel rather than the explosion itself. You might use a C-4 boomerang against armor, though, if it could be designed to stick solidly to most surfaces but not to the thrower's hand.

What if it was voice activated via helmet radio -from the awesome battle armor you would be wearing to wield c4 boomerangs- to explode when you said "bangarang motherf***er".

I was imagining having the detonation button in the hand which you weren't using to throw the boomerang. But your solution is much better. :)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

dummy account wrote:I sort of question the effectiveness of a weapons system that blows up a C4-boomerang when it gets close to the target - realistically, switching from launch mode (throwing it) to detonate mode (pressing the button to blow it up) might take longer than it takes the boomerang to reach the target, and if there's any delay in signal processing the thrower may end up being toasted by his own rapidly approaching weapon.
How fast do you think boomerangs travel, exactly? Because I've never seen one go faster than I can track with my eyes, and pushing a button doesn't take a whole lot of time.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Himself

Postby Himself » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

teelo wrote:What would happen if you threw a hurricane into a nuclear bomb? Would the radiation be immediatey blown away?

Actually, a portion of the fallout would probably fall to earth with the rain. Something along these lines happened in the Philippines in 1991 when they were hit by a tropical storm during the eruption of Mt Pinatubo. The volcanic ash mixed with the rain, causing mud to fall from the sky.
-Ratio Tile

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:36 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
dummy account wrote:I sort of question the effectiveness of a weapons system that blows up a C4-boomerang when it gets close to the target - realistically, switching from launch mode (throwing it) to detonate mode (pressing the button to blow it up) might take longer than it takes the boomerang to reach the target, and if there's any delay in signal processing the thrower may end up being toasted by his own rapidly approaching weapon.
How fast do you think boomerangs travel, exactly? Because I've never seen one go faster than I can track with my eyes, and pushing a button doesn't take a whole lot of time.

I think the proposed time-consumer was switching from your empty-handed and in-motion posture in which you end the act of throwing the boomerang, to getting the detonator into your hands and standing by ready to push the button, while tracking the boomerang with your eyes and before it misses your target. Try this from your desk: with your favored hand, slowly lob an object in the air across your room, and then with that same hand press return on your keyboard exactly as the object hits the ground. I bet you'll be scrambling a bit to get from throwing-posture to poised over the return key in time.

Which is why the proposed solution of holding the detonator in your off hand is a good idea: you throw and track and never take your eye off it and when it's where you want it just move one finger that's been idling over a button the whole time. Try the above experiment while keeping your off hand on return the whole time, and it'll be a hell of a lot easier.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:02 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:
senor_cardgage wrote:And this is why we need a test Earth of some sort, perhaps on the other side of the sun, where we can try this stuff out without damaging the real one. When the test Earth gets too messed up, we just throw it into the sun and build a new one.

Funny... all my data suggests that we might already be on the test earth and not know it... hmmm.

Thst explains a grrat deal. This is not a real Earth. It is a test. Ahh. We may be failing.

There was a meme that was believed by many. It said, 'This life is a test.'
One man said, "No. If this were a test we would have been told where to go and what to do.''
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Daggertrout

Postby Daggertrout » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Done.

Heh.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Daggertrout wrote:
phlip wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Done.

Heh.

I like how negative numbers show the panels with the drawings mirrored but not the text. The generator also emits panels for 33, 34, 35, and 36 while the code does not appear to use those numbers (I'm not a php coder, and easily fooled by obfuscation). Any other panels hidden out there in number space? I would rather find out from you, rather than make 2^32 requests to your server, to see if more xkcd panels (perhaps all of them) are buried in there somewhere :|

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

keithl wrote: I like how negative numbers show the panels with the drawings mirrored but not the text.

:)

keithl wrote:The generator also emits panels for 33, 34, 35, and 36 [...]

Oops... that's not supposed to be an Easter egg, I must have just left them out of the blurb... completely forgot they existed. The C4 boomerang is number 37 now, not 32.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the utility in converting a reusable weapon into a one-shot.

Why not just throw a regular stick-grenade rather than a specially shaped piece of wood?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the utility in converting a reusable weapon into a one-shot.

Why not just throw a regular stick-grenade rather than a specially shaped piece of wood?

Does the Rule of Cool mean nothing to you?!

JimJ

Postby JimJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

DavidS wrote:
Since there are 7.8 billion $100 bills in circulation, and the lifetime of a $100 bill is about 90 months, that means there are about a billion produced each year. Your extra two million bills a year would barely be enough to notice.

The conclusion is right, but the argument is wrong. Those billion bills are replacing other worn out bills (banks take old bills to the Fed, who shreds them and returns new bills).

They aren't all used for replacement. All sources are also from FederalReserve.gov in the paymentsystems directory. (Obfuscating to avoid the spam catcher.) coin_currency_orders.htm says:

The estimated number of notes that Reserve Banks will destroy account for nearly 90 percent of the FY 2013 print order (excluding the quantity of new-design $100 notes); the expected growth of Reserve Bank payments to circulation accounts for the remainder of notes in the FY 2013 print order.

Of course, that small excluded portion does account for over half the value. :oops:

Stockpiling an entire series may be unusual, but stockpiling most of a low-demand series (like $2 notes) is apparently normal, so as not to print any in the following year.

coin_data.htm#value suggests that the supply of circulating currency typically goes up by about 1/16 per year, so the "approximately 90%" might just be their default assumption.

It looks to me as though the new hundreds would represent about a fifth of a percent of the intended growth in "circulating" currency, or a quarter of a percent of the intended new hundreds. That is (barely) enough to matter.

On the other hand, one reason for the increasing percentage of value in hundreds is that they are used (largely outside the US) as a store of value, and don't really circulate much. So (assuming the fakes get spent and not detected and not destroyed) they may well represent a far higher proportion of the actively circulating currency.

They would certainly have an effect if they were all released in the same relatively small town.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

Daggertrout wrote:
phlip wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Done.

Heh.

this had me laughing for a good long time.
EDIT: This is so much better. I literally have tears running down my face.

EDIT2: I call this, Despondency.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

That generator is really cool, and fun to play with. I'm sure everyone who new about it before has already had their fun with it though!

But I haven't, so here's mine:
http://www.mrphlip.com/boomerang/?28+16+33+23

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the utility in converting a reusable weapon into a one-shot.

But what's cool about a boomerang is that it comes back. A boomerang that doesn't come back has a different name. It's called a "stick".

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:16 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Klear wrote:

But what's cool about a boomerang is that it comes back. A boomerang that doesn't come back has a different name. It's called a "stick".

Flight patterns have nothing to do with the name, it's entirely the shape.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:That generator is really cool, and fun to play with. I'm sure everyone who new about it before has already had their fun with it though!

But I haven't, so here's mine:
http://www.mrphlip.com/boomerang/?28+16+33+23

Yeah, I've never played w/ it either, so I had to make this.

http://www.mrphlip.com/boomerang/?panels=1+18+20+33+35

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Isn't there a thread for posting these? There should be. In any case, I just got a great one:
http://www.mrphlip.com/boomerang/?panels=35+36+37+21

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

http://www.mrphlip.com/boomerang/?21+14+7+20+3

Alt text: "Can someone throw my boomerang back? Please? Guys?"
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

almitydave

Postby almitydave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Istaro wrote:...That regex would allow star names like "Uuuuuuuuu", though, and I'm not sure how to pronounce that so as to differentiate it from "Uuuuuuuuuu"....

...The repeated vowels would have guttural stops between them. Pronounceable? yes. Pleasant? no.

But it can be done: http://youtu.be/gODZzSOelss?t=2m51s
Dave

"If you approach a red light fast enough, it will appear green."

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Klear wrote:

Using it as a weapon implies actually hitting something, which means: no, boomerangs don't return when used as a weapon. What's cool about a boomerang is it's curved path, which enables multiple trajectories to a target, especially ones not available to other weapons.

Say you're trying to fight off the thought police (assuming, of course, a dystopian future run by Australian biker gangs). They have guns, you have a Boom!erang, you all have cover. To fire their guns they have to move themselves around the cover like schmucks. You, however, can throw your weapon from completely behind cover, to hit enemies completely behind cover, possibly from behind.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:(assuming, of course, a dystopian future run by Australian biker gangs)

I think we should call this assumption the Axiom of Awesomeness.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Sadly, Wikipedia seems to imply that "boomerangs which are used as weapons" and "boomerangs which return to the thrower" are non-intersecting sets. Pity...

I always figured the advantage of a boomerang weapon was that it returned to you (1) if you missed, or (2) after its interior razor-edge sliced somebody's head (or other body part) off. Of course, you wouldn't want it to hit you upon return, but land at your feet so that you could pick it up and throw it again.

"Oh, no! It's coming back this way!"
"That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us!"
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:I always figured the advantage of a boomerang weapon was that it returned to you (1) if you missed, or (2) after its interior razor-edge sliced somebody's head (or other body part) off.

Sounds like you've been watching too much Xena there mathmanix!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

charonme wrote:there's more to the world economy than the bills in circulation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply
As of November 17, 2011 the Federal Reserve reported that the U.S. dollar monetary base is $2,150,000,000,000. This is an increase of 28% in 2 years. The monetary base is only one component of money supply, however. M2, the broadest measure of money supply, has increased from approximately $8.48 trillion to $9.61 trillion from November 2009 to October 2011, the latest month-data available. This is a 2-year increase in U.S. M2 of approximately 12.9%

so the US banks added USD 565 000 000 000 per year and you with your puny printer added 200 000 000

MORE POWER!
What if we got all the readers of XKCD to print out money? 2825 readers could print out as much money as the banks added, and every 2825 readers after that could increase the output by a similar factor. Surely we have well over 3k readers? Or we could recruit that many?

addams wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
senor_cardgage wrote:And this is why we need a test Earth of some sort, perhaps on the other side of the sun, where we can try this stuff out without damaging the real one. When the test Earth gets too messed up, we just throw it into the sun and build a new one.

Funny... all my data suggests that we might already be on the test earth and not know it... hmmm.

Thst explains a grrat deal. This is not a real Earth. It is a test. Ahh. We may be failing.

There was a meme that was believed by many. It said, 'This life is a test.'
One man said, "No. If this were a test we would have been told where to go and what to do.''

Some say that this has already happened.

Literally: that's what Christians believe.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:33 am UTC

If you wanted to stop a hurricane using explosives, would you want to remove its angular momentum? Shaped (nuclear?) charges. Not just big bomb in the middle?
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Himself

Postby Himself » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:If you wanted to stop a hurricane using explosives, would you want to remove its angular momentum? Shaped (nuclear?) charges. Not just big bomb in the middle?

That sounds interesting, though that could trigger an eyewall replacement cycle.
-Ratio Tile

Return to “What If?”