1920: "Emoji Sports"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PinkShinyRose

1920: "Emoji Sports"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:37 am UTC

Title text: No horse has yet managed the elusive Quadruple Crown—winning the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, the Belmont Stakes, and the Missouri Horse Hole.

There's a lot of animal abuse in there. But is was still funny :oops: :evil:.

I'm also curious about what consequence archery would be. Are you firing at satellites? Or from a satellite?

rhomboidal

Re: 1920: "Emoji Sports"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 am UTC

I'm pretty sure at least a quarter of these are already in X Games.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am UTC

Snake Shaming made me chuckle; but on reflection it sounds more like some Judeo-Christian ritual than a sport. The leglessness of serpents is itself supposed to be a case of divine snake shaming, isn't it?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am UTC

This comic really stumped me. WTF?
(The http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1920 didn't help much.)

/Jon

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 am UTC

I'm pretty much emoji-blind (eighty percent of them look alike to me). But I'd still like to see how you'd render my favorite made-up sport: cross-country bowling.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I'm pretty much emoji-blind (eighty percent of them look alike to me). But I'd still like to see how you'd render my favorite made-up sport: cross-country bowling.

(Angry Face) (National Flag of choice) (Bowl of rice/steaming soup/whatever, as prefered)?

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:59 pm UTC

This makes me think only of the Face Joey made when he told Chandler and Ross about "Ultimate Fireball". Pause at 2.37

https://youtu.be/fbMl3ZYw8nA

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm UTC

-The cruelty free version of Tinkerball is, of course, badminton

-The first recorded game of Hell Escape was written in 1320.

orthogon wrote:Snake Shaming made me chuckle; but on reflection it sounds more like some Judeo-Christian ritual than a sport.

Practiced by some small groups of Pentecostals.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

I wonder if "Snake shaming" is deliberately reminiscent of the Gadsden flag? Randall trolling Trumpistas again?
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:06 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:-The first recorded game of Hell Escape was written in 1320.

Orpheus and Persephone would like a word. Of course, they were playing under an old ruleset, so purists may choose to disregard their games.

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:43 pm UTC

"Hell Escape" sounds like sounds like escape rooms as done by the organizers of Spartan races. Or vice-versa.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm UTC

The title text seems a bit odd. While plenty of breeders will immediately retire a horse to stud after winning a Kentucky Derby (the recent triple crown winner had already sold stud rights, so the owner had no reason to retire the horse early), you still should put Missouri Horse Hole before the Belmont.

SCSimmons

Postby SCSimmons » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:The title text seems a bit odd. While plenty of breeders will immediately retire a horse to stud after winning a Kentucky Derby (the recent triple crown winner had already sold stud rights, so the owner had no reason to retire the horse early), you still should put Missouri Horse Hole before the Belmont.

From the look of the emojis, I don't think any horse could be expected to race again after competing in the Missouri Horse Hole. Or even be retired to stud, for that matter.

measure

Postby measure » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:I'm also curious about what consequence archery would be. Are you firing at satellites? Or from a satellite?

I interpreted Consequence Archery as something like "failure to perform will result in consequences, which may include orbital death ray satellites". Similarly, Consequence Golf.

I like this style of comic, where the humor comes from the unexpected juxtapositions and the images they create. This is one of the best ones since keyboard->leopard and force->horse.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:11 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I'm pretty much emoji-blind (eighty percent of them look alike to me). But I'd still like to see how you'd render my favorite made-up sport: cross-country bowling.
{bowlingball} {Canadian flag} {ellipsis} {Mexican flag} {pin}{pin}{pin}{pin}

Personally I feel that Alpine bowling packs more entertainment into my limited time.
The Chinese have a great hybrid bowling alley but it is hard to find a time slot to play thanks to all the tourists and the fact there is only one lane available.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:-The cruelty free version of Tinkerball is, of course, badminton

-The first recorded game of Hell Escape was written in 1320.

orthogon wrote:Snake Shaming made me chuckle; but on reflection it sounds more like some Judeo-Christian ritual than a sport.

Practiced by some small groups of Pentecostals.

Hell escape only really got good though in 1993

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm UTC

Candle eating looks like it could be a real emoji for fancy dinner for two.

MissLissa

Postby MissLissa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 pm UTC

Horse Hole sounds a lot like Polo to me.

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm UTC

measure wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:I'm also curious about what consequence archery would be. Are you firing at satellites? Or from a satellite?

I interpreted Consequence Archery as something like "failure to perform will result in consequences, which may include orbital death ray satellites". Similarly, Consequence Golf.

I like this style of comic, where the humor comes from the unexpected juxtapositions and the images they create. This is one of the best ones since keyboard->leopard and force->horse.

I read the Consequence Archery as archery on a space station, so the consequence if you miss is that you'll die from decompression (I think the emojis are astronaut-bow&arrow-satellite), and the Consequence Golf one as golfing with a bomb, so the consequence of a miss or a short drive is being blown up.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

stilettoblade wrote:I read the Consequence Archery as archery on a space station, so the consequence if you miss is that you'll die from decompression (I think the emojis are astronaut-bow&arrow-satellite)...

Yeah, that's more likely to be what RM was going for.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:
{bowlingball} {Canadian flag} {ellipsis} {Mexican flag} {pin}{pin}{pin}{pin}

Personally I feel that Alpine bowling packs more entertainment into my limited time.
The Chinese have a great hybrid bowling alley but it is hard to find a time slot to play thanks to all the tourists and the fact there is only one lane available.

Meh, only little kids can play that lane, anyway. It takes years to take down the bumpers...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”